HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nash: One year early

Old
07-24-2008, 03:21 PM
JayGee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Thought this might make some people laugh:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...to-maple-leafs
That's awsome....in a short bus kind of way.

JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Thought this might make some people laugh:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...to-maple-leafs
Should have read this

Quote:
Alan's Bio
I have worked on cruise ships for the last 5 years. I will be attending school in September and studying Broadcast Journalism, one day I would like to work as a Sportscaster with TSN or ESPN.
before reading the piece.

This was, I'm going to venture, at the crux of the recent "Great Blog Debate." This is a long way from Puckrakers.

Old
07-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Can you imagine the outcry from this fanbase if Nash was traded for a couple Leafs scrubs and prospects?

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 04:52 PM
cpmCBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post

This was, I'm going to venture, at the crux of the recent "Great Blog Debate." This is a long way from Puckrakers.
I understand the point you're making here, but have you ever read firejoemorgan.com? It's amazing that some of those "sportswriters" still have jobs. I consistently see better analysis and content on blogs than I do in newspaper columns.

cpmCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 05:05 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmCBJ View Post
I understand the point you're making here, but have you ever read firejoemorgan.com? It's amazing that some of those "sportswriters" still have jobs. I consistently see better analysis and content on blogs than I do in newspaper columns.
Yeah, yeah, "new" media, I know. Problem is, everyone's a "writer" on the Internet. How to separate anyone who knows something from those who don't? (Not just people who have contacts or "information," butt who's not a dumbass and who is.) Plus the reason so much "analysis" takes place on the Web is that it doesn't have to be vetted or even credible. I'm not saying there isn't good work being done by non-credentialed writers, or that there aren't some hacks among the "legit" media, but given the amount of stuff out there, I know how I'm prioritizing my online reading.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 08:44 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurcorerock View Post
This ofcourse depends on anyone's definition of elite players in the league

Is Nash one of the top 5? hell no

Is Nash one of the top 20? yeeeeup
That's my definition and Nash fits in. I can foresee Backman's money or at least a large portion of it (once his contract ends this season) going to Nash's new contract.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
QFT
I tend to disagree with your posts more often than I agree, but when we see eye to eye its usually 100%. Nash will get big dollars and alot of years, and it will be a very amicable transaction for both sides.
I don't keep score on post comments that I agree with or disagree with, I really don't. I say my peace and respond to specific posts based on my interest in what is said then move to the next. Anyway, I see you didn't mention a team name in your your amicable transaction comment. I agree, because that team could be one of several when the time comes if the Jackets don't start making money...

Last edited by Robert: 07-24-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 10:36 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Nash is from a Toronto suburb...

as they say every young boy grows up wanting to put on the Maple Leaf. Pretty sure I heard Luke Schenn just say this as he was very excited to go to Toronto rather than fall to Columbus.

I want to believe the best.. but he only stays if we win and contend.

LetsGOJackets!! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 11:30 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I don't keep score on post comments that I agree with or disagree with, I really don't. I say my peace and respond to specific posts based on my interest in what is said then move to the next. Anyway, I see you didn't mention a team name in your your amicable transaction comment. I agree, because that team could be one of several when the time comes if the Jackets don't start making money...
Wow ~! Slid that dagger in right between the 3rd and 4th rib... Nords never even saw it coming.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 06:24 AM
blahblah

The followup to the blog last night...

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...K.html?sid=101

Glad he's not going to wait. Let's see how Nash feels next summer.

Quote:
Jackets general manager Scott Howson, who's trying to close a deal with goaltender Pascal Leclaire, said the club will initiate talks next summer with Nash.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 07:03 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
"It's always in your head obviously about (where) your following years will be," said Nash, who scored 38 goals last season. "I'm happy in Columbus; I love it in Columbus. I would stay here if everything lined up right."
Uh-oh........Let's hope things "line up right"!

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Wow ~! Slid that dagger in right between the 3rd and 4th rib... Nords never even saw it coming.
lol, ya, I did. He will be more specific next time...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Skraut

Bah, that story about Rick Nash has an image of Jim Tressel's book on it.

I blame Keith B. Whittington.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 10:15 AM
RDriesenUD

i loved his quote from puckrakers about his resposibility as team captain. its his obligation to get them to the playoffs.

btw, Nash is going nowhere unless this team shows no ability to win from here till his free agency. and we aren't gonna do that. so, he is staying.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
I'm sure he's ecstatic about playing with RJ Umberger.

who's the #1 centers in free agency next year?

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Inquiring Minds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
I'm sure he's ecstatic about playing with RJ Umberger.

who's the #1 centers in free agency next year?
I've started to ask this question several times, and ended up deleting it. Might as well take the plunge now.

Where do these #1 centers come from? What defines a #1? That he skates there on another team, or because he would be #1 on our team (**cough** Vermette)? Do they hatch from the draft, and you can tell at a glance that he is destined to be a #1 (Brule or Crosby)? Or, to finally get to the point, when can you tell that a #2, given the chance can step up his play and become a #1? (RJ)

After the last month, it is very apparent that despite our best efforts, we will not be able to obtain a center that anyone here would consider a #1. Either our team isn't good enough to entice the developed & recognized talent to come here, or the league perception of Columbus is so skewed that elite players would be embarrassed to sign with us. That really just leaves us with three options: 1) continue whining & grousing that SH won't get us elite talent from other teams or in free agency; 2) obtain talent on the next level, and develop it to the elite level; or 3) draft potential and nurture it until it blossoms into elite talent.

I believe that GMSH has honestly made every attempt at getting a #1 through FA. He has publicly stated that we would not be outbid for a player we really wanted. Everything I've read indicates that we were not outbid, they chose to go elsewhere for reasons other than money. We can debate potential trades forever, but the reality is that there are dynamics in play that we fans cannot imagine or understand.
Apparently, the only avenue left for us is to develop talent internally. Quite frankly, I've reached the point that I prefer it this way. We've been snubbed, ridiculed, rejected, beat up, etc. by the rest of the league. When we make the playoffs, I don't want them to point and say "They only made it because they got X from Ottawa, or Y from Pittsburgh" I'd rather flip them a Bronx salute and say that these are our boys, homegrown. You didn't want them, but they came here and we welcomed them into our team. And they got better. They were good before, but they became great when they became Jackets.
I hope this happens before it's time to re-sign Nash. I think it will.

(hits "Submit" and ducks)

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 01:39 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

I think that's an excellent post, IM, and I hope you get your wish.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 02:37 PM
FlaggerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiring Minds View Post
lEverything I've read indicates that we were not outbid, they chose to go elsewhere for reasons other than money. We can debate potential trades forever, but the reality is that there are dynamics in play that we fans cannot imagine or understand.
Apparently, the only avenue left for us is to develop talent internally. Quite frankly, I've reached the point that I prefer it this way. We've been snubbed, ridiculed, rejected, beat up, etc. by the rest of the league. When we make the playoffs, I don't want them to point and say "They only made it because they got X from Ottawa, or Y from Pittsburgh" I'd rather flip them a Bronx salute and say that these are our boys, homegrown.
Well said. We won't get respect until we beat it out of them.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 05:38 PM
Bobcat110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Uh-oh........Let's hope things "line up right"!
Yep...we have two years to find that elusive 1st line center and become playoff contenders.

Bobcat110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 12:34 AM
Hugg

As much as we have to line things up and become a contender for Rick to stay, it's as much on him as anyone else that we do become one. I love the guy, but anyone who says Nasher leaves everything on the ice every time he's out there is either naive or lying.

Hugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 09:25 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Bah, that story about Rick Nash has an image of Jim Tressel's book on it.

I blame Keith B. Whittington.
You know, that is so easy to rip on me. But the bottomline is, my team seems to be able to make it to the championship every year, then tank against arguably lesser talent.

The Buckeyes at least get off the sofa and walk to the fridge to get a beer, The Jackets have just stayed there and figured someone else would eventually get it, and meanwhile, Jackets fans are parched.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 03:06 AM
JACKETS! on the PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
The Buckeyes at least get off the sofa and walk to the fridge to get a beer, The Jackets have just stayed there and figured someone else would eventually get it, and meanwhile, Jackets fans are parched.

Keith - how many K's are in that?!? If I were to guess I'd suspect there are 3 K's...

I disagree with your premise. At least they serve beer in the Nat so that we can get our swerve on... It's necessary, you know, to deal with the lackluster play of the Jackets.

They don't even serve alcohol at the Shoe and since The Ohio State campus is obviously dry the only place a Columbus native can wet his/her whistle is in the Arena District at the R bar and the numerous refreshment stands within Nationwide Arena.

Keith, you seem to be misinformed once again...

Last edited by JACKETS! on the PP: 08-03-2008 at 03:11 AM.
JACKETS! on the PP is offline   Reply With Quote