HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Higgins Expendable?

Old
08-07-2008, 09:38 AM
AD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
I beg to differ. According to the Oxford English Dictionary of Internet Slurs and Insults, asshat is a gender neutral term.
I was looking for an excuse to use the teach smiley.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks19 View Post
The Canadiens have a solid top six with Kovalev, Koivu, A.Kostitsyn, S.Kostitsyn, Plekanec, and now Tanguay. So with more than capable bottom six players such as Latendresse, Lapierre, Begin, Chipchura and now Laraque do you think he should be moved to bring in a defenseman.

As a canucks fan I propose this deal.

To MTL:
Kevin Bieksa

To VAN:
Chris Higgins

Bieksa would bring an Offense that the habs lost after Streit an would bring lots of toughness.
Higgins + Denis for Luongo (to serve as a backup to Price or to serve as trade bait)

The Habs don't need Bieksa.

Last edited by Corey: 08-07-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
I say he's expendable but only at right price. Bieska is not enough for in my mind for Higgins as D is not an issue in Montreal really.

We need Higgins as guys like Tanguay Kovalev and Koivu are all UFA next year!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 10:15 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
I say he's expendable but only at right price. Bieska is not enough for in my mind for Higgins as D is not an issue in Montreal really.

We need Higgins as guys like Tanguay Kovalev and Koivu are all UFA next year!
You're right. Higgins is expendable to fill a glaring need, if he would be enough to acquire a difference maker at a need position, well, sadly, you go ahead. Bieksa's good and value can be argued but it's pointless if he isn't a need, along with the facts that you list.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 10:19 AM
habscout

Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
I watched both Subban & Weber play a live OHL game last season [not against each other]. Weber reminds me a lot of Mark Streit, in both the cons [offensive quarterback with a big shot, and good puck handling/passing skills], and cons [defensive side of his game suffers against bigger forwards].

Subban's defence was much better than I expected. He is fairly strong, although not tall, so he handles the physical part of the game well enough at the OHL level. His offence was good too; his puck handling, passing & shooting are all very good. His hockey style actually reminds me of Andrei Markov. What Subban still has to learn is when to pinch and when not to pinch [ie. jump up in the play]. That skill took a while for Markov to learn too in the NHL, and I remember then assistant coach Ricke Green chewing Markov out a few times for defensive gaffes. Andrei is usually deadly when he jumps in to the play for an offensive chance; he rarely gets burned. Subban is a better skater than Markov, so he stands a good chance at recovering from those types of mistakes. I believe both will become good NHL pros, it's just a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Subban must learn to play D efficiently. I really start to wonder if the management will convert him into a forward.

Weber is a good one.

Last edited by habscout: 08-07-2008 at 10:27 AM.
habscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 10:28 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

You guys are absolutely nuts. Higgins is one of the most versitile players we have and he gets better every year. The guy was expected to be a 3rd liner at best and even if he ends up there this year, he's one of the best 3rd liners in the league.

I can't believe the **** he gets on this board. A year ago, he was a GOD here. A GOD. You ****ing fair weather fans are the most fickle bunch I have ever seen. I can't help but shake my head how quickly you guys turn on Higgins after a pretty DECENT season, and suddenly turn around swinging off Kovalev's nutsack after he has a great year. Did you all forget how ****** he was before? How his attitude was garbage and everyone wanted him traded? But nooo! "MAKE KOVALEV THE CAPTAIN", you all proclaim.

It's ridiculous. Some of you are completely clueless.

My prediction is that this time next year, we'll be seeing "HIGGINS IS GOD" threads, "TRADE SERGEI KOSTITSYN" threads, and "IS PRICE EXPENDABLE?" threads. You guys are absolutely crazy.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 10:34 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
You guys are absolutely nuts. Higgins is one of the most versitile players we have and he gets better every year. The guy was expected to be a 3rd liner at best and even if he ends up there this year, he's one of the best 3rd liners in the league.

I can't believe the **** he gets on this board. A year ago, he was a GOD here. A GOD. You ****ing fair weather fans are the most fickle bunch I have ever seen. I can't help but shake my head how quickly you guys turn on Higgins after a pretty DECENT season, and suddenly turn around swinging off Kovalev's nutsack after he has a great year. Did you all forget how ****** he was before? How his attitude was garbage and everyone wanted him traded? But nooo! "MAKE KOVALEV THE CAPTAIN", you all proclaim.

My prediction is that this time next year, we'll be seeing "HIGGINS IS GOD" threads, "TRADE SERGEI KOSTITSYN" threads, and "IS PRICE EXPENDABLE?" threads. You guys are absolutely crazy.
Stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 10:46 AM
AD

Quote:

This is funny.

Except I don't know who you're talking to since all but one or two of the Habs fans in this thread are defending Higgins.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Mike8

Higgins is not expendable, but he can be moved.

Dealing him for Bieksa would be lunacy, though.

Higgins fulfills a need and is a versatile player for Montreal. Trading him, without the deal being a package for a star, core player would be lateral at best--and likely worse than that.

Blanket statement: anyone claiming anything to the contrary, or claiming Higgins is indeed expendable, is merely an attention-seeker looking to get a rise out of others.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Higgins is not expendable, but he can be moved.

Dealing him for Bieksa would be lunacy, though.

Higgins fulfills a need and is a versatile player for Montreal. Trading him, without the deal being a package for a star, core player would be lateral at best--and likely worse than that.

Blanket statement: anyone claiming anything to the contrary, or claiming Higgins is indeed expendable, is merely an attention-seeker looking to get a rise out of others.
Or a hypocrite who wants to create a space for someone else who isn't on Higgins's level.

27 goals bad, 16 goals good.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Kikizaz

oh thank god, the bieksa talk has subsided...

As for Higgins, it all depends on the return. I really like higgins and hope he stays a hab for quite some but should he be part of a package to get kovalchuk... I'd have a little private time for myself...

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Pax Macioretty

Last year he was expandable, but Tanguay should make him twice the player he was last year, even more if you add the bonus experience, this year he really is THE finisher on Koivu-Tanguay line and i seriously doubt he'l miss as much chances as he did the year before, if he is on the market though, get a center in return and put Latendresse on Koivu's line

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 03:28 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Last year he was expandable, but Tanguay should make him twice the player he was last year, even more if you add the bonus experience, this year he really is THE finisher on Koivu-Tanguay line and i seriously doubt he'l miss as much chances as he did the year before, if he is on the market though, get a center in return and put Latendresse on Koivu's line
agreed he IS the finisher on that line. it's not kos jr.

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
who ever said that Sergei is a finisher? that line would totally suck out in 5 games top

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 03:37 PM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
We don't know what the lines will be yet, and even if we did, Carbo is constantly changing them.. what is the point?

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Your posts beg the question. Are you capable of making or refuting a point without employing a straw man argument? Who suggested that Higgins was a future 70-80 point producer?

In terms of Higgin's value, I'll take a depth player that can play on the power play, PK and from the first line to the third line any day.

Incidentally, you can omit the superfluous "teach" smilie at the end of every post, you'd still be considered a condescending asshat without it.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=541599

Learn to Read !! According to 75% of the people, Higgins will have a breakout year and will put around 70-80 points.

Also for this thread, I have the same opinion as almost everybody saying that Higgins is expendable, but wouldn't trade him for Bieksa, so what's you're freakinn problem ?!

Who cares if you don't like to read me. Everybody has their own style, some people are more irritating than others, so what ?! This is what makes a diverse society with different kind of people in it.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 08-07-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

The big question is : Will he play on the PP ?

With the Kostitsyn's, Tanguay and Kovalev there will be a huge fight for PP time. Maybe Carbo will use Sergei Kostitsyn at the point to make room for Higgins. He scored 12 PP goals last year so a drop in production could happen if he lose PP time.

He's not expendable, he's a big piece of the team. And if he was that would certainly not be for Bieksa

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 05:08 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
Most fans of other teams would consider Vancouver as being the loser in such a trade. Only here is Higgins rated higher than Bieksa. You'd have to be crazy not to make this move if it was on the table.
Okay, I'll call your bluff.... Go put it up at the Trade Rumour Board as a poll, ask Canadiens and Canucks fans to refrain from voting and see what the results are.

I suspect you will be very surprised.

Quote:

These are the very same people that said that Montreal would be lucky if they could find somebody stupid enough to take Alex Kovalev last summer. There were literally people suggesting Kovalev be waived or bought out. You would think after saying something so stupid and embarrassing, those fans wouldn't post here anymore, but no, they come right back and say some other stupid crap. (Trade Koivu, trade Higgins, send Latendresse to Hamilton, etc)

The problem with this board is the Canadiens have *so* many fans that this board has a much higher percentage of clueless fans then other teams have to deal with. Take a look at the Toronto board, it's filled with an equal amount of laughable posters, the difference being the Leaf fans all blindly praise the team/players/prospects.

The Montreal board seems to be plagued by fans that worship the prospects and bash the veterans.

Higgins was a God until he was an established player. Now he's crap that needs to be moved to make room for D'Agostini or someone. Now Sergei Kostitsyn is a god to those people.

The best advice I can give you, Waffle, is to use the ignore tool. There's ton of "fans" that post here that know so little about NHL hockey, there's no point wasting your time chatting with them here. But if you edit things down and tweak the list, there are still some really good, informed posters here.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 08-07-2008 at 07:31 PM.
FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 05:27 PM
PhysicalTorque

No he isn't, he makes things possible for you guys.

PhysicalTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Higgins enjoy to be a canadiens and gives it all for this club. He was never drafted to become a 80pts player and the fact that he over exceeded the expectation of the management is only a plus.

Of course he could be traded but I don't see the point on trading him now (cheap contract and RFA next summer) unless we get an astonishing deal.

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

I would only do that trade if it was Matt Higgins

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
C-Saku Koivu MTL

I think Pacioretty ''could'' make Higgins expendable at some point but it won't be before a few more years yet. And then again, who knows what our team will look like at that point.

I do believe we need another top 4 defenceman but for this year only. After that, I'm very confident our young defenceman will start taking alot of space. No need to trade Higgins for Bieksa IMO.

I like Higgins and I'm not looking foward to not having him on the team but he could be in a package trade to get us a top centerman.

C-Saku Koivu MTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
tinyzombies

Value-wise, this is a good trade for us right now, but the deal doesn't make sense right now.

-Bieksa is a LD, we need a top 4 two-way RD instead.
-Bieksa is expensive and oft-injured and undersized for his style of play.
-Higgins might yet have a breakout goal-scoring year. He has all the tools and a quick, accurate release.
-Higgins is cheap for now.
-Higgins is home grown (important).

And we can always pick up a UFA Dman if absolutely necessary for a similar price to what Bieksa is already getting.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
I like Erika just for how much she annoys everyone. Internets being so serious and all.

Higgins is not expendable though, players that bleed bleu blanc rouge need to stay, it's one of the things previous managements got wrong.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 08-07-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Marchy79

Higgins is definately not expendable.
He is just getting in to his prime as a player, and IMO could attain even higher #'s in the coming season.
Guys like Higgins, are very valuable for us, esp. with his versatile play. He can get thrown n to any line, and he just does not miss a beat. He is a very accomplished hockey player, and though some have soured on him, he is definately still a Montreal Canadien I hope remains here for an extremely long time to come.

Bear in mind, that when Higgins talks, people tend to listen. He demonstrates strong leadership skills, and is a die hard canadiens fan to boot. It would not only be counter productive to trade higgins for anything other than a steal, it would also be just plain stupid.

Core players, are guys that are the face of the Franchise. Montreal has a few of them since they turned the franchise around.

The only thing I would like on this squad, is one more solid Right handed d-man (I cant believe Im saying this, but Rivet would be a very good addition there), and Sundin to finally tell all he is a Canadien in the upcoming season. That's the only thing I want by way of changes made to our roster.

In short, if the season did start tomorrow, I'd be extremely comfortable. Seriously.

Higgins though, is a key cog in Montreal. as many have mentioned, he's the type of unheralded guys who wins you championships. Many posters have mentioned this, and they would be right. It's ****ing HARD to find the few players who could bring in the same qualities to a team like Higgins does.

Montreal trades Higgins, we'd probably regret it, 'cause there isnt many around the league like him,

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote