HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Option c..or d...or z

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-29-2008, 12:40 PM
  #1
echlfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 925
vCash: 500
Option c..or d...or z

Parrish put on waivers today...thoughts???

Worstfaceoffmanuver we know your answer is no, because you are the eternal optimist that our young guys are going to be stars...so don't worry about responding.

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 12:53 PM
  #2
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
No! Can't fill a top-six role. 3 years remaining on his contract at 2+ million per. Would block one of our younger guys from taking a bottom six role and growing from there.

Honestly, how did I guess that as soon as I saw that Parrish was on waivers that you would be making a post, much less an entire thread, on picking him up???

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 12:59 PM
  #3
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,509
vCash: 500
I liked Parrish once upon a time, but even then, he was a fringe top 6 forward. If he is bought out, I wouldn't be adverse to giving a 1-2 year deal on our terms, but I do not see the point in picking him up at what he is owed. Frankly, in this instance, the kids would probably be just as good at a scoring role....

__________________
- Enoch -
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 03:32 PM
  #4
crossxcheck
Registered User
 
crossxcheck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Nashvegas
Country: United States
Posts: 2,762
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
for that money and contract, I'd rather just try out one of the young guys we have.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 06:48 PM
  #5
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,415
vCash: 500
Wouldn't claim him off waivers but if we can sign him to a deal afterwards, I'd be more than willing to give him a shot. Maybe let him come into camp unsigned. It worked for Yanic Perreault.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 11:45 PM
  #6
echlfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 925
vCash: 500
Preds express interest in Parrish as per the Tennessean today...signs that times are at least shifting, not yet changing

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 11:50 PM
  #7
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
Preds express interest in Parrish as per the Tennessean today...signs that times are at least shifting, not yet changing
Hallelujah, some kind of news!

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 10:22 AM
  #8
TBFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Far from here
Country: United States
Posts: 358
vCash: 500
He would be a good pickup and would definetly be a top 6 player on this team right now. Be curious at what price he can be had since being bought out.

TBFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 11:43 AM
  #9
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,122
vCash: 500
i actually do think he woudl be a good fit here. since hartnell left, we've had no one to shovel in garbage...which we are actually pretty decent at creating. he's a one trick pony in that regard, but it's a trick that would be useful to us.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 01:00 PM
  #10
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
i actually do think he woudl be a good fit here. since hartnell left, we've had no one to shovel in garbage...which we are actually pretty decent at creating. he's a one trick pony in that regard, but it's a trick that would be useful to us.
Especially with Legwand's speed and Erat/Leggy's playmaking ability. He would slot in well on that line IMO.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 01:25 PM
  #11
echlfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 925
vCash: 500
having a top 6 group of

Arnott, Dumont, Legwand, Erat, Parrish and Hornqvist might even be an improvement from last years top 6. When you take away Zidlicky and Radulov, yes you lose goals and offense but the d-zone improves dramatically. Hornqvist should be able to put up decent numbers and Parrish should be able to make a little improvement by playing on a first or second line and in a less defensive system.

Additional skill depth with Jones, Philstrom, Tootoo, Fiddler.

With this addition I think most fans would feel a lot more comfortable entering the season

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 01:26 PM
  #12
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
having a top 6 group of

Arnott, Dumont, Legwand, Erat, Parrish and Hornqvist might even be an improvement from last years top 6. When you take away Zidlicky and Radulov, yes you lose goals and offense but the d-zone improves dramatically. Hornqvist should be able to put up decent numbers and Parrish should be able to make a little improvement by playing on a first or second line and in a less defensive system.

Additional skill depth with Jones, Philstrom, Tootoo, Fiddler.

With this addition I think most fans would feel a lot more comfortable entering the season
How is our "d-zone" improved dramatically again?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 01:30 PM
  #13
a79krgm
Registered User
 
a79krgm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: White Bear Lake
Country: United States
Posts: 675
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
Parrish had on off season last year. His injuries along with the birth of his first child were major distractions. I think he's good for 20 goals if given the chance. If he can be signed for under 1MM then he would be a bargain for any team.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 01:32 PM
  #14
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
How is our "d-zone" improved dramatically again?
I'm not trying to answer for echl, but our defensive zone should improve simply by having an in-shape/healthy Weber and another year of experience under the belts of our young blueline.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 01:34 PM
  #15
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I'm not trying to answer for echl, but our defensive zone should improve simply by having an in-shape/healthy Weber and another year of experience under the belts of our young blueline.
But dramatically?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 02:16 PM
  #16
echlfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 925
vCash: 500
Enoch I appreciate the help, but to clarify my comment regarding the d-zone.

Radulov with the exception of Bonk was our worst defensively responsible forwards, he was often a turnover machine, he rarely dumped the puck and had tunnel vision when he carried the puck. So by adding a veteran guy like Parrish who has played within a defense first system the last two years that improves a lot in one area.

Zidlicky, great offensive mindset but it is pretty hard to play defense when you are below the offensive goal line. Replacing him with VK (our top +/- player) or Klein then you improve the d-end. Also with the addition of a healthy Weber.

When you lose two of your top defensive liabilities and replace them with stronger d-zone players-I think that is a dramatic improvement. But, thats just me.

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 02:18 PM
  #17
predhead1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
But dramatically?
Radulov and Zids were both known as less than capable in our end, but I agree, I don't expect dramatic improvement solely by virtue of replacing them with others. The biggest changes will be as a result of another year of experience for Weber, Suter, Hammy.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 02:40 PM
  #18
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
Radulov with the exception of Bonk was our worst defensively responsible forwards, he was often a turnover machine, he rarely dumped the puck and had tunnel vision when he carried the puck.
Radulov was not a defensive minded player, no doubt about it. Not that we needed him to be of course.

Quote:
Zidlicky, great offensive mindset but it is pretty hard to play defense when you are below the offensive goal line. Replacing him with VK (our top +/- player) or Klein then you improve the d-end.
Zidlicky's defensive liabilities are becoming grossly overstated.

Quote:
When you lose two of your top defensive liabilities and replace them with stronger d-zone players-I think that is a dramatic improvement. But, thats just me.
But we also lose offensive pressure, which in turns creates more pressure on our defense.

We will probably be a bit better in our defensive zone, but I think it is a stretch to say that we will be dramatically better. And at what cost?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 07:28 PM
  #19
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
Radulov with the exception of Bonk was our worst defensively responsible forwards,
What game were you watching? Bonk was one of our top defensive forwards. That's why he was out there against the other team's top lines every night. He's our Sammy Pahlsson.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 07:31 PM
  #20
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 17,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
What game were you watching? Bonk was one of our top defensive forwards. That's why he was out there against the other team's top lines every night. He's our Sammy Pahlsson.
That's what they billed him as, a great defensive forward but he was far from that, imho, he's not even in Legwand's league defensively.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 10:14 PM
  #21
echlfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
What game were you watching? Bonk was one of our top defensive forwards. That's why he was out there against the other team's top lines every night. He's our Sammy Pahlsson.
Bonk was -31 what is your comeback to that Worstfaceoffmanuver??? Is that a TOP defensive forward? -10 I can understand but -31 wow!!! That is with his 14 goals that he got plus' for, which means he was on the ice for at LEAST 45 goals against minimum...add the totals of his line mates and you are close to 60 goals against that he was on the ice for

Worstfaceoffmanuver, I have looked at your comments for weeks now and you are the eternal optimist that our young kids are going to be studs, that Bonk is a great def fwd, among other totally off base comments. And, I have come to realize that you have no clue about hockey. But, it is fun to listen to your stuff.

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 11:26 PM
  #22
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
Bonk was -31 what is your comeback to that Worstfaceoffmanuver??? Is that a TOP defensive forward? -10 I can understand but -31 wow!!! That is with his 14 goals that he got plus' for, which means he was on the ice for at LEAST 45 goals against minimum...add the totals of his line mates and you are close to 60 goals against that he was on the ice for
Well let's look at a few things here:

1. What Bonk was going up against. Bonk was billed as our Sammy Pahlsson and used in that capacity, for the most part. He was going up against first lines all across the league every night. We're talking Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kariya, Patrick Kane, Rick Nash... that's a lot of offensive talent to go up against, and that's just in our own division. Going up against Datsyuk and Zetterberg 8 times a year definitely can't help your plus-minus (Bonk was a -6 in 27 games against the Central).
2. Plus-minus isn't exactly a good barometer for defensive ability, because you can get a minus from somebody else's mistake (for example, a Zanon turnover that leads to a Minnesota goal), or from a complete fluke- Cal O'Reilly once got a minus because a puck hit the shaft of his stick and went in the net. A lot of his bigger minus efforts are as much the responsibility of inconsistent defensemen and goaltenders as it is his defensive play. Also, I think it's worth noting that Bonk had four games at -3, where we played like complete crap defensively: a 6-0 loss to LA on 10/23, a 4-3 loss to Minnesota on 11/24, a 6-5 win over Ottawa on 11/29, and an 8-4 loss to Buffalo on 2/27. Those were collectively poor defensive efforts. Take out those four games and Bonk is a -19.
3. Bonk's inability to compensate offensively. If you look at his numbers, 11 of his 14 goals game before January 1st, and on 12/29 he had a foot injury that bugged him the rest of the year and had to wear a boot for most, if not all of the remainder of the season. I think that foot injury was bugging him a lot more than the organization let on. His lack of high-quality offensive linemates (Smithson, Ortmeyer, Fiddler, and Peverley mostly) also hurt his ability to produce and compensate. If we have a deeper team and can give him better linemates, Bonk's plus-minus is nowhere near that -31.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 12:02 AM
  #23
nine_inch_fang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Radulov was not a defensive minded player, no doubt about it. Not that we needed him to be of course.

Defensive minded....no but defensively aware would have been good.

Zidlicky's defensive liabilities are becoming grossly overstated.

Not that I disagree with you but this made me laugh coming from a....let's say slightly hyperbolic poster.

But we also lose offensive pressure, which in turns creates more pressure on our defense.

I don't think we'll lose any of our offensive pressure this year. Actually I think we might be better with Horn and a Parrish type in the top six.


We will probably be a bit better in our defensive zone, but I think it is a stretch to say that we will be dramatically better. And at what cost?
Personally I think or improvement on defense just may come close to drastically. I won't act like anyone that disagrees is totally wrong though.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 07:57 AM
  #24
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Well let's look at a few things here:

1. What Bonk was going up against. Bonk was billed as our Sammy Pahlsson and used in that capacity, for the most part. He was going up against first lines all across the league every night. We're talking Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kariya, Patrick Kane, Rick Nash... that's a lot of offensive talent to go up against, and that's just in our own division. Going up against Datsyuk and Zetterberg 8 times a year definitely can't help your plus-minus (Bonk was a -6 in 27 games against the Central).
2. Plus-minus isn't exactly a good barometer for defensive ability, because you can get a minus from somebody else's mistake (for example, a Zanon turnover that leads to a Minnesota goal), or from a complete fluke- Cal O'Reilly once got a minus because a puck hit the shaft of his stick and went in the net. A lot of his bigger minus efforts are as much the responsibility of inconsistent defensemen and goaltenders as it is his defensive play. Also, I think it's worth noting that Bonk had four games at -3, where we played like complete crap defensively: a 6-0 loss to LA on 10/23, a 4-3 loss to Minnesota on 11/24, a 6-5 win over Ottawa on 11/29, and an 8-4 loss to Buffalo on 2/27. Those were collectively poor defensive efforts. Take out those four games and Bonk is a -19.
3. Bonk's inability to compensate offensively. If you look at his numbers, 11 of his 14 goals game before January 1st, and on 12/29 he had a foot injury that bugged him the rest of the year and had to wear a boot for most, if not all of the remainder of the season. I think that foot injury was bugging him a lot more than the organization let on. His lack of high-quality offensive linemates (Smithson, Ortmeyer, Fiddler, and Peverley mostly) also hurt his ability to produce and compensate. If we have a deeper team and can give him better linemates, Bonk's plus-minus is nowhere near that -31.
I don't remember Bonk going up against other team's first lines every night last year...

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 08:45 AM
  #25
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 17,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I don't remember Bonk going up against other team's first lines every night last year...
me either and he wasn't much on penalty killing either with only 12 seconds a game on the kill.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.