HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: How much does an "administrative assistant" make?

Old
08-04-2008, 12:55 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

vCash: 500
OT: How much does an "administrative assistant" make?

I mean, in general...I have an interview in a few hours for an entry level "administrative assistant" position at a company here in Montreal. The work is basically ***** work, you know how it is...Preparing reports, writing letters, updating the website, making phone calls, scheduling meetings, etc...It isn't really the best job in the world but I'm having trouble finding something downtown that works for me...It sucks cause I mean, I have my bachelors (commerce) and this doesn't really require a degree, but there is alot of room for advancement (and I'm looking for something long term).

The question is, how much does an administrative assistant make? I mean on average, for Montreal? I sorta need something in the mid 30's to be able to afford my mortgage and everything...Does that seem to high for what the job is?

Some websites have said mid 30's is the average for this position in Canada, but who knows really...Can anyone help me out?

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I mean, in general...I have an interview in a few hours for an entry level "administrative assistant" position at a company here in Montreal. The work is basically ***** work, you know how it is...Preparing reports, writing letters, updating the website, making phone calls, scheduling meetings, etc...It isn't really the best job in the world but I'm having trouble finding something downtown that works for me...It sucks cause I mean, I have my bachelors (commerce) and this doesn't really require a degree, but there is alot of room for advancement (and I'm looking for something long term).

The question is, how much does an administrative assistant make? I mean on average, for Montreal? I sorta need something in the mid 30's to be able to afford my mortgage and everything...Does that seem to high for what the job is?

Some websites have said mid 30's is the average for this position in Canada, but who knows really...Can anyone help me out?
I've been doing that for a few years just before I'm doing the job I'm doing right now which is for a law firm as a paralegal/assistant. If you have some experience or if you never did that sort of work but can proove that other jobs you have done, you did have some things in there that an admin does, you could get from 30-35. Though entry level for me is quite scary 'cause that looks more to me than a 25K type of a job.

Though if you work downtown like I'm doing, it should start at 30K. It depends obviously on a lot of factors, type of companies, products, services and so on....Which company is this?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 01:17 PM
CH4

I also did that and now working in a firm as FA

administrative assistant earns about 35 top

well I am very far from being downtown MTL, so it may very well nbe higher given the cost of living here is wayyy under MTL

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 01:20 PM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
Quote:

How the hell did you get a mortgage without a job? Anyway, to answer your question, it depends on the type of industry but I think the starting salary would be anywhere between 29K-35K for that position, but more likely in the 31K-32K range.

If you are interested in working for at call cente for a Insurance company downtown, send me a PM and I can give you more details. Starting salary is about 36-37K

DJyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 01:20 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Thanks guys. I really need money right now so if they offer me around 35 I will take it for sure. The location is amazing too, and they said the job is just a stepping stone into the company so there is advancement potential there. With 35 I can afford my mortgage so that's all I really care about at the moment.

Old
08-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Turboflex*

25k, maybe 30k.

At larger corporations you can advance quickly though. In a brokerage for example you could be making 32k-45k in a year or two if you do the industry cenrtification courses that allow you to take orders from clients (along with prove you are competant and worth keeping around).

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Kirk Maltby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJyellow View Post
If you are interested in working for at call cente for a Insurance company downtown, send me a PM and I can give you more details. Starting salary is about 36-37K
Hi DJ, could you give me some information about this job?

You can email me at soclassy11@gmail.com ; my PMs currently don't work.

Kirk Maltby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 02:46 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Federal government aa's make anywhere from about 35K to 45K depending on who they work for (ie manager, senior manager etc...)

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 02:49 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Probably 30, maybe less...

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 02:55 PM
AD

Quote:

In law firms, the demand is high, and the administrative assistants here have specific training, so the pay is higher. (as much as 50-60 for very experienced assistants working for senior lawyers or multiple lawyers at a time).

The starting salary is around 35.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
In law firms, the demand is high, and the administrative assistants here have specific training, so the pay is higher. (as much as 50-60 for very experienced assistants working for senior lawyers or multiple lawyers at a time).
Yes sir!

Old
08-04-2008, 03:17 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Yes sir!
Trust me (coming from a lawyer) these people are indispensable!

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 03:18 PM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Classy View Post
Hi DJ, could you give me some information about this job?

You can email me at soclassy11@gmail.com ; my PMs currently don't work.
I will communicate with you later tonight

DJyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I know....I'm one of them (as a paralegal/assistant)......making the big bucks as well....I mean not as much as a lawyer though....

Old
08-04-2008, 03:23 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Nuts to that Dave...go work for the government...

You'll never work a day in your career

Old
08-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Forum Ghost

Quote:
Thanks guys. I really need money right now so if they offer me around 35 I will take it for sure. The location is amazing too, and they said the job is just a stepping stone into the company so there is advancement potential there. With 35 I can afford my mortgage so that's all I really care about at the moment.
Here are the results from the Salary Centre on Monster.ca.

Forum Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Astaroth

When I was at the ministry of justice I had two of them, now I share one.

Trust me these people are god's gift to the world. In the US a good paralegal can make over six figures.

Quote:

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 04:55 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I just got back from the interview...They really liked me and gave me the job on the spot. Offered me 35 + opportunity for increase in 3 months. I took it! So I'm finally employed again!

Old
08-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Stewart JH Esq MBE

How did you take a mortgage without a job?

Stewart JH Esq MBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 05:07 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Jemal Harris View Post
How did you take a mortgage without a job?
I had a job when I got the mortgage, and also I had someone co-sign with me.

Old
08-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Stewart JH Esq MBE

Oh. Well congrats on getting the job and all. You should keep looking just in case by the way, you never know when your big break might come at this new place. People lie.

Old
08-04-2008, 05:22 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Oh. Well congrats on getting the job and all. You should keep looking just in case by the way, you never know when your big break might come at this new place. People lie.
Yeah of course, I know. But I'm going to give this place at least 3-6 months before starting to look elsewhere.

Old
08-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Beakermania*

Congrats WD.... When do you start??

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Stewart JH Esq MBE

What does the company do?

And more importantly, will you have Internet access?

Old
08-04-2008, 05:32 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Congrats WD.... When do you start??
Either the 18th or the 25th, they'll call me tomorrow to confirm.

Quote:
What does the company do?

And more importantly, will you have Internet access?
Basically they do R&D and consulting for electrical companies all around the world. Most of the people there are engineers so they need some commerce people to run the business and whatnot.

I will definitely have internet access...Obviously. I'll be on here all the time as per usual.