HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your first language

View Poll Results: What is your mother tongue?
French 176 51.92%
English 127 37.46%
Other 36 10.62%
Voters: 339. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-04-2008, 01:28 PM
StlRams514

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to StlRams514

I don't have any ads when I visit HF... Ever... And I didn't do anything special.

StlRams514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

You receive French ads because of your ip address.

I'm willing to be in just over a month I'll get them too.

Every English person speaks French everyday. Well, not really true French, just words. The influence from the Normandie kings during their rule of England has added many French words to the English language. As far as I can tell, they've added more than any other language.

I've seen huge posts here in French. I don't mind the odd one, gives me something to try and understand. A lot of the time, small sentences I can figure out what the words are I don't know, related to what I do know and the what the sentence is referring too.

Not too be an *******, but if you want to speak French predominantly, then the main forums on nhl.com have the board split in half for French and English. I go there the odd time to speak French...

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Renholder
Racing like a pro

I agree with the banana, there should be a third option for other

I was raised up speaking both English and Bangla but did all my primary and secondary education in French. I'm perfectly fluent in all three. I'm doing my post-secondary education In English now, and really it was an effortless transition.

It's funny when your french is Better than the native's (grammar wise) sometimes. I mask my accent pretty well both in English And French.

Literacy is the biggest problem for kids these days. They go through highschool pretending they can write in either french or English when they clearly have difficulties expressing themselves in speech or writing coherently. The only way to cure this ailment is really to hit the books, read people (in whichever language you're supposed to be using)!

Renholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Russian.

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Canadiens View Post
I received an interesting message from Kafka. So obviously theres a lot of french people on this board and we can't speak french (this is a fact and I don't want to start a fight). So thats what he's saying:

Depuis le 31 décembre 2007, je n'ai plus écris un seul message sur les forums de hfboards, et je contacte chaque annonceur du Québec sur hfboards à cet effet. On nous force à nous exprimer en anglais sous prétexte que les annonceurs veulent des visiteurs anglophones, mais les habitants du Québec reçoivent des pubs... en français.

Ton sondage démontre qu'il y a une majorité de francophones qui visitent ce forum, et qu'il serait donc normal que l'on puisse utiliser le français. Ceci dit, j'ai utilisé à 98% l'anglais ici. Le seul fait de me faire interdire une chose m'incite à vous laisser.

Kafka
P.S.: Tu peux poster mon message dans ton sondage si tu veux.

Like I said I dont want to ****ed anything but I think he's right. If we can't can't speak french cause of the sponsors (witch is a good reason imo) why do we received ads in french?
HFBoards is a private organisation. As a private organisation, they have the right to enforce any rules they may wish, even those that don't make any sense, are downward stupid, or are impossible to respect. So any argument regarding the "right" of french speaking poster to write in french because they are in a majority here is nonsensical; HFBoards isn't a democracy.

There are plenty of other french-speaking hockey boards on the internet, and if one really wish to write about the habs in french, one is free to register to one of these boards.

Obviously, nothing can stop any poster for submiting a petition to the board's owner, asking them to change their stance on the use of french. It has never worked in the past, and I don't think it's going to work now, but hey, nothing can stop you from trying.

As for why we are receiving french ads, my bet is that these ads are linked by IP.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post

Lazy Latins....if only we could imbue them with the Protestant work ethic!

Ya know what happened to the protestant Frenchmen (Hugenauts)? They got kicked out of France for working too hard and making all the catholics look bad! How do I know this? Cuz I'm one of their descendants!
Sooo... you're saying huge nauts run in your family? That's modest, isn't it?

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 02:02 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

French! I don't even remember the last time I spoke in english in real person lol.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
HFBoards is a private organisation. As a private organisation, they have the right to enforce any rules they may wish, even those that don't make any sense, are downward stupid, or are impossible to respect. So any argument regarding the "right" of french speaking poster to write in french because they are in a majority here is nonsensical; HFBoards isn't a democracy.

There are plenty of other french-speaking hockey boards on the internet, and if one really wish to write about the habs in french, one is free to register to one of this board.

Obviously, nothing can stop any poster for submiting a petition to the board's owner, asking them to change their stance on the use of french. It has never worked in the past, and I don't think it's going to work now, but hey, nothing can stop you from trying.

As for why we are receiving french ads, my bet is that these ads are linked by IP.
Bingo.

Old
08-04-2008, 02:24 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post

There are plenty of other french-speaking hockey boards on the internet, and if one really wish to write about the habs in french, one is free to register to one of these boards.

Still, they should allow us to speak french... What's their point?

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
Well, say you were going to a pure French forum on the habs. One day a group of, say Russians come on and make topics and only talk in Russian. Would you be mad at that, or just ignore them?

There are other people hear from Finland, Sweden, Russia, etc who've learned English as a 2nd, or 3rd, or whatever language and don't know French. Some people in the states have little involvement in French and the rest of Canada is ignorant and stops learning French in grade 9, but we're never taught anything other than Etre and Avoir and Ou est la chat? La chat est sur la chaise. /highschool French rant.

Old
08-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
Mainly, censorship and Mods... people would start swearing in French, and the mods would have to either change or learn French... all this for 5% of the whole HF community.

And BTW, you can actually speak some French without getting harassed, as long as you talk English most of the time.

Maybe if you did a poll on the main board... it would be like 5-10% French.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 02:32 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
All the french people on welfare will vote and post during the day so the results will be skewed until the hard working anglos come back home tonight.

Come one! That joke would kill in T.O.!!
It did well in Lancaster.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 02:41 PM
One Trick Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
Sid bouzak ya ibn kalb!

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 02:42 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Djiboutian.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Djiboutian.
Yes I did. He was being a dick.

Old
08-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Nazzy-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Well, say you were going to a pure French forum on the habs. One day a group of, say Russians come on and make topics and only talk in Russian. Would you be mad at that, or just ignore them?

There are other people hear from Finland, Sweden, Russia, etc who've learned English as a 2nd, or 3rd, or whatever language and don't know French. Some people in the states have little involvement in French and the rest of Canada is ignorant and stops learning French in grade 9, but we're never taught anything other than Etre and Avoir and Ou est la chat? La chat est sur la chaise. /highschool French rant.
It's not the people that are ignorant out West, its the education programs. I spent 8 years out west learning French in school (grade 4 -12) and still never learned anything more than Etre and Avoir etc. Such a waste. Most people have realized that and now there's a huge demand by parents to enroll their kids in immersion programs, but not nearly enough room.

I tried explaining to my g/f (who's not from NA) why I couldn't speak French after studying it for eight years. I told her the program was designed in such a crappy way that the only way to learn it would be to suplement it with study on your own. Unfortunately at no time between the ages of 9 and 17 was I mature enough to make this decision.

Now I'm contemplating enrolling in the Alliance Francaise to finally learn it. But I can still can't help but to look back and think "What a ****ing waste?" when I think of my experiences with French thus far.

Nazzy-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Born and raised in French in a so-called Pure Laine family that has been on this continent since the 16th century on my father's side.

I picked up English in my youth watching wrestling and playing video games. I eventually became billingual and consider English easier to speak today.

I speak bits and pieces of other languages, mainly latin languages, some German, and some Japanese. Not fluent in any of these, and not functional in latin languages and German unless it's written or spoken slowly. Japanese I only can hear well and speak some, can't write or read. I'm looking into studying the basics for Mandarin, Arabic and Hebrew.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 03:29 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazzy-19 View Post
It's not the people that are ignorant out West, its the education programs. I spent 8 years out west learning French in school (grade 4 -12) and still never learned anything more than Etre and Avoir etc. Such a waste. Most people have realized that and now there's a huge demand by parents to enroll their kids in immersion programs, but not nearly enough room.

I tried explaining to my g/f (who's not from NA) why I couldn't speak French after studying it for eight years. I told her the program was designed in such a crappy way that the only way to learn it would be to suplement it with study on your own. Unfortunately at no time between the ages of 9 and 17 was I mature enough to make this decision.

Now I'm contemplating enrolling in the Alliance Francaise to finally learn it. But I can still can't help but to look back and think "What a ****ing waste?" when I think of my experiences with French thus far.
Same here, I don't know how it is now but good luck being able to speak english after you spent years learning in school back in the days.

after 6 years, couldnt make one single sentence of my own, and I was one of the best in my class so...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 03:32 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

I speak French first but I'm perfectly bilingual.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 03:37 PM
MRocketR

French
I grew up in the Italian part of Switzerland and I learned French and German before I got to English. I speak all 4.

MRocketR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazzy-19 View Post

I totally agree, man. I took French from grade 1 - grade 9. Samething year in, year out. Nothing that truly helped get a grasp on to have a decent conversation with someone.

Bonjour, comment ca va? Ca va bien, et toi? Comme-ci comme-ca (suppose to mean so -so)

I've also seen other people say "Je ne pas parle le Francais. It's wrong and all, but I swear I was taught that. Maybe it's English people switching it to make sense in their mind, but I swear that's how I was.

Basically, learning French in a non-immersion is a waste of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRocketR View Post
French
I grew up in the Italian part of Switzerland and I learned French and German before I got to English. I speak all 4.
Lucky you. Must get confusing at times?

My goal was to know 3 languages, English, French, Russian, but I only know one right now

Old
08-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
I speak French first but I'm perfectly bilingual.
I speak English first, but after x number of years in French immersion I considered myself bilingual in French. Now, after 4 years in Japan (and despite no classroom/school study), I would say my Japanese level far exceeds my French. I guess if there is a "second language" poll, I'll be looking for an "other" option, as I now consider French to be my 3rd language...

And my German is seemingly similar in level to some of the French I am hearing about in this thread. I plan on improving that after beefing my French back up.

Old
08-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Matsi
got paws?

my mother tongue is swiss german... schwiizerdüütsch

i also speak english and french. i'm also trying to learn western apache, which is quite hard though.

Last edited by Matsi: 08-04-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Matsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Africa.

French, but I speak English just as well.

Africa. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Beakermania*

I added the other option.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote