HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Update on Jagr and Cherepanov/Cherepanov Interview

Old
08-06-2008, 08:52 AM
BlueHavok

vCash: 500
Update on Jagr and Cherepanov/Cherepanov Interview

According to BlueShirt Bulletin...................

http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...shirtbulletin/

We're not going to cover every move Jaromir Jagr and Alexei Cherepanov make in Omsk, but their season debut together was memorable enough to note -- although they didn't play on the same line (Jagr is playing on an all-Czech line with Jakub Klepis and Pavel Rosa), Cherepanov netted a hat trick and Jagr assisted on two other Avangard goals in a 6-3 win over a Slovakian team in an exhibition match. See the Avangard web site for a photo of a happy Cherepanov and click on the link under the photo to see the box score.

Nice. Mentor him well Jags. Can't wait to get this guy over here to see what he can do.

BlueHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Blazephr

Cherry interview

http://www.beyondtheblueshirts.com/2...es-cherepanov/

Yes, sometimes I ask him about the NHL. Jaromir knows that I have been invited there, and once said: “You want to play in the NHL - train more.” After these words I began to work even harder. By the way, after each practice Jaromir works extra with me: shows me all kinds of techniques, teaches me how to shoot, tells me how and on what I still need to work. In a way he is one of my coaches.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 09:16 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post

- My contract with Avangard still runs for one year, so I did not think at all about a departure. And then when I learned that my idol would play in Omsk, I generally forgot about the NHL for awhile.
what if Jagr stayed, maybe Cherry would have came over this summer??? anyone thinks that could have happened?

Last edited by Melrose_Jr.: 08-06-2008 at 01:50 PM. Reason: re-post of copyrighted material
BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Nice to see Jagr is pimping the level of play in the NHL.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 09:19 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubinskyNYR17 View Post
what if Jagr stayed, maybe Cherry would have came over this summer??? anyone thinks that could have happened?
No, I think the emphasis is on "My contract with Avangard still runs for one year, so I did not think at all about a departure."

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Levitate

Sounds good. For all the talk of the guy having attitude problems, he seems like he's fine. Hard to say if Jagr being there will make him stay another year or so, though

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 09:22 AM
Levitate

Quote:
No. People need to stop with that

Old
08-06-2008, 09:27 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
What do the two have to do with each other?

08-06-2008, 09:34 AM
squishy

Quote:
No, Cherepanov was still under contract with Omsk. He said well before Jagr was signed there that he would finish his contract there.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:31 AM
bogans

Quote:
My concern in the exact opposite. With Jagr playing in Omsk and more and more NHLers going to play in the KHL, I am hoping Cherry does not have a change of heart and still plans on coming to play in North America.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Choice

This is cool. Would have been awesome to see those guys playing together with the Rangers as opposed to Omsk.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
No, Cherepanov was still under contract with Omsk. He said well before Jagr was signed there that he would finish his contract there.
I think their is a good chance he stays another year or two after this in Omsk. If he has a good season Cherepanov can play at home for more money, why would he walkd away from that?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I think their is a good chance he stays another year or two after this in Omsk. If he has a good season Cherepanov can play at home for more money, why would he walkd away from that?
Because some players still really want to play in the NHL? There are some from overseas that still do dream about playing in the NHL and they idolize NHLers...it's not always about money.

Old
08-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Because some players still really want to play in the NHL? There are some from overseas that still do dream about playing in the NHL and they idolize NHLers...it's not always about money.
I hope i'm wrong but I think that's wishful thinking..

Cherepanov can make more money and play at home...instead of moving to another country, having no guarantee he is going to make the nhl roster (which means he'd make about $70k in hartford) and making less money in the nhl...probably much less money...

some guys don't idolize nhl players...some guys think winning a gold medel is more important then a stanley cup...

i'm not sure what indication you have that makes you think cherepanov is coming over next season...

it's not always about money but it's naive to think it doesn't play a part in things...

Old
08-06-2008, 12:55 PM
bogans

Quote:
Its true some players do still really want to play in the NHL and it's not always about money, but if they were to offer him a LOT more money than the Rangers did, I wouldn't be surprised if he were to stay. It worries me a great deal, but the fact that we are building a core of young, Russian players within the organization should hopefully help attract him here. Holding onto Zherdev after a hopefully successful season in NYC, letting Ani get a taste this season and hopefully carve out a spot for next season, getting Grachev developing well for a North American game, might go a long way to attracting him. That's my hope. I am also hoping Jagr helps to push him over here, because as much as Jagr did leave to go back closer to home and for more money/years, I do know he loved NYC and loved the Rangers. So hopefully he mentors the kid for one year and pushes him to take his game to North America. But I am worried with the KHL gaining more popularity.

Old
08-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Levitate

It might, it might not. I don't know, when it comes to Cherepanov, but I think it's getting way ahead of ourselves to start declaring it unlikely that he'll come over because he'll make money, etc etc.

****, Malkin could probably have ended up making a ton more money, but he defected. Same with Ovechkin, etc etc. These guys know that Russian owners would throw money at them if they really wanted to go back and play there, but they stay in the NHL.

Who knows if Cherepanov is the same, but at the very least I think he's shown interest in the NHL, so we'll see what he does after this year. I mean, he's going to Jagr and talking to him about what it takes to play in the NHL, so I'd guess he's at least thinking about it. So we'll see if he's ready to give it a go or not in a year

Old
08-06-2008, 01:22 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
He was drafted by the Rangers. He said he would come at the end of his current Omsk contract that ends after this year. I believe him. End of story. You people love turmoil and conspiracy theories and all things negative towards the Rangers. Especially you Son of Steinbrenner.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayStorm View Post
He was drafted by the Rangers. He said he would come at the end of his current Omsk contract that ends after this year. I believe him. End of story. You people love turmoil and conspiracy theories and all things negative towards the Rangers. Especially you Son of Steinbrenner.
turmoil and conspiracy theories?

Cherepanov has talked out of both sides of his mouth about coming over to the Rangers....

Also, the KHL wasn't a legit league when Cherepanov was drafted....The team he plays for just gave Jagr a ton of money to come over to the KHL...Why wouldn't they offer Cherepanov more then the $800k the Rangers can offer him?

i don't love all things negative towards the rangers but i'm not going to sit back and just agree with everything and everybody when i don't agree with everthing and everybody..

you wanna think cherepanov is coming over..be my guest....i hope your right....my opinion means nothing anyway, but in august speculating about things like this is part of the fun of posting...

Old
08-06-2008, 01:37 PM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayStorm View Post
I don't think this is a conspiracy theory at all. He also said at the draft he was more excited to play with Jags than anything, it was one of the big things pulling him towards the Rangers and making him excited he was drafted here. Do you remember that?? Well, I still hold out hope that he just wants to prove himself in North America and will do so after his contract runs out, but it is difficult not to look at two and two and add up to four.

Old
08-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
It might, it might not. I don't know, when it comes to Cherepanov, but I think it's getting way ahead of ourselves to start declaring it unlikely that he'll come over because he'll make money, etc etc.

****, Malkin could probably have ended up making a ton more money, but he defected. Same with Ovechkin, etc etc. These guys know that Russian owners would throw money at them if they really wanted to go back and play there, but they stay in the NHL.

Who knows if Cherepanov is the same, but at the very least I think he's shown interest in the NHL, so we'll see what he does after this year. I mean, he's going to Jagr and talking to him about what it takes to play in the NHL, so I'd guess he's at least thinking about it. So we'll see if he's ready to give it a go or not in a year
Showing interest in the NHL and actually coming over are two different things. I'm not the first person nor will i be the last to question whether Cherepanov is serious about coming to the Rangers after this coming season...In the end money and comfort will dictate where he wants to play....right?

Old
08-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Also, the KHL wasn't a legit league when Cherepanov was drafted
The RSL definitely was a legit league, and his team easily had the resources back then to pay him a ton of money if they wanted to.

Old
08-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
The RSL definitely was a legit league, and his team easily had the resources back then to pay him a ton of money if they wanted to.
no actually they didn't have as much money nor where they bidding for malkin in 2006..

Old
08-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Levitate

The people backing the KHL are the same people who had all the money in the RSL

Old
08-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
The people backing the KHL are the same people who had all the money in the RSL
not all of them...also...oil was not trading over $100.00 when Malkin was playing in Russia...that's where most of the money is coming from...

eitherway...i hope your right...i hope cherenpanov wants to play half way across the world, learn another language, make perhaps millions less...etc.....

i mean what fool wouldn't want to do that???

Old
08-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Showing interest in the NHL and actually coming over are two different things. I'm not the first person nor will i be the last to question whether Cherepanov is serious about coming to the Rangers after this coming season...In the end money and comfort will dictate where he wants to play....right?
Well, its more than that though, Money, the ability to play at home, the ability to play in new york, pride, following through and following the greatest russian hockey players in the world to the NHL (kovlachuk, AO Malkin, etc), proving the NHL teams that passed on you wrong, the influence Jagr has in him going, what his family thinks, etc.

Playing in New York VS Playing in Siberia is a no brainer to me, but to him, who knows. I personally think he will come, but i dont think its as set in stone as i did just 2 years ago. Right now id say its more like 75-25 of him coming here based on what he's said, and how he has honored his contract with Omsk. But we shall see.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote