HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

High Shots

Old
07-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Fatpride

vCash: 500
High Shots

so ive been practicing with a longer stick and working on my slapshot with some friends but it seems to always go an inch or two over the net. i tried with a shorter stick but same thing. tried closing my stick blade more to the ice and again, same thing, could the curve of my stick have something to do with it? im using an easton 333 sakic and a nike baurer nasulnd. the naslund one is lower than the sakic about 30% of the time, so i was wondering if i got a blade with a closed toe and curve if it would help keep my shots down.

Fatpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 03:40 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Follow through with your blade lower to the ice. Turn your wrist over after hitting the puck so that the forehand face of your blade is facing the ice.

Closing your blade to the ice during the shot itself isn't enough.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 03:43 PM
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart

Point the stick where you want the puck to go, your probably following up to high, or get like an iginla curve.

The Lollipop King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 01:08 AM
We'reGonnaWin*

Are you a left-handed shot? Let's try getting you shooting with a right-handed Drury.

Old
07-21-2008, 01:46 PM
ShowmeHawks

Good suggestions above. To use a golf term, the "loft" of the blade might also be causing your shots to go too high. To further explain "Loft," it is the degree of the angle of the blade/club when held in the ready position. For golf think of the angle difference between a driver and a 9-iron.

Either way, thanks for trying to keep you shot low. I'm one of those forwards that stand in front of the net. I don't know how many times a pointman has almost taken off my head with a blast.

ShowmeHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 07:35 PM
32leaguer

I'm using a similarly open faced curve (Nash) and finding that my wrist/snap shots tend to go too high, or, at least, that I really need to focus mentally on keeping them down, especially if I bend my knees deeply to get more power and weight transfer. They just seem to launch.

When folks say "follow through low", how close to the ice is the stick actually staying? Like, say, only one foot off the ice (I know it would vary, but....)? I ask because trying to keep my stick that close to the ice on a follow-through seems to "choke off" the "swing" somewhat - in that my natural inclination is to follow-through with the stick swinging forward more in an arc, like the arc that you take with a slapshot (i.e., higher). By keeping the stick closer to the ice, it seems like it foreshortens the follow-through - but maybe that's the feeling I need to be aiming for. So, is it really a matter of keeping the stick that close to the ice? I should try a more closed curve and see what happens, I suppose!

32leaguer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 10:04 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Using a closed curve itself won't keep your shot down if you followthrough like a golfer. I've used Bourque curves and had no problems hitting crossbar from 10 feet.

If you feel like it chokes off your swing, imagine that you're trying to followthrough "forward" with your stick. Not so much "low". The height of your follow though should roughly correspond to how high you want the shot to end up. YMMV.

Old
07-24-2008, 09:13 AM
ShowmeHawks

I'd say to try and keep the stick about knee high for low shots and waste high for higher shots. At least that is the "rule of thumb" that I use when shooting.

ShowmeHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 01:54 PM
noobman

On your follow through, point the tip of your blade downward.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 06:31 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatpride View Post
so ive been practicing with a longer stick and working on my slapshot with some friends but it seems to always go an inch or two over the net. i tried with a shorter stick but same thing. tried closing my stick blade more to the ice and again, same thing, could the curve of my stick have something to do with it? im using an easton 333 sakic and a nike baurer nasulnd. the naslund one is lower than the sakic about 30% of the time, so i was wondering if i got a blade with a closed toe and curve if it would help keep my shots down.
It's all good! Here, read this post that I did a while back...
Go here: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=505775

Then go to my post..."Head coach"

Hope this helps...or not!
Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 03:20 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
It's all good! Here, read this post that I did a while back...
Go here: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=505775

Then go to my post..."Head coach"

Hope this helps...or not!
Head coach
Great tips, coach.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Rem
PbP is what I spit

I have the opposite issue, I can't get my slapper higher than 2 feet most of the time

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_i_movemenT View Post
I have the opposite issue, I can't get my slapper higher than 2 feet most of the time
Try adjusting the placement of the puck just a little bit away from you and see if that makes a difference.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Rem
PbP is what I spit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Try adjusting the placement of the puck just a little bit away from you and see if that makes a difference.

Head coach
Will do, thanks HC!

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 12:57 AM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_i_movemenT View Post
You know what most of the time that's a good a thing, if your a Dman I'd recommend you not even change it.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

A bit late to the party, but I have been working through a similar problem.

Great Resource Here

Here's what really helped me from that article:

- Gloves about shoulder width apart
- Stand at 90 degree angle to target
- Sweep puck across body while transferring weight
- Release puck with blade facing down and bottom hand pointing towards the target

As you get better and stronger, you'll be able to incorporate stick flex and really push out explosive wrist shots with your bottom hand. I like to think of the bottom hand pointing towards the target rather than the blade because it helps me, but you can try both ways. To shoot low, I tend to exaggerate a low shot as I shoot high by default. With practice, you can take the wrist shot from any angle, but I found this angle helped to develop the basic technique.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote