HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My New Rangers Blog

Old
08-02-2008, 10:43 PM
BlairBettsBlocks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Just a few comments to help you out:

- If you're looking to turn writing into a career, professionalism is going to stand out the most in your work. That means things like grammar, writing tone, and the structuring of your arguments is going to need to be improved.

- Decide what your purpose is and stick to it. In other words, are you simply a blog dedicated to posting factual news updates about the Rangers or the NHL at large? Will you also be offering opinions? Whatever you decide, be consistent.
- Lastly, I like the layout as it's simple and easy on the eyes. However, I would recommend that you re-work the opening gif as the grey font on top of the NHL logo is impossible to make out.
im thinking a little of both. its easier for me to offer opinions on ranger news since its really what i see a lot more of. id put up some news but offer opinions on anything i feel i should/can

as for the grammar mistakes, im just not a great at typing lol
hopefully ill improve with more time doing it

ive also been trying to change the layout, still trying to figure out blogspot.com a little bit

BlairBettsBlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 01:51 PM
danroy33

Great blog! I'll link it over at my site, Pucks on Broadway.

danroy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 10:10 PM
BlairBettsBlocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by danroy33 View Post
Great blog! I'll link it over at my site, Pucks on Broadway.
and ill gladly return the favor
thanks for the link

Old
08-04-2008, 11:17 PM
ruckus*

In the most non-dick way possible, why should I give a crap what any of you have to say about the Rangers? Unless you're Brooks, or Zipay, Sam, or JDel, and have inside access to this team, what good are you all to me? We can read your opinions on this message board.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 11:25 AM
danroy33

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
In the most non-dick way possible, why should I give a crap what any of you have to say about the Rangers? Unless you're Brooks, or Zipay, Sam, or JDel, and have inside access to this team, what good are you all to me? We can read your opinions on this message board.
It's a fair question. I in fact do have a little access to the NHL as I am the Copy Editor for the Blueshirt Bulletin, work with Stan Fischler, and am a blogger for The Hockey News. I am not going to pretend to be any major insider, but I am around the team quite a bit and do hear of rumblings from time to time.

Last edited by danroy33: 08-05-2008 at 11:37 AM.
danroy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 02:46 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
Since you seem to be resistant about blogging, that's sure, most of Rangers fans around the Net, who hold a blog, have nothing to offer you, and I don't think they'll miss you anyway. Of course we're not Weinman or Dellapina since we have not an exclusive access to the team and we are not the first people to spread latest news on the team. But that don't make bloggers meaningless for that reason.

We are just fans who love that team and who find in that new mean of expression blog is, something positive to do. I take my example, to which you'll answer me asap in your next post "but I don't care about your blog bla bla bla...". Well, there are probably not a lot of Rangers fans around here in France, but there are some. And even, there are not so many hockey fans anyway... I bring news or informations on the team to people who won't get them otherwise. And even sometimes they register to the site and give their opinion. And when you are a blogger, to have feedbacks from your readers is a really nice thing, some kind of satisfaction. A feeling you'll probably never know.

So ok, you will tell me my news are not coming hot, served on a tray from the locker room. I don't care. I like that, to play some kind of journalist, even if I'm probably the worst... Giving my opinion on my own site, with my own domain, with nothing to care about what people are saying etc... Blogging is a real experience, you should try. That's really nice to be able to talk/write about almost anything without being hold up. There are a lot of interesting blogs on the net outside the "official" network you mentioned, that give some great thoughts and opinion on NHL, Rangers or whatever team.

My opinion is the blogosphere is growing day after day. All blogs are linked to the others, in one way or another. That mean everyone, Weinman, Dellapina, BlairBettsBLocks or Jeff are forced to improve their blog "skills" day after day. We give our best in the way we can to make things go on. That's why blogs are great. You're not forced to be linked to only one source of information. Everyone gives his opinion. An opinion, I guess that would be quickly forgotten on a forum like this one. And I know after 10+ years of surfing on forums, there's nothing more frustrating than an opinion that is totally forgotten or even not taken in consideration... A blog is a good way to keep a trace.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 04:24 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff23 View Post
Since you seem to be resistant about blogging, that's sure, most of Rangers fans around the Net, who hold a blog, have nothing to offer you, and I don't think they'll miss you anyway. Of course we're not Weinman or Dellapina since we have not an exclusive access to the team and we are not the first people to spread latest news on the team. But that don't make bloggers meaningless for that reason.

We are just fans who love that team and who find in that new mean of expression blog is, something positive to do. I take my example, to which you'll answer me asap in your next post "but I don't care about your blog bla bla bla...". Well, there are probably not a lot of Rangers fans around here in France, but there are some. And even, there are not so many hockey fans anyway... I bring news or informations on the team to people who won't get them otherwise. And even sometimes they register to the site and give their opinion. And when you are a blogger, to have feedbacks from your readers is a really nice thing, some kind of satisfaction. A feeling you'll probably never know.

So ok, you will tell me my news are not coming hot, served on a tray from the locker room. I don't care. I like that, to play some kind of journalist, even if I'm probably the worst... Giving my opinion on my own site, with my own domain, with nothing to care about what people are saying etc... Blogging is a real experience, you should try. That's really nice to be able to talk/write about almost anything without being hold up. There are a lot of interesting blogs on the net outside the "official" network you mentioned, that give some great thoughts and opinion on NHL, Rangers or whatever team.

My opinion is the blogosphere is growing day after day. All blogs are linked to the others, in one way or another. That mean everyone, Weinman, Dellapina, BlairBettsBLocks or Jeff are forced to improve their blog "skills" day after day. We give our best in the way we can to make things go on. That's why blogs are great. You're not forced to be linked to only one source of information. Everyone gives his opinion. An opinion, I guess that would be quickly forgotten on a forum like this one. And I know after 10+ years of surfing on forums, there's nothing more frustrating than an opinion that is totally forgotten or even not taken in consideration... A blog is a good way to keep a trace.
very well said Jeff

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 04:34 PM
chosen

There are two kinds of bloggers. The first has something interesting to say or has connections or both. The second kind is everyone else who wants to feel like a mini-celebrity and talk about things like, for example, should Prucha be traded. This represents the vast majority.

Blogging isn't a bad thing. I've toyed with having one and even built one but never went anywhere else with it. Perhaps it is because my interests are primarily hockey and film and I already write about film. Perhaps I am too lazy.

Since I have no real connections in the hockey world, the only thing I could offer would be my often contrarian and condescending tones that I struggle to control here, mostly successfully.

There are an awful lot of blogs that offer nothing. There are an awful lot of blogs that are poorly written. The marketplace will weed the bad ones out and the good ones will rise. Even so, anyone expecting to turn a blog into a career should realize that the chances of that happening are probably only slightly better than making it to the NHL.

If you want to become a successful blogger, the two things you'd better be able to do are write creatively and intelligently, and yes, that includes good grammar.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Fletch

not a huge fan of blogging. I like the bantering back and forth (I'm one of those guys who can't keep his mouth shut (as evidenced by the massive amounts of posts to my credit) and as such, I need to engage in dialogue, as opposed to reading someone's view on something). I like blogs from Weinman, etc., since they'll tell me what the lineups were in practice, and other, hopefully fact-based, information on the Rangers. I do read Larry Brooks', and his peers' review of games - which may not be different than a blogger, although a blogger may have more insight, but in Brooks article I'm looking for quotes from members of the team, coaches, and possible notes that I may not have known - like Rozsival left the game in the second and didn't return and is day-to-day, or Shanny has a point in his last 5 games, etc.

So if you're going to blog, and you want people to read your blog, you need to include in your blog information people want to hear. Sure you may have great insight into the game - that's nice, but unfortunately everyone in hear may have great insight. Additionally, provide some of the information that I spoke about. Being able to provide quotes and other evidence (a youtube video dissecting a play, or what-have-you) helps too. The key is to differentiate yourself. As Chosen mentioned, you need to be creative and have good grammar. Assume that everyone else will have good grammar and that you'll be competing for eyeballs based on what you can provide.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 05:30 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
There are two kinds of bloggers. The first has something interesting to say or has connections or both. The second kind is everyone else who wants to feel like a mini-celebrity and talk about things like, for example, should Prucha be traded. This represents the vast majority.

Blogging isn't a bad thing. I've toyed with having one and even built one but never went anywhere else with it. Perhaps it is because my interests are primarily hockey and film and I already write about film. Perhaps I am too lazy.

Since I have no real connections in the hockey world, the only thing I could offer would be my often contrarian and condescending tones that I struggle to control here, mostly successfully.

There are an awful lot of blogs that offer nothing. There are an awful lot of blogs that are poorly written. The marketplace will weed the bad ones out and the good ones will rise. Even so, anyone expecting to turn a blog into a career should realize that the chances of that happening are probably only slightly better than making it to the NHL.

If you want to become a successful blogger, the two things you'd better be able to do are write creatively and intelligently, and yes, that includes good grammar.
Well said Chosen!

and I'd just like to chime in with the reason why I DO READ PEOPLES BLOGS.
Alot of those big name writers have an agenda that may not coincide with my own. Whether it be fluffy happy articles in order to keep your locker room exclusivity, or a column of constant pissing and moaning because you've found some people are just gluttons for punishments that keep coming back, its almost always about what sells and rarely about the love of the game.
I find when I read blogs from fellow fans I often read stories about things papers wont waste the column inches on and I like that.

To relate to Chosen, let me use film as an example...
I find I rarely enjoy a summer blockbuster as much as I'm expecting to...where as when I get the recommendation to watch some indie I've never heard of, I usually find myself talking about it for weeks!

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 08:50 PM
BlairBettsBlocks

Quote:
well as i said in my original post, I hope to become a hockey writer. im 17 so its not like im going to get any inside info, but i offer my opinions and have sections for comments where people can respond. The more readers i get, the better feedback i can get. Hopefully that will help me improve as a writer. If you dont want to read, fine, but please don't act like me, or any other person with a blog doesnt deserve a place to voice their opinion on things that matter to them.

Old
08-05-2008, 11:54 PM
ruckus*

Who let the french guy in?

But seriously, I understand all of you.

Old
08-06-2008, 09:25 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
To relate to Chosen, let me use film as an example...
I find I rarely enjoy a summer blockbuster as much as I'm expecting to...where as when I get the recommendation to watch some indie I've never heard of, I usually find myself talking about it for weeks!
So many great indies.

For some reason you made me think of one of my all-time favorite indies, "Happiness".

It's black comedy (my favorite genre) to the nth power. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. Great cast. After I saw it the first time I told everyone I knew that I just saw a great actor who will eventually take an Oscar. It was Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0147612/

Old
08-06-2008, 06:37 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
Who let the french guy in?
I already dropped the gloves for less than that!

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 09:04 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
So many great indies.

For some reason you made me think of one of my all-time favorite indies, "Happiness".

It's black comedy (my favorite genre) to the nth power. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. Great cast. After I saw it the first time I told everyone I knew that I just saw a great actor who will eventually take an Oscar. It was Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0147612/

I'll definately check it out, found it for 11 bucks on amazon

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 09:31 PM
cityhockeyfever

BlairBettsBlocks, nice job on getting started on a Rangers blog. I'll have to read further and then consider adding yours to my blog roll.

While I'm not an insider on writing about stories on my blog about the Rangers, the key to getting readers to read yours regularly is providing your own angle to a story and bringing up those that aren't on every single media site. That way you and myself wouldn't be rehashing the same story.

Keep up the good work.

cityhockeyfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:35 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Granted I'm a Flyers fan, so I probably won't be reading your blog anytime in the next century (sorry), think you can make up rumors like Eklund and give him a run for his money? Maybe you'll get picked up by hockey buzz...

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:37 PM
BlairBettsBlocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Granted I'm a Flyers fan, so I probably won't be reading your blog anytime in the next century (sorry), think you can make up rumors like Eklund and give him a run for his money? Maybe you'll get picked up by hockey buzz...
lol, ill keep that in mind

Old
08-07-2008, 09:18 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
I'll definately check it out, found it for 11 bucks on amazon
I've loaned it out to a couple of people who all looked at me strangely afterwards. Some love it. Some are repulsed by it. Saw it twice in the theater and both times about 1/3 of the audience walked out, 1/3 sat with an astonished look and 1/3 laughed out loud, including me. There is a great story about what went on just before it came out.

If my burner is working I could send you a copy, assuming I can find it. PM me if interested.

Old
08-07-2008, 06:16 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:

For some reason you made me think of one of my all-time favorite indies, "Happiness"
Great movie. That was back when Lara Flynn Boyle use to eat.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 11:49 PM
chosen

Here's the trailer:

http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/1624...iness/trailers

Old
08-08-2008, 12:09 AM
ruckus*

See, this is how gay non-professional blogs are. We can't even stay on topic cause' they're so gay.

Old
08-08-2008, 12:23 AM
BlairBettsBlocks

Quote:
See, this is how gay non-professional blogs are. We can't even stay on topic cause' they're so gay.
my blog is gay because other people started talking about movies?

Old
08-08-2008, 12:32 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocks View Post
my blog is gay because other people started talking about movies?

hey, it could be worse.

Old
08-08-2008, 05:28 AM
chosen

Quote:
hey, it could be worse.
Yeah, it could be dickway.