HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Gardner let go by Dinamo Minsk

Old
07-29-2008, 06:55 AM
cska78

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Gardner let go by Dinamo Minsk

They fired him without playing a single game, not even exhibition. Something must be wrong, may be another team out of the league?

I predicted Minsk and Riga dropping out, but I didn't think it would be so soon)))

We'll see what's to come.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Sakaarnis

Dont think Minsk will bail out, but we will see whats the reason behind the move.

As for Riga, they will play this season, thats for sure. Im more worries about next season, especialy if results will be bad.

Sakaarnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Den

I think it is quite obvious why. Gardner said his wife is sick and will not be joining him. The managment just did not want to take any chances with the coach who would be flying to NA at the first opportunity and possiblly abandoning the team now and then for his family.

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 11:28 AM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

He missed a practice for "health issues" and a Yaroslavl fan has mentioned that he isn't quite control of a certain addiction and that's why Lokomotive didn't have him back.

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 11:55 AM
ranndino

Send a message via AIM to ranndino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky born Pilot View Post
He missed a practice for "health issues" and a Yaroslavl fan has mentioned that he isn't quite control of a certain addiction and that's why Lokomotive didn't have him back.
That's correct. This article says that it was due to him being an alcoholic and that last year he was fired for the same thing by Lokomotiv Yaroslavl which subsequently made it all the way to the RSL finals.

http://www.sports.ru/hockey/5338601.htm

I don't think this means that Dinamo Minsk will drop out. They're already looking for a replacement. Rumor has it that it will be another Canadian.

Also, I really hope that Dinamo Riga isn't going anywhere. I'm very excited about the favorite team of my childhood being resurrected and will make an effort to watch every game KHL game in which they play.

ranndino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 09:15 AM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranndino View Post
That's correct. This article says that it was due to him being an alcoholic and that last year he was fired for the same thing by Lokomotiv Yaroslavl which subsequently made it all the way to the RSL finals.

http://www.sports.ru/hockey/5338601.htm

I don't think this means that Dinamo Minsk will drop out. They're already looking for a replacement. Rumor has it that it will be another Canadian.

Also, I really hope that Dinamo Riga isn't going anywhere. I'm very excited about the favorite team of my childhood being resurrected and will make an effort to watch every game KHL game in which they play.
they won't drop out this year, I meant eventually - 2-5 years down the road.

Old
08-02-2008, 01:09 PM
ranndino

Send a message via AIM to ranndino
Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
they won't drop out this year, I meant eventually - 2-5 years down the road.
Let's hope not. People in Latvia absolutely LOVE hockey. Latvian hockey fans are the best, loudest and most dedicated in the world. Even at the last World Championships all the way in Canada guess which country brought the largest contingent of fans with them. Yes, tiny Latvia.

ranndino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 12:46 PM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranndino View Post
Let's hope not. People in Latvia absolutely LOVE hockey. Latvian hockey fans are the best, loudest and most dedicated in the world. Even at the last World Championships all the way in Canada guess which country brought the largest contingent of fans with them. Yes, tiny Latvia.
I agree with you, it's Latvijan sport number one, but it hasn't always been like that, and hockey owes it's popularity in Latvija to Tikhonov and Jurzinov...I only predict that it's gonna be hard for a Latvijan club to maintain a competative roster, IMHO, and they obviously won't wanna be consistently last place or fighting to avoid it...If they want to keep the team predominantly Latvijan, they will have to face the reality - the country doesn't have the players to compete with Russian teams on regular bases as of today....

Old
08-03-2008, 11:10 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
I don't know, they have many good looking young players on the horizon: Karsums, Daugavins, Kulda, Bartulis.... If they can continue to devolop and retain talent, I think they can be a good country. Them and Belarus are developing nicely I think.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 02:25 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
I agree with you, it's Latvijan sport number one, but it hasn't always been like that, and hockey owes it's popularity in Latvija to Tikhonov and Jurzinov...I only predict that it's gonna be hard for a Latvijan club to maintain a competative roster, IMHO, and they obviously won't wanna be consistently last place or fighting to avoid it...If they want to keep the team predominantly Latvijan, they will have to face the reality - the country doesn't have the players to compete with Russian teams on regular bases as of today....
Well, you have to take into account that the KHL is throwing in a salary cap AND instituting a draft, so smaller clubs like Riga and Minsk, if they can break even financially, should be more easily able to field competitive teams via the draft and expand their fan base by competing with a young, talented core of players.

It'll be a long, slow, difficult process... but it's entirely possible. Look at some of the smaller-market teams in the NHL, and even Pittsburgh before the lockout. These were teams that struggled severely in the financial department, built teams through the draft and are back on the upswing, especially Tampa and Pittsburgh and, to a much lesser extent, Nashville (they actually made money this year).

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 08-04-2008 at 09:16 AM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 08:10 AM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
I don't know, they have many good looking young players on the horizon: Karsums, Daugavins, Kulda, Bartulis.... If they can continue to devolop and retain talent, I think they can be a good country. Them and Belarus are developing nicely I think.
I hope you are right!