HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nedved will attend NYR training camp

Old
07-31-2008, 10:04 AM
Forechecker

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Meh, looks like pure training camp fodder so Renney can have enough NHL vets on each team. No way he makes it out of camp.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 10:04 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
So you agree that it's a risk-free move.

Nobody is trying to recreate a career. They didn't give him a multi-year, one way contract.

Dan Girardi was a "free thing."

Nedved was everything that was wrong about this organization? Very simple thing to say.

I'm not/was never a big Nedved fan, but the guy is being killed for little reason.

actually not trying to kill anyone. i just equate nedved to very bad memories of this team in the dark times. im just not understanding the reason for his trying out at all. now if this was someone say who could bring something to this team that is needed, and still has game, i would say go for it.

but nedved? he brings nothing.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 10:05 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
but nedved? he brings nothing.
That's the beauty of this. Is he does indeed show "nothing", you send him home.

07-31-2008, 10:08 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Me too....

I'm surprised at how many people are ok with this. Even if Nedved makes the team out of camp (much the way tikkanen did a few years back when he was way over the hill) it doesn't mean anything.....

my fear is nedved does enough to make the team and JUST enough to keep his roster spot thus blocking a younger player that is earning a shot in Hartford......

Nedved isn't a warrior as some have called him...He's not a third line center.....He was bad two years ago in the league, does anybody think he's suddenly found the fountain of youth? Somehow he's going to be an upgrade over one of the centers already here?

all summer long it's been preached how the "culture" of the team has changed (the old messier cliche) and now we want to go back to one of the players that were around during the "dark times." huh? maybe it's just me but i don't get it...

but lets welcome it because there is no risk...sure there is a risk...the risk is he makes the team.....players don't get younger..they get older...his skills were gone two years ago.....

Tikkanen? Going more than a little back in history, no?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 10:11 AM
AK2794

Quote:
"He who does not study his past is doomed to relive it."

AK2794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 10:12 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2794 View Post
"He who does not study his past is doomed to relive it."
Yes, but let's look at the past 4 years. There have not been moves like the Tikkanen move. Seems like they might have learned from history.

Old
07-31-2008, 10:13 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
what if he shows enough to make the team? are training camp and exhibition games ANYTHING like the regular season? Esa Tikkanen had a great camp in 98, did it mean anything when the season started? Brent Fedyk had a great camp in 99 did it mean anything?

The Rangers should've quietly and respectfully declined Nedveds overtures simply because it has more of potential to not work out then work out..

Nedved is pushing 40 years old, he didn't dominate in the Czech league last season and doesn't deserve this shot...What has he done in the past 5 years to warrant another chance at the NHL level?

If the Rangers are moving on from eras in the past why bring back one of the pillars of the collapsed building? There is no symbolism in bringing back Nedved (at least there shouldn't be) nor is there any reason to see what Nedved has.....If this team is really moving on why possibly block Anisimov or Korpikoski with a 38 year old who couldn't cut it in the AHL two years ago? It makes no sense...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 10:16 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:

He lit up camp in 98 and looked lost when the season started...

It's a good example of a veteran showing something in camp only to fold quickly when the season started......

history does have tendacy to repeat itself, no?

Old
07-31-2008, 10:18 AM
TheHotRock

SOS, you're bugging out for no reason, you're reminding me of a radio talk show host.

its not like we signed him to a multi year one way deal with millions guaranteed. dude is coming to training camp....what's the problem?

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 10:20 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
dude is coming to training camp....what's the problem?
You answered your own question.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 10:21 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
SOS, you're bugging out for no reason, you're reminding me of a radio talk show host.

its not like we signed him to a multi year one way deal with millions guaranteed. dude is coming to training camp....what's the problem?

the problem is nedved has no business being in camp...

if this team is moving away from the past why bring back nedved? I'd rather see what anisimov can do in camp then give nedved shifts....maybe it's just me but i've seen enough of petr nedved in the past to say for sure he's finished as an nhl player...

i think the rangers will give nedved every chance to make the roster......

Old
07-31-2008, 10:25 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
BSB's take is a lot more iffy on whether he'll actually be at camp. It sounds like they agreed to talk about it. The reality is with the schedule the Rangers have in pre-season, they need all the NHL bodies they can get to field two teams.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 10:28 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
BSB's take is a lot more iffy on whether he'll actually be at camp. It sounds like they agreed to talk about it. The reality is with the schedule the Rangers have in pre-season, they need all the NHL bodies they can get to field two teams.
I think that's BS...no offense but i really think it is...

Teams play 4 games in 4 nights in the pre-season...If you have 40 guys in camp that means everybody is playing every other night....

Old
07-31-2008, 10:35 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
and if he does show "something", what, we keep him around and send home a korpikoski or a byers or a moore or trade a prucha....

sorry, i seee no upside to having him anywhere near camp let alone possibly making this team.

Old
07-31-2008, 10:39 AM
squishy

Dellapina's got a pretty clean translation of Nedved's comments:

Quote:
I have to be realistic and I dont see a big chance, he told Czech reporters. Its probably (a) closed chapter for me But you never say never. Some offers could come, but from my point of view it depends from where it would be. There are teams I would have accepted and there are teams I would have just thanked for their interest.

As for the Rangers?

Weve come to an agreement theyll give me a chance. There is nothing granted for me from Glen Sather which I understand. Im not in situation I could demand any kind of assurance. Its pure tryout for me - make a team or leave. Im no fool, I know Im not coming there to tear down the first line. And sure, Im not to accept a marginal role as a fourth-line player. But I believe Im still capable to play third line there.
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...e-nhl-but.html

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 10:43 AM
otto1219

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Dellapina's got a pretty clean translation of Nedved's comments:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...e-nhl-but.html
i am in no way against him playing third line....

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 10:44 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
He lit up camp in 98 and looked lost when the season started...

history does have tendacy to repeat itself, no?
I fail to see how Tikkanen ten years ago is relevant. Different team, different time, different mindset.

Old
07-31-2008, 10:51 AM
NYR Viper

less playing time for the players who will be on the team.....and who are in the rangers plans........another 3rd liner....i am just totally confused on this......

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 10:55 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219 View Post
i am in no way against him playing third line....
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!

This team has 3rd and 4th line talent coming out of its rear-end.

If he impresses Renney in camp to the point where the coach feels he can be a top 6 talent in the NHL again (he wont), then he'll make this team. Burying some kid in favor of Petr Nedved on the 3rd line is a late 90s move.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 10:56 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
less playing time for the players who will be on the team.....and who are in the rangers plans........another 3rd liner....i am just totally confused on this......
i guess sather's message to the kids, if u cant beat our former nhl players on tryouts, well u need more time in the minors. if i am korpikoski id just stay in finland i dont like this move one bit, if we gave a 27 year old nhl player a tryout id feel different but nedved is 38 honestly id rather have sather just sign messier, id rather have him play 3rd line.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 11:04 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
He worked hard. He took hits to make plays.

I guess my point is there were so many others who were worse citizens and worse producers than Nedved that I fail to see why he is the target of your ire.

Especially with the likes of Kamensky, K Stevens, Hathcer, Quintal, etc.
Nedved really did work hard......the problem is Rangers fans were too hard on him with too many expectations of player that he wasnt.

Sure I think there were times where he couldve maybe played a little harder here and there, but I also think like SBOB said is true, there were worse players here during that era and yet it seems Nedved is the one thats hated the most.

He took a lot of hits and no one ever stuck up for him, there was no Colton Orr. He could only stick up for himself: ex: Wade Belak went after him at the Garden and Nedved turned around and went back at him.

Nedved wasnt a 50 goal scorer for us but he did a servicable job and he liked played here in New York. Maybe that has motivated him enough to come to camp in good shape and ready to work hard.

This really cant hurt, its a win-win

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 11:06 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Nedved really did work hard......the problem is Rangers fans were too hard on him with too many expectations of player that he wasnt.

Sure I think there were times where he couldve maybe played a little harder here and there, but I also think like SBOB said is true, there were worse players here during that era and yet it seems Nedved is the one thats hated the most.

He took a lot of hits and no one ever stuck up for him, there was no Colton Orr. He could only stick up for himself: ex: Wade Belak went after him at the Garden and Nedved turned around and went back at him.

Nedved wasnt a 50 goal scorer for us but he did a servicable job and he liked played here in New York. Maybe that has motivated him enough to come to camp in good shape and ready to work hard.

This really cant hurt, its a win-win
id rather have messier come back, at least mess had grit toughness and that in your face attitude. imagine messier teaching dubinsky some things

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

"And sure, Im not to accept a marginal role as a fourth-line player. But I believe Im still capable to play third line there.

ugh. double ugh.

so that says what to our plethora of 3rd line types we already have? heres a guy whos pushing 40, hasnt played in the nhl in 2 years and when he did last, was part of a bad philly team playin 10 minutes a game doin zippo.

please just stop this madness....

he thinks he "could play the 3rd line there". if thats true, were doomed.

Old
zestystrat

Theres that Nedved scapegoating I mentioned at the beginning of the thread.

Does anyone see him displacing Gomez, Drury, Dubinsky or even Betts? I dont either.

But if he does, isnt the point to ice the best team? If he cant cut it, hes gone.

People seem like they are reacting to this more on an emotional level and less about what could help the team.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 11:10 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
I fail to see how Tikkanen ten years ago is relevant. Different team, different time, different mindset.
Singn,

how is not relevent? It's history repeating itself with Nedved instead of Tikkanen, i didn't realize there was a statue of limitations on history repeating itself....

Nedved has no nothing to deserve another chance.....

Did he play well his last two years in the NHL?

no...

Did he dominate in the Czech league?

no...

Do the Rangers have kids that are more deserving of a look in camp?

yes..