HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Radek Dvorak question

Old
08-01-2008, 01:23 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
I've always felt that Radek was the most complete of the bunch - fast, good hands, vision, defensive awareness, board work. Ideal 2nd liner at that time.
anyone think Sjostrom can be what Dvorak was? I think so. Sjostrom reminds me a little of dvorak but more physical.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 12:57 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubinskyNYR17 View Post
anyone think Sjostrom can be what Dvorak was? I think so. Sjostrom reminds me a little of dvorak but more physical.
They are very similar players, I just think Devo is the better in the offensive part of the game. He was very dangerous sometimes. Sjostrom has the same speed but he doesn't really use it like Radek did. I do hope Freddy proves me wrong this season..........he puts up 20-25 goals i'm happy.

He and Bonk did inspire my handle. I just think it's a cool ass name.......sounds kinda cyborg.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 06:21 AM
Fletch

Dvorak...

was dangerous because of his speed. He had troulbe finishing, except for a couple stretches in his career. He wasn't the greatest puck-handler in traffic near the net and he didn't have a good shot at all. He was actually one of my favorite players when he scored 31 goals, but to be honest, I still couldn't believe he scored that many. He definitely tried hard and was very affected by his knee injury.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 06:26 AM
Nemchinov13

Freddie just doesn't seem to have the offensive awareness of Radek. But Radek has started to come into his own after playing with Nedved immediately after the trade. One positive quality of Nedved is that he made his teammates better - I remember JD talking about it. I don't think Sjo has ever had a chance to play with a center that would elevate his game.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 07:01 AM
Fletch

Nemchinov - I disagree that Nedved made his linemates better. There were occasions in which he was on a line that clicked and was good - I can't attribute that to Nedved making them better. He's had way too many linemates with whom he didn't click and who he didn't make better that leads me to believe that a line like the Czechmates, which was short-lived (because, perhaps, Nedved didn't make anyone better and it just clicked), was a line that just clicked at the right time and had the right chemistry for a short period of time.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 09:47 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
That was a very good line. Good nickname too, bakery line........two cream puffs with a cupcake in the middle.
I know you making a joke, but in reality while that line didn't initiate contact, they took a pounding by opposing teams and NO ONE saw fit to defend them.

The Rangers showed a pisspoor way to defend your best players.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 12:08 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I know you making a joke, but in reality while that line didn't initiate contact, they took a pounding by opposing teams and NO ONE saw fit to defend them.

i remember when Doig nailed Lindros and Lindros was hurt but had to defend himself since no one did anything, i think Barnaby and McCarthy were on the ice at the time.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

Have to agree with you there, except for Simon there wasn't many guy back then who really stuck up for thier guys, well Purinton did also but he was just to psycho about it with his crazy thumbs.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 04:35 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim399 View Post
The Czech mates were a very entertaining line to watch. I remeber them actually breaking the line up the last month of the season and Dvorak was still on fire! Lines were...

Malhotra-Messier-Dvorak
Hlavac-Nedved-Grosek

I remeber that next offseason hoping to see that Mess line sticking together and bringing up Brendl to ride shotgun on the new Czech mate line!

Of course the whole thing went down the drain and Hlavac and Brendl went in the Lindros deal and Sather tried to recreate the line with Zdeno Ciger- which was a disaster to say the least. Dvorak's season was average and was hurt by injuries. The next season Trottier came in and just destroyed any confidence the kid had left... I remeber after one game Trottier publicly lashing him to the press "saying dvorak was scared on the ice" Trottier was fired and Dvorak soon followed him out of town.

Sather gave many attempts at trying to rekindle the magic that line had... but it never came close.

Ciger-Nedved-Dvorak
Barnaby-Nedved-Dvorak
Rucinksy-Nedved-Dvorak
Rucinksy-Nedved-Carter
Hlavac-Nedved-Carter
Hlavac-Nedved-Kovelev

I always hopped the three of them would reunite some where but it never happend. It would be fun seeing the three of them playing together in camp and giving it one last go! But all three are wayyyyy toooo olddd and slowwwww. fun summer thoughts though.
This post brings back too many old memories... Bad ones too!

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Nemchinov - I disagree that Nedved made his linemates better. There were occasions in which he was on a line that clicked and was good - I can't attribute that to Nedved making them better. He's had way too many linemates with whom he didn't click and who he didn't make better that leads me to believe that a line like the Czechmates, which was short-lived (because, perhaps, Nedved didn't make anyone better and it just clicked), was a line that just clicked at the right time and had the right chemistry for a short period of time.
Well, Fletch, I'm not going to argue with you. I don't have a lot of evidence to do so. But I've thought that he's done well in his first year as a Ranger with rotating linemates, and then he was doing well in the 2nd year and real well towards the end of that year when Dvorak joined him and Hlavac.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Girardi05

Send a message via AIM to Girardi05 Send a message via Yahoo to Girardi05
Dvo tore his knee up really bad, That type of injury takes a normal person 2 years to fully recover, in sports it takes a year, He was never the same player. I know cause I tore my ACL and PCL and it took me over a year to walk without pain, and i am in decent shape so imagine a pro athletle. Anyway that injury pushed his career back 2 years and that's why he's not the player he could have been.

Girardi05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 01:31 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girardi05 View Post
Dvo tore his knee up really bad, That type of injury takes a normal person 2 years to fully recover, in sports it takes a year, He was never the same player. I know cause I tore my ACL and PCL and it took me over a year to walk without pain, and i am in decent shape so imagine a pro athletle. Anyway that injury pushed his career back 2 years and that's why he's not the player he could have been.
I agree that the knee injury had an averse affect on his career.

But what never made sense was once he returned from the injury, his hands were gone.