HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Is MacT next?

Old
07-31-2008, 10:59 PM
Ted Saskin

vCash: 500
Is MacT next?

Now that Lowe is in a newly created position. ( I think he did an awsome job this year, except for extending Garon)Is MacT next, How many games will he be given? Is it Tambellini call? Is Dan (PeeWee Herman)'s job also in jepordy? Will 1260 now get the Oilers?

Ted Saskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 09:03 AM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Saskin View Post
Now that Lowe is in a newly created position. ( I think he did an awsome job this year, except for extending Garon)Is MacT next, How many games will he be given? Is it Tambellini call? Is Dan (PeeWee Herman)'s job also in jepordy? Will 1260 now get the Oilers?
I don't think Mac T is going anywhere. When he is moved I think it will be to VP of Hockey Ops or some other title and I think that is a great move when it eventually happens if we can upgrade there. Mac T is a brilliant hockey mind and I think he would add a lot to the brain trust of this organization in the future. As a committee with Lowe, Mac T, Tambellini and Babcock (wishing, haha).

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 09:09 AM
OntOilFan

One can dream ...

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Schai

I believe Mact will be caned if Oilers miss the playoff again. He is a good head coach, but his assistants need to be replaced, especially the one is responsible for defensemen development or improvement.

Schai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 09:20 AM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I believe Mact will be caned if Oilers miss the playoff again. He is a good head coach, but his assistants need to be replaced, especially the one is responsible for defensemen development or improvement.
What is this, Singapore?

Old
08-01-2008, 09:25 AM
420ilerBuzz*

Send a message via Skype™ to 420ilerBuzz*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Are you serious? Look at the development of Gilbert, Greene, and Smid. I think Huddy has been great as an assistant coach. I will always remember how he treated Green in the SCF when Greene was almost in tears.

What about the development of the guys in Springfield? Their development seems to be on track.

Moore is also good coach. He's great at analyzing the play and breaking it down for players while on the bench.

The biggest problem MacT had was his stubbornness, and his loyalty to some players. He showed significant growth last season, and hopefully he continues to do so.

If the team struggles and doesn't make the playoffs, I don't see him getting fired, I see him resigning.

420ilerBuzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 09:27 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
What is this, Singapore?
There should be more caning at the NHL level. It would certainly beat most of the between periods entertainment I've seen.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Julio18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420ilerBuzz View Post
Are you serious? Look at the development of Gilbert, Greene, and Smid. I think Huddy has been great as an assistant coach. I will always remember how he treated Green in the SCF when Greene was almost in tears.

What about the development of the guys in Springfield? Their development seems to be on track.

Moore is also good coach. He's great at analyzing the play and breaking it down for players while on the bench.

The biggest problem MacT had was his stubbornness, and his loyalty to some players. He showed significant growth last season, and hopefully he continues to do so.

If the team struggles and doesn't make the playoffs, I don't see him getting fired, I see him resigning.
Don't forget the complete 180 that Grebeskov turned. I seriously thought we had downgraded from MAB.

Maz, do you follow the Oilers at all?

Julio18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 09:34 AM
420ilerBuzz*

Send a message via Skype™ to 420ilerBuzz*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio18 View Post
Don't forget the complete 180 that Grebeskov turned. I seriously thought we had downgraded from MAB.

Maz, do you follow the Oilers at all?
I totally forgot about Grebs - thanks.

420ilerBuzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Cogliano13Gagner89

I hope not. I really like MacT. I think he did an unbelieveable job last year. I want him to stay.

Cogliano13Gagner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 11:25 AM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
There should be more caning at the NHL level. It would certainly beat most of the between periods entertainment I've seen.
Not a bad idea. It could be used as an integrated punitive measure. For example, after Bertuzzi decked Moore, Bertuzzi is caned between periods the next time he's in Colorado ...

Old
08-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Stiffler's Mom

Caning must really hurt!

Quote:
Not a bad idea. It could be used as an integrated punitive measure. For example, after Bertuzzi decked Moore, Bertuzzi is caned between periods the next time he's in Colorado ...
Maybe some coaches should be caned instead of canned as in the dictionary definitions below.

Canning is firing someone as in #11 below in Dictionary.com

1. a sealed container for food, beverages, etc., as of aluminum, sheet iron coated with tin, or other metal: a can of soup.
2. a receptacle for garbage, ashes, etc.: a trash can.
3. a bucket, pail, or other container for holding or carrying liquids: water can.
4. a drinking cup; tankard.
5. a metal or plastic container for holding film on cores or reels.
6. Slang: Usually Vulgar. toilet; bathroom.
7. Slang. jail: He's been in the can for a week.
8. Slang: Sometimes Vulgar. buttocks.
9. Military Slang. a. a depth charge.
b. a destroyer.

–verb (used with object) 10. to preserve by sealing in a can, jar, etc.
11. Slang. to dismiss; fire.
12. Slang. to throw (something) away.
13. Slang. to put a stop to: Can that noise!
14. to record, as on film or tape.
—Idioms15. carry the can, British and Canadian Slang. to take the responsibility.
16. in the can, recorded on film; completed: The movie is in the can and ready for release.

Caning as in Singapore prisons is as described in Wikpedia means to flog with a cane.

The male to be caned is strapped in a bending-over position to a metal or wooden frame. The punishment is delivered to the bare buttocks, the number of strokes being specified in the court's sentence. The rattan cane is 1.2 metres (3.9 ft) long and up to 1.27 centimetres (0.5 in) thick,[1] considerably bigger and heavier than a school cane. The cane is soaked in water beforehand to prevent it from splitting and make it more flexible; the Prisons Department denies that the cane is soaked in brine, but notes that the cane is treated with antiseptic before use. Parts of the man's body are padded to prevent accidental damaging of the kidneys and the genitals. Permanent scarring of the buttocks can occur in the case of a large number of strokes.

Stiffler's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 12:40 PM
WHAfanatic

Quote:
One can dream ...
Yep, because that's EXACTLY what we need to going into the start of the season with everyone excited about the direction the team is headed - a coaching controversy!!!

It's amazing to me how many people would rather have MacT fired than the Oilers succeed with him at the helm. /sheesh

WHAfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 12:47 PM
AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler's Mom View Post
Maybe some coaches should be caned instead of canned as in the dictionary definitions below.

Canning is firing someone as in #11 below in Dictionary.com

1. a sealed container for food, beverages, etc., as of aluminum, sheet iron coated with tin, or other metal: a can of soup.
2. a receptacle for garbage, ashes, etc.: a trash can.
3. a bucket, pail, or other container for holding or carrying liquids: water can.
4. a drinking cup; tankard.
5. a metal or plastic container for holding film on cores or reels.
6. Slang: Usually Vulgar. toilet; bathroom.
7. Slang. jail: He's been in the can for a week.
8. Slang: Sometimes Vulgar. buttocks.
9. Military Slang. a. a depth charge.
b. a destroyer.

–verb (used with object) 10. to preserve by sealing in a can, jar, etc.
11. Slang. to dismiss; fire.
12. Slang. to throw (something) away.
13. Slang. to put a stop to: Can that noise!
14. to record, as on film or tape.
—Idioms15. carry the can, British and Canadian Slang. to take the responsibility.
16. in the can, recorded on film; completed: The movie is in the can and ready for release.

Caning as in Singapore prisons is as described in Wikpedia means to flog with a cane.

The male to be caned is strapped in a bending-over position to a metal or wooden frame. The punishment is delivered to the bare buttocks, the number of strokes being specified in the court's sentence. The rattan cane is 1.2 metres (3.9 ft) long and up to 1.27 centimetres (0.5 in) thick,[1] considerably bigger and heavier than a school cane. The cane is soaked in water beforehand to prevent it from splitting and make it more flexible; the Prisons Department denies that the cane is soaked in brine, but notes that the cane is treated with antiseptic before use. Parts of the man's body are padded to prevent accidental damaging of the kidneys and the genitals. Permanent scarring of the buttocks can occur in the case of a large number of strokes.
How to squelch any sorta humour in a bon mot in ~300 quick words.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 02:09 AM
Rin

Quote:

Why would Tencer's job be on the line? I honestly don't understand why everyone complains about him so much. You don't like him, don't listen to 630 ched. We only get ched up here, we don't get the team...and I couldn't care less. For a new/young guy I think Dan does a good job. He is always here giving us links to interviews, some inside scoops, as well as a heads up when something big is going to be on the radio. His blog is also a great read, it was the only reason I used to go to hockeybuzz.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Ted Saskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
Why would Tencer's job be on the line? I honestly don't understand why everyone complains about him so much. You don't like him, don't listen to 630 ched. We only get ched up here, we don't get the team...and I couldn't care less. For a new/young guy I think Dan does a good job. He is always here giving us links to interviews, some inside scoops, as well as a heads up when something big is going to be on the radio. His blog is also a great read, it was the only reason I used to go to hockeybuzz.
I guess you'll never get it. and if you rely on hockbuzz for news read this :

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=541100

Old
08-02-2008, 07:26 PM
surshot*

Next for what a promotion? Since no one was fired i do not understand the point. Simply put this team has to make the playoffs this comming season or else lot of people's heads are going to spin not just Mact. Mact is a good coach given a good team i believe he has that this year and should be able to do some damage come playoffs. I understand peoples frustrations with him because i have had the same feelings but i never let that make me think he is a bad coach and should be removed from his position. Mact is here to stay.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 07:32 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

If MacTavish is ever gone, it'll be of his own volition. I think he'll resign if the team doesn't make the playoffs this year and that's the way it should be.

I'd like a replacement for Moores, though. Someone who can actually run a creative powerplay would be nice.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Ted Saskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
If MacTavish is ever gone, it'll be of his own volition. I think he'll resign if the team doesn't make the playoffs this year and that's the way it should be.

I'd like a replacement for Moores, though. Someone who can actually run a creative powerplay would be nice.

He won't resign. He will be promoted to VP. of Rexal Sports under Lowe

Old
08-02-2008, 10:03 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
He won't resign. He will be promoted to VP. of Rexal Sports under Lowe
Wouldn't be shocked.

Also wouldn't be shocked if he still wanted to coach (by all accounts, he enjoys it. And he is good enough to land another job post haste).

Old
08-03-2008, 02:01 AM
Rin

Quote:
I guess you'll never get it. and if you rely on hockbuzz for news read this :

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=541100

Did you even read what I said? I said his blog was the only reason I used to go to hockeybuzz. I never went to hockey buzz for my news, I went for his blog. I'm also not the only one that used to do that. IIRC, when he stopped blogging there, alot of others also claimed that his blog there was the only reason they used to stop off on that site. He used to go to all the practices and give us new line combo's if there were any, and also let us know if anyone was out of the lineup.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 02:49 AM
Soundwave

If the Oilers don't make the playoffs this year he'll be out I think.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 04:00 AM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
If you think you've got it rough, go to a Lions game.

Between the two rare flashes of comedy that is the mascot soccer, the halftime shows here are downright embarrassing for both the fans and the performers.

I bought tickets to a game last year and a bunch of internationals came along. The halftime theme was some kind of Salute to Amateur Sports or something. It was comical to say the least, especially with the guys from Spain trying to figure out exactly what the hell was going on. I think the organizers took the whole thing from a Simpsons episode, except they didn't realize it was meant to be satire.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 04:02 AM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Now that Lowe is in a newly created position. ( I think he did an awsome job this year, except for extending Garon)
I'm not sure if we're allowed to negotiate an extension until January 1st.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 04:27 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
I'm not sure if we're allowed to negotiate an extension until January 1st.
Shawn Horcoff signed an extension.

I think that we have until a certain date this fall to extend a contract or else we have to wait till January 1st. I think we're still in the window where we can extend Garon.