HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

A Peek at Sather's plan?

Old
07-31-2008, 09:20 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
funny thing is, Dolan is such a Scum Bag that he probably told Slats to do that
Not sure what you're trying to say here. What does Dolan have to do with this? You wouldn't jump at Sundin for 500k?

07-31-2008, 09:22 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
If we want Kovy he will definately command between $7.5-$8.5 mil

We already have:
Drury @7
Gomer @7
Lundy @ 6.75 about
Redden @6.5
Rosy @ 5.5 or 5 can't remember right now
Staal @ ? but chances are it will be over $4

remember these are all long term contracts. Putting another Big contract at long term would be horrible cap management.

Now out of these:

Lundy - no way we trade
Staal - No way we trade

Redden - Salary and years makes it highly unlikely we can trade him

Rosy - If he plays well we could maybe move him... if not there is no way we can and it will leave our d thin again.

Drury- Possibility we can trade him if he waives NMC. Would probably have some value especially to teams looking to keep near cap floor while saving money since he is frontloaded. Plus we have an abundance of centers. gomez, Dubi, Ani, Fritsche, Betts, Moore, Korpi can play center, Pyatt, Dupont, Stepan, Grachev (i think) where he will not be missed. Leadership isn't a problem as Gomez is a leader, and Dubi has obvious leadership skills, so does Cally if he still here. Plus we still have redden.

Gomez - Same as above, but problem is is that he is our only true playmaker. he would be the one to play w/ Kovy. He would be easier to trade and would could probably fetch more than Drury. I would do a Gomez + prospect + pick for Kovy in a heartbeat, and just hope that Ani becomes a good playmaker in a couple years to keep feeding kovy. Having your top three wingers of Kovy, Zherdev and hopefully cherry sounds awfully intoxicating.
You deal Rozsival. Prucha is gone. And you find a way to get rid of Naslund. Rismiller is gone.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 09:24 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
You deal Rozsival. Prucha is gone. And you find a way to get rid of Naslund. Rismiller is gone.
uh Naslund also has a NMC so we can't get rid of him. and again who replaces Rozy. he is a top 3 dman, which will cost $ to replace. So there will still be cap problems, and if we do deal Rozy our defense will be much weaker, as we don't have anybody nearly ready to step in and make a big impact.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 09:26 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Kovalchuk is not a free agent after this season. He's a free agent after 09-10 (2 seasons from now), which means Naslund is already off the books and the cap has had 2 seasons to rise/fall.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 09:26 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
uh Naslund also has a NMC so we can't get rid of him. and again who replaces Rozy. he is a top 3 dman, which will cost $ to replace. So there will still be cap problems, and if we do deal Rozy our defense will be much weaker, as we don't have anybody nearly ready to step in and make a big impact.
At that point you have to hope thay Sauer or Saguinetti is ready.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 09:35 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
At that point you have to hope thay Sauer or Saguinetti is ready.
Sangs could be but I wouldn't bet on Sauer, he is coming off of major surgery, and frankly he can't stay healthy at all. I really dont think he is going to make it.

I just don't see how we can keep Kovy, Zherdev(who knows what his contract will be), Lundy, Gomer, Drury, Redden, Staal. Too many high contracts. one of Gomer or Drury will have to go, and are the most likely candidates as we have plenty of centers. Dubi should be a solid 2nd line center (maybe even a 1c) by then and Ani should be at least a 3c w/ a possibility to be a 2c by then. We will still have one of Drury or Gomez. It's really a no brainer who should go. Drury will be 33 by then, w/ 2 years left on contract w/ little money owed to him. he is a prime candidate to be traded as he takes up cap space (great for low budget teams) who isn't owed a lot. The only obstacle is his NMC. Plus he will be starting on the downside of his career while basically the ENTIRE team would be starting to go into their primes, and a couple players are in their primes.

It really is a no brainer of who should be traded at that time, and it is Drury. The contracts themselves would almost cancel each other out, which means there really shouldn't be any other cap questions/problems. Plus it lets our young players play at their natural positions, and play w/ wingers who will be w/ them for a while developing that chemistry thing that is so important to develop over long periods of time.

Last edited by DontStepanMe: 07-31-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old
07-31-2008, 09:50 AM
Celestial Black

Quote:
What has Boumeester done to warrant 8M a year?

I think the defense is set for the near future. Staal still needs to be extended. Redden is hear for the foreseeable future.

And while Rozsival might be dealt, I don't see it being now when he's just resigned. That sends an awful message to potential UFAs.

And I thnk ultimately Slats' target is going to be Kovalchuk.
It is something that I hope is in his targets.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 10:35 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Kovalchuk's contract expires at the same time Naslund's does.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 10:44 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I don't think it's a coincidence that Kovalchuk's contract expires at the same time Naslund's does.
and I think that is because of Staal, not Kovy.

Old
07-31-2008, 10:46 AM
NYR Viper

the thing i dont understand.......

why not just trade for boumeester now?.....

people are saying they would trade rozsival and prucha....that would be a start....

i would love to get boumeester.....honestly....i would rather have boumeester than kovalchuk but that is just me....i like my team to be solid defensively and be able to move the puck from the back-end.......scoring can be found from many places

is it possible that all of these redeundant parts are going to be part of something bigger?.....a HUGE trade?

on sundin, i wouldnt be opposed if he signed for something like naslunds deal(for 1 year) but anything over that i think puts the rangers into cap hell and thye would have to move othjer important pieces

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 10:48 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
and I think that is because of Staal, not Kovy.
You're entitled to think whatever you want. Doesn't mean I agree though.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 10:53 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
when do we ever agree?

Old
07-31-2008, 10:55 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
its probably both.......

Old
07-31-2008, 10:56 AM
in the hall

There is no way they would trade a player they just signed. They wouldn't be able to sign a free agent ever again

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:20 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
You know, I like Sundin and everything but he is being a real ***** about this whole thing IMO. He has already taken a month to make up his mind and he is not going to decide on August 1st like he said. I hate that my team has to wait for this guy before anything is done. There is no doubt it's a better team with Mats at the top center, but I really really really doubt he signs for anything less than 6. If that happens who is going to be traded to make room for him? Prucha? Not enough there. It would have to be Chris Drury or Scott Gomez as the odd man out.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:34 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
You know, I like Sundin and everything but he is being a real ***** about this whole thing IMO. He has already taken a month to make up his mind and he is not going to decide on August 1st like he said. I hate that my team has to wait for this guy before anything is done. There is no doubt it's a better team with Mats at the top center, but I really really really doubt he signs for anything less than 6. If that happens who is going to be traded to make room for him? Prucha? Not enough there. It would have to be Chris Drury or Scott Gomez as the odd man out.
and honestly i'd rather have Drury/Gomez for 4-6 years than Sundin for 1 year

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 07:29 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
and honestly i'd rather have Drury/Gomez for 4-6 years than Sundin for 1 year
Sundin>Gomez in almost every way possible to a hockey team.

Better leader
Better player
Better for our cap

If it's a 1 year deal he could leave and give us plenty of space to sign Kovalchuk or Jaybo in the future.

Old
07-31-2008, 09:00 PM
NorthlandPro

What if Sundin signs real cheap, league minimum and Newsday and Cablevision sign him to be a contributing hockey writer doing a weekly piece alla Brooks for Newsday and a weekly Hockey show for Cablevison? What could the league do?

NorthlandPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 09:40 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Sundin>Gomez in almost every way possible to a hockey team.

Better leader
Better player
Better for our cap

If it's a 1 year deal he could leave and give us plenty of space to sign Kovalchuk or Jaybo in the future.
super big pass on sundin....especially when it means getting rid of gomez......

this makes perfect sense!!......sign an over the hill player for a one year deal and center the offense around him for one year and hope to god an UFA signs with the rangers(and overpay for them because they are desperate)............perfect sense......

Old
07-31-2008, 09:55 PM
ebn

I think doesn't mean it's going to happen. But if Sundin chooses the Rangers then they will trade Drury. Put Sundin in Drury's place. Sundin will sign for two years. If Naslund got two years Sundin will too. Sundin right now is like Shanahan when we got him two years ago. Althought Shanahan signed one year deal Sundin is considered better and no sense having Sundin for one year. After two years we will see where Naslund and Sundin fit. If they are too old they come off the books and we get someone else.

ebn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 09:56 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Sather i think has no intentions of trading Drury or Gomez.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 10:28 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn View Post
I think doesn't mean it's going to happen. But if Sundin chooses the Rangers then they will trade Drury. Put Sundin in Drury's place. Sundin will sign for two years. If Naslund got two years Sundin will too. Sundin right now is like Shanahan when we got him two years ago. Althought Shanahan signed one year deal Sundin is considered better and no sense having Sundin for one year. After two years we will see where Naslund and Sundin fit. If they are too old they come off the books and we get someone else.
why is it people want to give a 31 y/o center for a 37 y/o center......why not build around a player who wants to play in NY during his prime and for more then a couple of years.....its not easy to build a team around one player...it takes time......

Old
07-31-2008, 11:08 PM
ebn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
why is it people want to give a 31 y/o center for a 37 y/o center......why not build around a player who wants to play in NY during his prime and for more then a couple of years.....its not easy to build a team around one player...it takes time......
Sundin had 32 goals last year and 46 assists. Much better than Drury. He was a captain of the aple Leafs fr years. Plus Sundin Naslund Zherdev makes a very dangerous line. Losing Drury in my mind is no big deal. In two years there will be somebody else. Also Anisimov and Dubinsky will be two years older and ready.
What are you going to do with Drury when Ansimov is ready to step in anyway.

ebn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 11:39 PM
Radek27

Quote:
super big pass on sundin....especially when it means getting rid of gomez......

this makes perfect sense!!......sign an over the hill player for a one year deal and center the offense around him for one year and hope to god an UFA signs with the rangers(and overpay for them because they are desperate)............perfect sense......
You see, Kovalchuk and Jaybo are the type of guys you throw money at and overpay, not players like Drury and Gomez. And just because a player is older doesn't mean the younger player is better. I think most will agree that Sundin is the better complete player and a true top line center. If Sundin signs one of Drury or Gomez are gone. So are you saying we overpaid Gomez and Drury cause we were desperate? I'm tellin ya right now, no way we go into the season with what we got up front, just no way.

Old
08-01-2008, 08:38 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
b/c we shouldn't be building around the 31 year old center or our 29 year old center. That's the problem. the team is probably too young right now to win. What we should actually be building around right now is not Drury Gomez Redden or Rosy, but Dubinksy, Staal, Anisimov, Zherdev etc. They are the core. they are the FUTURE. Getting the 37 year old center for 2 years and getting rid of a high contract such as Drury or gomez would allow them to do just that. then in 2 years we have an extra $7mil in cap space to get a player who is just entering his prime or is in a prime. A player worthy of a contract that big. In two years Drury will be 33 and starting his decline (especially since he is a smaller player, who puts his body on the line alot). Gomez will be 31 and in his prime, but he is a complimentary player not a player to lead a team.

In two years we should have a line-up of players including the following:

Forwards:
Dubi
Ani
Korps
Cherry
Zherdev
Cally
Dawes

Maybe: Hillier, Grachev, Dupont, Pyatt, Zabo,

W/: hagelin, Stepan and other future draft picks waiting in the wings

Defense:
Staal
Girardi
Sanguinetti
Redden
Rosy

Maybe: Potter, Sauer

w/: Del zotto, Kundratek, Gaulton and other picks waiting in the wings.

of course there will be trades, but the point is is that our core players shouldn't be the aging guys that are in their prime NOW, but the young guys who are going to be going into their prime in 2-5 years together. That is when we need the extra cap space to put in a superstar to help them along, somebody like a Kovalchuk who just happens to be a UFA in 2 years and most likely will be available in a trade.

Boy wouldn't it be nice to have some cap space to get him and retain our youngins. it is not possible w/o moving a contract such as Drury or Gomez.