HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Higgins Expendable?

Old
08-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Next Best Thing*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
+ 9859487689547869547654389707389654764809

His stone hands and poor offensive vision will handicap his numbers. The perfect 3rd liner, but anything more than this means you're team isn't a cup contender.

I don't understand this quote "Higgins is the type of players that you win cups" thing... What cup ?! Cup of chokers ?! In his two playoffs appearance he was nothing but useless, let alone future captain and bla bla bla. Even when Koivu came back, when he played with him and Sergei he was still garbage.

Last year, the guy was floating 50% of the time and barely put any effort on the ice some nights !! Also, when he had some scoring chances, 95% of the time he missed. Honestly, how many times Higgins was in a breakaway and you guys all knew that he was gonna miss ?!

How many threads we saw last year ''Higgins needs to wake up", "Higgins can't score to save his life", "Higgins needs to step up his game", etc.

And you guys still saying that this guy is all about about Heart ?!? Koivu is heart, Komisarek is heart, S.Kostitsyn is heart, Kostoulos is Heart, Begin is Heart, Gorges is heart, Higgins ?! pfff not at all... And I'm not even mentionning several contraversial quotes from him, including bashing Ryder, his role as a forward and more last year and calling out Kovalev two years ago. Yeah talk about leadership... So stop with this myth that Higgins is all about heart, because he isn't at all !!

Overall, I don't see anything about this guy that will make my team win games, let alone win the Cup. He is an okay complimentary player who can produce a little bit with good players, very versatlile player none the less, anything more is way out of his capabilities... For the good of the Habs, he should play on the third line IMO.

You are a bad mama you know that?

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Why will Koivu likely be gone?
will he accept a salary cut ?
if he does welcome back saku if not thanks for everything and good luck.

We have to give pay raise to Komisarek, Higgins, Plekanec and after that year to Price and S.Kostitsyn.

It depends on tons of factors from now and july 1st but I dont think koivu is a better player then plekanec and they are both the same size.

I dont mind Koivu he is one of my favorite player and I grew up as a huge fan on his. But 4.75m$ is a lot of money... And if we have to let him or komisarek go my decision would be pretty easy.

Jeffrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 11:02 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Expendable (adj.)

-Dispensible
-Disposable
-superfluous
-unessential
-replaceable

A GM that aspires to having his team become the Columbus Bluejackets or Florida Panthers, or some other perennial alsoran, might use some of the above adjectives to describe Higgins. If such a GM exists I hope he's on Gainey's people-to-call-today list.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Mackee

Some of the stuff written about Higgins ranges between laughable and downright wrong. The worst has got to be the "stone hands" remark. Seriously. He scored 27 goals. Who cares how he put them in? What matters most is that he puts them in.

I agree that he'll probably move out of the top six into a third line role. But I personally don't see any downside to having a perennial two-way 30 goal scorer on our third line who can play either centre or the wing.

Mackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 01:44 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBlancRouge View Post
Some of the stuff written about Higgins ranges between laughable and downright wrong. The worst has got to be the "stone hands" remark. Seriously. He scored 27 goals. Who cares how he put them in? What matters most is that he puts them in.

I agree that he'll probably move out of the top six into a third line role. But I personally don't see any downside to having a perennial two-way 30 goal scorer on our third line who can play either centre or the wing.
He has excellent hands and good speed and a great release, but his vision ain't so great. He can't be the set-up guy, that's for sure. He needs a playmaker.

To be honest, I could probably score 27 goals on Koivu's line. He needs to do a bit better. But injuries and a lack of a third linemate are big factors.

So, he COULD be a 40 goal guy. It's possible.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 05:14 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Some real idiots in this thread...wow. Stone hands? wow

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 05:19 AM
Haddock

To be fair the stone hands comment was only made by one person who's not really known for actual knowledge of the game and player skills. The vast majority of us love Higgins and want to keep him forever.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 07:07 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
will he accept a salary cut ?
if he does welcome back saku if not thanks for everything and good luck.

We have to give pay raise to Komisarek, Higgins, Plekanec and after that year to Price and S.Kostitsyn.

It depends on tons of factors from now and july 1st but I dont think koivu is a better player then plekanec and they are both the same size.

I dont mind Koivu he is one of my favorite player and I grew up as a huge fan on his. But 4.75m$ is a lot of money... And if we have to let him or komisarek go my decision would be pretty easy.
If people say we aren't great down the middle now, I don't wanna know what happens if koivu isn't resigned.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 08:38 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=541599

Learn to Read !! According to 75% of the people, Higgins will have a breakout year and will put around 70-80 points.

Also for this thread, I have the same opinion as almost everybody saying that Higgins is expendable, but wouldn't trade him for Bieksa, so what's you're freakinn problem ?!

Who cares if you don't like to read me. Everybody has their own style, some people are more irritating than others, so what ?! This is what makes a diverse society with different kind of people in it.

The only person in that thread who brought up 80 points was you, the rest of posters who chimed in with their pollyanna point predictions put Higgins' potential numbers in the 60-70 point range. I notice you didn't deign to lecture those that predicted a break out season for either Kostitsyn, I wonder why?

In terms of your "style", that's really not the point. It's the total lack of substance mixed with ironic use of that loathsome and tiresome “teach” smilie that I find impertinent. Thankfully it’s overuse appears to have relegated it and you to punch line status, not unlike the posters wildone and his 30% prediction.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I would like to see Higgins becoming a little more meaner. Did he ever got in a scrap with somebody? I would love to see that extra edge out of him though, like Lats, it doesn't seem to be in him.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 09:07 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I would like to see Higgins becoming a little more meaner. Did he ever got in a scrap with somebody? I would love to see that extra edge out of him though, like Lats, it doesn't seem to be in him.
Higgins never got involved in any scrap... Hell! When Koivu got destroyed by Armstrong in 2006-2007, he just skated away like nothing ever happened.

Same thing when Sergei Kostitsyn was destroyed by Hollweg earlier this year... Gorges and Koivu were the two players jumping on Hollweg ...

Latendresse is not that shy of the traffic... He fought 4 times already, and he is always in the middle of scrap. Come on. Don't like Latendresse if you want people, but don't invent stuff on him.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 09:13 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
The only person in that thread who brought up 80 points was you, the rest of posters who chimed in with their pollyanna point predictions put Higgins' potential numbers in the 60-70 point range. I notice you didn't deign to lecture those that predicted a break out season for either Kostitsyn, I wonder why?

In terms of your "style", that's really not the point. It's the total lack of substance mixed with ironic use of that loathsome and tiresome “teach” smilie that I find impertinent. Thankfully it’s overuse appears to have relegated it and you to punch line status, not unlike the posters wildone and his 30% prediction.
Ahhhh good times

Old
08-08-2008, 09:14 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I don't think Higgins (or Latendresse) have the requisite sandpaper to play a "mean game", which is a pretty nebulous term. Higgins certainly finishes his checks but with the purpose of retreiving the puck as opposed to physically punishing the opposition. I think the best we can hope for with both players is that they are tenacious about protecting and acquiring the puck, which isn't bad considering they both should be looking for dead space in the slot to create scoring chances.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 09:25 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Higgins never got involved in any scrap... Hell! When Koivu got destroyed by Armstrong in 2006-2007, he just skated away like nothing ever happened.

Same thing when Sergei Kostitsyn was destroyed by Hollweg earlier this year... Gorges and Koivu were the two players jumping on Hollweg ...

Latendresse is not that shy of the traffic... He fought 4 times already, and he is always in the middle of scrap. Come on. Don't like Latendresse if you want people, but don't invent stuff on him.
I think he meant more along the lines of Latendresse isn't mean in his play. Lats hits, may fight rarely, but in the end, do you feel he's intimidating the opposition or really a dominating physical force? Not really, he lacks a certain aggressive quality when using his size. That's not really me bashing him or anything, it's the way he is, along with higgins, they just aren't gritty players.

For instance, I used to play ice hockey. On the rare occasion i'd knock someone off the puck and they'd fall i'd actually hesistate and see if they were alright. It just wasn't in me. I've told a opposing player sorry after he tried skating into me and fell. Funny part was when i played i was originally 6'4, 225 lbs and a center. The habs could use me...if they want to finish last.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 09:26 AM
tollb2

If you ask me i think Higgins upsides deffinatly drown out what people consider downsides. Players' games mature at diffrent speeds and levels , but you draft them cause of prominent qualities that you build a team around. He has teh build of a leader, same with Chips. Stone hands ? .. i dont think so, he can still put em away, everyone hit alot of posts last year

tollb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 09:39 AM
AD

Quote:

Punch lines are supposed to be funny.

On the scale of - Street mime to Jerry Seinfeld - She's no more that a Carrot top rerun commercial of At&t.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Fozz

I like Higgins and think he's a player that brings a lot of intangibles to the team. However, saying that he's not expendable is taking it a tad too far IMO. In all honesty, I see him more as a great 3rd line winger on a very deep team.

Fozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:

Speaking of inventing stuff, you're embellishing the truth quite a bit to make your point about Higgins. Souray jumped Armstrong and started pounding the snot out of him as soon as he dropped Koivu with that hit. Should Higgins have jumped in and been a 3rd Man In??

I don't remember where Higgins was when Hollweg hit SKost from behind but I do remember Gorges getting right in there as he was the nearest to the incident. If Higgins was playing his position, he should have been on the opposite side of the ice from SKost.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 01:03 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
not unlike the posters wildone and his 30% prediction.
OT but what happened to him anyway? Did he reappear under another username?

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 01:05 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Speaking of inventing stuff, you're embellishing the truth quite a bit to make your point about Higgins. Souray jumped Armstrong and started pounding the snot out of him as soon as he dropped Koivu with that hit. Should Higgins have jumped in and been a 3rd Man In??

I don't remember where Higgins was when Hollweg hit SKost from behind but I do remember Gorges getting right in there as he was the nearest to the incident. If Higgins was playing his position, he should have been on the opposite side of the ice from SKost.
Higgins was just besides Koivu along with Ryder... all the play was developing on the LEFT wing.

As for the Hollweg thing, welll even Bouillon found a way to fight against another player to defend his teammate. Bouillon is playing left.

I mean, just watch :

Old
08-08-2008, 01:12 PM
speed11

Quote:
Higgins was just besides Koivu along with Ryder... all the play was developing on the LEFT wing.

As for the Hollweg thing, welll even Bouillon found a way to fight against another player to defend his teammate. Bouillon is playing left.

I mean, just watch :

if you're gonna put any pointless blame on a player there, it should be Ryder, he had him lined up so well and just skated by him...

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Schooner Guy

Why has this turned into a Higgins versus Latendresse thread anyway? They are two different types of players. Higgins is an average sized, honest, 27 goal scoring, versatile and speedy winger who kills penalties and can be counted on in most key situations. Fighting and mean streak aren't part of Higgins game. Latendresse is a big forward with great hands and can hit like a freight train when he wants to. Because speed isn't part of Lats' arsenal, he must either be scoring or hitting and playing physical to be effective. You're not likely to see Lats on the ice in a PK situation or in the last minute of a game with a one goal lead.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 01:20 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

What I posted doesn't make Higgins a bad player... He is a good player... My definition of good is simply not the same as yours.

Old
08-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Judge Sauer*

Just online for a moment this week....wanted to say, NO THANKS!

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBlancRouge View Post

I agree opn the stone hands comment. Higgin s is not Ovechkin, but he isn't Parros either. He can be streaky though, as he matures some more hopefully he has less goalless streaks and more hot streaks. When he is struggling he seems to not shoot enough and misfire on easy goals. I think with a bit more consistency he could score 30 pretty regularly, maybe have a career year and pot 35 at some point. One of his strengths is like A.Kost he will go and score the garbage goals.

I don't necessarily think we have 6 better forwards than him, though in the right situation he'd be my #3 center, but his ice time would not drop much given he gets PK time and you'd have 3 scoring lines splitting time more evenly. He'd probably still be on your #2 PP like last year.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote