HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Update on Jagr and Cherepanov/Cherepanov Interview

Old
08-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Well, its more than that though, Money, the ability to play at home, the ability to play in new york, pride, following through and following the greatest russian hockey players in the world to the NHL (kovlachuk, AO Malkin, etc), proving the NHL teams that passed on you wrong, the influence Jagr has in him going, what his family thinks, etc.

Playing in New York VS Playing in Siberia is a no brainer to me, but to him, who knows. I personally think he will come, but i dont think its as set in stone as i did just 2 years ago. Right now id say its more like 75-25 of him coming here based on what he's said, and how he has honored his contract with Omsk. But we shall see.

I think he will evenually come over but i wouldn't be shocked if he signed a HUGE 5 year contract with Omsk after this season...Why 5 years? Because in 5 years the Rangers can offer him a competitive contract that isn't bound by the rookie cap...

I don't think it's a no-brainer...not when he can have a lifetimes worth of security for his family at the tender age of 20...

I don't think we can say with a straight face he would be following the greatest Russians into the NHL...not when for generations Russians couldn't play in the NHL...

I don't think it's as cut and dry as "well everybody wants to play in nyc in the nhl" not when he can play at home and make more money....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Turambar

I haven't seen this posted here yet, so I figured I'd throw this in as well:

Quote:
Asked if he perceived Jagr’s signing as a victory over the Rangers and the NHL, Bardin responded diplomatically. “To some it may seem that way, but here it’s a different matter. They need to understand abroad that talented and serious managers work in Russia, who they need to take into account.” But when pressed further he conceeded “Well, if you put it one way, for me it is a victory over the NHL, not over the Rangers.” He then added, seeming to contradict his denial of a scoring a win over the Rangers, “What makes me happy still is that the young Cherepanov remains with us; the New York club wanted to get a hold of him, but the forward decided to stay at home for at least a year. For us this is also a success.”
http://www.beyondtheblueshirts.com/2...tory-over-nhl/

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Avy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
no actually they didn't have as much money nor where they bidding for malkin in 2006..
Dude this is Ak Bars roaster during lockout http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...023912005.html
they did have enough money in 2006.

Avy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post
Dude this is Ak Bars roaster during lockout http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...023912005.html
Then explain to us why Malkin didn't sign with this team?

Where they offering him more money then Pittsburgh?

Are you trying to say times haven't changed with the KHL?

Old
08-06-2008, 04:03 PM
D713B

I'm not sure why everyone always gets so upset over this. Theres two very likely options for Cherry with obvious reasons for each.

Scenario 1: Stay in Russia play for the KHL, make more money earlier and be in your homeland with your family and friends. No culture shock. Continue to be a superstar.

Scenario 2: Leave for the NHL after this year, play against the top competition, experience NYC, prove yourself to be among the elite in the world.

Each scenario is equally as plausible. Good luck though trying to get into a 20 year olds head that no one here has ever met or spoken to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post
Any links that have the contracts these players signed? I'm actually just curious to see what most players signed for during the lockout.

Last edited by D713B: 08-06-2008 at 04:10 PM.
D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Then explain to us why Malkin didn't sign with this team?

Where they offering him more money then Pittsburgh?

Are you trying to say times haven't changed with the KHL?
Uh, because Malkin wanted to play in the ****ing NHL?

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
According to SOS, this is a theoretical impossibility.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
So if Malkin was offered a ton of money to stay in Russian he wouldn't have?

do you really want to compare the situations with what cherepanov is facing after this season to malkins?

Do you think there is NO chance Cherepanov will sign in Russia after this season?

Have times changed in the past few years since Malkin came to Pittsburgh?

Old
08-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
According to SOS, this is a theoretical impossibility.
please don't speak for me......

Old
08-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Are you kidding, here, SOS? Of course he wouldn't have. He knew damn well he'd be getting his payday in the NHL. He wanted to compete in the best league and make the most for himself.

He doesn't accomplish that staying in the KHL.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Are you kidding, here, SOS? Of course he wouldn't have. He knew damn well he'd be getting his payday in the NHL. He wanted to compete in the best league and make the most for himself.

He doesn't accomplish that staying in the KHL.
no i'm not kidding here? are you? Does Cherepanov know he's going to get a big payday in the NHL?

Are you going to compare Cherepanovs talent to Malkins?

Old
08-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Avy*

Quote:

do you really want to compare the situations with what cherepanov is facing after this season to malkins?

Do you think there is NO chance Cherepanov will sign in Russia after this season?

Have times changed in the past few years since Malkin came to Pittsburgh?
The money is not the problem for RSL top teams since 02-03. The problem is that Malkin played in small town Magnitogorsk. Trust me its not the best place for life. The problem is that they still don't have proper infrastructure and back in 05-06 it was much worser. The problem is that NHL still much more prestigious, Malkin played against all these NHL stars during lockout and it was obvious he is just better and money is only question of time for him.

Trust me if Cherepanov dominate next season in the league of Jagr, Radulov and couple russian NT stars nothing would stop him from jumping intro NHL.

God i love this abstract "NHL" thing... like if there is no difference between playing in ****ing Nashville or in the capital of the world.

Cherepanov is not worth even 1/32 of Jags salary in Omsk at this moment. Stop overvaluing him, he is all potential.

Avy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 08:19 PM
pzilla3

Cherry obviously has the desire to come over here. Now let's just hope he works as hard as Jags is telling him to.

pzilla3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 08:27 PM
TomLaidlaw

Does this mean in a year Cherry will come to NY with a mullet and his jersey tucked into the back of his shorts?

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 08:28 PM
pzilla3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Does this mean in a year Cherry will come to NY with a mullet and his jersey tucked into the back of his shorts?
We can only hope so. haha

pzilla3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 12:18 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Nice to see Jagr is pimping the level of play in the NHL.
Yeah it's great he's "pimping" the NHL level of play, but realistically he should be still playing in the NHL because he can still play at that level and have the fans marvel at him.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 02:19 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
- Yes, sometimes I ask him about the NHL. Jaromir knows that I have been invited there, and once said: “You want to play in the NHL - train more.” After these words I began to work even harder. By the way, after each practice Jaromir works extra with me: shows me all kinds of techniques, teaches me how to shoot, tells me how and on what I still need to work. In a way he is one of my coaches.
He was staying over in Omsk this year anyways so this is probably the best thing that could have happened for the kid. His idol showing him the ropes and essentially molding a protege. Implanting a better work ethic and desire. Shoring up his weaknesses. Improving the strengths. Cherepanov was a pretty darn good shooter but here's hoping he picks up some pointers.

next year's Cherepanov w/ Jagr's coaching >>>>>>>>>>>>> next year's Cherepanov w/o

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 08:52 AM
nrf83

Since it is August I am going to speculate; Bardin, JJ, and Slats made an agreement that allowed JJ to go to Omsk, and let Slats off the hook on resigning JJ; the retun on this is when Cherepanov's contract is up, Bardin allows him to play for NY Rangers, not Wolfpack.

My second thought is if Cherepanov wants to be thought of with Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk et al, he has got to play in NHL; He is young enough to make the trek to USA, he knows he will get a payday down road,($800K not to bad to start); If he harbors any notion at all about hockey super stardom KHL aint gonna cut it. If he wants mediocrity he stays in Omsk, if he wants to be thought of as the best of Russian hockey fraternity, than he most definitely has to play in NHL. Just my 2 cents

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
For some reason......

I cannot stop reading ALL of your posts in a Russian accent. It's actually pretty good.

I must make video!

-Brian

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Anyone have videos of the hattrick??

I want to see!

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Yeah it's great he's "pimping" the NHL level of play, but realistically he should be still playing in the NHL because he can still play at that level and have the fans marvel at him.
Well that's his own fault, isn't it? He had his chance to stick around and decided to go back home.

I didn't want Jagr back for the 7+ mil he wanted, he could have taken a discount and come back to play on the first line with Naslund.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 03:16 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Well that's his own fault, isn't it? He had his chance to stick around and decided to go back home.

I didn't want Jagr back for the 7+ mil he wanted, he could have taken a discount and come back to play on the first line with Naslund.
Jagr was willing to take $4m + bonuses (for targets similar to what his option year was tied to, not a ridiculous "10 games played earns me an extra $2m" bonus like Shanny had last year) but he wanted the security of a 2-year deal. Slats wouldn't budge. So Jagr left.

It wasn't about money. He was offered as much, if not more than he's getting in Omsk to play in Edmonton, but again, only for one year. Jagr wanted to know a team was committed to him, and that he wasn't going to have to go through this whole thing again next summer.

Ultimately, that Jagr's not in NY this season was Sather's decision, not Jagr's. He was more than willing to take a home town discount, he just wanted to know he'd have the same home town for more than a year if he did.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 03:22 PM
czechmate25

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Jagr was willing to take $4m + bonuses (for targets similar to what his option year was tied to, not a ridiculous "10 games played earns me an extra $2m" bonus like Shanny had last year) but he wanted the security of a 2-year deal. Slats wouldn't budge. So Jagr left.

It wasn't about money. He was offered as much, if not more than he's getting in Omsk to play in Edmonton, but again, only for one year. Jagr wanted to know a team was committed to him, and that he wasn't going to have to go through this whole thing again next summer.

Ultimately, that Jagr's not in NY this season was Sather's decision, not Jagr's. He was more than willing to take a home town discount, he just wanted to know he'd have the same home town for more than a year if he did.
'

Good post. Unfortunatley, that is too hard for some people to understand.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post

True, but my point was that if he wanted to play in the NHL badly enough, the option was there. Sather may have set the terms, but ultimately it was Jagr's decision to leave.

You're right that Jagr wanted the team to be committed to him, but that was his problem. The team should not be committed to one player, the player should be committed to the team.

Had Jagr taken the 1 year deal and played well, I have no doubt that he would have been asked to play another season. It's not as if he was picking up his life to move somewhere out west for one year, he was going to stay in NY where he's been for 3 years already.

Personally, I think the 2 year thing wasn't for piece of mind about where he'd be playing, but just for assurance he'd be playing at all next year. Which, oddly enough, was influenced by Jagr more than anyone else. If he had put up 85+ points with Naslund, you can bet Sather would have invited him back for a second year to finish it out and keep the two together for one more year.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 03:39 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
What I don't understand, is that this kid is doing the right thing and honoring his contract. Wouldn't we want him to do the same if he was with us? I say bravo to any player in any league that mans up and honors the contracts that he signs.

Also, there is so much talk about money, but what about the fact that alot of young russian and european players would like to come over to the states, not just for hockey, but to sample the culture and experience another part of the world. Not everyone is as geocentric as us, alot of foreigners appear to enjoy experiencing lifestyles and cultural differences in NA...

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote