HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Eric Lindros what happened?

Old
09-05-2007, 06:49 AM
NYRJurgen88

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertdsc44 View Post
For some reason, I am reminded of Steve Yzerman changing his game at the request of Scotty Bowman.

Why couldn't Lindros have done something similar?
could he have almost been to physical a player to change?

that might sound stupid but you wouldnt expect a Bertuzzi to suddenly play a finesse first game would you? i know Lindors had alot more skill but a think the body and presence was a major part of his play and his rise to a star player...to suddenly overnight ask him to change what he has been accustomed to all his career might be hard...

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Harry Vee

sorry to bump this old thread, but this definately isn't worthy of making a new thread. I found this article that Eric is dating kate hudson. what i found funny were the numerous posts from people about the article. these people are relentless. it was a good laugh

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...?urn=nhl,97702

Harry Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 10:08 AM
otto1219

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvnolimit View Post
sorry to bump this old thread, but this definately isn't worthy of making a new thread. I found this article that Eric is dating kate hudson. what i found funny were the numerous posts from people about the article. these people are relentless. it was a good laugh

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...?urn=nhl,97702
ha i was just about to post that....

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Mr Bojanglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
It wasn't him being scared.

BRIAN F'ING TROTTIER PUT HIM ON BOBBY HOLIK'S WING.

how could people forget how atrocious of a move that was?
I was at a game when they played the Devils. We simply had no answer for that line. 2 huge goons in front of the net... i think it was tougher to play against then you realize.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Raoul Duke*

He decided to give other people a chance to play in the NHL, his domination was just too much for the league to handle.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 12:52 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
he skated with his head down over and over this they teach u when u first play the game, never look down. just because he was bigger than most of the players, does not mean it was harder for him to keep his head up.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

Still remember the way he would steam up ice with the puck. Being so big, and such a smooth skater was a sight to see

Anthony Mauro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Chris 84

Concussions.

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 02:39 PM
NJrocket24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 84 View Post
Concussions.
But he's getting Kate Hudson, so he's got that goin for him.

NJrocket24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 03:25 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philla* View Post
What happened in 2002-2003? He went from being a point per game player in 2001-2002 to scoring 53pts in 81 games in 2002-2003,81 games is the most games he's ever played. What do you think is the reason for the huge drop in points?
hmm i'm not sure, it could've been those concussions...that might have done it

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 03:32 PM
9darter
Soft Euro

vCash: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by philla* View Post
What happened in 2002-2003? He went from being a point per game player in 2001-2002 to scoring 53pts in 81 games in 2002-2003,81 games is the most games he's ever played. What do you think is the reason for the huge drop in points?
Okay so he didn't play soccer but you'll get my drift...

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Man, that FLY Line was ridiculous that first half of the season until Lindros got concussed against San Jose. That line was rolling and the team was rolling...after that, the wheels fell off.

A healthy Lindros was one ridiculously skilled player. That goal he scored in game 4 of the '97 conference finals with 6.8 seconds left still haunts me to this day. Leetch tied it up and we had all the momentum...we win that game and the series is 2-2. Anybody know of a link to that video?

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 08:59 PM
DaBadGuy7

Send a message via AIM to DaBadGuy7
Oh i remember that 02-03 season well,Lindros takes a bad penalty against the Devils in the last game of the year. The Devils score to take a 2-1 lead and the Rangers are eliminated from the playoffs . I think that and Lindros' constant injury-proness pretty much finished off his New York run.

DaBadGuy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 09:19 PM
SML

Eric Lindros is one of the great tragic characters in the history of sports. He is what happens when a young player is so much bigger, faster, stronger, and better than every player he has ever played against. In a way, he was so good he never learned to do what every other player has to do: protect himself. At 18 years old, Eric Lindros made grown men look like kids. I remember him dropping the gloves with Scott Stevens and absolutely handing him his ass as a rookie in a fight that was so one sided, I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Picture another 18 year old even contemplating stepping up to hit him when he came barreling through the neutral zone. It wasn't going to ever happen. So IMO, Lindros' fatal flaw was just that, he skated with his head down all the time. The trait that made him so dangerous, that reckless abandon that was so impossible to stop, became his weakness when he finally got to the NHL against the best players in the world, who were going to step up and crack a guy who had his head down no matter who he was. Once the weakness was exposed, the rest of the league fed on him like a school of piranhas. He couldn't play the same game or he'd be out of the league and possibly permanently injured. That could explain shifting him to the wing, where someone else could lug the puck and Eric could stay away from the big open ice hitters of the day. In the end, he had a career that is nothing to be ashamed of, but he was so hyped at such a young age, nothing short of eclipsing Wayne Gretzky would have been considered falling short of expectations that were way too high for anyone to handle.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 09:58 PM
alkurtz

Perhaps the most perfect hockey player I have ever seen. If you were to design a player, he would be the template.
When he came to the Rangers, after being out of the game for a bit, for the first 10 or so games, he was terrible. He was playing not to get hurt (perfectly understandable). Then he discovered that he could take a few hits and survive and for two months (Nov. and Dec.), playing with York and Fluery (the FLY line or as I liked to think of them "the little legion" line) we saw the real Lindros. I remember being in awe of his skills, especially his great hands. The Rangers were in first place, he was in the top five in scoring, and he was talked about as a possible MVP. Then he took what seemed like a minor hit around New Years (I believe it was on the West Coast, maybe in LA), and he suffered another concussion. When he returned he was never the same. But I'll always treasure those two months, the guy was a monster.
And, in his earlier, younger days with the Flyers, he single handedly changed the league. Every team started to get bigger and look for large skilled players. For a brief time he had more influence on how the game was played than anyone else.
I agree, his is a tragic case. Just a super player: Gretz, Mario, Sydney, Lindros....the best I've ever seen.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 10:40 PM
DaBadGuy7

Send a message via AIM to DaBadGuy7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Man, that FLY Line was ridiculous that first half of the season until Lindros got concussed against San Jose. That line was rolling and the team was rolling...after that, the wheels fell off.

A healthy Lindros was one ridiculously skilled player. That goal he scored in game 4 of the '97 conference finals with 6.8 seconds left still haunts me to this day. Leetch tied it up and we had all the momentum...we win that game and the series is 2-2. Anybody know of a link to that video?

DaBadGuy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 11:50 PM
Jxmarts

Barry Beck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
played scared.
It's easy for some of us couch potatoes to say he "played scared," but I'd never accuse Lindros of being afraid. I think he was always dying to play the power game that made him special, but because of the multiple concussions, he knew that his only chance to continue playing would be to avoid shots to the head. So he was forced to alter his style of play accordingly.

I disagree with the posters who claim he didn't try to change his game like an Yzerman. He spent the last 5 years of his career tying to do just that! But he was always most effective in the instances that he reverted back his to power game, however fleeting those moments were.

I'm surprised I haven't heard this comparison yet, but Lindros' career reminds me an awful lot of that of Barry Beck. Of course, Beck was a defenseman, and his problem was his shoulder. But their career paths were eerily similar.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 12:14 AM
Cherepanov 71

he needed giant pillows for a helmet and didnt get it

Cherepanov 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 01:34 AM
czechmate25

Didn't Lindros get the primary assist on Jagr's first Ranger goal?

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 10:01 AM
Chris 84

He was at serious risk and had to change his game if he wanted to stay in the game which made him less effective. He'd have been stupid to play the same style with the injuries he had got.
In the end, Doig got him anyways and it was just a matter of time before he retired.

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 06:51 PM
Evil Sather

The real answer is concussions, and not because he played scared:

They very clearly robbed him of his hand/eye coordination resulting in much poorer stickhandling, passing, and especially shot accuracy. Add in that he wasn't intimidating with size any more and really he was a big, average skilled forward who didn't go into traffic much. Not really hard to shut that guy down.

Putting Lindros on wing was actually a pretty good idea given his size and ability to control the boards, as well as his shot power. Philly put him on wing in Game 6 of the series against the Devils when he came back and he dominated -- he just wasn't the same guy talent wise.

Evil Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 09:11 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather View Post
The real answer is concussions, and not because he played scared:

They very clearly robbed him of his hand/eye coordination resulting in much poorer stickhandling, passing, and especially shot accuracy. Add in that he wasn't intimidating with size any more and really he was a big, average skilled forward who didn't go into traffic much. Not really hard to shut that guy down.

Putting Lindros on wing was actually a pretty good idea given his size and ability to control the boards, as well as his shot power. Philly put him on wing in Game 6 of the series against the Devils when he came back and he dominated -- he just wasn't the same guy talent wise.
That might be true but it doesn't explain why he stopped going into traffic. Not like his concussions made him smaller. He was still a huge player, even by today standards. Like someone earlier had posted against Japan Lindros was a one man wrecking crew. To be effective the Big E had to intiate contact, bang in the corners and run through people in the neutral zone. Pretty obvious that after the San Jose game he stopped being that type of player. He still had the great release and puck control he just stopped driving to the net and physically imposing his will on the game. Too bad cause for about 2 or 3 seasons there he was one of the best that ever played the game!!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Evil Sather

It's like you quoted me but didn't read a thing I wrote.

Evil Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 10:29 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather View Post
It's like you quoted me but didn't read a thing I wrote.
Read what you wrote but don't agree that his hockey skills eroded as much as you think they did. I won't say he played scared -- he stopped playing hard. Who could blame him given his history! Not so much that teams stopped him as he stopped playing the way he used to. Stopped banging, stopped driving to the net, stopped taking the abuse in the corners and in front of the net. Not much to do with his concussions eroding his hockey skills as it had to do with him not playing the style that made him successful. Make sense now??

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 10:38 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate25 View Post
Didn't Lindros get the primary assist on Jagr's first Ranger goal?
yes he did.. against the florida panthers and roberto luongo at home

trueblue9441 is online now   Reply With Quote