HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nedved will attend NYR training camp

Old
08-01-2008, 12:26 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Listen, I'm not advocating anything Petr Nedved. I'm just trying to rationalize why he would be allowed to come to camp instead of *****ing about it as if he's going to be some detriment to the other 50 players that are there. I don't know any more than you do and you don't have to agree with me. Let's hear YOUR theory if you don't.
fair enough.

my theory is this. there is no 3rd line centerman penciled in for this team as of right now. all the proven guys that could play there like dru or dubi, are better as top 6 guys rather than 3rd line checkers. the unproven guys like arty or even fritche are just that, unproven. thus, they go into camp with uncertainty. thats all reasonable.

the part i have a problem with is nedved. he offers nothing to this teams needs and in fact, what he does perhaps still have, is not suited for a 3rd line centerman on this team. therefore, his being in camp and saying " he can certainly play on our 3rd line" is in fact rediculous. as to being a detriment, perhaps not the right word, perhaps an unneccessary invitation is a better description. we have plenty of guys who can tutor and mentor our young guys already on the team. no need for nedved to help there either.

as to why hes allowed to come to camp at all, i can only speculate that its a sign of desperation on our part - that we would even consider this clown as a viable alternative and if true, i think that sends the wrong signal to our kids- who would gladly take whatever ice time nedved gets and perhaps make a play, catch an eye, do something that earns them a closer look see.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 12:34 PM
MikeyLikesHockey

Well Then...

Well then if those "kids" want a better look they better play their ass off so a 39 year old has been doesn't show them up.

You will be suprised what effect desire has upon the human psyche.

IF these kids see a roster spot open they will slack off, they need some drive.

And if it takes having a worn out center to come to camp to show them that then that needs to happen.

So my question is, what happens if he does come to camp and does indeed show that he can still play and has a better skillset than any of those kids....what then?

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 12:42 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyGSpot View Post
So my question is, what happens if he does come to camp and does indeed show that he can still play and has a better skillset than any of those kids....what then?
$500k with goals/points related bonuses up to $1MM. The instant it looks like he can't produce, he's waived to Hartford and Korp or whomever is called up.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 12:52 PM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
and saying " he can certainly play on our 3rd line" is in fact rediculous.
While I agree he never gets out of camp, why slag off on someone you just ok'd to come to your camp?

The NYR brass is more polished then that.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 01:02 PM
MikeyLikesHockey

This news, just points more toward Drury moving to the wing.

If that does happen, Then down the middle we have options.

Old
08-01-2008, 01:18 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
This news, just points more toward Drury moving to the wing.

If that does happen, Then down the middle we have options.
....don't we already have a PLETHORA of options down the middle? and i sincerely doubt nedved is ready for a top 6 role, which means we'd just be adding more redundant bottom 6 parts

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 01:24 PM
squishy

Quote:
Well then if those "kids" want a better look they better play their ass off so a 39 year old has been doesn't show them up.

You will be suprised what effect desire has upon the human psyche.

IF these kids see a roster spot open they will slack off, they need some drive.
I call BS on this entire premise. First off all, there are no roster spots open. Second, there are already more than enough "NHL" players to fill every roster spot on the team who will provide "competition". Third, they already know they're competing with one another for any scraps that might be available. And finally, you completely underestimate the drive of would-be professional athletes if you think any prospect who's yet to make it in the NHL is going to slack off at an NHL training camp or needs an extra 37 year old vet to provide them with "drive". If any one of them needs Petr Nedved to inspire them to work their hardest in training camp, they're never going to make the NHL anyway.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Ovens

Courtesy of www.hockeydb.com here are Petr's stats for his last few NHL/AHL seasons,hardly spectacular, I'm sure even Freddie could produce better stats than this

2005-06 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 28 5 9 14

2005-06 Phoenix Coyotes NHL 25 2 9 11

2006-07 Edmonton Oilers NHL 19 1 4 5

2006-07 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 21 1 6 7

2006-07 Philadelphia Phantoms AHL 14 4 7 11

Ovens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 02:52 PM
MikeyLikesHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
I call BS on this entire premise. First off all, there are no roster spots open. Second, there are already more than enough "NHL" players to fill every roster spot on the team who will provide "competition". Third, they already know they're competing with one another for any scraps that might be available. And finally, you completely underestimate the drive of would-be professional athletes if you think any prospect who's yet to make it in the NHL is going to slack off at an NHL training camp or needs an extra 37 year old vet to provide them with "drive". If any one of them needs Petr Nedved to inspire them to work their hardest in training camp, they're never going to make the NHL anyway.
Its training camp so all the roster spots are open.

And I do believe a lot of our prospects have slacked off, otherwise they would already have a roster spot.

And anyone will tell you having competition for a spot in any organization breeds better players.

Good thing you weren't around when Craig MacTavish made the team or we wouldn't ahve won a cup.

Old
08-01-2008, 04:46 PM
squishy

Quote:
That's a nice cliche, but you can't possibly be so naive as to believe it.

Quote:
And I do believe a lot of our prospects have slacked off, otherwise they would already have a roster spot.
I never said there haven't been prospects who've slacked off over the course of a season in the AHL. But if you seriously believe prospects have come into camp since the lockout and not given their all because they were expecting a spot to be handed to them, you haven't been watching them.

Quote:
And anyone will tell you having competition for a spot in any organization breeds better players.
I never denied competition for a spot breeds better players. But if we need to bring in Petr Nedved to be that competition -- which is your argument -- this organization is in massive trouble.

Quote:
Good thing you weren't around when Craig MacTavish made the team or we wouldn't ahve won a cup.
You know what they say about people who assume things, right? I've been watching this team since the early 80s. Longer, probably, than about 85% of the people who post here.

Moreover, MacTavish wasn't even with the Rangers for training camp the year they won the Cup, he came in at the trade deadline. And he was an active NHL player at the time he was brought in, not a someone who'd been run out of the league 2 years prior. So what he has to do with this conversation is beyond me.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 04:48 PM
MBHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It's a non-factor.

I guess I'm immediately responding to the people who's gut reaction was to complain about this.

Nedved, while far from being what we would have liked, was a good player and good guy here.

No need to kick dirt on him.
Couldn't agree more. Good guy. If he's still got it, i'd be delighted to have him back.

MBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 05:17 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHockey View Post
Couldn't agree more. Good guy. If he's still got it, i'd be delighted to have him back.
Precisely, if he plays well enough to earn a spot, what should we do tell him nah, were looking for less talent and a less familiar name? Its idiotic...

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 05:35 PM
eco's bones

Quote:

It's called player development. That's what the minor leagues are for--to grow into one's body--to be taught how to play within the system of the team you play for.

As for MacTavish--he was a deadline deal towards the end of the 93-94 season. The Rangers won the cup and then he signed with the Flyers the next season. He never even went to a Rangers training camp.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Ovens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Precisely, if he plays well enough to earn a spot, what should we do tell him nah, were looking for less talent and a less familiar name? Its idiotic...
So let's just say for #hits and giggles that it's some one like Dubi that has an awful camp, and Nedved shines are you really going to welcome Dubi being sent to Hartford or traded if Nedved shines, or does it only count if he's better than certain players that a lot of people round here think are dispensable?

(Wonder what Gerry Marsden would make of hockey?)

Ovens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 06:52 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
I almost hope he makes the team so the Garden crowd boos him instead of Redden. We have Wade for 6 years, it could be like a deflection of boos to Petr.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 07:11 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovens View Post
So let's just say for #hits and giggles that it's some one like Dubi that has an awful camp, and Nedved shines are you really going to welcome Dubi being sent to Hartford or traded if Nedved shines, or does it only count if he's better than certain players that a lot of people round here think are dispensable?

(Wonder what Gerry Marsden would make of hockey?)
Well I dont think its as cut and dry as that. Someone like dubinsky can't play himself out of a spot at camp, he showed too much during the season last yr. I think there are guys that are locks for the team for sure, then there are some question marks and holes. For arguments sake lets say

1st line = gomez with prucha and naslund
2nd line = drury with dawes and zherdev
3rd line = dubinsky with fritsche and Korpikoski/Callahan
4th line = Betts with voros and sjostrom

I just dont think we can call ALL the guys in bold locks for our NHL roster if in fact Nedved shows up healthy, in great shape and plays near a level from his past. He does play the wing as well, and other than Zherdev and Naslund our wingers are guys we only hope can pot 20+ goals...nedved did it 5 yrs straight for us...in this decade

Old
08-02-2008, 09:21 PM
blue425

I'm a bit late to the party, but no thanks. This is a road we have been down before...more than once.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 09:27 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
I'm a bit late to the party, but no thanks. This is a road we have been down before...more than once.
No doubt, I don't think anyone is saying they particular want this, but people are reacting to a camp invitation like Slats just gave him a 5 yrs 25 mill, lol..
I just dont see how this hurts any of the involved parties

Old
08-03-2008, 07:28 AM
Fletch

I honestly wouldn't invite him to camp. I see it as a distraction if he takes one shift at center. I don't see him being effective on a team unless he's a second liner with PP time, and this team has better options at second line and the PP at this moment. Also, there are third line options outside Dubi if Dubi becomes a second liner. We have an abundance of 3rd and fourth line players, including centermen, who are young and bring something else to the table than Nedved.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 04:30 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

would it really be that bad if he shined in training camp and was signed for like 600 k...
imagine if he got 60 pnts...thats a bargain.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 07:49 AM
jfc64

Blair Betts should watch his back, carefully.

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I honestly wouldn't invite him to camp. I see it as a distraction if he takes one shift at center. I don't see him being effective on a team unless he's a second liner with PP time, and this team has better options at second line and the PP at this moment. Also, there are third line options outside Dubi if Dubi becomes a second liner. We have an abundance of 3rd and fourth line players, including centermen, who are young and bring something else to the table than Nedved.
Fletch, if you don't smell trade somethin is wrong with your nose. I am dying to know what plan B is if/when Sundin ever makes up his mind.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote