HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Higgins Expendable?

Old
08-06-2008, 09:31 PM
canucks19

vCash: 500
Is Higgins Expendable?

The Canadiens have a solid top six with Kovalev, Koivu, A.Kostitsyn, S.Kostitsyn, Plekanec, and now Tanguay. So with more than capable bottom six players such as Latendresse, Lapierre, Begin, Chipchura and now Laraque do you think he should be moved to bring in a defenseman.

As a canucks fan I propose this deal.

To MTL:
Kevin Bieksa

To VAN:
Chris Higgins

Bieksa would bring an Offense that the habs lost after Streit an would bring lots of toughness.

canucks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Stewart JH Esq MBE

Yes, although he's a lot more valuable to us than he is to other teams.

Stewart JH Esq MBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 09:34 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks19 View Post
The Canadiens have a solid top six with Kovalev, Koivu, A.Kostitsyn, S.Kostitsyn, Plekanec, and now Tanguay. So with more than capable bottom six players such as Latendresse, Lapierre, Begin, Chipchura and now Laraque do you think he should be moved to bring in a defenseman.

To MTL:
Kevin Bieksa

To VAN:
Chris Higgins

Bieksa would bring an Offense that the habs lost after Streit an would bring lots of toughness.
Bieksa >>>>> Higgins

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 09:42 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
I wouldnt count SK as a bonafide top 6-er, but Higgins' versatility is an indenspensable asset so I say no

Old
08-06-2008, 09:45 PM
MonacoBlue

Absolutely no deal. Higgins is being groomed as Koivu's successor and is well-liked by virtually the entire organization (players and management). Honestly, I'd trade Tanguay before Higgins.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Beakermania*

No deal.... Bieksa had one good season... Too big a risk.

Add to that the fact we want to go with three offensive lines, + Bieksa is overpaid + with the defensive prospects we have in the pipeline, i think we are fine there and don't need Bieksa.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Spy
resU deretsigeR

No deal for me.

Most of us believe Higgins had an off year this season and still racked up 27g while having a very good 2-way play. He will be a force in the near future mark my words.

Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 09:56 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

I'd do this yesterday... We lack of young offensive D-Men in our system.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
I'd do this yesterday... We lack of young offensive D-Men in our system.
Carle, McDonagh, Subban, Weber, and Korneev all called to say Hi.

Old
08-06-2008, 10:04 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Has a nice fit on are third line but can be traded. Not for Bieksa though... no thanks

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:05 PM
axman88

Higgins reminds me alot like Mark Recchi...the way he plays and the type of leadership he brings to the team.

If we were to trade him now, we'd be doing the same stupid mistake that we did with Recchi.

So enough of the "let's trade higgins - he's expendable" thread. We need him and anything that we'd get in return would not be worth it - well unless it's JayBo.

axman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:06 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Nope, I like Higgins. He's good at passing and scoring and his wo-way ability and leadership are always nice. There's a handful of players i would give up higgins for, but in this deal, no deal, rather have higgins.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:07 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONACOBLUE View Post
Absolutely no deal. Higgins is being groomed as Koivu's successor and is well-liked by virtually the entire organization (players and management). Honestly, I'd trade Tanguay before Higgins.
The thing is, you're not the management of the Canadiens. The pro scouts have been trying like damn to get Tanguay for about 5-6 years. Now they got him. Remember what Gainey said last offseason (summer 2007)? That one of his goals was to get a couple of francophone 1st tier players. To get big francophone stars, we must get first a couple of good francophone players. This is important for the management, like it or not.

And honestly... you're not tired of applauding 50 pts players missing open nets and not having a lot of offensive talents? We've been doing this for 15 years now, and now that we just got a star player we should trade him? Come on! This is not serious.

And don't come and say "Tanguay is not a star player... only 58 pts last year... bla bla bla...". Hossa only got 69 pts last year and is still considered as a 100 pts scorer. Tanguay should still be considered as a 85 pts player. He would have got these numbers a couple of times already if it was not about his injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
We don't even know if Korneev will play in the NHL.

McDonagh is NOT an offensive defenseman... at least, not a Markov. He's some kind of Hamrlik.

Subban must learn to play D efficiently. I really start to wonder if the management will convert him into a forward.

Carle is an offensive defenseman, but is no bieksa.

Weber is a good one.

We don't have any Bieksa in our system, we have many players who can fill Higgins' shoes. That being said, Higgins brings quality depth to our lineup. Right now, maybe you're right when you say we should not make this trade now. But at the deadline, if Bieksa once again shows he's that good, and that Higgins is having a similar season to the last one, I'd do it right now, as we have very few defensemen who can play on the power play right now... and in the next couple of years.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 08-06-2008 at 10:43 PM.
HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Two simple words :

Hell no!!!!!!!!!!

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:22 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

McDonagh is NOT an offensive defenseman... at least, not a Markov. He's some kind of Hamrlik.

Subban must learn to play D efficiently. I really start to wonder if the management will convert him into a forward.

Weber is a good one.

We don't have any Bieksa in our system, we have many players who can fill Higgins' shoes. That being said, Higgins brings quality depth to our lineup. Right now, maybe you're right when you say we should not make this trade now. But at the deadline, if Bieksa once again shows he's that good, and that Higgins is having a similar season to the last one, I'd do it right now, as we have very few defensemen who can play on the power play right now... and in the next couple of years.
Wow... I wish I had your crystal ball...

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Templeton

HOT

Templeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:37 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Bieksa is too big a question mark. One good season and a horrible season long injury last year.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:39 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
chances of seeing Korneev play in the NHL are very slim... the other, well it's quite possible than none of them will be NHL ready once Bieska's contract ends.

McDonaugh still at the Uni.
Weber and Subban just finished Jr.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Erika

Is Higgins Expendable ? Of course !! Some people here are talking like if he was the second coming of Lafleur or something... ... The guy is barely a second liner with 40-50 points average per season... THE MOST OVERRATED PLAYER OF THE HABS I'VE SEEN IN THE PAST 10 YEARS !!!!! Future captain and 70-80 points producer ?!?! He is an average second liner and depth player, but that's about it !!

Is Bieksa a good return ? Yes and No.
Yes, because he is a good young right handed offensive defensemen with lots of grit and aggressiveness.
No, because we don't know if he can come back to the level of play from 2 years ago, so it's a little bit risky...

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
chances of seeing Korneev play in the NHL are very slim... the other, well it's quite possible than none of them will be NHL ready once Bieska's contract ends.

McDonaugh still at the Uni.
Weber and Subban just finished Jr.

With one good and one horrible season... the horrible season coming after the good one, its my opinion that Bieksa is only slightly more proven than those guys.

As for Korneev, you say very slim... I don't know when you became his agent, but many people have heard him say in Russia that his plan is one more season there and then he is coming over.

Also the post was a response to this quote "We don't have many offensive defencemen in the system." HTS made a blatant generalization and I felt the need to disprove it. We probably have one of the deepest defence prospect pools of anyone in the league right now.

I didn't even mention Valentenko, Yemelin, Fischer, Torp, Stejskal, Pateryn, or Belle in my first post.

Old
08-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
As for Korneev, you say very slim... I don't know when you became his agent, but many people have heard him say in Russia that his plan is one more season there and then he is coming over.

I didn't even mention Valentenko, Yemelin, Fischer, Torp, Stejskal, Pateryn, or Belle in my first post.
Korneyev's suppose to come over here to play in the AHL? He has an offensive touch, but isn't Emelin suppose to come over too?

Valentenko is a defensive defenseman, so is Pateryn and Belle.

We probably do have a top 3, if not the best depth at defense in the league.

I highly doubt Korneyev leaves Russia for the AHL, or he does and gets a spot on the team, which he doesn't deserve.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 11:27 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks19 View Post

To MTL:
Kevin Bieksa

To VAN:
Chris Higgins

Big pass from me.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 12:01 AM
emb24*

not a chance. as some have mentioned he is being groomed to succeed koivu. not only that but gainey is not an idiot. with possibly 3 of our top 6 potentially walking next year - koivu/tanguay/kovy...many of you would be fools to think gainey will gamble by dealing away higgins.

under these circumstances he is almost an untouchable.

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 12:14 AM
anarmandaleb

No, he isn't, especially not for Bieksa.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 12:14 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:

Weber is a good one.
Bieska is no-more than a Roman Hamrlik either, somewhat like McDonagh.

Subban's defensive game improved leaps and bounds this year.

Carle is just as offensive minded than Bieska, no doubt.

Korneev stated, as far as McGuire, that he wanted to play in the NHL after his contract is done. Whether that stays the same or not with the KHL, I'm not sure.

Weber is better offensive then anyone we've talked about, but his defensive game needs improvement.

Fischer's game improved leaps and bounds this year as well.

Valentenko isn't offensive minded, but he could definitely pot 30 pts a year in his prime.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote