HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

OT: Montrealer planning a trip to Florida.

Old
08-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Stradale

vCash: 500
OT: Montrealer planning a trip to Florida.

Hi everyone,

I live in Montreal, Canada and planning for a trip in Florida by the end of this month (August). It is my first trip ever so i just want to be sure the weather is good at that time. I have planned to go to Cuba first but i heard it was the tornado/hurricane season (late august, early september) so i choose Florida instead. Since Florida is not that far from Cuba, do you often get tornado/hurricane late in August aswell? Im planning to stay in Orlando or if you have any suggestions, feel free to share Thank you guys in advance!

Last edited by Stradale: 08-04-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

You're coming during the height of hurricane season.

Watch the weather. You'll know whether it's safe or not.

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 11:16 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

You are confusing a tornado with a hurricane, it's hurricane season. It's something we have to deal with down here, but it's nothing that should dissuade you from making your trip. The chances you get caught in the path of a hurricane for the short time while you are down here are pretty slim.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 11:32 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Tornadoes are in hurricanes, but you'll know days in advance when one's coming. As Lola said, it's still the hurricane season then, it's the middle of it. Doesn't end til November.

It'll be hot and muggy, but there's plenty to do while you're here. All depends on what you're interested in. Plenty of theme parks, stores, malls, and other attractions.

08-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Tornadoes are in hurricanes, but you'll know days in advance when one's coming. As Lola said, it's still the hurricane season then, it's the middle of it. Doesn't end til November.

It'll be hot and muggy, but there's plenty to do while you're here. All depends on what you're interested in. Plenty of theme parks, stores, malls, and other attractions.
From my own experience on my last trip to Florida (which was a whopping 15 years ago now) - plenty of air conditioning indoors. Make sure if you go outside you have sunscreen (I didn't - ouch! One of the worst sunburns of my life - it was on my nose just to make it worse).

08-05-2008, 09:42 AM
VAiN*
Infractions are bad.

If this is your first trip ever to Florida I have to recommend going to the one of the coasts. Orlando is in the middle of the state and gets unbelievably hot and humid because there is no sea breeze. it's also a very generic town that is dominated by Mickey Mouse and that sort of thing. There's not much to do in Orlando other then the parks.

If you hit the East coast you can checkout Daytona, Sebastian, The Palm Beaches, Fort Lauderdale and Miami beach. The West coast has nicer white sand beaches. Naples is a nice place to go and relax, but doesn't really have a night life. Tampa is a cool town and has a thriving night life. If you really want to have a good time, fly into Miami, get a rental and drive about 2-3 hours directly South to Key West. Awesome night life and a really cool spot to visit. It's island living with all the amenities of the greatest country in the world - you won't get that in Cuba.

Hope this helps...

VAiN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 10:48 AM
FinallyWeissIsGone
Formerly Akgoalie7

Send a message via AIM to FinallyWeissIsGone
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
If you really want to have a good time, fly into Miami, get a rental and drive about 2-3 hours directly South to Key West. Awesome night life and a really cool spot to visit. It's island living with all the amenities of the greatest country in the world - you won't get that in Cuba.

Hope this helps...

REally? I'm not even Cuban and don't appreciate your comment.......
I've heard about some of the "american allowed" resorts in Cuba and heard they are AMAZING places with great services and beaches that put anything in Florida to shame!!!!

As far as Key West is concerned, There's one or two crappy beaches ...other than that, the town is just good for bar hopping. it's cool to say you've been, but not much to do in key West.

I'd stick to mainland beaches if that's what you want.

FinallyWeissIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
If this is your first trip ever to Florida I have to recommend going to the one of the coasts. Orlando is in the middle of the state and gets unbelievably hot and humid because there is no sea breeze. it's also a very generic town that is dominated by Mickey Mouse and that sort of thing. There's not much to do in Orlando other then the parks.

If you hit the East coast you can checkout Daytona, Sebastian, The Palm Beaches, Fort Lauderdale and Miami beach. The West coast has nicer white sand beaches. Naples is a nice place to go and relax, but doesn't really have a night life. Tampa is a cool town and has a thriving night life. If you really want to have a good time, fly into Miami, get a rental and drive about 2-3 hours directly South to Key West. Awesome night life and a really cool spot to visit. It's island living with all the amenities of the greatest country in the world - you won't get that in Cuba.

Hope this helps...
Actually, Cuba's a beautiful island and plenty of people have gone and loved it. Problem with it is that it's been communist for the last 50 years. Hemmingway used to love going there.

There's also a ton to do in Orlando outside of the parks. Plenty go-cart tracks, there's a Titanic museum here, helicopter rides everywhere, ghost walks, airboat rides at the headwaters of the Everglades, some of the hotels (like the Gaylord Palms) are fun to walk through, there are springs to swin in and walk through, Lou Gardens (Chinese gradnes), mini-golf, and beautiful golf courses.

There's more as well. Perhaps that doesn't interest some, but Orlando's a great place to live and visit. If you have time, I agree, you need to get to the beaches. NASA is also fun to visit, especially if there's a launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akgoalie7-sisu View Post
I've heard about some of the "american allowed" resorts in Cuba and heard they are AMAZING places with great services and beaches that put anything in Florida to shame!!!!

As far as Key West is concerned, There's one or two crappy beaches ...other than that, the town is just good for bar hopping. it's cool to say you've been, but not much to do in key West.

There's more to Key West than bar hopping, too. I don't drink, have never been drunk, and went there all the time as a kid. A lot of resturaunts and shops, nice beaches, places to snorkle and dive, and there's lots to see. I love history and enjoy going to Mel Fisher's museum (full of the treasures he found from the Atocia(sp)), there's Hemingway's house, and plenty of other places.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 01:21 PM
jol

Quote:
There's more to Key West than bar hopping, too. I don't drink, have never been drunk, and went there all the time as a kid. A lot of resturaunts and shops, nice beaches, places to snorkle and dive, and there's lots to see. I love history and enjoy going to Mel Fisher's museum (full of the treasures he found from the Atocia(sp)), there's Hemingway's house, and plenty of other places.
Yes, once we went to visit Dry Tortugas National Park, it's about 2-3 hour boat trip from Key West, so practically it's a full day trip. You can snorkel there, visit old Fort Jefferson, civil war era fortress. You can also fly there.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 02:57 PM
VAiN*
Infractions are bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akgoalie7-sisu View Post

Wow... touchy touchy on Cuba... get over it. The 'american allowed' resorts are NOTHING like Cuba. Try going out of the tourist area. I'm just making a valid point that you have access to things on our island that you don't have on theirs. We also have freedom of speech here.

And to the 'there's nothing to do in key west' comment - have you been?? 2 crappy beaches?? Who said anything about beaches in KW? You may not get it.

Last edited by VAiN*: 08-05-2008 at 03:05 PM.
VAiN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
Don't forget the awesome deep sea fishing!

I love Key West. I love the history, the architecture, the little shops....it's a fabulous place to visit.

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 06:53 PM
FinallyWeissIsGone
Formerly Akgoalie7

Send a message via AIM to FinallyWeissIsGone
Quote:
Wow... touchy touchy on Cuba... get over it. The 'american allowed' resorts are NOTHING like Cuba. Try going out of the tourist area. I'm just making a valid point that you have access to things on our island that you don't have on theirs. We also have freedom of speech here.

And to the 'there's nothing to do in key west' comment - have you been?? 2 crappy beaches?? Who said anything about beaches in KW? You may not get it.

Yes i've been.. I'm probably the closest member here to the keys. I live in Homestead... born and raised in Florida City (28 years).. You know, the last city at the end of the T-Pike....

So yes, I have been a gazillion times thank you very much.

Oh, i forgot about Fantasy Fest, but that involves more bar hopping!!!!!!!!!!!

FinallyWeissIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 06:43 AM
Acadmus

Cuba isn't the topic of this thread - it was only referenced in terms of comparable hurricane risk. And please refrain from trashing any area of Florida as arguing over the merits or detriments of any spot is going to take the thread off topic. Please limit comments to answering the OP's question.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote