HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How did you become a Rangers fan?

Old
08-05-2008, 07:41 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I had a nice black and white TV in my room and channel 9 - which was needed to watch the games.
lol you said it brother..........black and white and "The Big Whistle"

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Synergy27

I grew up in central NJ, and while I was always into sports, my family really wasn't, so it was really a complete toss-up for me as to which team I would eventually become a fan of. Hockey was always big in my neighborhood, but we had fans of basically every team running around - Rangers, Devils, Flyers, Bruins, etc., so the choice wasn't as simple as following my friends. The first NHL game I went to was a Devils/Habs game at Brendan Byrne Arena, in 1992-93 I believe. I still remember seeing the big ice for the first time, and watching Stephane Richer light up his old team. I was well on my way to becoming a Devils fan, but thankfully(?) the Rangers stepped in to save me.

A friend of mine gave me an extra ticket to a game at MSG later that season. The excitement I felt as a suburban 12 year old emerging from the Penn station steps and into the Garden for the first time was just ridiculous. The buzz in the building, the crowds, the smell of dirty water dogs (my family didn't go to NYC much); the experience was just different and 1000X better than the game in the swamp, which until that moment I thought was amazing. I've been a die hard ever since, and I was lucky enough to see them win right away.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Fletch

I still think about my 13-inch Solid State TV (Sears, I believe). How I had to have the antenna touching the window for the best reception, even once taping a ruler to it to enhance the picture. Man, I couldn't imagine watching a hockey game on a 26-inch TV now, let alone a 13-ince B&W TV.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 08:48 AM
DimaNYR

My parents moved to NY in 94 (what a great year ) I was 16 at the time.
need I say more?

DimaNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 09:00 AM
thesnake

No one in my family was a hockey fan growing up...

I was 9 in 1980 when the Miracle on Ice happened... I was hooked on hockey.

I needed a team to root for... my step-brother was a huge Islanders fan, and I really, really hated him, so the Rangers were the logical choice.

One of the worst memories I have as a hockey fan was watching Ken Morrow score that weak goal on Hanlon and eliminate the Rangers... it was horrible because i was sitting right next to my jagoff stepbrother when it happened.

thesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Fletch

snake - I'm a bit the same way. Prior to 1980, I was a hockey fan that tried to watch games but the enthusiasm for the sport jumped dramatically during the Olympics (I was 10 at the time). It was funny because even our gym class was plaing hockey more (sneakers, of course, and plastic sticks). I can remember asking to play hockey everyday, but unfortunately my gym teacher had other stupid things in mind - guess she wasn't a fan. I'm still bitter remember walking around a gym saying pujo and playing stupid games when I should've been playing hockey.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 09:30 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Born and raised in Suffolk county, growing up I used to trick or treat at homes of a bunch of Isles greats. Funny thing is when I got into hockey in the Mid 80's and started playing, and all my friends were Islanders fans after the 4 cups wins, I just couldn't do it...I couldn't hop on the Isles bandwagon, I had to be different than my friends guess, and to be honest when you look at the Islanders Jerseys, then you see the Rangers historic red,white and BLUESHIRTS!!! the decision was easy. Less than 10 yrs after I became a fan I was rewarded with the stanley cup in 94 the day after my birthday..how sweet it was. I guess I was spoiled a bit, but its gonna take another cup to erase my past decade of misery...

Other than my wife, the Rangers are the only thing I'm really committed to...

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 09:33 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I still think about my 13-inch Solid State TV (Sears, I believe). How I had to have the antenna touching the window for the best reception, even once taping a ruler to it to enhance the picture. Man, I couldn't imagine watching a hockey game on a 26-inch TV now, let alone a 13-ince B&W TV.
UUGGhh, I broke my antenna of adjusting it to many times, lol, so my dad rigged it up with a freaking clothes hanger...gotta say it worked, but looking back i cant believe i watched on that thing..

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 10:54 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
lol you said it brother..........black and white and "The Big Whistle"
I used to love when Bill "The Big Whistle" Chadwick and Jim Gordon did the games. At least a few times a game, Gordon would say "and the whistle blows". Cracked me up. Yeah, I know it's stupid.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Lady Vengeance
FTTW

I had a friend who got me into hockey by taking me to Hershey Bears games. He was also a Penguins fan, so I got into them for a bit (plus, this was when Jagr was just starting and I thought he was amazing). But I also developed a soft spot for the Rangers since my family was from NY. Then I just started to follow them more and more and BAM. They were my team.

Probably didn't hurt that I had a massive crush on Mike Richter.

Lady Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 11:35 AM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
Remember that Nintendo game Blades of Steel? I loved it. I used to play it and say Hockey was my favorite sport, even though I had never seen a Hockey game. This was like in 1989. However, I did know who Wayne Gretzky was. Anyway, there was this cartoon with Gretzy, Bo Jackson and Michael Jordan, it was ridiculous, but I watched it cus I said I liked Wayne Gretzy. Now he was an L.A. King at the time, but I still had not watched a game. Fast forward about 2 years and I am 10 years old and bored on a cold december night and I turn on the msg network. And there it was, the New York Rangers playing somebody. I wish I could remember who it was... Soon as I see this, I'm like "New York has a Hockey team?! How come I didn't know this?" I was ecstatic! So as soon as I turn it on it was "SAVE BY RICHTER". And that was my first Ranger player that I knew, and it turned out, my favorite of all time. That night I became a Rangers fan. And they won. And oh, I remember now, it was either the Pens or the Leafs who the Rangers beat that day.

And no one else in my entire family is a hockey fan or knows anything about the Rangers so I am a first generation Ranger fan.

Oh and the day that really solidified my Ranger diehardom... Was when I was 11 years old. It was a cold January night. I was at the McDonalds on 7th avenue between 34th and 33rd streets. It's always been there. Anyway I was on the second floor and it was around 6pm before I Ranger game and I had to go somewhere with my mom. Then I saw two kids and their dad with Rangers coats. They looked like they were going to the game. I really really wanted to go to the game after that. But like I said, no one else in my family liked Hockey and neither did anyone else I knew. So I was doomed. I begged my mom to take me but she was not going to sit through that. Well that night I watched the Rangers on TV with much passion. And as soon as I get home, someone from the Rangers scores a hat trick. I wish I could remember who it was... It could have been Kovalev or Graves, or maybe even someone else. But it was a big deal and it was against Pittsburgh. Anyway, that was the day that I started to really REALLY be a Rangers fan. As it turned out I waited until I was 23 years old to watch a Ranger game in the garden.

I just saw that Kovalev scored a hattrick on January of 93 against the Bruins... SO it could have been them instead of the Pens. I know whatever team it was was black and gold. But does anyone know if any other YOUNG Ranger player at the time scored a hattrick that year?

Last edited by MidnightRanger: 08-05-2008 at 11:53 AM.
MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 12:47 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Easy. Father's a Ranger fan.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 04:17 PM
pjdude

grandma was a fan (RIP Grandma), same with my dad, so I really just grew up with grandma & dad yelling at the tv to the refs, Bobby Clark, and others at times. It grew on me.

pjdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 10:34 PM
McMonster

My dad is a Ranger fan so of course, I had to be a Ranger fan too

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 10:55 PM
Unk

Brainwashed...

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 12:41 AM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
They chose me.

Pretty much sums up my answer.

I was born in 1978 and was exposed to NY Rangers hockey as far back as I can remember.

My Dad, while not quite the Fanatic he made me...(he's more of a Yankee buff) loved the sport and I started playing roller hockey at P.S. 214 at the age of 4.

Also had my first menisectomy (sp?) at age 4. (Football surgery)

Anyhow...I quickly learned to HATE anything Islanders.

I think I have serious issues, because all I can think of is how much I am going to miss watching Rangers hockey when I die. Will they win a gazillion cups etc etc

I doubt that I am alone....especially on this forum.

Here I am at age 7...still breaking Mom's stuff in the living room...TWISTED WRISTA!!!

Oh...and I'm still waiting for the first Puerto Rican NHL'er (hopefully drafted by the Rangers).

Was supposed to be me but my bum knee quickly shattered those dreams. 4 surgeries, The last 3 (including one 2 weeks ago) in the last year and a half, but I'm only 30.

I'm hoping to skate again in the near future...I'm feelin much better. Haven't played competitively in over 5 years. Lookin forward to it!

Ok hopefully I didn't depress anyone...lol

-Brian

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 03:01 AM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Simple, growing up in Israel I didn't even know what hockey was, aside from the fact there's some Wayne Gretzky guy who is just about as awesome as Michael Jordan is at basketball.

When I turned 13 I was taken for a visit in the USA, and unfortunately (at this, quickly turned to luckily!) my father had to go away for business, and instead of following the schedule, I stayed with relatives in Brooklyn.

It just so happens that just then the magical '94 playoff run started with the Isles series. With my Brooklyn relatives being Rangers fan (aside from one malfunctioning Islanders fan), it was the easiest thing in the world to get hooked. The feeling was amazing, the atmosphere was intoxicating.

I've become a Rangers fans from the very first game I saw with them, and have always been a Rangers fan since. By now hockey is my favorite sport, and I don't really watch other sports as much as I used to, with the exception of Manchester United in the EPL, which is another lifelong commitment.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 06:37 AM
Blazephr

I guess you could say I was born into it. My father & then my brother never missed a televised game. My fondest memories were watching the road games on channel 9 (home games were not televised) with my father & brother. Especially the west coast games...those were always memorable. My favorite Ranger as a kid was Anders Hedberg.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 10:13 PM
newf

i was included in the esposite trade

i loved him as a kid - only because we had the same name. so as a (very) young kid, i was a bruin's fan. but when he got traded, i started following the rangers. huge fan ever since.

newf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Garv23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnake View Post
No one in my family was a hockey fan growing up...

I was 9 in 1980 when the Miracle on Ice happened... I was hooked on hockey.
Same here man. At 9 years old, that moment made me a hockey fan for life. My dad was already a huge Ranger fan so the team choice was easy.

The old B&W TV stuff brings back memories. My dad somehow attached a straightened out hanger from the aluminum foil wrapped antanna to a nail on my wall that worked like a charm. But only if I sat on the far left corner of my bed with my hands up Also, my turn dial finally exploded through layers and layers of tape, but I still managed to change channels with pliers.

Good times

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 11:07 PM
NoUseNYR

I grew up with my family having season tixx to the AHL Binghamton Whalers and then the Binghamton Rangers when I was a little kid. My family still has tixx to AHL Senators games. Have been a huge NYR fan ever since I remember seeing Kovalev and Zubov in the minors, haven't missed a game since the cup year whether it's radio or TV. I live in NY still, but in a little town where nobody has a clue about hockey. I'm so glad to find you guys

NoUseNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 03:50 AM
rangerfan_79

Send a message via Yahoo to rangerfan_79
Back in 79 my grandma worked for MSG. She always got me tickets to the rangers and the circus....On quite a few nights that was one in the same show

Anyways the reason for my SN.

LET"S GO RANGERS!

rangerfan_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 08:26 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

dad's been a rangers fan his whole life, got my mom hooked when they started dating. i was born in '89, and my parents had me watching games as a baby. i remember the thrill of '94 when i was allowed to stay up however late until the game ended. 5 years old, awake at all hours, and loving every minute. parents got me a jersey when i was 7. i've bled blue ever since...

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 10:02 AM
ebn

I came to US in 1979 when I was 8. When I was 10 I saw Rangers play Pittsburg on tv channel 9 5 to 3. Was a fan ever since. That was the days of Mark Pavelich and Reo Routsalinen (How ever you spell it).

ebn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Grew up on the Island and naturally a majority of my friends were Islander fans. I went the different route and became a Rangers fan and two years later they won the cup. I took it as a sign that I was destined to be a Rangers fan.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote