HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nedved will attend NYR training camp

Old
07-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
They're probably trying to see if he's a suitable option to center the 3rd line. That allows Dubinsky to play on the 2nd line and move Drury to the wing all while keeping Fritsche on the wing. Also allows Anisimov more time to develop with the Pack.

Assuming all of this nonsense about the Rangers still being after Sundin is true, they're going to need another option if operation baldy doesn't come to fruition. Unless Nedved really dominates, he's probably plan D.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 11:14 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Doesn't really matter to me. If he signs with the team then that means he has earned the spot for a year. Whats the worst that could happen if he is on the 3rd line? If he is committed to getting in shape and working hard to get back on the team then by all means give him a shot.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 11:16 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I think everyone is way over-reacting to this. If, on the extreme longshot, he does make the team, his contract will be negligible and most certainly bonus-laden. My guess is that Slats wants to show players that he is open to them. I think it will help the Rangers reputation, especially with Europeans, in the long run,

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 11:18 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
They're probably trying to see if he's a suitable option to center the 3rd line. That allows Dubinsky to play on the 2nd line and move Drury to the wing all while keeping Fritsche on the wing. Also allows Anisimov more time to develop with the Pack.

Assuming all of this nonsense about the Rangers still being after Sundin is true, they're going to need another option if that operation baldy doesn't come to fruition. Unless Nedved really dominates, he's probably plan D.
So guys that shouldn't be shifted around the lineup get the shaft for Petr Nedved...

Awesome!!!

Right now we have one to man guys...one of Callahan, Prucha, Sjostrom etc are not playing if everybody stays healthy...

If nedved made the team that would mean two younger, hungrier, and BETTER players would have to sit so OLD #93 can play again in the NHL.....at 39...in a role he couldn't succeed at two years ago...

nedved has no business being at camp...none...i'm all for outside the box thinking but this is just to outside the box for me...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 11:20 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Doesn't really matter to me. If he signs with the team then that means he has earned the spot for a year. Whats the worst that could happen if he is on the 3rd line? If he is committed to getting in shape and working hard to get back on the team then by all means give him a shot.
so besides callahan (a guy you have being cut or traded in another thread) what other young player would you endorse getting the shaft for Nedved?

On a team that is overflowing with 3rd line players bringing in a borderline 3rd liner for a look is pointless...imo

Old
07-31-2008, 11:43 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
so besides callahan (a guy you have being cut or traded in another thread) what other young player would you endorse getting the shaft for Nedved?

On a team that is overflowing with 3rd line players bringing in a borderline 3rd liner for a look is pointless...imo
thats my stance as well.....something just doesnt make sense.....

i mean just looking at who the rangers have who is nhl ready:
centers:
gomez
drury
dubinsky
betts
moore(?)

wings:
naslund
zherdev
dawes
callahan
sjostrom
fritsche
prucha
orr
voros
rissmiller
korpikoski(?)
byers(?)
jessiman(?)
parenteau(?)

i mean the crazy thing is they already have 10 players who should be in the nhl this season....not including any of the (?)'s i have. nedved does not make any sense....less ice time for a younger player like korpikoski who needs that time to get better and get more experience

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 11:46 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
the thing about Korpikoski is that his salary makes it hard for him to come up this year....

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 11:50 AM
Forechecker

For the record, I do not want Nedved on this team. BUT, playing the ol' advocate of the devil here, don't we want the best team on the ice? If Nedved outplays all the other 3rd line options, doesn't that make him the best choice for the team? If he craps out, ship him to Hartford and bring up someone useful. Maybe this allows the team to experiment with Drury on the wing for a month, with Dubi as his center?

Again, I see no way in hell, unless it's just for the trip to Prague, do I see Nedved making this team, but if he does make the third line better, why not?

Old
07-31-2008, 11:53 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
For the record, I do not want Nedved on this team. BUT, playing the ol' advocate of the devil here, don't we want the best team on the ice? If Nedved outplays all the other 3rd line options, doesn't that make him the best choice for the team? If he craps out, ship him to Hartford and bring up someone useful. Maybe this allows the team to experiment with Drury on the wing for a month, with Dubi as his center?

Again, I see no way in hell, unless it's just for the trip to Prague, do I see Nedved making this team, but if he does make the third line better, why not?
because he ruins the experience a player like callahan, korpikoski or sjostrom could get from playing there which could help the team down the road a hell of a lot more than having nedved on the third line this season

Old
07-31-2008, 11:55 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I hate this time of year, the crazy threads and now news like this. Which is NOTHING in the end. Nedved will come to camp, he'll play, give some info to the younger guys and then he'll be gone. NO harm whatsoever. And at the same time, we thank him for his years of loyalty and service.

One thing that hasnt been mentioned - Nedved gets alot of respect from hockey brass around the world. The guy defected at 17 at a time when that wasn't so easy. He is more than just a hiockey player, and sometimes you make exceptions for men like this.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
the thing about Korpikoski is that his salary makes it hard for him to come up this year....
It probably does but it didn't have to be this way...Is there anything Rissmiller brings that Korpikoski can't bring?

but that's besides the point...why should the rangers bring in another guy for the 3rd line? Just looking at things on paper do the Rangers have a NEED for nedved..

Old
07-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
because he ruins the experience a player like callahan, korpikoski or sjostrom could get from playing there which could help the team down the road a hell of a lot more than having nedved on the third line this season
Well, isn't the point of training camp to win/earn a spot on the team? Of the three you mentioned, Korp is by far the longest shot right now. Even with Nedved, the team would be a blend of youth and experience, and a very young team at that. Plus, wouldn't a youngster be better off getting top line minutes in HFD versus 3rd line minutes in the NHL?

Old
07-31-2008, 11:59 AM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
One thing that hasnt been mentioned - Nedved gets alot of respect from hockey brass around the world. The guy defected at 17 at a time when that wasn't so easy. He is more than just a hiockey player, and sometimes you make exceptions for men like this.

Old
07-31-2008, 12:01 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Well, isn't the point of training camp to win/earn a spot on the team? Of the three you mentioned, Korp is by far the longest shot right now. Even with Nedved, the team would be a blend of youth and experience, and a very young team at that. Plus, wouldn't a youngster be better off getting top line minutes in HFD versus 3rd line minutes in the NHL?
i dont think so......there is a big deal in practicing with the big club, playing 12-15 minutes a night is much better fot their development than playing 20 mins a night in HFD....its not the same competition.........plus then you take another spot from someone who should be on the HFD team like hillier or zaborsky who should be getting minutes(and it keeps going down in the system)

Old
07-31-2008, 12:02 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I hate this time of year, the crazy threads and now news like this. Which is NOTHING in the end. Nedved will come to camp, he'll play, give some info to the younger guys and then he'll be gone. NO harm whatsoever. And at the same time, we thank him for his years of loyalty and service.

Do those same people that "respect" him for what he did as a 17 year old also "respect" him for sitting out almost two seasons during contract disputes...both times forcing teams to trade him...

93-Vancouver to St. Louis

98 Pittsburgh to New York

Is that the sort of guy that should be giving advice to young players? "Hey Brandon here is how you get more money in the league....just sit out"

Didn't the Rangers thank Nedved enough by not bouncing his checks over the years?

Also when you think of players that need to be thanked for there loyalty and service is Nedved one of those guys that comes to mind?

Is this much ado about nothing? probably, but it beats projecting the teams right defenseman...

Old
07-31-2008, 12:04 PM
Forechecker

SOS,

Player's can't sit out anymore since the CBA won't allow contract renegotiations.

Just sayin'...

Old
07-31-2008, 12:06 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
no....the youngster is playing on the 3rd line which last time i checked gets good amount of even strength playing time. (can you name another team the roles 2 lines?)

Old
07-31-2008, 12:10 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Is this much ado about nothing? probably, but it beats projecting the teams right defenseman...

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

let the logjam keep on coming.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
SOS,

Player's can't sit out anymore since the CBA won't allow contract renegotiations.

Just sayin'...

They can as Restricted Free Agents...which is what Nedved did...twice...but that's not even the point...the point is the guy shouldn't be getting a look in training camp...

Old
07-31-2008, 12:13 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
How is this a bad thing?
Maybe because we have a logjam of forwards as it is?

Gomez
Drury
Naslund
Zherdev
Dubinsky
Dawes
Prucha
Callahan
Betts
Sjostrom
Voros
Rismiller
Orr
Korpikoski

Bottom 5 will be fighting for two spots and that leaves 3 guys out. If we sign Nedved where will he play? Who gets traded? Who plays in Hartford? There is so much that would have to be done in order for this to even become a realistic possibility.

07-31-2008, 12:16 PM
chosen

Quote:
So guys that shouldn't be shifted around the lineup get the shaft for Petr Nedved...

Awesome!!!

Right now we have one to man guys...one of Callahan, Prucha, Sjostrom etc are not playing if everybody stays healthy...

If nedved made the team that would mean two younger, hungrier, and BETTER players would have to sit so OLD #93 can play again in the NHL.....at 39...in a role he couldn't succeed at two years ago...

nedved has no business being at camp...none...i'm all for outside the box thinking but this is just to outside the box for me...
I think you're losing sight of something. The business of hockey isn't about anyone getting the shaft. Whoever plays the best, plays. Period.

If Nedved is better than Callahan or whomever he plays and the other fellow sits. This isn't a New Age gym class where we should worry about hurting a child's feelings.

No one is owed anything in business and sports is a business like any other. You outperform the other guy or you are out the door.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 12:21 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I would throw up if Nedved makes this team. Having to watch that guy again in a Rangers sweater would be unbearable!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 12:22 PM
JLand

Saw this here: http://webleedblue.net/showthread.php?t=4218&page=2

Quote:
"He has spoken with Tom and Glen and passed up some other offers in Europe, wanting to come to camp with the opportunity to earn a job here," a Rangers spokesman confirmed a few moments ago. "There is no commitment on our end."
So I don't think there's any real risk here. If he plays better than Dubinsky, Fritsche or Callahan in camp, then I guess he (Nedved) would deserve a spot over those guys.

Plus it sounds more like a "one more practice for the goold old' times" than a serious attempt to have him on the team. They always bring in some odd people to the camp to have full teams in scrimmages etc.

JLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 12:24 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

I see no harm in it. He has no chance of making the team.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote