HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I've Been Wanting to Say This...

Old
07-31-2008, 03:55 PM
Melrose_Jr.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Not only am I thrilled that i'll be out of work, i'll be equally as happy not seeing threads like these for the same amount of time.
Is it too late to ask if I can go?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 03:57 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Sundin for 2 years then a LEGIT SUPERSTAR for 4 years (and beyond)

or

Gomez for 6 years

You people really need to check your heads who want to live and die with Gomez
You still haven't addressed the cap impact of this deal. If Sundin signs with the Canucks it'll be for $10MM. Even if we move Gomez, how are you going to fit the extra $3MM under our cap?

This thread is retarded in so many ways yet I can't stop posting in it. AHHHHHH!

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 03:58 PM
bogans

Quote:

or

Gomez for 6 years

You gonna guarantee that we can get ourselves a LEGIT SUPERSTAR as you say after Sundin's contract is up?? Its not everyday guys like that hit the open market. I was in disbelief that Hossa hit the free agent market, it does not happen every year. Usually you have to trade for a guy like that at the deadline before he becomes a free agent (and give up some young assets) and hope that he would be willing to resign with you, which often does not happen (Hossa).

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:00 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:

or

Gomez for 6 years

What LEGIT SUPERSTAR? Who's available? How are you 100% sure they will land him?

How much are you paying him and how many years?

If hes "legit", its probably a more lucrative and lengthy deal than Gomez and Drury's.

So why don't you check YOUR head?

Advice: lock this thread.

Im out!

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:01 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Is it too late to ask if I can go?

I'll have a cocktail for ya!

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:16 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
We should be able to vote to lock a thread, once a thread receives "x" number of lock votes its gone....
crap like this drives me nuts, I know the OP was just sharing his thoughts and I respect that, but once people are offering trade scenarios and debating Gomez's worth I just cant take it....

1 VOTE TO LOCK!!!!!!!

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:34 PM
albynomonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
You still haven't addressed the cap impact of this deal. If Sundin signs with the Canucks it'll be for $10MM. Even if we move Gomez, how are you going to fit the extra $3MM under our cap?

This thread is retarded in so many ways yet I can't stop posting in it. AHHHHHH!
Why exactly does Sundin have to sign with VAN and then be traded to NY? He's a UFA, not an RFA whose rights were traded to VAN...

albynomonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:35 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

I posted this in the other thread too, but...

Any proposal coming from Vancouver inquiring about Gomez must start with Edler, Hodgson, and 2009's 1st for the Rangers to even listen......and then laugh at Vancouver. Neither team would do it.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:40 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

this has to be the DUMBEST thread i've ever seen on here, im sorry but as of right now with the setup of our team, i'd much rather have Gomez before Sundin.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:57 PM
otto1219

we will not win the cup with sundin on the team within the next year, gomez on the team for the next six years is entirely different story.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 05:01 PM
Doyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Here he was relaced by a gent who couldn't make the playoffs for many years and has since never gone past the second round. I'll go with the guy who delivers the Cup 10 out of 10 times.
I really would rather agree to disagree, but you have to admit he left the team to Slats in shambles.

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 05:05 PM
eco's bones

Sundin would make us a better team for the short run. Gomez is going to be with us longer and it that respect he's more important to the future of the team but Sundin is still a better player than he is--in fact he's a better forward than anyone currently on the team. If we could move Drury and bring in Sundin short term I would prefer it--it would give us a better player now and some cap space in the future to make other moves.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 05:27 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

I'm not sure I see why this would be so awful...you lose 6 years of $7.3 million per off the cap, add a center who, in the short term, would be more productive offensively, and possibly get at least a #1 pick in next year's draft from a team that didn't make the playoffs last year, not to mention other possible assets.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 06:27 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I'm not sure I see why this would be so awful...you lose 6 years of $7.3 million per off the cap, add a center who, in the short term, would be more productive offensively, and possibly get at least a #1 pick in next year's draft from a team that didn't make the playoffs last year, not to mention other possible assets.
you also lose one of the best pure playmakers in the league, and the best skater on our team (except for maybe Zhedev), the one guy who really gives this team some speed, and who can carry the puck through the NZ trap and into the offensive zone on a consistent basis. No one else on this team can do that, again except for Zherdev.

Drury I'd be ok with moving, he's more easily replaceable, IMO. And don't give me the "intangibles" thing (not directed at you, Jas), there are plenty of other guys in the league who can replace those things. There's not many that can replace Gomez.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 06:46 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
I really would rather agree to disagree, but you have to admit he left the team to Slats in shambles.
Smith left them in shambles and Sather kept them there.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 06:50 PM
otto1219

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
you also lose one of the best pure playmakers in the league, and the best skater on our team (except for maybe Zhedev), the one guy who really gives this team some speed, and who can carry the puck through the NZ trap and into the offensive zone on a consistent basis. No one else on this team can do that, again except for Zherdev.

Drury I'd be ok with moving, he's more easily replaceable, IMO. And don't give me the "intangibles" thing (not directed at you, Jas), there are plenty of other guys in the league who can replace those things. There's not many that can replace Gomez.
gomez isnt one of the best pure play makers in the league, he is a very good one but no where near the elite level. Both him and drury are staying on this team atleast until near the end of their contracts.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 06:51 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 54
If any forward on the Rangers can be considered an asset that man is Gomez.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 12:27 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
And ran every team after that into the ground in favor of veterans who would not work out in the long run.
As a non-NYR fan who had season tickets at MSG from 1993-96 (including Game Seven, June '04), I laugh anytime I read an NYR fan rip Neil Smith.

Guess 0 for 68 years would be preferrable to 1 in 68, eh?

Way I look at it, X amount of dubious years post-1994 is a small price to pay for 1994.

Gomez is a core player on this current NYR team. The idea that he is going anywhere is funny.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 06:10 AM
AlwaysARanger
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
We need some more top-six talent on the wings.. so we trade Gomez to sign a 37 old center who might decide he wants to retire.

...no thanks. Let's find a scoring winger for Gomez that can play with him for the next 5 years, how bout that? With a true sniper and a high-speed, offensive minded system Gomez could be a 20G/70A player.

Unless the return for a package involving Gomez was a franchise player, you'd be an idiot to move him.
We can trade for, like, Zherdev..

Why was this thread even started.

Cant we just wave Gomer, Trade Henke for Belfour (hes in Sweden, would be great for both players) and sign Sundin.

AlwaysARanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 07:45 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
What LEGIT SUPERSTAR? Who's available? How are you 100% sure they will land him?

How much are you paying him and how many years?

If hes "legit", its probably a more lucrative and lengthy deal than Gomez and Drury's.

So why don't you check YOUR head?

Advice: lock this thread.

Im out!
Bravo.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 07:53 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
And ran every team after that into the ground in favor of veterans who would not work out in the long run.
He was under orders from Dolan. In 99, Dolan put him on a plane and said, "Do not come back without Fleury, Kamensky, and Quintal."

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 08:01 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:

or

Gomez for 6 years

And what Legit Super star are you referring to?

And Sundin is marginally better than Gomez is right now and had this team had a normal scoring season from the likes of Jagr, Drury and Shanny, Gomez out produces Mats in a big way.

Mats for 2 years at 5-7 million per and MAJOR QUESTIONS FOR 4 YEARS AFTER

over

Gomez and consistent 70+ point seasons for the next 6 years

I'll take Gomez in a heartbeat

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 08:08 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
He was under orders from Dolan. In 99, Dolan put him on a plane and said, "Do not come back without Fleury, Kamensky, and Quintal."
People seem to forget that little tidbit of info. Neil Smith made moves to compliment the guys he had. They also forget the Conference Finals appearance in 97 and they forget the deals he made to to get 2 top ten picks in Brendl and Lundmark (that the both failed is irrelevent in that it was a bold move to bolster a poor system and both players were highly regarded at the time of their draft.

They also forget that Sather had no better success and continued to make the same kinds of deals that Smith made when he took over.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 08:18 AM
TheHotRock

i'd be all about moving gomez if jagr was still on this team. but he's not and gomez is the guy this team is being built around......offensively at least. you can't trade him.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 08:25 AM
chappie
lemon snow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Ya know what you should do? Cry about it some more. I'll enjoy the Cup he helped bring to NYC.

I love Gomez. I love that he makes 7+ million. And further more I love that it pisses off some of our fans so much
Neil Smith wasted the prime of Brian Leetch and Mike Richter, and despite that the two of them, or at least one for sure, will make the Hall of Fame. There is no excuse for him not being able to build around those two, as a super star defenseman and a top 4 goalie in the league are the backbones to a championship team. Instead, he threw away any and all of the young talent we had and put this organization so far back that there was no way that they were going to get anything close to another sniff at the Cup, let alone a shot at a real good season again. (minus 97, but that was a flash in the pan, sort of like an explosion of a star right before it dies)

I will forever love the 94 season, but at the same time, I will forever regret the after math that resulted because of Neil Smith.

chappie is offline   Reply With Quote