HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your first language

View Poll Results: What is your mother tongue?
French 176 51.92%
English 127 37.46%
Other 36 10.62%
Voters: 339. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-04-2008, 10:27 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Going thru customs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Trust me, I do think about the dutch every time I go to bed. Wait I didn't say that. Did I?
I was just thinking that he looks very toit.

VirginiaMtlExpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 10:29 AM
x-bob

English

x-bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Gardak

Send a message via MSN to Gardak
French here

Gardak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 10:56 AM
wedge

french
wow.. 61-30.. I'm a bit surprised
you should have put another option for "other"

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 11:04 AM
terreur

French!

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 11:13 AM
emb24*

english BUT fluent in french

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Italian
French
English

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 11:29 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
My dad is French Canadian and my mom is Polish but growing up in the west island I consider english my main language though I can speak all three.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 11:44 AM
Toro

English, never got a hold on the french language. My mother's siblings kids can all speak french as they grew up in Sudbury, a largely french town.
In Windsor the only french i heard was when my mother was on the phone with family or from the TV when our Habs were on as they were televised on the french station here.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 11:54 AM
PhysicalTorque

Mine was French >_>

PhysicalTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 11:57 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
All the french people on welfare will vote and post during the day so the results will be skewed until the hard working anglos come back home tonight.

Come one! That joke would kill in T.O.!!

Lazy Latins....if only we could imbue them with the Protestant work ethic!

Ya know what happened to the protestant Frenchmen (Hugenauts)? They got kicked out of France for working too hard and making all the catholics look bad! How do I know this? Cuz I'm one of their descendants!

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
English-But my heritage is French.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Haven't we had this thread like 6 months ago... and the concensus was to have many choices... like French, English, Italian, Spanish, German.... and multiple choices like French/English, French/Italian, English/Italian.. and so forth, with the added choice of "other".

I'm both French and English and don't be fooled by the times I make grammatical errors as I do as much in French, and even more. I learned both growing up, and have roots in both, although my family is predominantly French.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 12:06 PM
#2eddieshore

Anglais.

#2eddieshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by #2eddieshore View Post
Anglais.
...nice touch.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 12:31 PM
True_Canadiens

I received an interesting message from Kafka. So obviously theres a lot of french people on this board and we can't speak french (this is a fact and I don't want to start a fight). So thats what he's saying:

Depuis le 31 décembre 2007, je n'ai plus écris un seul message sur les forums de hfboards, et je contacte chaque annonceur du Québec sur hfboards à cet effet. On nous force à nous exprimer en anglais sous prétexte que les annonceurs veulent des visiteurs anglophones, mais les habitants du Québec reçoivent des pubs... en français.

Ton sondage démontre qu'il y a une majorité de francophones qui visitent ce forum, et qu'il serait donc normal que l'on puisse utiliser le français. Ceci dit, j'ai utilisé à 98% l'anglais ici. Le seul fait de me faire interdire une chose m'incite à vous laisser.

Kafka
P.S.: Tu peux poster mon message dans ton sondage si tu veux.

Like I said I dont want to ****ed anything but I think he's right. If we can't can't speak french cause of the sponsors (witch is a good reason imo) why do we received ads in french?

True_Canadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 12:34 PM
GoodKiwi

I cannot speak at all so I take this as a cruel joke.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 01:03 PM
StlRams514

Send a message via MSN to StlRams514
Joile

StlRams514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Canadiens View Post
I received an interesting message from Kafka. So obviously theres a lot of french people on this board and we can't speak french (this is a fact and I don't want to start a fight). So thats what he's saying:

Depuis le 31 décembre 2007, je n'ai plus écris un seul message sur les forums de hfboards, et je contacte chaque annonceur du Québec sur hfboards à cet effet. On nous force à nous exprimer en anglais sous prétexte que les annonceurs veulent des visiteurs anglophones, mais les habitants du Québec reçoivent des pubs... en français.

Ton sondage démontre qu'il y a une majorité de francophones qui visitent ce forum, et qu'il serait donc normal que l'on puisse utiliser le français. Ceci dit, j'ai utilisé à 98% l'anglais ici. Le seul fait de me faire interdire une chose m'incite à vous laisser.

Kafka
P.S.: Tu peux poster mon message dans ton sondage si tu veux.

Like I said I dont want to ****ed anything but I think he's right. If we can't can't speak french cause of the sponsors (witch is a good reason imo) why do we received ads in french?

Well, here's the rub, I've used French on occasions here, just several words in a text in English and never have been called out for it. Although, when I was at RDS, just one sentence in English and I had a riot coming my way.

The thing Kafka should realize is that 1- HF is not based in Quebec 2- It is not only HfHabs, but a huge community that are all English, and the people from those other boards of HF are predominently English and they do come on the Habs board to read the comments and they would probably feel unwelcomed if they couldn't read what is said here 3- the website has a censorship tool that is based in English, for all the boards, Mods that are English and have to read the posts, making it French would cause them to make huge changes for the sole puporse of accomodating roughly under 5% of the total HF community.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 01:07 PM
StlRams514

Send a message via MSN to StlRams514
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Canadiens View Post
I received an interesting message from Kafka. So obviously theres a lot of french people on this board and we can't speak french (this is a fact and I don't want to start a fight).
I don't mean to turn this into a language debate at all, because I love both languages and cultures. But honestly, I think the whole 'French is surpressed' argument is dead.
Kafka's argument is a little unjust, because as the last poster said, only about 5% (tops) of the HF community is French. That 5% is is doing a great job in deciding that they will read in their second language and make it easier for the other 95% of people on the site.
Unfortunately for the French speaking people on the forums, it is not practical to think that the other 95% should conform to their ways, instead of the other way around. I commend the French posters for doing such a great job making it easier for people like myself (I can read and speak French, but it is much harder to understand).
Oh and by the way, I think we can all agree that the language police are one of the most ridiculous things in history.

Last edited by StlRams514: 08-04-2008 at 01:12 PM.
StlRams514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Brownies

French and I completely agree with the fact that we must talk in english around here. Most moderators don't talk french and it gets pretty heated around here during those famous Bruins/Habs games... We all chose an english board so...

Brownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRams514 View Post
I don't mean to turn this into a language debate at all, because I love both languages and cultures. But honestly, I think the whole 'French is surpressed' argument is dead. You can not force people from other provinces to conform to some of the ridiculous laws anglos in Quebec have to deal with. I think we can all agree that the language police are one of the most ridiculous things in history.
That poll has suddenly took a turn and we'll be close in 3...2...1....

Pretty obvious that while I'm obviously 100% french and known for by bias towards Q and french players...this board is called Hockey Future Boards.com....I just don't see any place for any french topics in there. There are certainly french boards in other places where you can write french and it's everybody's choice to do so....

I can write all I want about Quebec being the poutine country to any chinese restaurant, but if I really want Poutine, I'll just go to a place where they serve it.....

Besides, french people like myself can use that forum to improve a language that is somewhat kind of important in this world like it or not. And I think I improved a lot because of it....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 01:13 PM
True_Canadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Well, here's the rub, I've used French on occasions here, just several words in a text in English and never have been called out for it. Although, when I was at RDS, just one sentence in English and I had a riot coming my way.

The thing Kafka should realize is that 1- HF is not based in Quebec 2- It is not only HfHabs, but a huge community that are all English, and the people from those other boards of HF are predominently English and they do come on the Habs board to read the comments and they would probably feel unwelcomed if they couldn't read what is said here 3- the website has a censorship tool that is based in English, for all the boards, Mods that are English and have to read the posts, making it French would cause them to make huge changes for the sole puporse of accomodating roughly under 5% of the total HF community.
Makes sense.

True_Canadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 01:16 PM
MoonlightGraham

I'm very surprised at the number of francophones on here. Twice as many francos on an english board... I knew there were francophone posters, but I though it would be maybe 2 anglos for 1 franco.

I don't know about the others but I do get ads in french on HFBoards (looking at an awesome Fortier cars ad right now - Plus de 250 véhicules de 6000$ et moins!). What I would do is make a french subforum (like the Politics board) for Francophones. Obviously having french and english on the main Habs board would be too confusing.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
www.leekspin.com

I'm sorry, this is the first thing that comes to mind when I hear about finnish, even if that part of the song is gabberish.
Part of it? How about all, main use being calling the cows home?

But yeah, we have lots of vowels.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote