HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: How much does an "administrative assistant" make?

Old
08-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Montrealer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Jemal Harris View Post
What does the company do?

And more importantly, will you have Internet access?
AAs don't have time to surf here. At least from what I've seen in my company, they tend to do all of the dirty work for their managers/VPs and this keeps them ridiculously busy.

I think AAs work harder than 95% of office workers, tell the truth. This is why they're so cranky when they call and their PC isn't working.

Oh, and congrats WD; AAs indeed can move far in a company if they take the initiative to learn the business as they uniquely can do in their position.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

I do 21,000. It's a dead-end contractual job as an accountant/office hole plug in a communauty center.

I say, schedule me, pay me, and if I get something better I'LL BAIL.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Stewart JH Esq MBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
AAs don't have time to surf here. At least from what I've seen in my company, they tend to do all of the dirty work for their managers/VPs and this keeps them ridiculously busy.

I think AAs work harder than 95% of office workers, tell the truth. This is why they're so cranky when they call and their PC isn't working.

Oh, and congrats WD; AAs indeed can move far in a company if they take the initiative to learn the business as they uniquely can do in their position.
Hard work being a virtue that makes you somehow entitled to some kind of recognition is a common misconception in our society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Either the 18th or the 25th, they'll call me tomorrow to confirm.

Basically they do R&D and consulting for electrical companies all around the world. Most of the people there are engineers so they need some commerce people to run the business and whatnot.

I will definitely have internet access...Obviously. I'll be on here all the time as per usual.
Fantastic news.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 08-04-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Stewart JH Esq MBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 05:50 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
I do 21,000. It's a dead-end contractual job as an accountant/office hole plug in a communauty center.

I say, schedule me, pay me, and if I get something better I'LL BAIL.
You're an accountant and you're making 21,000? Somebody didn't get a memo somewhere. I wish I were an accountant.

Quote:
Hard work being a virtue that makes you somehow entitled to some kind of recognition is a common misconception in our society.
Yup. Especially not of the monetary kind.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 05:59 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Your company and its services sound familiar. Watch out about "advancements" in companies with engineers though. For one, my experience with admins with no eng. degrees is that they have no ****ing clue what they're talking about when it comes to the product and services and just their general understanding of the technical jobs. It's case by case though but I think advancements are generally given to engineers with business diplomas in those types of companies.

Last edited by Little Nilan: 08-04-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
You're an accountant and you're making 21,000? Somebody didn't get a memo somewhere. I wish I were an accountant.

Yup. Especially not of the monetary kind.
He's right.

My brother is an engineer for ABB and he lives next door to me. He gets made fun of by welfare deadbeats sitting on their porch because he has to leave home a 6AM to go work and they get money doing nothing.

Hard work gets no props.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
He's right.

My brother is an engineer for ABB and he lives next door to me. He gets made fun of by welfare deadbeats sitting on their porch because he has to leave home a 6AM to go work and they get money doing nothing.

Hard work gets no props.
You live in a strange place.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Montrealer

Quote:
He's right.

Hard work gets no props.
Sorel sounds like an awesome place to live.

Do you actually have your CA cert? In Montreal they make multiples of what you're making.

Old
08-04-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
Nuts to that Dave...go work for the government...

You'll never work a day in your career
lol! true

i'm an AA for the govt. and i make 50k/yr...

kind of a joke really, out of the 8hr day, i probably have 2hrs of actual work..

Not very fufilling, but the paycheck is good for now

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 01:37 AM
Stewart JH Esq MBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem Anderson View Post
Your company and its services sound familiar. Watch out about "advancements" in companies with engineers though. For one, my experience with admins with no eng. degrees is that they have no ****ing clue what they're talking about when it comes to the product and services and just their general understanding of the technical jobs. It's case by case though but I think advancements are generally given to engineers with business diplomas in those types of companies.
Wise words that.

I have to get up in five hours for work. This is terrible.

Old
08-05-2008, 01:40 AM
Montrealer

Quote:
Wise words that.

I have to get up in five hours for work. This is terrible.
LOL @ 7:30 being early to get up for work.

I'm at work now!

Old
08-05-2008, 01:52 AM
Stewart JH Esq MBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
LOL @ 7:30 being early to get up for work.

I'm at work now!
That's well below average.

I'm off to bed now.

Bye.

With Love,

SJH

x

Old
08-05-2008, 08:07 AM
CH4

Quote:
I just got back from the interview...They really liked me and gave me the job on the spot. Offered me 35 + opportunity for increase in 3 months. I took it! So I'm finally employed again!
Gongrats!! nice news

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I just got back from the interview...They really liked me and gave me the job on the spot. Offered me 35 + opportunity for increase in 3 months. I took it! So I'm finally employed again!
Congrats WD, a new girl, new condo and a new job. Looks like 2008 is turning into a great year for you. Best of luck.

08-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Doctor House

Quote:

I agree - It's not the people that work hardest that make the most money. I'm 32 and make over $100K and work no more than 45-50hrs a week.

PS: I never went to any fancy school and my family was poor.

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 11:52 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor House View Post
I agree - It's not the people that work hardest that make the most money. I'm 32 and make over $100K and work no more than 45-50hrs a week.

I wouldn't say that. People who make money work very hard. But so do support staff. If you are young, you should try to acquire skills that will lead you to the job you like, of course, regardless of salary (though the salary should be decent). That requires a LOT of research into industries, the type of people that work in them, the work culture, the nature of careers/jobs. Being happy in your work has many facets. Every job has something you will like and hate. Professionals try to mold their job around the things they enjoy more and pass off the things they hate to support staff when possible. Don't just settle on something, do a lot of groundwork about who you are and what will make you happy. Do a lot of self-testing. There are many books out there. Or go see a professional to help you.

You should have a Plan A and a Plan B. Work towards your Plan A, but make money in the meantime. Be practical when you go to school. An undergrad degree, if not in business or sciences, is just there to train your brain to read, write, memorize better and to instill values. Blah, blah, blah.

Depending on your level of ability, an admin job should only be a Plan B. Get your university degree though, for sure. It's practically free in Canada. It's amazing that most people don't take advantage of this.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 08-05-2008 at 12:01 PM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 12:21 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I sorta forgot to mention...I actually got "promoted" during the interview...Originally the job was going to be simple AA tasks but they really liked me and now I'm technically an "Assistant Project Manager" and I'm going to be travelling and supervising a small group. I'm also in charge of "promotions" because I'm the only marketing person in the company...But to be fair their promotions consist of updating website content and brochures and stuff.

The money might seem low for what I'm doing but they said after my probation period is up, if they like me, they'll pay me whatever my work is worth. So I'll bust my ass and see where it goes.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Stewart JH Esq MBE

Can you chronicle your journey here waffledave?

Like some kind of blog or something.

Old
08-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

That's not exactly true. I know a lot of people in your salary range that not only put in more than 45-50hrs per week. But also another say 20hrs additional work at home.

If you're making 100K+ working those hours, consider yourself lucky. Because there are a lot of people in your salary range that have to work really hard and long to earn it.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Macbeth

Quote:

What do you do for a living, Doctor House ?

Macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 03:50 PM
GoodKiwi

Damn, I'm quitting my current job to start my own business. My projection is to make around 45k the first year or so before it goes up (if all is well of course). That 45k is close to 100% salary cut I will be taking when compared to my current pay.

And to think, I was whining to my girlfriend about this just now.

Good luck waffle!

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 04:03 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
Damn, I'm quitting my current job to start my own business. My projection is to make around 45k the first year or so before it goes up (if all is well of course). That 45k is close to 100% salary cut I will be taking when compared to my current pay.

And to think, I was whining to my girlfriend about this just now.

Good luck waffle!
Well, 35k is alot of money for a 23 year old...lol

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 04:08 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

I just got a web programmer job as early as this morning... Will get an estimated salary of between 35k and 40k per year (full time, 20$/hour), and I'm just coming out of school (19 years old)...

Programming is a nice job with a lot of openings... any other programmers here?

Oh, and good luck to you by the way WaffleDave...

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 04:31 PM
marchabsfan

A little OT but I didnt want to start another thread for this...

In a year or so, I will finish school. I know we have some people with all kind of contacts and experience here, so:

What will I get (approx) with my school background, from your experience ???

-Bacc. in Administration des affaires, 1 year left. UQAM (B.A.A. I believe...)

-In my Bacc, I did a financial planning certificate. Meaning I am an exam away from being a certified financial planner from IQPF (but Im not so sure I want to go that way...I think I would prefer the investment side more than the personal finance,well see.)

-I did the Fonds d'investissement du Canada course from ICB/IBC (institute of canadian banker). Once again I could apply to have the permit to sell funds with that, if my info. is correct.

-Did the Technical Analysis Course from CSI.

-I might be able to have the CFA exam level 1... I would love to have done the level 1 exam by the time I finish the bacc.

-No experience in a banking or investment firm to this today (I know I know)

-I will probably work downtown, my goal would be to be an analyst for investment companies

BTW the purpose of my question that is trying to plan to buy a house or somethings next year...trying to see what will be my income

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 04:31 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Programming is a nice job with a lot of openings... any other programmers here?
I used to be a programmer, although lately I've been project managing. I started around 8 years ago and my first full time job paid me 24k I think. Things have really propelled since and I finally popped 100k cherry last year. But as I got older I realized more and more that a true happiness for me lies in working for nobody other that myself. Which I will be doing as early as next month!

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote