HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Knicks & Garden possibly up for sale?

Old
08-07-2008, 11:29 AM
GarretJoseph

vCash: 500
I don't understand why people wanna get rid of him. He has very very deep pockets and always does things #1 with NYR in terms of doing whatever it takes to get said player in terms of CASH. What if the owner wont spend to the cap? As long as he has the right president/GM in place and butts out (he hardly butts in with the NYR) then I think hes a great owner. Players actually want to play in NY now.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Nich

now where did i put my 2 billion.......

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
I don't understand why people wanna get rid of him. He has very very deep pockets and always does things #1 with NYR in terms of doing whatever it takes to get said player in terms of CASH. What if the owner wont spend to the cap? As long as he has the right president/GM in place and butts out (he hardly butts in with the NYR) then I think hes a great owner. Players actually want to play in NY now.
that has nothing to do with dolan....people always wanted to play in.....but from 97-2002, that was strictly for the money.

and also, can you see a nyc owner not spend to the cap?

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 11:56 AM
tronylon

Send a message via AIM to tronylon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post

There are a lot of ****** owners out there, and some end up being worse than Dolan
99% chance any owner would be preferable to Dolan. I can think of very few (Wirtz) who are worse. We are pretty lucky Sather has gotten the job done the last few years, considering Dolan gave him a 'lifetime' contract.

He also paid quite possibly the biggest hand in ruining the knicks.

tronylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 02:20 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post

Oh God! Why do you put such hofrifying images in my head like Trump! I could only imaging his commentary with Trautwig in between periods....shoot me now!!!

Overseas investor comes in and buys the whole lot, Welcome Dubai World the new owners. They've already got their hands in the realestate and entertainment business and are slowly and quietly buying up America.

MSG is a USA landmark. No way they let a foreign group buy it. Bloomy would step up and buy it himself first.

Seriously, Trump would L O V E to grab Madison Square Garden. Hard to say if he would be a good owner or not. My gut says no. He'd be all about the spotlight and the pomp. He did do nice job on the central park rink though, Ill give him that. He is a NY guy too.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
MSG is a USA landmark. No way they let a foreign group buy it. Bloomy would step up and buy it himself first.

Seriously, Trump would L O V E to grab Madison Square Garden. Hard to say if he would be a good owner or not. My gut says no. He'd be all about the spotlight and the pomp. He did do nice job on the central park rink though, Ill give him that. He is a NY guy too.
MSG is a private building--it's not on anyone's list of "historic" buildings or places--and even if it was (haha), being protected only prevents it from being torn down or altered, not from being sold. There is nothing that I'm aware of preventing anyone with the cash from buying it.

It's also possible that the pieces could be sold separately too. Maybe Rattner buys the team and moves it Brooklyn.

Last edited by Brooklyn Ranger: 08-07-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I would argue that Anheuser-Busch is much more of an American Icon than MSG, and a Brazilian controlled Belgian company just bought them, so what's to prevent a Russian oil giant from buying MSG?

This is truly a case of where the parts are less than the whole. Without the guaranteed TV revenue, owning either team is a much more expensive prospect.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I would argue that Anheuser-Busch is much more of an American Icon than MSG, and a Brazilian controlled Belgian company just bought them, so what's to prevent a Russian oil giant from buying MSG?

This is truly a case of where the parts are less than the whole. Without the guaranteed TV revenue, owning either team is a much more expensive prospect.
I read somewhere that a Russian company is in talks with GM to buy the Hummer line of "cars". Buying MSG would at least be a little less oil intensive.

Old
08-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
MSG is a private building--it's not on anyone's list of "historic" buildings or places--and even if it was (haha), being protected only prevents it from being torn down or altered, not from being sold. There is nothing that I'm aware of preventing anyone with the cash from buying it.

It's also possible that the pieces could be sold separately too. Maybe Rattner buys the team and moves it Brooklyn.
So the Rangers would be homeless for a while?

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 07:40 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I wouldn't care if some Russian company took over the Garden. Look at some of the teams over in the EPL, they just pour money into them. We'd be in good hands.

With that said, I still don't see why Cablevision would sell their most important assets.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Fletch

the Brookyn Rangers? I'd love it. There's a couple bars on 4th Avenue I like over there.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
the Brookyn Rangers? I'd love it. There's a couple bars on 4th Avenue I like over there.
How about the Brooklyn Americans. Everything that's old is new again.

Old
08-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
They could be like everyone else in NYC and pay outrageous rents until the new space is completed.

Old
08-08-2008, 05:33 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
I wouldn't be too sure of that, the Chrysler building is pretty iconic in it's own right. Isn't it the 2nd tallest behind the Empire State Building? ....

http://www.business24-7.ae/articles/...b4d632511.aspx

http://luxuryresortsblog.blogspot.co...nyc-hotel.html

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Fletch

I was naming the team after you, Brooklyn...

as for the whole america thing, like baseball, basketball, apple pie and Chevrolet, $$$$ speak. And who cares if Russians owned the Garden? Does it really matter? Perhaps they'd understand how the game is played better than the current owners as well as understand what it's like to lose money just to have a toy (read, ticket prices that don't keep increasing).

In any event, nothing's sacred anymore. ***** happens...

Old
08-08-2008, 08:55 PM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Considering Dolan has finally let the Rangers be after so many years, I'm not sure now is a great time to be happy about the possibility of them being sold...

There are a lot of ****** owners out there, and some end up being worse than Dolan
It would be terrific for the Knicks and potentially not so great for the Rangers.

Dolan needs to get as far away from the Knicks as possible.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 08:57 PM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting View Post
To be honest now that we have a salary cap I don't think it means much who the owner is anyway. A few teams have a really active owner, so it would be cool to have like the Mark Cuban of the NHL. But other than that, and hiring a GM once every 5-10 years, the owners don't have much impact on the day to day team anyway.
Trust me, it matters. Charles Wang, while securing the Islanders' place on Long Island, is the biggest reason why the Islanders have had no direction since 2000.

You'd better hope that you get an owner who will hire the right people and not get involved himself (or herself).

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Maybe everyone in NY can donate like $5 each and then New York City can own the Rangers, Knicks, and the Garden like the city of Green Bay owns the Packers

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Fletch

$5 ain't cutting it...if CVC can monetize other assets, L'il Jimmy will keep his box (and toy) at the Garden. I've been involved in sales of assets that people have had for a long, long time and once they're gone, sometimes it's difficult losing certain privileges (had a couple places where I felt like a king for a while) - Jimmy likes that. He wants money, but I think he likes going to the Garden knowing he 'owns' it. Considernig that CVC ain't up for sale, he's not cashing out any time soon and seems to prefer being the Man as opposed to cashing out at this point...

Old
08-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
$5 ain't cutting it...if CVC can monetize other assets, L'il Jimmy will keep his box (and toy) at the Garden. I've been involved in sales of assets that people have had for a long, long time and once they're gone, sometimes it's difficult losing certain privileges (had a couple places where I felt like a king for a while) - Jimmy likes that. He wants money, but I think he likes going to the Garden knowing he 'owns' it. Considernig that CVC ain't up for sale, he's not cashing out any time soon and seems to prefer being the Man as opposed to cashing out at this point...
true, but i wasnt really being serious though.

Old
08-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
the izod center for a season. the ugliest arena in all of sports.

Old
08-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Captain Monglobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Maybe everyone in NY can donate like $5 each and then New York City can own the Rangers, Knicks, and the Garden like the city of Green Bay owns the Packers
If the city owned the Rangers...dear god. The new renovations would take 20 years.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 12:19 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
I was naming the team after you, Brooklyn...

as for the whole america thing, like baseball, basketball, apple pie and Chevrolet, $$$$ speak. And who cares if Russians owned the Garden? Does it really matter? Perhaps they'd understand how the game is played better than the current owners as well as understand what it's like to lose money just to have a toy (read, ticket prices that don't keep increasing).

In any event, nothing's sacred anymore. ***** happens...
I'm way too literal--and ah gee, I'm touched (I am really) that you thouht of naming them for me. Do I get free tickets? Any other naming rights?

As for the Brooklyn Americans...wasn't the team playing in New York when Tex's New York Rangers were formed the Brooklyn Americans?

Last edited by Brooklyn Ranger: 08-09-2008 at 12:24 AM.
Old
08-09-2008, 09:55 AM
ap215

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtotheIzzo View Post
It would be terrific for the Knicks and potentially not so great for the Rangers.

Dolan needs to get as far away from the Knicks as possible.
True that.

ap215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 10:29 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
If we banned together, and 100000 of us Rangers fans each came up with $3000 we'd have the $300,000,000 mill we need.....

I for one, am in!!!!!!!! who's with me???
I put a lot of thought into this one time, just with any team, have a privately held company with shareholders. The tough part would be getting the NHL governors and teams to approve

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote