HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How much "hockey time" do you get (per week)?

View Poll Results: How much active "hockey time" do you get per week?
none tonsil hockey with the "signif. other " is all the action I get) 0 0%
1hr flat... hey I'm married to angelina with 72 kids! 11 17.74%
2 to 3 23 37.10%
4+ 28 45.16%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-01-2008, 04:35 PM
the_speedster

vCash: 500
How much "hockey time" do you get (per week)?

I FINALLY get to have a real vacation! (I teach, but for some reason was sadomasochistic enough to volunteer to run our school's summer program). After recovering from a weight destroying energy sapping bout with thyroid cancer, I was almost fanatical about my desire to get back to (or improve on) my skating/playing ability... anyways.. today's the first day of my new "schedule" For the next month I should be clocking at least 10hrs a week of ice time (along with 6hrs of off ice workouts)!!! I know for those of you "up north" This is probably not much but dammit for us down here in texas it's alot!

The breakdown;

Sunday (one hour public skate, 1 and a half hours hockey practice- that evening)
Monday (off ice)
tuesday (off ice- morning) (skate for an hour or two, mid-day)
wednesday (one game and one scrimmage - back to back (I know, I'm nuts huh? )
thursday (off ice)
friday (two hours public skate)
saturday (2hrs (from 5am to 7am with a power skating coach )- league game in the evening)

Fingers crossed ( I don't meet some cute, non hockey playing girl or get pregnant , it should hold for the month. Sad huh? Most people would be thinking of running off to exotic locals for their vacation.. I'm thinking of ice time..

what about you guys? What's the average amount per week?

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 06:37 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Beer league game once a week... not enough!!

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
I do 12 hours a week.

2 on Monday
2 on Tuesday
2 on Thursday
2 on Friday
4 on Sat.

Ya, I know....crazy!

Head Coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Terror91
Lets Do It.

When I can't get to the rink, I strap on my rollerblade and head down the hill to this giant church parking lot. I skate probably close to 3 hours a day. Game day is the only day I just stretch. Any other day I get out and skate/stickhandle/etc.

Terror91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Rzeznik

I did 38 coaching this week. It's a lot different from the winter to the summer though. On average in the winter, I'll be on the ice between 9-11 hours a week, playing Major Midget here in Nova Scotia.

Rzeznik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 01:38 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
Beer league game once a week... not enough!!
Ditto!

I'll probably play league hockey again next year... so that's two hours a week

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 02:00 PM
mikeylikey

I was getting between 3 and 4...until I noticed my rink does not have any beginner pick up games scheduled for August. They have a ton of over age 35 games, high school, and regular adult pick up games. I don't think it's fair to those of us just starting out, because we are not ready to hang with the far advanced players. So now, i'm just down to my beginner weekly clinic.

mikeylikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 03:42 PM
FLYLine27
Zibby

Voted 2-3, but its probably 3-4. I play in 3 adult leagues so If i have 3 games one week then im on the ice for 4 and a half hours.

FLYLine27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 04:17 PM
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart

I'd say about 6 hours a week during the summer on average. I have one summer hockey game, and I play shinny during the week. One September hits upwards of 16 hours a week. It doesn't get any better.

The Lollipop King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 05:05 PM
frito

Define "Hockey Time". If it's time I'm actually playing hockey, heck I'm licky to play one game every few weeks. If it's all time, I get a ton in the season coching my kids. This year I'll coach one hose team and one travel team equalling three hours of practice per week. Figure one house game per weekend and two travel games per weekend and that's another three hours or so, not counting locker room chalk talks etc. Unfortunately, the caoching prevents me from actually playing during the season.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 08:47 PM
daveskirtun
:o)

In a good week I try to get around 14. Some weekends though, I'm out there all day.
I'm glad to hear you've recoverred from thyroid cancer, that's tough. Good luck

daveskirtun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 09:43 PM
lemieux32*

At this point being a college soccer coach with the nearest rink 45 miles away I only get to play from January through May. Summer league goes into the start of my coaching season and fall league starts during it as well. I may try to get on a team for the end of the fall league and playoffs. In general with work, family and training (I also do triathlons) I usually only get my game play, but I did build a full size goal this summer so I will be shooting a lot more!

lemieux32* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Chootoi

usually 2 (sometimes 3) league games per week, pickup on fridays, and i usually fill in for someone at least once a week. i get alot of calls from random teams. goalies are hard to find around here.

in all probably 5 or so hours a week. plus i play in a winter ball hockey league. another couple of hours there.

probably a whole lot less than that this season though. we're expecting twins come october, so i'll be cutting back on the playing time. not to mention playing 5-6 games a week in beer leagues full of goons who run you over and blast slap shots off your head from the hash-marks takes its toll over the season. come summertime i am usually wrecked. i usually play 1 or 2 summer tournaments but that's it.

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 09:57 AM
ean

not enough!

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 11:09 AM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
not enough!
I don't know what enough would be....

Anyway, 2-3 times a week, in 2 leagues but still not enough.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 02:33 PM
RobertKron

Not nearly enough. In the winter I'll be on the ice/at the rink a few hours a week coaching, and then I'll play some pick-up games every few weeks. I haven't been able to afford/have time/find a new group to play beer league in a few years, which really sucks.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Blueshirt24

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_speedster View Post
Sad huh? Most people would be thinking of running off to exotic locals for their vacation.. I'm thinking of ice time..

what about you guys? What's the average amount per week?
I think about lost ice time when I get caught in traffic... I'm always thinking about ice time. When I go on vacation, I bring my skates in case there's a rink nearby. As for ice time, my college team practices 2.5 hours, 4 days a week, so there's 10 hours. We have two games a week, so that makes 12. I play pick up hockey two days a week, 2 hours each day, so I'm at 16, and I try to hit the rink in the morning before my classes (or work in the summer) for an hour M-F, so that would make 21 if I get there each day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemps View Post
When I can't get to the rink, I strap on my rollerblade and head down the hill to this giant church parking lot. I skate probably close to 3 hours a day. Game day is the only day I just stretch. Any other day I get out and skate/stickhandle/etc.
I strap on my rollerblades and head up to campus where we converted 2 tennis courts (smooth pavement) into hockey rinks with lines painted and metal nets secured. I put up a strap in goalie, throw a few weighted balls out, grab my gloves and a wood stick and skate about 2 hours most days, especially on days I don't actually make it to the ice rink.

Blueshirt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 02:58 PM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Not nearly enough. In the winter I'll be on the ice/at the rink a few hours a week coaching, and then I'll play some pick-up games every few weeks. I haven't been able to afford/have time/find a new group to play beer league in a few years, which really sucks.
Dang, you sound like my twin.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 03:29 PM
BlackAces
Play Your Game

3-4 all the local rinks only do stick and pucks twice a week but next week i'll be at 14 hours

BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Devil Dancer

4+ on a good week.

Ice pickup: 3 hours over 2 sessions.
Roller pickup: 2-4 hours, depending on whether I play once or twice.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 09:32 PM
StaalForOne
Willsssssooooonnnnnn

Send a message via AIM to StaalForOne
5-7 good weeks, but mostly 2-4

StaalForOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 11:51 PM
greech

Send a message via AIM to greech
2-4 hours on ice in the summer.

In season, at least 16 hours. Gotta love HS hockey, it's an absolute steal. From November to March skate every day for $120.

greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 11:56 AM
the_speedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsyuk40 View Post
I think about lost ice time when I get caught in traffic... I'm always thinking about ice time. When I go on vacation, I bring my skates in case there's a rink nearby. As for ice time, my college team practices 2.5 hours, 4 days a week, so there's 10 hours. We have two games a week, so that makes 12. I play pick up hockey two days a week, 2 hours each day, so I'm at 16, and I try to hit the rink in the morning before my classes (or work in the summer) for an hour M-F, so that would make 21 if I get there each day.

I strap on my rollerblades and head up to campus where we converted 2 tennis courts (smooth pavement) into hockey rinks with lines painted and metal nets secured. I put up a strap in goalie, throw a few weighted balls out, grab my gloves and a wood stick and skate about 2 hours most days, especially on days I don't actually make it to the ice rink.

OMG I think you're my long lost twin brother! Too funny, I"m EACTLY the same way. My skates go every where with me. Haven't played roller hockey in years though but used to ALOT. Out here in texas the locals get pissed if you play roller hockey on their tennis courts (not like they're using em...when's the last time you heard of a famous TEXAN TENNIS PLAYER? )

I used to coach alot too but I just couldn't make the commitment for the upcoming season so I might be on the ice for an hour a two a week in an aiding capacity but won't head coach this year.

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 09:29 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

2 hour drop-in hockey sessions, 4 hours a week = 8 hours total. That doesn't include games for when the league starts up. Factor in about 1 hour because they play 3 periods of 20 minutes, no stop clock, that would make 9 hours a week on average.

As for the tonsil hockey choice, girlfriend's 4 hours away, which leaves plenty of time open outside of work for me to hit the rink.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:32 PM
pzilla3

3 hours tuesday, 2 hours wednesday, 4 on sat

pzilla3 is offline   Reply With Quote