HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's June 17, 1994.....

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2004, 04:45 PM
drewcon40

vCash: 500
It's June 17, 1994.....

....and the parade is over and Keenan hasn't requested his Streisand tickets. How would you want to see the Rangers function from this point on. Reminiscing about the old times and seeing all of your interesting posts. How would you want to see the post 1994 Rangers continue. You could play GM, owner, or just fan.

Trades? Line ups? Re-signing players? You name it.

Old
06-15-2004, 04:57 PM
pld459666

I'd make sure I get

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40
....and the parade is over and Keenan hasn't requested his Streisand tickets. How would you want to see the Rangers function from this point on. Reminiscing about the old times and seeing all of your interesting posts. How would you want to see the post 1994 Rangers continue. You could play GM, owner, or just fan.

Trades? Line ups? Re-signing players? You name it.

Keenan that check on time.

Old
06-15-2004, 05:00 PM
Fletch

It's tough...

what ended up winning it for the Rangers was a combination of core players and strategic moves: moves whereby youth was sacrificed. Some may argue that the team would've still won had they kept certain players; others can argue that if certain moves weren't made the team would not have won even to this day. No one can argue that on June 14, 1994 the Rangers didn't win.

With that said, I think we've all learned that you cannot keep depleting youth for vets. It'll only work so often, and you need to be strategic about the vets in whom you acquire. Trading for a washed-up McSorley, Kurri and Churla for Norstrom (who, at 21 I believe, was just coming into his own), Lapperierre, a nice third/fourth line, young pest, and Ray Ferraro, who I think had more points than Kurri at that point. You can make youth-for-age trades if you have a deep stock of youth - and you better re-stock. You can acquire UFAs if there's a foundation and there's holes to fill.

And what it also comes down to is coaching. Since July 14, 1994, the Rangers have not had a competent coach. Neither GM wanted a coach who would stand up to him, and when Smith finally relented and went with Muckler, both lost their jobs.

So what would I have liked to have seen? Youth should've been re-stocked and given the benefit to play with some of the vets on the club. A competent coach should've been hired. And chasing UFAs for the sake of chasing UFAs should never have happened.

Old
06-15-2004, 05:02 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

On this date,OJ Simpson went for a ride in the Ford Bronco

Closed Thread