HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My New Rangers Blog

Old
08-01-2008, 06:28 PM
BlairBettsBlocks

vCash: 500
My New Rangers Blog

http://nyrinreview.blogspot.com/

I decided to make a blog about the rangers, and the NHL because being a hockey writer is something that i want to turn in to a career. i figured if i do something like journalism it'd be good to put on my college application when the time comes

check it out, all feedback is appreciated

i talk about the rangers, and end with a little bit about news around the league. when the season starts ill breakdown games and all of that good stuff

thanks in advance

BlairBettsBlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 06:34 PM
GarretJoseph*

Looks good.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 06:39 PM
BlairBettsBlocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Looks good.
thank you very much

Old
08-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Cherepanisimov

it looks awesome, i'll definitely check it out daily

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 08:13 PM
BlairBettsBlocks

i dont know if ill update it daily, but thanks for the approval

i didnt expect it to be that good lol

Old
08-01-2008, 09:18 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Nice to see another face in the legion of Rangers writers

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

I like it right now good job

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 10:19 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
ill put a link to it on my blog...maybe help get u some hits

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
ill put a link to it on my blog...maybe help get u some hits
you have a blog

Old
08-01-2008, 10:42 PM
FutureGM97

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
you have a blog
l
l
l
l
V

Old
08-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Very nice blog!

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 10:49 PM
ryan41
LETS GO RANGERS

The 3rd Line provides some real good energy. Dubinsky plalyed on the 1st Line with Jagr last year, but i dont think anyone would say he is a 1st line center, atleast not on this team.

typos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haha looks good man. layout nice and simple.

ryan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 10:54 PM
cmb572

looks good bro i already added it to the 100s of other nhl sites i bookmarked...but nah really it does look good

cmb572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 11:03 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocks View Post

I decided to make a blog about the rangers, and the NHL because being a hockey writer is something that i want to turn in to a career. i figured if i do something like journalism it'd be good to put on my college application when the time comes

i talk about the rangers, and end with a little bit about news around the league. when the season starts ill breakdown games and all of that good stuff

thanks in advance
good page but we signed voros for 1 mil to not play i bet someone gets dealt b4 camp.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 11:06 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubinskyNYR17 View Post
good page but we signed Rissmiller for 1 mil to not play i bet someone gets dealt b4 camp.
fixed

FutureGM i know you had a blog, hence the

Old
08-01-2008, 11:11 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
fixed

haha rismiller is crap, i watched alot of sharks games, he reminds me of a north american marcel hossa. id rather have signed owen nolan if we wanted size.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 11:12 PM
FutureGM97

Quote:
fixed

i know...should have put a of my own

Old
08-01-2008, 11:14 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubinskyNYR17 View Post
haha rismiller is crap, i watched alot of sharks games, he reminds me of a north american marcel hossa. id rather have signed owen nolan if we wanted size.
yeah but Rissmiller is a $1 million AHL player, while Nolan is a $2.5 dollar 3rd liner.

Old
08-02-2008, 12:37 AM
BlairBettsBlocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan41 View Post
The 3rd Line provides some real good energy. Dubinsky plalyed on the 1st Line with Jagr last year, but i dont think anyone would say he is a 1st line center, atleast not on this team.

typos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haha looks good man. layout nice and simple.
I knew it wouldnt be long before i had one of those lol

thanks everyone

Old
08-02-2008, 01:20 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:

thanks in advance
Hey, your blog looks pretty nice.
I'll be sure to keep checking it out.

I hope you don't mind but I wanted to share some constructive criticism. Especially because you mentioned a future in journalism.

1) Please don't under estimate the importance of spelling, punctuation, capitalization and grammar in your blog. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but if your serious about this and you want others to take you seriously this stuff goes a long way. Also, old habits die hard, trust me I know. Each time you right "i" instead of "I" your creating a bad habit all of us web dwellers suffer from, but one you'll need to break eventually. After you finish your blog updates take a few minutes to edit them. Not just read them over, but scrutinize looking for mistakes. Its a practice that will pay off for you later, and the end result will tell visitors to your blog that you really care about the product your putting out.

2) And this is just a suggestion, but find a niche. Trust me, if I want a recap of whats going on in Rangers land, there are hundreds of sites I can go to, or papers I can read. You want to offer people something they wont find somewhere else, added value that will keep them coming back for your columns. I know this is hard, especially in the off season when even the most seasoned writers and bloggers are desperate for column inches, but once the season starts maybe you could pick a niche and become the expert on that area. Seriously, you can only read so many breakdowns of the same game summary. If maybe you chose an area of focus such as:
1) power-play/penalty kill
2) the actions of the coaching staff
3) goaltending
4) a star of the game
5) or any other aspect of the game you enjoy most

becoming the expert in one of those areas gives people a reason to stop in and see what you have after each game.

Good Luck!

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 02:27 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post

I hope you don't mind but I wanted to share some constructive criticism. Especially because you mentioned a future in journalism.

1) Please don't under estimate the importance of spelling, punctuation, capitalization and grammar in your blog. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but if your serious about this and you want others to take you seriously this stuff goes a long way. Also, old habits die hard, trust me I know. Each time you right "i" instead of "I" your creating a bad habit all of us web dwellers suffer from, but one you'll need to break eventually. After you finish your blog updates take a few minutes to edit them. Not just read them over, but scrutinize looking for mistakes. Its a practice that will pay off for you later, and the end result will tell visitors to your blog that you really care about the product your putting out.

2) And this is just a suggestion, but find a niche. Trust me, if I want a recap of whats going on in Rangers land, there are hundreds of sites I can go to, or papers I can read. You want to offer people something they wont find somewhere else, added value that will keep them coming back for your columns. I know this is hard, especially in the off season when even the most seasoned writers and bloggers are desperate for column inches, but once the season starts maybe you could pick a niche and become the expert on that area. Seriously, you can only read so many breakdowns of the same game summary. If maybe you chose an area of focus such as:
3) goaltending
4) a star of the game

becoming the expert in one of those areas gives people a reason to stop in and see what you have after each game.

Good Luck!
I'm not trying to be a jerk but when you give advice on grammar and punctuation you paint yourself into a corner of having to not make any mistakes also.
  • Under estimate should be one word.
  • Your should be you're. Way too many people make this mistake.
  • Right should be write.
  • Its should be it's.
  • Wont should be won't.

I write for a living and I may have made some errors here also (It's 3:30 AM) but you get the idea. Your advice to the other poster is very accurate and I hope that you understand that my advice to you is being given in the same spirit as your advice to the other fellow.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 09:50 AM
BlairBettsBlocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post

3) goaltending
4) a star of the game

Good Luck!
thank you very much for the advice

when games do start, i think i'd breakdown virtually every aspect of the game, maybe add some humor (ive been told im a pretty funny guy)

i just gave a quick update of news around the league, since im not going to be around today, so if anyone wants to check it out, go for it, but not really anything special there

Old
08-02-2008, 12:59 PM
BigE

Quote:

thanks in advance
Just a few comments to help you out:

- If you're looking to turn writing into a career, professionalism is going to stand out the most in your work. That means things like grammar, writing tone, and the structuring of your arguments is going to need to be improved.

- Decide what your purpose is and stick to it. In other words, are you simply a blog dedicated to posting factual news updates about the Rangers or the NHL at large? Will you also be offering opinions? Whatever you decide, be consistent.

- Lastly, I like the layout as it's simple and easy on the eyes. However, I would recommend that you re-work the opening gif as the grey font on top of the NHL logo is impossible to make out.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 01:16 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I'm not trying to be a jerk but when you give advice on grammar and punctuation you paint yourself into a corner of having to not make any mistakes also.
  • Under estimate should be one word.
  • Your should be you're. Way too many people make this mistake.
  • Right should be write.
  • Its should be it's.
  • Wont should be won't.

I write for a living and I may have made some errors here also (It's 3:30 AM) but you get the idea. Your advice to the other poster is very accurate and I hope that you understand that my advice to you is being given in the same spirit as your advice to the other fellow.
I absolutely appreciate your comments, constructive criticism is always helpful! In my defense though typing on these boards is very informal to me so I'll be the first to admit I rarely spell check or check my grammar, especially at 2:30 in the morning!
Also, our newly blogging friend is writing for an audience with aspirations of a future in journalism, while as for myself, I will admit I have never had the talent or proper grasp of the art of the written language to hold a reader. I do love to read though and was only trying to share the things I notice in good writing. Professionally I work in the field of A/V and IT, but I'll be the first to admit that my profession is no excuse for poor writing skills, everyone no matter what the field should take pride in their ability to communicate verbally or in written form properly! I'm sure that you can tell that even though I'm not a writer, I do care enough to get defensive even though I know you approached me with the same helpful spirit as I approached th OP. I am smart enough though to see that you were offering me helpful advice and I do appreciate that, only a fool would reject a helping hand!

Old
08-02-2008, 01:33 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
thank you very much for the advice

when games do start, i think i'd breakdown virtually every aspect of the game, maybe add some humor (ive been told im a pretty funny guy)

i just gave a quick update of news around the league, since im not going to be around today, so if anyone wants to check it out, go for it, but not really anything special there
Cheers to you! at 17 you handle constructive criticism better than I do in my 30's so your already well on your way. Your off to a good start and with some schooling and practice I'm sure you'll be writing in the sports sections for years to come! Stick with it