HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Option c..or d...or z

Old
08-02-2008, 11:10 AM
echlfreak

vCash: 500
Ok lets get back to the topic of the thread. As per the article in the newspaper, they are looking at possible free agents as well as players on teams that are above the cap. The teams are Det, SJ, Chi, TB, NJ, PHI, WASH, CAL, ANA, PITT.

So lets take a look at players who could be available via trade or waivers from those teams.

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
Bonk was -31 what is your comeback to that Worstfaceoffmanuver??? Is that a TOP defensive forward? -10 I can understand but -31 wow!!! That is with his 14 goals that he got plus' for, which means he was on the ice for at LEAST 45 goals against minimum...add the totals of his line mates and you are close to 60 goals against that he was on the ice for

Worstfaceoffmanuver, I have looked at your comments for weeks now and you are the eternal optimist that our young kids are going to be studs, that Bonk is a great def fwd, among other totally off base comments. And, I have come to realize that you have no clue about hockey. But, it is fun to listen to your stuff.
1. Bonk was a career cumulative +21 over 12 seasons prior to last season.

2. 6 of those 14 goals Bonk scored were PP goals...the kind that you don't get a + for. Ditto for his linemates goals.

3. Telling another fan they have no clue about hockey is a pretty bold statement. Its best to have your facts straight and at least understand the statistics you are using to make that argument, before doing so.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
Ok lets get back to the topic of the thread. As per the article in the newspaper, they are looking at possible free agents as well as players on teams that are above the cap. The teams are Det, SJ, Chi, TB, NJ, PHI, WASH, CAL, ANA, PITT.

So lets take a look at players who could be available via trade or waivers from those teams.
This would be an excellent idea for a separate thread. I may make it later today .

08-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

If Trotz thinks the team can win with the players we've got on our roster right now ... I'll just dub him houdini, because I don't see this team getting 82 points, let alone 83, let alone qualifying for the playoffs

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
If Trotz thinks the team can win with the players we've got on our roster right now ... I'll just dub him houdini, because I don't see this team getting 82 points, let alone 83, let alone qualifying for the playoffs
It's a case of a coach doing his job...putting his best foot forward and accenuating the positives while trying to solve the negative aspects of his team without drawing attention to them.

Trotz is at the mercy of Poile and the members of the NHLPA as to who he has to work with. If this is the roster he has entering the season, he will devise a plan to get the best out of them. If he gets a new player at some point prior to the season or if someone really impresses him during training camp he will make minimial changes to the team philosophy, but will most likely reorganize his priorities off an area that the addition helps improve and spread them amongst the other weaknesses that still exist.

What do you want the team to say? Do you want them projecting a negative vibe heading into the season? If so, they are going to disappoint you...no one wants to mentally defeat themselves before the first puck even drops. The game is played on the ice, not on paper or anywhere else for that matter...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

If this is the roster going forward, the Predators can still eke out a low 90s point total, but a lot is going to have to work in the Predators favor, opportunities must be capitalized on, and they are going to have to become a much better team defensively, which with the players they have and the learning curve most are in is entirely feasible.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
It's a case of a coach doing his job...putting his best foot forward and accenuating the positives while trying to solve the negative aspects of his team without drawing attention to them.

Trotz is at the mercy of Poile and the members of the NHLPA as to who he has to work with. If this is the roster he has entering the season, he will devise a plan to get the best out of them. If he gets a new player at some point prior to the season or if someone really impresses him during training camp he will make minimial changes to the team philosophy, but will most likely reorganize his priorities off an area that the addition helps improve and spread them amongst the other weaknesses that still exist.

What do you want the team to say? Do you want them projecting a negative vibe heading into the season? If so, they are going to disappoint you...no one wants to mentally defeat themselves before the first puck even drops. The game is played on the ice, not on paper or anywhere else for that matter...
I want the coach to call a spade a spade ... truth ... we have 3-4 average to above average Top 6 forwards (Arnott, Dumont, Legwand & Erat *on some nights, on other nights he likes looking at his reflection too much*) Radulov is gone, so that is one less top 6 forward at Trotz' disposal, Hornqvist is a KID, as is Pihlstrom & Jones... and Bonk, Fiddler, and co just plain blow in a top 6 capacity

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 01:13 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
I want the coach to call a spade a spade ... truth ... we have 3-4 average to above average Top 6 forwards (Arnott, Dumont, Legwand & Erat *on some nights, on other nights he likes looking at his reflection too much*) Radulov is gone, so that is one less top 6 forward at Trotz' disposal, Hornqvist is a KID, as is Pihlstrom & Jones... and Bonk, Fiddler, and co just plain blow in a top 6 capacity
OK, so as a coach...if you don't have a lot of high end talent, then you look to create balance in your lineup. Multiple sources of goals, both the creation of goals for and also the minimization of goals against.

One of Scotty Bowman's chief offensive philosophies is that for every 10 shots taken on net, 5 additional shots off of rebounds are created. Therefore, the goal is to not only create shots, but also get your players to buy into going to the net hard and getting after those rebounds.

There are a ton of ways that goals are scored. Skill plays a minimal role in overall goal totals if it is not paired with a strong work ethic. We have plenty of work ethic and probably an average skill level across the lineup. That means that we need to instill a system of play that everyone buys into and that will allow each line an opportunity to score each night to maximize our goal total.

Old
08-05-2008, 07:46 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Not that I don't agree but Hornqvist and Radulov are only a couple months different in age. Hornqvist has also been playing in SEL for 3 years, which is probably the 2nd best league in the world.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 04:54 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Round and round and round we go.

Didn't we have this same conversation about Hornqvist's age and experience at least once?

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
Round and round and round we go.

Didn't we have this same conversation about Hornqvist's age and experience at least once?
Yes, but he is at least a day older now...so the parameters have changed!

Old
08-05-2008, 06:08 PM
nine_inch_fang

Quote:
Yes, but he is at least a day older now...so the parameters have changed!

Well I couldn't post just the smiley but I don't really think anything else needed to be said.

Old
08-05-2008, 06:31 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

You guys think I read everything you type?

Old
08-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

how different is the SEL compared to the NHL? Rink size? Style of play? I just hope his success translates here in North America.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 07:52 PM
nine_inch_fang

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
You guys think I read everything you type?
Nobody reads what I write. [/drama]

Old
08-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Seth Lake

Hlavac to play in Sweden

Jan Hlavac has decided to play in Sweden this season...

Quote:
The agent for forward Jan Hlavac has told the team Hlavac will be signing with a team in the Swedish elite league.

The Predators had considered trying to re-sign Hlavac after an impressive showing with the team last season. He notched 13 points (three goals, 10 assists) in 18 games for Nashville after he was acquired from Tampa Bay at the trade deadline.
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....49/1002/SPORTS

Old
08-06-2008, 01:27 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Jan Hlavac has decided to play in Sweden this season...

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....49/1002/SPORTS
So is there a letter after Z for an Option?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 01:58 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
get to work, Trader Dave

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 02:47 PM
predhead1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
So is there a letter after Z for an Option?
No, only a number (in the lottery)

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 03:56 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Give me a phone call when the team hits the ice.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 06:48 PM
echlfreak

Why would DP not just give Jan Hlavac a one year deal or even a two year deal at $1M per year?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????

He was on the first pp, the first line, and the PK....and they expected him to sign a contract that a plug would sign. He already had chemistry and even if Hornqvist or Jones played the top two lines, he would have still given us DEPTH for those scoring lines.

Bonk is going to play third or fourth line making 1.6M and they couldn't justify signing a first line player for $1M.......wow

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 06:51 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

How do you know Hlavac would have signed for a million? It's not like Poile passed on Crosby.

Old
08-06-2008, 06:53 PM
nine_inch_fang

Quote:
How do you know Hlavac would have signed for a million? It's not like Poile passed on Crosby.
He said so.

One thing to add though is that in that same article Poile is talking about weighing experience for youth and signing vets. It looks like he is trying to do with the forwards now what he did with the D over the last few years.

Old
08-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Agreed, you have to consider that both parties must agree to a contract. Poile could offer a decent salary for a year, but I assume that when Hlavac signs in the SEL that it will be a multi-year deal with maybe an out clause if he decides to return to the NHL.

The Predators I'm assuming are only offering one year deals to Parrish, Murray, and Hlavac right now as a stop gap solution. For Parrish, and Murray a one-year deal at a reasonable salary (remember both are getting payment from their buyouts too) for this season is what they probably want to give them the opportunity to have a big year and get better contract next summer. For Hlavac, this is not as enticing because it provides him with no security and means he will most likely wind up moving his family again next summer. Europe is a much more attractive option to Hlavac because of that.

Hlavac was probably one of the best deadline acquistions in the league last season. He did a great job bolstering our lineup down the stretch and into the playoffs at both ends of the rink and on special teams. Unfortunately, he is not in our long term plans and decided to pursue another opportunity.

Our other option, Martin Gelinas, will only sign a one-year deal for the rest of his career because at his age he can receive performance based incentives when signing a one-year deal.

Old
08-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
OK, so Poile didn't believe that Hlavac was worth $1 million in salary...can't necessarily blame him since Jan has been a streaky player and struggled all season in Tampa before being traded at the deadline. Not going to rip him here, but will definitely store that away for future analysis.

Quote:
One thing to add though is that in that same article Poile is talking about weighing experience for youth and signing vets. It looks like he is trying to do with the forwards now what he did with the D over the last few years.
If you look at the talent coming through our pipeline, I'm not surprised at this relevation. Personally, I think that Jones should start in Milwaukee playing on a top-six role unless he totally blows away everyone at training camp and demands a top-six role in Nashville to start the season.

Hornqvist will be in the top-six, that is a given. He looked to have some chemistry on a line with Legwand and Erat last year during training camp and I would expect them to open camp with that same line to see if they click coming right out of the gates.

Pihlstrom is a unique player. He skates, hits, and shoots much like Tootoo, but appears to have better offensive skill and most importantly a better nose for the net. I suspect he will be a third-line player to start the season and be looked upon as a player to fill a top-six role short-term in the event of an injury, but again...he might surprise and take that remaining winger slot on the top two lines right out of camp if he comes prepared.

I can't fault Poile for waiting on the IIHF decision. There are still a couple of pieces out there and they are very limited in their opportunities. Sundin and Sakic still haven't made up their minds on their plans for next season and that is truly holding everyone hostage. The last thing anyone (Vancouver, Montreal, Colorado, NYR, etc) want to do is grab a Murray or Parrish right now for a top-six role only to find out that they have no space for them come the start of the season. In our case, there remains a very slim (I don't believe it'll happen) chance that Radulov is forced to honor his remaining year in Nashville. If that happens, I suspect he will never suit up for the Predators again, but would be immediately traded instead for a top-six forward, thereby again eliminating the spot for Murray or Parrish.

I'm going to say that no one should panic until we get a decision from Sundin. The market right now is in limbo waiting on him in large part.