HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Visiting Fan's Guide to Philadelphia

Old
02-26-2008, 10:47 AM
tmux

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
Unfortunately, the other side. At least all the action will be down in your end.
Heh

Life long flyers fan never been close to philly got a steal of a deal on ebay almost too good to be true hopefully it will be a great time.

tmux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

One more tip, under no circumstances should you wear anything Cowboys or Giants to any type of event.

As far as clubs, Pure is sort of the trendy spot, Cuba Libre only has dancing on some nights (sometimes a live band, often a DJ, usually salsa), Fluid is mostly a hip-hop spot, a little younger crowd but good DJs (?uestlove is a regular). Loews also has their ballroom available sometimes, often hip-hop themes as well (Bobbito Garcia, ?uest, et al, sometimes Stevie Wonder parties that go crazy).

If you're staying downtown and don't feel like schlepping to South Philly for a cheesesteak, Tony Luke Jr's is on 18th just south of Chestnut. They have everything the main Tony Luke's has except veal, all the good cheesesteaks, breakfast stuff and Italian sandwiches.

Gentleman's club stuff, eh, not too familiar, I once went to some grimy spot in North Philly (I believe it's called "On Broad") ... I would not recommend it but for certain purposes it might be your best bet (I passed).

There are a ton of bars around 15th and 16th south of Walnut. Hit up the Belgian places for great beer and mussels. Monk's is kind of a standard.

The areas around Penn/Drexel (West Philly) and Temple (North Philly) are pretty beat for outsiders. Smokey Joe's near Penn is not bad for a college crowd, The Draught Horse and Max's are OK near Temple.

Don't take a ride from a gypsy cab, cmon, this isn't 1985.

05-20-2008, 07:39 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

I took a trip to see Chicago vs. Philly a couple of years ago (3-1 Flyers!).

We stayed at Ceasar's in AtlCity and took the train and subway to the game. It worked out nicely.

Oh, and we pre-drank at some hole in the wall tavern across from the train station.

Next time around I'll do some sight seeing.

CNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2008, 07:38 PM
ToursLepantoVienna

I'll be visiting the in-laws in Media, PA during draft weekend June 20, 21. Any advice on bars in the immediate area where I can watch the draft with fellow hockey fans? Any spots near Media to add to my 2008 hoagie-cheesesteak-pretzel tour?

Congratulations to the Flyers on a fantastic comeback year. Lots of positives for future seasons. The Coburn trade has to be the biggest steal since Joe Thornton.

ToursLepantoVienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 07:44 AM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

You might want to add
http://sports.espn.go.com/travel/cit...y=philadelphia
to the first page. Espn has new travel guides up for most cities with teams.

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Shil27

anyone know of any decent hotels in cherry hill or anything close to the practice facility? we stayed at the holiday inn in cherry hill last time, but might be a bit too pricey for us this go 'round since we're bringing the kids and need to get 2 sep. rooms....and can't get a deal on hotwire or priceline there this time

coming up for a week in december for the isles, canes, and pens games. also...might not actually go to the canes game...where is a decent place to go out and drink and watch the game...with people who are actually into the game? is there such a place? "dive" bars are cool too...just want to be around people who are watching the game...

Shil27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Nikkowar

Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
I just realized you can use your gameday ticket and get into Club Risque for free.

But you guys probably knew that already...

Nikkowar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 08:00 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shil27 View Post
anyone know of any decent hotels in cherry hill or anything close to the practice facility? we stayed at the holiday inn in cherry hill last time, but might be a bit too pricey for us this go 'round since we're bringing the kids and need to get 2 sep. rooms....and can't get a deal on hotwire or priceline there this time
Not sure what you consider too pricey, but there is a Hampton Inn that is within walking distance of the SkateZone that's around $120 per night. In that area I don't think you will find anything that is much less than that, and, if it is much less than that, you probably don't want to stay there.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Shil27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Not sure what you consider too pricey, but there is a Hampton Inn that is within walking distance of the SkateZone that's around $120 per night. In that area I don't think you will find anything that is much less than that, and, if it is much less than that, you probably don't want to stay there.
$120 is good and you're right, anything less, I probably won't want to stay there...just need some ideas and see if I can get a good rate through hotwire and whatnot. Thanks for the info.

Shil27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 07:48 PM
brindyfan

Quick question regarding the availability of tickets...what are the chances of me getting 4 tickets to the Friday after Thanksgiving game?

Thanks in advance!

brindyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Miracle80

Send a message via AIM to Miracle80
Reading this thread makes me miss Philly even more than I normally do.

Miracle80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 08:48 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by brindyfan View Post
Quick question regarding the availability of tickets...what are the chances of me getting 4 tickets to the Friday after Thanksgiving game?

Thanks in advance!
Between StubHub and eBay you won't have a problem, although 4 together might be an issue.

If you are willing to wait until the last minute, check out eBay on the day of the game and look at tickets that have no bids on them and ask the seller if he would part with them for face value or less. Most likely he will since getting something is better than nothing. You might have to meet him on the way down to the game, but if you can get them for less than face value it may be worth it. And, the more you are willing to spend, the better "deal" you might get. I once contacted a seller on the day of the game and got Club Box seats with parking for about half of face value. It was well worth meeting the guy at the Wawa at the Belmont Ave exit on I-76 for that.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 07:56 PM
slitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by brindyfan View Post

Thanks in advance!
i've gotten four tickets for that game for the last several years. its become a bit of a family tradition. keep you eyes peeled for presale passewords... thats your best bet

slitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 09:45 AM
habfan4

A couple of questions for the natives.

I noticed some beer talk earlier in this thread, any advice on decent pubs/brew pubs in the Rittenhouse/City Centre area (or a reasonable distance from that area). Are offerings from Victory Brewing and Stoudts Brewing readily available in most Philadelphia pubs?

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 10:00 AM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
A couple of questions for the natives.

I noticed some beer talk earlier in this thread, any advice on decent pubs/brew pubs in the Rittenhouse/City Centre area (or a reasonable distance from that area). Are offerings from Victory Brewing and Stoudts Brewing readily available in most Philadelphia pubs?
Nodding Head.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 10:11 AM
slitz

Standard Tap usually has a nice rotation of craft brews on tap

when will you be in town? stoudts has their brewfest Oct 18

Old
08-07-2008, 10:15 AM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitz View Post

ST isn't exactly Rittenhouse area.

Also,
http://www.monkscafe.com/
http://www.mcgillins.com/
http://karinandscott.com/Moriartys/home.html

Last edited by rayearth: 08-07-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old
08-07-2008, 03:17 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitz View Post

I'll be in town the third week of August so the brewfest is out unfortunately.

I'm looking mostly at brew pubs/beer bars that are in the areas that tourist frequent (not necessarily confined to RittenHouse which is where I'll be staying).

Old
08-07-2008, 03:19 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Thanks for the reccomendations and the links, much appreciated.

Old
08-07-2008, 03:29 PM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
I'll be in town the third week of August so the brewfest is out unfortunately.

I'm looking mostly at brew pubs/beer bars that are in the areas that tourist frequent (not necessarily confined to RittenHouse which is where I'll be staying).
The places I listed were more by Rittenhouse. There's plenty more in Old City.

If you're looking for more of a sport's bar there's always Chickies and Petes too.
http://www.chickiesandpetes.com/

Last edited by rayearth: 08-07-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old
08-08-2008, 10:48 AM
slitz

Quote:
ST isn't exactly Rittenhouse area.
no, its not. but its also not far from the tourist areas either.

Old
08-12-2008, 08:14 PM
hockeybad

hello fellow flyer fans... some buddies and i are road tripping it up there tomorrow night from dallas, tx straight thru (24 hours, fun ****). what are some good college age bars with cheap drinks in the philly area that aren't crazy shady? i don't mind driving, but i'll be staying in the 19135 zip if that helps with some good suggestions. and if anyone has any other suggestions for a fun time let me know. thanks in advance!

hockeybad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Philly is just like prison: kick someone's ass the first day or become someone's *****.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 08:07 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeybad View Post
hello fellow flyer fans... some buddies and i are road tripping it up there tomorrow night from dallas, tx straight thru (24 hours, fun ****). what are some good college age bars with cheap drinks in the philly area that aren't crazy shady? i don't mind driving, but i'll be staying in the 19135 zip if that helps with some good suggestions. and if anyone has any other suggestions for a fun time let me know. thanks in advance!
I would help, but in all honesty I have no idea where that zip code is. Good luck with the drive though, and have fun while you're here!

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 03:46 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 1448
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Isnt that northeast philly?

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote