HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Petr Nedved to get a tryout with Rangers

Old
08-01-2008, 04:04 PM
stish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery4Byng View Post
Any truth to the rumour Glenn Anderson and Brian Noonan are attending camp as well?
It's an insult to Hall of Famer Anderson to be mentioned in the same breath as Nedved.

stish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

"I've never heard of most of these guys, and the ones I have are well past their prime"

"most of these guys never had a prime"

"This guy here is dead!"

"then cross him off the list"

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Avery4Byng*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stish View Post
It's an insult to Hall of Famer Anderson to be mentioned in the same breath as Nedved.
No it would be an insult if someone were to call him a deadbeat dad.

Avery4Byng* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 05:11 PM
detredWINgs

Smart deal for the Rags. If he pans out, you may have found yourself a gem. Dan Cleary three years removed came in on a tryout with the Wings. Three years later he has back-to-back 20 goal seasons under his belt in versatile grinding 3rd line/2nd line scoring fashion with pretty drastic improvements in his production rate every year thus far with the Wings. Granted, Nedved is older, but you'd be surprised how much players change when they're desperate.

The fact that Nedved is going in as a tryout shows he at least willing to take his lumps to get back into the NHL. And if he doesn't pan out, no loss.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 06:11 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

The Rangers preseason is very busy. 6 games in 7 nights stateside before the trip to Europe where they play 2 exhibition games and before opening in Prauge

They seriously need a split squad = Nedved

08-01-2008, 10:54 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Smart deal for the Rags. If he pans out, you may have found yourself a gem. Dan Cleary three years removed came in on a tryout with the Wings. Three years later he has back-to-back 20 goal seasons under his belt in versatile grinding 3rd line/2nd line scoring fashion with pretty drastic improvements in his production rate every year thus far with the Wings. Granted, Nedved is older, but you'd be surprised how much players change when they're desperate.

The fact that Nedved is going in as a tryout shows he at least willing to take his lumps to get back into the NHL. And if he doesn't pan out, no loss.
big difference, Cleary was on the way up while nedved was on the decline and cleary is also younger.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 11:08 PM
ELab2

Let the hooking begin.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 01:48 PM
fIREnIcE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
Let the hooking begin.
gold heheh...im in favor of the move to and im devils fan but thats effin funning.....water sking old nhl style, Daneyko was the best at this!

fIREnIcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 02:35 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fIREnIcE View Post
gold heheh...im in favor of the move to and im devils fan but thats effin funning.....water sking old nhl style, Daneyko was the best at this!
in Philly we took to calling it "2 minutes for Nedveding"

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Avery4Byng*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Greene Go View Post
Ohhh Snap.
says a user with a fedor fedorov pic....

Avery4Byng* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
yea no chance he regains his glory days

and for the record THIS is what the Russian league has.....older NHL guys who cant make it anymore
Like Radulov right...? OH, thats right I remember now, he was supposed to be a promising future NHL star. Jaromir Jagr can't make it in the NHL today? I thought he still had over 70 points during a bad year and was easily the most dominant player in the NHL playoffs until he was eliminated. But if you say the Russian league only has players who can't make it anymore than I have to believe it.

If Nedved has a good camp and genuinely out performs a younger player he should genuinely get the spot. This is a ridiculous argument. The fact that he is older or his name is "Nedved" shouldn't even play a role. If he can play better than a young kid than he gets the spot. If he can't than let him walk away.

"Just Wide Nedved" did score more than any other ranger over the same period of time... Don't you guys know that? I think its funny to give a guy who was never anything more than a "good" center in his career a bunch of flack when he led the franchise in goals over the same period of time and he was the number one target typically for opposing teams to shut down sadly. It's not his fault he played on a bad team.

Nedved, career as a NYR, 478GP, 149G + 202A, 351PTS.... AVG of 25G and 35A a season and 60PTS.

Yet, we signed a center, Scott Gomez, who averages 67PTS per season in his career and has only broke 20 goals ONCE, yet a lot of us rave about this guy as our future... I don't get it. Can someone please explain this one to me? Or Chris Drury who everyone was so excited to sign who has averaged 25G 35A and 60PTS per season... And Nedved wasn't on a playoff team or making $7.1 million a year. I don't know, it just doesn't add up to me the flack that he got.

People need to find better things to complain about like how... None of our promising, hyped up draft picks ever turned out to be anything; Maholtra, Brendl, Lundmark, Montoya, etc; the list goes on and on. People should complain about the scouting our organization did for so many years. Or the decisions that Sather made managing the team, a different coach every other year, etc; But somehow "Just Wide Nedved" gets the flack? I don't get it and I never will.

It's not his fault he had a few great years in Pittsburgh is it? Ranger fans always had the unrealistic expectation of that Nedved on our horrible team that couldn't make a right decision for seven years or make the playoffs.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Eazy T

Miramax Studios should make a movie called "The Tryout" starring Jason Thompson (Wishmaster 4) as Petr Nedved. The movie takes the viewers through a journey of Nedved's career to his last kick at the can at a tryout for the Rangers; barely making the team and winding up to be the stanley cup goal scorer. Directed by Uwe Boll.

Eazy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 12:28 AM
+73*

great post.

i'm dating myself here w/ this one -- i attribute some of the Nedved-bashing to his being the #1 pick overall his draft (or #2? can't remember which order but it was Nedved and Nolan) but he seemed to have some detractors early on in his career...

he was fine as Ranger.
not a HOF career but he's not exactly Daigle either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Like Radulov right...? OH, thats right I remember now, he was supposed to be a promising future NHL star. Jaromir Jagr can't make it in the NHL today? I thought he still had over 70 points during a bad year and was easily the most dominant player in the NHL playoffs until he was eliminated. But if you say the Russian league only has players who can't make it anymore than I have to believe it.

If Nedved has a good camp and genuinely out performs a younger player he should genuinely get the spot. This is a ridiculous argument. The fact that he is older or his name is "Nedved" shouldn't even play a role. If he can play better than a young kid than he gets the spot. If he can't than let him walk away.

"Just Wide Nedved" did score more than any other ranger over the same period of time... Don't you guys know that? I think its funny to give a guy who was never anything more than a "good" center in his career a bunch of flack when he led the franchise in goals over the same period of time and he was the number one target typically for opposing teams to shut down sadly. It's not his fault he played on a bad team.

Nedved, career as a NYR, 478GP, 149G + 202A, 351PTS.... AVG of 25G and 35A a season and 60PTS.

Yet, we signed a center, Scott Gomez, who averages 67PTS per season in his career and has only broke 20 goals ONCE, yet a lot of us rave about this guy as our future... I don't get it. Can someone please explain this one to me? Or Chris Drury who everyone was so excited to sign who has averaged 25G 35A and 60PTS per season... And Nedved wasn't on a playoff team or making $7.1 million a year. I don't know, it just doesn't add up to me the flack that he got.

People need to find better things to complain about like how... None of our promising, hyped up draft picks ever turned out to be anything; Maholtra, Brendl, Lundmark, Montoya, etc; the list goes on and on. People should complain about the scouting our organization did for so many years. Or the decisions that Sather made managing the team, a different coach every other year, etc; But somehow "Just Wide Nedved" gets the flack? I don't get it and I never will.

It's not his fault he had a few great years in Pittsburgh is it? Ranger fans always had the unrealistic expectation of that Nedved on our horrible team that couldn't make a right decision for seven years or make the playoffs.

+73* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 12:35 AM
fourofakindfowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post

Yeah great post man, you make some good points.

fourofakindfowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Well, I guess you never know, but this guy has been on the decline since the turn of the millennium. I wouldn't expect much.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Good for Nedved. Honestly, during his time in the league, I liked him as a player. He was elegant, had a terrific wrist shot, and good playmaking ability. He crashed hard after he left the Oilers in 04, and his last season was plain horrible, but I hope he can rebound.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote