HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I've Been Wanting to Say This...

Old
07-31-2008, 03:44 PM
MSG the place to be*

vCash: 500
I've Been Wanting to Say This...

There is a thread on the Trade Rumors page speculating Gomez going to Vancouver and Sundin coming to NY. Many Rangers fans are laughing at the thought of dealing our #1 Center.

This is what I posted there, and honestly I dont understand why this thinking isnt shared by everyone.

I am a huge Rangers fan and I dont understand where other Rangers fans are coming from when they laugh at getting rid of Gomez.

First let me say that the chances are probably 1 in a million.

Second let me say that I like Gomez - he gives solid production, he plays hard and is a likable guy off the ice.

*BUT the bottom line is that Gomez is NOT AN ASSET. In my opinion you have an asset to your organization when you have a young player who is underpaid or a guy who is making what they deserve. We all know that Gomez making 7.5 MM/yr is overpayment. How can he be considered a real asset to the team when if he was off the books we could replace him in any offseason with an equal or better player for the same money.

So as much as I like Gomez, I would get rid of him in a heartbeat if it meant bringing in Sundin for 2 years at around 5 MM and then while Gomez would still have 4 years left on his deal in 2 years, be able to sign an even better player than Gomez for 7.5 MM - 9 MM since the cap will go up in the next 2 years.

P.S. dont tell me it will hurt our image dealing a guy we brought in so recently.

Thoughts???

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 03:48 PM
Doyle

Neil Smith would agree.

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 03:48 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
In order for this to happen, Vancouver would have to sign Sundin, presumably at the $10MM they've offered him, and then trade Sundin to NY for Gomez. But, even with Gomez gone we can't afford Sundin's $10MM.

It's a stupid rumor.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 03:50 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
Neil Smith would agree.
Ah yes, the GM who brought us a Cup.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:07 PM
Doyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Ah yes, the GM who brought us a Cup.
And ran every team after that into the ground in favor of veterans who would not work out in the long run.

Old
07-31-2008, 04:08 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
And ran every team after that into the ground in favor of veterans who would not work out in the long run.
Ya know what you should do? Cry about it some more. I'll enjoy the Cup he helped bring to NYC.

I love Gomez. I love that he makes 7+ million. And further more I love that it pisses off some of our fans so much

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:12 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

A 29 year old first line center for a 37 year old aging vet whos considering retirement.

Yeah... that make ALL the sense in the world.

I'm actually mad at myself for even posting in this thread.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:13 PM
Doyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Ya know what you should do? Cry about it some more. I'll enjoy the Cup he helped bring to NYC.

I love Gomez. I love that he makes 7+ million. And further more I love that it pisses off some of our fans so much
I only cry when I watch Mess lift the cup...

...I was just pointing out that the original poster's move is something that resembled a move in which a GM like Neil Smith would make: trading a core player for a player who would only help in the immediate.

Old
07-31-2008, 04:14 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
I only cry when I watch Mess lift the cup...

...I was just pointing out that the original poster's move is something that resembled a move in which a GM like Neil Smith would make: trading a core player for a player who would only help in the immediate.
And who wouldnt even do that IMO.

Old
07-31-2008, 04:20 PM
Turambar

This has to be THE dumbest ****ing proposal by a Rangers fan I've ever seen on these boards.

JOrts, that you??

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:21 PM
Doyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
And who wouldnt even do that IMO.
I agree...

Old
07-31-2008, 04:25 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Gomez is not an asset huh? You could replace him for half the price huh? Good luck with finding your bargain 70+ pt player

Let me assure you the Scott Gomez era is just beginning on Broadway

07-31-2008, 04:26 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Gomez is not an asset huh? You could replace him for half the price huh? Good luck with finding your bargain 70+ pt player

Let me assure you the Scott Gomez era is just beginning on Broadway
But the funny bit is Sundin will be way more than Gomer in the OP's scenario.

Old
07-31-2008, 04:28 PM
DontStepanMe

You know what, if we could get a 1st and a top prospect from Vancouver i think it would be a great move. I know I'll get blasted for this but hear me out.

Sundin is better than Gomez right now. Probably will still be next year. Plus he would be a great mentor for Dubinsky as I think Dubinksy's style will mirror his. so this would be an upgrade this year and next year.

Second: We lose a big contract in a year or two so we could go after Kovy if he is free, or make a trade for a big time player. Plus have ample room to resign our own youngins.

third: by the time Sundin is gone (i'll say two years) Dubi will have 3 years experience, drury will still be under contract for 2 more years, and Anisimov should definately be ready to take over at least 3c duties. so we have replacements. Plus after them we also have dupont, pyatt, fritsche, grachev, stepan, hagelin, champing at the bit to center a NHL line. Plenty of depth.

four: I don't know what prospect we could get but it would have to be a good prospect in order to make this deal so there's another good player coming to us.

five: even if Vancouver gets Gomez i don't really think that they are going to be that great next year so we could possibly end up w/ a top 10 draft pick in a stacked draft. top 15 at worst. Combine that w/ ours and we could possible trade into top 5 territory, to get yet another blue chipper.

i really don't see much of a downside to doing this if we could get a high prospect and a 09 1st for gomez.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:30 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Mats cant even make up his mind if he still cares enough to still play hockey.

Gomez best seasons are still to come and he knows it, feels it and exudes it.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:30 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I'm on vacation starting in a half hour, and i wont be back for 6 days.

Not only am I thrilled that i'll be out of work, i'll be equally as happy not seeing threads like these for the same amount of time.

See ya next week!

Old
07-31-2008, 04:31 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
You know what, if we could get a 1st and a top prospect from Vancouver i think it would be a great move.
Please stop.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:35 PM
AK2794

If this was Drury and not Gomez then I would be all for it. But I think Gomez for the next 6 yrs is better than Sundin for 2.

AK2794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:36 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I'm on vacation starting in a half hour, and i wont be back for 6 days.

Not only am I thrilled that i'll be out of work, i'll be equally as happy not seeing threads like these for the same amount of time.

See ya next week!
Lucky !

Have fun, say hi to the honeys wherever you vacation

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2794 View Post
If this was Drury and not Gomez then I would be all for it. But I think Gomez for the next 6 yrs is better than Sundin for 2.
Agreed.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
You know what, if we could get a 1st and a top prospect from Vancouver i think it would be a great move. I know I'll get blasted for this but hear me out.

Sundin is better than Gomez right now. Probably will still be next year. Plus he would be a great mentor for Dubinsky as I think Dubinksy's style will mirror his. so this would be an upgrade this year and next year.

Second: We lose a big contract in a year or two so we could go after Kovy if he is free, or make a trade for a big time player. Plus have ample room to resign our own youngins.

third: by the time Sundin is gone (i'll say two years) Dubi will have 3 years experience, drury will still be under contract for 2 more years, and Anisimov should definately be ready to take over at least 3c duties. so we have replacements. Plus after them we also have dupont, pyatt, fritsche, grachev, stepan, hagelin, champing at the bit to center a NHL line. Plenty of depth.

four: I don't know what prospect we could get but it would have to be a good prospect in order to make this deal so there's another good player coming to us.

five: even if Vancouver gets Gomez i don't really think that they are going to be that great next year so we could possibly end up w/ a top 10 draft pick in a stacked draft. top 15 at worst. Combine that w/ ours and we could possible trade into top 5 territory, to get yet another blue chipper.

i really don't see much of a downside to doing this if we could get a high prospect and a 09 1st for gomez.
There can't be a trade unless Vancouver signs him, and we send back Gomez and another almost $3MM in salary.

Old
07-31-2008, 04:42 PM
chosen

Quote:
Here he was relaced by a gent who couldn't make the playoffs for many years and has since never gone past the second round. I'll go with the guy who delivers the Cup 10 out of 10 times.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:45 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
There can't be a trade unless Vancouver signs him, and we send back Gomez and another almost $3MM in salary.
I don't get why not... the Rumor is Sundin going to us and gomez going to Van.

Maybe we can just sign Sundin for a price not sure what it will take to get him in NY (and remember we can go over cap), and than trade Gomez. After all Sundin is a FA.

It doesn't have to be Vancouver signing Sundin and than trading him to us. We could get a contract in place first but not official and work out a trade w/ Vancouver this way Vancouver wins by getting a center (Gomez) and we really win getting Sundin, a high prospect and a first rounder.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:46 PM
MSG the place to be*

Sundin for 2 years then a LEGIT SUPERSTAR for 4 years (and beyond)

or

Gomez for 6 years

You people really need to check your heads who want to live and die with Gomez

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:48 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

We need some more top-six talent on the wings.. so we trade Gomez to sign a 37 old center who might decide he wants to retire.

...no thanks. Let's find a scoring winger for Gomez that can play with him for the next 5 years, how bout that? With a true sniper and a high-speed, offensive minded system Gomez could be a 20G/70A player.

Unless the return for a package involving Gomez was a franchise player, you'd be an idiot to move him.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote