HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thank you Jay

Old
07-29-2008, 09:53 AM
FlaPanthers7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Yeah, maybe he will use the left over to sign another scorer?
Yeah, too bad JM says the roster is set although he would like to trade some of our excess d-men for forward help. But really, what are you going to get back for a gimpy Van Ryn???

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 09:56 AM
AngryBoss

I don't follow the Panthers very closely but I am an NHL fan and catch some of their games on Centre Ice.

I think it's fairly obvious that Jay wants out. But what are the exact reasons?

Is it because he doesn't like Jacques Martin? Is it because the team hasn't made the playoffs in a while? Or is it because he doesn't like the style of play the Panthers employ?

What if the Panthers were to fire Martin and get a GM with a less conservative approach. Or hired a coach similar to Bruce Boudreau? One that likes to play a more up-tempo style of game and lets Jay (and other Panthers) skate more?

Do you think he would sign a long-term deal then? Even if they didn't make the playoffs again, but the style was more fun?

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 10:04 AM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolemitesP1mpHand View Post
I don't follow the Panthers very closely but I am an NHL fan and catch some of their games on Centre Ice.

Is it because he doesn't like Jacques Martin? Is it because the team hasn't made the playoffs in a while? Or is it because he doesn't like the style of play the Panthers employ?

What if the Panthers were to fire Martin and get a GM with a less conservative approach. Or hired a coach similar to Bruce Boudreau? One that likes to play a more up-tempo style of game and lets Jay (and other Panthers) skate more?

Do you think he would sign a long-term deal then? Even if they didn't make the playoffs again, but the style was more fun?
JM has already come out to say that Bouw wants to see if we are good enough...Let jay skate more? Jay led the league in average min played...what more would he want other than a winning team?

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
JM has already come out to say that Bouw wants to see if we are good enough...Let jay skate more? Jay led the league in average min played...what more would he want other than a winning team?
Not to mention the Panthers DID in fact go out and hired a coach who has an offensive, attacking the puck, wanting to score more, attitude in Peter Deboer. I hope this team really does come out next season with a new sense of urgency and passion for the game.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 11:32 AM
hoax15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
Not to mention the Panthers DID in fact go out and hired a coach who has an offensive, attacking the puck, wanting to score more, attitude in Peter Deboer. I hope this team really does come out next season with a new sense of urgency and passion for the game.
The media has been putting a lot of stress on DeBoer about starting the season off well this time and whenever he answers those questions he usually tells us exactly what we want to here so i'm excited.

Old
07-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Anod

Quote:

He has hired an offensive style coach (i though Boudreau was a defense first coach)in Peter Deboer. This is hopefully the reason why Jay Bouwmeester wants to wait and see before signing longterm. I mean wouldn't you want to meet the coach before signing yourself to a life long hockey contract? Nobody really knows why Jay Bouwmeester doesn't want to sign BUT from the interviews from Jacques, it looks like he wants to see if the team is going in the right direction first.

Anod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 11:47 AM
dhasek3910

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

Sad to hear someone actually write out what this deal most likely means

dhasek3910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhasek3910 View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

Sad to hear someone actually write out what this deal most likely means
Pretty much on the mark though I think Bouw's long-term Panthers future was sealed the moment DQD traded down to the third overall pick knowing he could still get Bouw and for less bonus money too.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 03:28 PM
hoax15

There have been a few quotes from management and GR saying that Bouw wants to see if the panthers are the team he wants to stay with long term so i would at least wait until Jay says something himself to accuse management.

Last edited by Acadmus: 07-29-2008 at 03:40 PM. Reason: referring to moderator contact, not needed.
Old
07-29-2008, 03:40 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
There's a huge difference between ice time and actually allowing a player the freedom to use his skating skills.

Hopefully Deboer will do that.

It still remains to be seen if he'll be an offensive minded coach. Look at some of the more defensive coaches in the league - Jacques Lemaire, Claude Julian, Alain Vigneault - all came from the QMJHL where defense is a dirty word.

Old
07-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
There's a huge difference between ice time and actually allowing a player the freedom to use his skating skills.

It still remains to be seen if he'll be an offensive minded coach. Look at some of the more defensive coaches in the league - Jacques Lemaire, Claude Julian, Alain Vigneault - all came from the QMJHL where defense is a dirty word.
I know Lemaire was a defenseman, and for some reason I'm thinking so was Vigneault. What about Julian? If guys come from a league that shuns defense, wouldn't it stand to reason that would make defensemen a bit...well...defensive? And if they make it to coaching they'd take an aggressive stance toward stressing defense to "show" their old league how important defense is and how it can win games? I mean, Lemaire certainly has done a lot with a defense-first approach.

07-29-2008, 03:45 PM
hoax15

Quote:
I watched around 75+ games last season and Jay was flying in from the blue line almost every 5 min and thats how he got the career high in goals this season in my mind. He knows when to push and when to stay back, i think thats just Jay's style.

Old
07-29-2008, 04:09 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
I know Lemaire was a defenseman, and for some reason I'm thinking so was Vigneault. What about Julian? If guys come from a league that shuns defense, wouldn't it stand to reason that would make defensemen a bit...well...defensive? And if they make it to coaching they'd take an aggressive stance toward stressing defense to "show" their old league how important defense is and how it can win games? I mean, Lemaire certainly has done a lot with a defense-first approach.
My point was that they were all offensive-minded coaches in the Q.

Old
07-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
My point was that they were all offensive-minded coaches in the Q.
ah...sorry, thought you meant they'd come from the Q as players, not as coaches

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 04:17 PM
Anod

Quote:

peter Deboer himself has already come out to say he stresses puck possesion and keeping the puck in the offensive zone. Detroit red wings style. He has also stated that he does not believe in the neutral zone trap.

Anod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

L.A. is not trading Kopitar to us, not even for Frolik, Matthias, and 2 1sts.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
You're probably right.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 10:17 AM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anod View Post
peter Deboer himself has already come out to say he stresses puck possesion and keeping the puck in the offensive zone. Detroit red wings style. He has also stated that he does not believe in the neutral zone trap.
lets see what he says after 20 games.....

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 03:40 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post
lets see what he says after 20 games.....
Meaning...what?

07-31-2008, 03:54 AM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Don't mind him, he's crazy.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 09:11 AM
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post

Jacques Lemaire was a forward and member of MTLs "Dynasty Line" in the 70s...

Vigneault and Julien were NHL defensemen

GameSeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 10:22 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSeven View Post
Jacques Lemaire was a forward and member of MTLs "Dynasty Line" in the 70s...

Vigneault and Julien were NHL defensemen
I'll get right on dusting those cobwebs out of my memory

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 10:26 AM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Agreed.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote