HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is Higgins Expendable?

Old
08-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Zinger

vCash: 500
Higgins has scored at least 20 in each of his 3 seasons. Last year he potted 27, and earlier in the year he was pace for like 40.....if he can find a way to be consistent, he can score 30 a year no problem and he brings leadership and strong defensive play and he plays on the PK....Bieksa is awesome, but we already have Markov, Komisarek, Hamrlik and watch boys, O'Byrne will develop into a BEAST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks19 View Post
Bieksa would bring an Offense that the habs lost after Streit an would bring lots of toughness.
Dont worry about our offense lol We have Mr. Andrei Markov and Hamrlik aint so shabby on the pp....
i truly believe Streit was successful here on the PP because he was playing with the King of the PP Alexei Kovalev and Markov as well.....watch him be crappy with the Islanders....actually i guarantee it...

People are dying to get their hands on our forwards boys, whens the last time we heard that in an offseason lol

I miss my Habs so badly right now, the summer sucks anyways its always raining...cant wait till september when the training camps and the hockey stories start popping out again lol

GO HABS GO...

i have hockey withdrawals

Last edited by Zinger: 08-07-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Zinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 12:48 AM
Haddock

Having this many good young wingers is not a problem. Chris Higgins is the kind of player that wins you a Cup. I never want to see him leave Montréal, especially for a player who the 'Nucks fans and management overrate as much as Bieksa. If anything, we need another Higgins.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 12:48 AM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Most fans of other teams would consider Vancouver as being the loser in such a trade. Only here is Higgins rated higher than Bieksa. You'd have to be crazy not to make this move if it was on the table.

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 01:21 AM
Kachino

Send a message via MSN to Kachino
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
Most fans of other teams would consider Vancouver as being the loser in such a trade. Only here is Higgins rated higher than Bieksa. You'd have to be crazy not to make this move if it was on the table.
I guess I'm crazy...

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 01:29 AM
Hyperkookeez*

montreal fans seem to be undervaluing beiksa a bit

the value is fair in this

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 01:42 AM
Ryulink

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieman99 View Post
montreal fans seem to be undervaluing beiksa a bit

the value is fair in this
The value might be fair. But the real question is what we need more a 4th defenceman or Higgins

Ryulink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 06:19 AM
Habs _Fan

Higgins is a intense player who played with his heart and can score 25-30 goals, play on the PK and PP. Why people want to trade him? He his only 25 and already played like a leader. He scored 22,23 and 27 goals. With a little bit more consistancy, he will become a 35 goals scorer in the league. Higgins deserved more respect. I'm tired to see his name on trade proposal.

Higgins, Plekanec, Komisarek, Kostitsyn brothers and Price are the fondation of this team for the years to come.

Habs _Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 06:28 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Oh the weekly 'Let's get rid of Chris Higgins' thread. (and I know this thread wasn't started by a Habs fan)

Chris Higgins isn't going anywhere, nor should Gainey look to move him. He is part of the future of this team and I can't for the life of me understand why people don't want him here.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 06:45 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
Yes, let's create traffic in an area where we have tons of great prospects (McDonagh, Webber, Fischer, Carle, Valentenko, Emelin, etc.) when we won't be seeing another Higgins until we get to pick top 15, maybe top 10...

Sheesh, people love hating on Higgins. Some will be disappointed when he makes the second line in front of Latendresse and Sergeď Kostitsyn.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 06:48 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

I really do like Bieksa and think he would be a great fit for our D. But I'm not willing to give up Higgins for him.

08-07-2008, 06:58 AM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks19 View Post
The Canadiens have a solid top six with Kovalev, Koivu, A.Kostitsyn, S.Kostitsyn, Plekanec, and now Tanguay. So with more than capable bottom six players such as Latendresse, Lapierre, Begin, Chipchura and now Laraque do you think he should be moved to bring in a defenseman.

As a canucks fan I propose this deal.

To MTL:
Kevin Bieksa

To VAN:
Chris Higgins

Bieksa would bring an Offense that the habs lost after Streit an would bring lots of toughness.
**** NO! Jesus Bieksa... BEFORE the injury was TERRIBLE!! Atrocious. Bad. NOT GOOD. His play last season left several questions hanging. The Biggest one being... Is he jsut 1 half season of brilliance. Bieksa = NO!

How about, We keep Higgins, you sign Sundin! I don't care if he signs with you, I just do not want Bieksa! at all. Esp... when you consider he now makes about 3.75 million and is going to make resigning free agents all that much tougher.

Also, if we trade for Bieksa, No more money for sundin.

Boycott Bieksa!!

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 07:07 AM
Kikizaz

But to address the title of this post.

"depends"

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 07:14 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Isn't Kevin Bieksa coming off a career threatening injury? Besides, we need players like Higgins. He can play top 6 and be a good third liner.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 07:23 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Isn't Kevin Bieksa coming off a career threatening injury? Besides, we need players like Higgins. He can play top 6 and be a good third liner.
From what I've heard he's healed up and shouldn't have any long term effects from the injury.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 08:09 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Higgins is just to important and versatile and as such we need him more. So no thanks.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 08:13 AM
Licou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Is Higgins Expendable ? Of course !! Some people here are talking like if he was the second coming of Lafleur or something... ... The guy is barely a second liner with 40-50 points average per season... THE MOST OVERRATED PLAYER OF THE HABS I'VE SEEN IN THE PAST 10 YEARS !!!!! Future captain and 70-80 points producer ?!?! He is an average second liner and depth player, but that's about it !!
Are you for real?

Licou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 08:14 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
He's not 'expendable'. He's 'dealable' at the right return. I didn't read the proposal but Higgins won't be a top 6 player for us, he's going to return to his role of a 3rd line forward, who'll be a great two-way player with leadership. He's gonna pot 20-30 goals consistently on the third line and that's what I love about the guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licou View Post
Are you for real?
Don't quote her.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 08-07-2008 at 08:52 AM.
WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Higgins is part of the Habs core. He ain't going anywhere, unless it's a deal that blows BG's socks off.

Sure his lack of finish is maddening, but he's still improving his production year to year.

Guys like Higgins win you Cups.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 08:41 AM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
He's not 'expendable'. He's 'dealable' at the right return. I didn't read the proposal but Higgins won't be a top 6 player for us, he's going to return to his role of a 3rd line forward, who'll be a great two-way player with leadership. He's gonna pot 20-30 goals consistently on the third line and that's what I love about the guy.
What is weird about your post is, I think, 20-30 goal scorer is definately 2nd line production.... if he does that on the third we will kill this league... since our first will get 40-50 and our second 30-40....

I agree he is a good 2nd liner ar an elite 3rd liner... But if a guy like that becomes a 3rd liner, that is when he become expendable... he is definately in our top 6 now so I would say no, not at the moment

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Montreal Typical

Higgins definitely isn't untouchable. There is no real untouchable on this team, but the closest is Markov. Well, Price is likely pretty much untouchable given that his value, as an unproven goaltender, is probably not very high.

Anyway, I would have no problem with Higgins being traded, but I'm not sure I would like Higgins for Bieksa though. I guess it all depends on which Bieksa we got : the 2006-07 one or 2007-08 one?

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 08:57 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licou View Post
Are you for real?
I ask myself the same thing every time I read one of her(?) posts.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

It's always about who you get in return and not necessarily who you trade. Though if your team is full of shooters, the few great passers you have on your team are NOT expendable unless if you trade them, you get the same type of guys in return. Your team needs to be complementary.

But everybody can be traded. So I don't see why Higgins wouldn't be....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Marksman

Bieksa would be good return ... but I dont see Higgins as expendable.

Kostitsyn jr isnt proven, yet, Kovalev is 35 and Tanguay might be here just for this year.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 09:29 AM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Your posts beg the question. Are you capable of making or refuting a point without employing a straw man argument? Who suggested that Higgins was a future 70-80 point producer?

In terms of Higgin's value, I'll take a depth player that can play on the power play, PK and from the first line to the third line any day.

Incidentally, you can omit the superfluous "teach" smilie at the end of every post, you'd still be considered a condescending asshat without it.
Ashatette.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 09:36 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
Ashatette.

I beg to differ. According to the Oxford English Dictionary of Internet Slurs and Insults, asshat is a gender neutral term.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote