HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey News Article Excerpt - Teams that could Suprise!

Old
08-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Thunderheart

vCash: 500
Hockey News Article Excerpt - Teams that could Suprise!

Rory Boylen excerpt from Hockey News article:

"Here are a few teams who I think could achieve more than is expected of them this season:

Florida Panthers: I’ve ripped on them in this space before – and until the front office does something smart, I’m sure I’ll do it again – but the potential is still there for the Panthers to rise.

You’ve got to think that, one of these years, Nathan Horton will meet the expectations of being a No. 3 overall draft pick. While he has not impressed and actually stalled his point production at 62 points last season, Horton could be ready for a 70- to 75-point campaign. If he can meet this goal and if incoming offensive catalyst Cory Stillman can kick-start Stephen Weiss, the Panthers could generate more than the pathetic 216 goals they scored last season.

There is no question the defense is deeper. New coach Peter DeBoer needs to realize what this team has and use it, instead of looking at what this team could/should be and try to be that. If the Panthers employ a shutdown defense – backed by one of the league’s best stoppers in Tomas Vokoun – they could be this year’s Boston Bruins, in that they squeeze into the playoffs on the back of their system and hungry young players."

Strange finding an article that actually does not totaly crap on the Cats!!
Thunderheart

Thunderheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 09:11 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

Wow! An actual article about our team that's POSITIVE and understands what most of us fans see. I just didn't think it was possible

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

That's exactly the team I've been comparing us to from last season all summer long. We can be this year's Bruins. Who says THN has lost it's luster! Right on the money.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 12:04 AM
VAiN*
Infractions are bad.

Wow, someone thinks we might not suck. I feel better now.

VAiN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 06:22 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
Wow, someone thinks we might not suck. I feel better now.
It was like finding a needle in a haystack. LMAO

Still, it's refreshing to get a little good press about the upcoming season.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
It was like finding a needle in a haystack. LMAO

Still, it's refreshing to get a little good press about the upcoming season.
You watch - this season which is the first in which most Panthers fans will be pessimistic going into it, this guy will turn out to be right...

08-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
You watch - this season which is the first in which most Panthers fans will be pessimistic going into it, this guy will turn out to be right...

That's what I think every year. One of these years I'm bound to be right.

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Acadmus

Most of us think every year that the team looks good on paper and has a realistic chance of making the playoffs.

Every year we're disappointed.

This year most of us think the roster lacks scoring and are looking at this year's top draft prospects...so if the pattern holds true we're looking at another Stanley Cup Finals appearance

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 12:29 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Most of us think every year that the team looks good on paper and has a realistic chance of making the playoffs.

Every year we're disappointed.

This year most of us think the roster lacks scoring and are looking at this year's top draft prospects...so if the pattern holds true we're looking at another Stanley Cup Finals appearance
That's why I've gone to the dark side - every year I get excited and end up disappointed. I really believe last 2 years we shoulda/coulda have made the playoffs but you just get the feeling that the team is cursed. The injuries are just a lack of luck and we got hit hard by them, but we also buried ourselves early with slow starts. I can't blame JM for the re-signings of Pelts & Stump after nearly missing the playoffs 2 years ago to keep that chemistry going into last year.

But what I think we've consistently lacked is a dynamic impact player. Not even Jokinen qualified as that. If you look at the top teams in the playoffs last year each one of them had impact guys, and topping it off was Detroit & Pitt with arguably the 2 most talented rosters in the league. We, IMO, just don't have enough talent throughout our lines to do anything beyond sneak into the 7th or 8th spot then lose to the Pitts, NYR, etc. of the Eastern Conference.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Kikizaz

You know what is funny, Every single year they say the exact same thing about florida. This could be printed in 2005 for with just a few changes to names.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
That's why I've gone to the dark side - every year I get excited and end up disappointed. I really believe last 2 years we shoulda/coulda have made the playoffs but you just get the feeling that the team is cursed. The injuries are just a lack of luck and we got hit hard by them, but we also buried ourselves early with slow starts. I can't blame JM for the re-signings of Pelts & Stump after nearly missing the playoffs 2 years ago to keep that chemistry going into last year.

But what I think we've consistently lacked is a dynamic impact player. Not even Jokinen qualified as that. If you look at the top teams in the playoffs last year each one of them had impact guys, and topping it off was Detroit & Pitt with arguably the 2 most talented rosters in the league. We, IMO, just don't have enough talent throughout our lines to do anything beyond sneak into the 7th or 8th spot then lose to the Pitts, NYR, etc. of the Eastern Conference.
I think it's better - as a fan - to become completely disimpassioned about the team, such as I have

This way I can see the reasons to be optimistic about the season and the reasons to be pessimistic about the season, and be fairly objective about it. There's no absolutes here. **** happens, and it can lead to the team being very good - after all, key players either underachieved or stagnated in development last season...but the most likely result right now is they'll be very bad as they've lost key scoring in Jokinen (who also wasn't trying very hard the second half) and given up two veteran character guys in Montador and Cullimore who turned in very good seasons for the team in what was otherwise a bad year. Then there's the wildcards of prospects Frolik, Matthias, and Repik, Ellerby...the uncertain future of Jay Bouwmeester...how will Stillman perform? And despite all the bad from last year - which included a ton of injuries that saw the team leading the league in man games lost again, including from a freak accident - the team only missed the playoffs by 6 points...but they also couldn't win when they had to.

Too many variables to take a concrete stance either way at this point. So whatever happens, happens.

Old
08-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Bure1096

Send a message via AIM to Bure1096
well excuse us mr. BC.

After reading the article I still don't have high hopes for this year. I think Matthias and Frolik make the team but that will be the only excitement. I do feel that the locker room is better, but there maybe some problems in there that will kill our season.

Bure1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure1096 View Post
well excuse us mr. BC.

After reading the article I still don't have high hopes for this year. I think Matthias and Frolik make the team but that will be the only excitement. I do feel that the locker room is better, but there maybe some problems in there that will kill our season.
I'm actually the opposite - I think our locker room is a bit worse, but there's a possibility variables come up right there to save the season. On paper, this doesn't look like a playoff team to me. But I know what expectations are for certain players, and if they live up to projections suddenly they DO look like a playoff team.

But up to now they haven't lived up to projections, so I'm kinda hoping for a miracle.

Old
08-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Typical Bruins
Let's GO Bruins!

Adding to the positiveness of this thread...

As a Bruins fan, I wish you guys the best of luck in the fight for the playoffs and that 8th seed

Typical Bruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Bure1096

Quote:
I'm actually the opposite - I think our locker room is a bit worse, but there's a possibility variables come up right there to save the season. On paper, this doesn't look like a playoff team to me. But I know what expectations are for certain players, and if they live up to projections suddenly they DO look like a playoff team.

But up to now they haven't lived up to projections, so I'm kinda hoping for a miracle.
I was more or less conveying that with jokinen gone, we can have a better influence on the ice, in the locker room and charity events. All we have had the past... 5 or so years is potential... its time to cash in- in a year or 2.

Old
08-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Haj

vCash: 50
Quote:
I was more or less conveying that with jokinen gone, we can have a better influence on the ice, in the locker room and charity events. All we have had the past... 5 or so years is potential... its time to cash in- in a year or 2.
I'm sure the better environment at charity events will be an adequate replacement for the 35 goals we are losing. All this Jokinen bashing is based on rumor, innuendo, and a lack of production after he nearly killed a teammate. This is the classic HFBoards reaction: "We traded a star player...lets blame him.....its not the organizations fault for being horrendous." No one wants to be a fan of an organization led by an owner who has the decision-making skills of Pol Pot.

Last edited by Haj: 08-07-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 03:20 PM
39ontheline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haj View Post
I'm sure the better environment at charity events will be an adequate replacement for the 35 goals we are losing. All this Jokinen bashing is based on rumor, innuendo, and a lack of production after he nearly killed a teammate. This is the classic HFBoards reaction: "We traded a star player...lets blame him.....its not the organizations fault for being horrendous." No one wants to be a fan of an organization led by an owner who has the decision-making skills of Pol Pot.
I love you.

39ontheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
That's well and good, but ignoring the fact that some people on this board have been questioning Jokinen's leadership frequently over the past three years. So it's a bit incorrect to be so dismissive out of hand.

I'm not entirely in their camp, though my suspicions are that the "rumor, innuendo" part is correct in gauging why Olli's production tailed off for so long and why he didn't even seem to be trying. But aside from that, he did have long stretches prior to the Zednik incident and for each of the past three years where he was not producing much, and certainly was only consistent in one season (when he got 91 points). It was that 91 point season that finally convinced me Olli was a good captain at that point, personally, but I can see where it wouldn't convince everyone.

Old
08-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Bure1096

if you couldn't see there were problems before the incident you may want to see an optometrist. Jokinen while leading the panthers again this season conducted in a manor that wouldn't allow this team to be in the play-offs. You say "classic reaction", star players are held accountable because they are seen as leaders. If they don't obtain the team goal they will be blamed. I do think there was something more to this Jokinen and JM thing but it was clear who was winning the war as time went on. Jokinen should have been stronger than that. Put his personal feelings to the side and bring this team to the promise land (and I'm not talking about the zednik incident).

Old
08-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
You fail to see while many of us defended Olli, it became increasingly clear that it was time for this team and Olli to have a change in scenary. How's that not clear? Especially with Cohen choosing to keep Martin on board? Especially with the way Olli floated out there when the playoffs were on the line and after he was challenged by Cohen. Again, how was him holding the record not enough to make him play harder than he ever has before? And don't tell me he wasn't floating, I was at the last two home games and saw it in person.

And again, those of you who make light of the golf event only do so because you didn't pay for it. If you had, you would have been upset. You're ONLY making light of it because of that. It was lame, I'm surprised none of you are usuing this against Martin somehow.

What did the team win with Olli in his tenure here? What? What is there to show? was it all Olli's fault, clearly not, but he had the opportunity to take the team on his shoulders and carry it into the playoffs or at least play hard. He didn't. That's not clear to any of you? I guess not since that would mean that you'd be OK with anything this team has done.

Last edited by Acadmus: 08-07-2008 at 04:49 PM. Reason: sarcasm is just exacerbating things here
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Haj

Quote:
if you couldn't see there were problems before the incident you may want to see an optometrist. Jokinen while leading the panthers again this season conducted in a manor that wouldn't allow this team to be in the play-offs. You say "classic reaction", star players are held accountable because they are seen as leaders. If they don't obtain the team goal they will be blamed.
Jokinen is not an Ovechkin or a Crosby. He is not the best goal scorer, shut down forward, or best playmaker. He is merely an above average player who is good at many things but excels at none. Beyond that, no single player in Jokinen's place could have rectified all of Florida's deficiencies. Why is it that Jokinen gets excoriated for having a subpar last 1/3 of the season and Zednik is not held accountable for scoring 3 goals in 1/2 a season ?

Furthermore, why are fans judging Jokinen on 1/3 of a season instead of his full body of work as a Panther ? This would be akin to someone judging you solely on the worst 5% of your life. Its incredibly short sighted to run a star out of town because of 5% of his career. However, this is exactly what happened.

Quote:
I do think there was something more to this Jokinen and JM thing but it was clear who was winning the war as time went on. Jokinen should have been stronger than that. Put his personal feelings to the side and bring this team to the promise land (and I'm not talking about the zednik incident).
I disagree with you on this point. Why should Jokinen receive all the blame here ? JM is the General Manager. Its his responsibility to iron out differences of opinion. If Jokinen's and JM's "differences" (no one knows what they could have been) were ironed out, Jokinen could have stayed and perhaps Bouwmeester would have signed a long term deal. Instead JM traded the face of the franchise who signed a 5 year deal and at one point wanted to remain in Florida.

Old
08-08-2008, 05:40 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Jokinen is not an Ovechkin or a Crosby. He is not the best goal scorer, shut down forward, or best playmaker. He is merely an above average player who is good at many things but excels at none. Beyond that, no single player in Jokinen's place could have rectified all of Florida's deficiencies. Why is it that Jokinen gets excoriated for having a subpar last 1/3 of the season and Zednik is not held accountable for scoring 3 goals in 1/2 a season ?
Because Zednik wasn't there at the end when the team pulled within 6 points of a playoff berth (they were only 2 points out at one point) and Olli producing at the level he's capable of would have definitely resulted in the reversal of at least 3 close losses, if not more. Which means the Panthers would have made the playoffs for the first time in 8 years. If Olli had continued scoring at the rate he's capable, he'd have had another career year and surpassed his previous 91 point record.

But it all boils down to whether Olli did it intentionally or was just really shaken by the Zednik injury. Everyone has their own opinion, and no one will know for sure because Olli won't ever publically admit to either. So it's pretty useless to argue about it.

Old
08-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Haj

Quote:
Because Zednik wasn't there at the end when the team pulled within 6 points of a playoff berth (they were only 2 points out at one point) and Olli producing at the level he's capable of would have definitely resulted in the reversal of at least 3 close losses, if not more.
I don't see a difference between losing games at the start or end of a season. They all count equally.

Old
08-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
I don't see a difference between losing games at the start or end of a season. They all count equally.
Not when you're the team captain, are looked upon for leadership, have vocally and publically complained about not making the playoffs and how much you want to, and are almost completely absent when your team is close to actually achieving their quest and your additional scoring power can make the difference between winning and losing close games at crucial times.

Zednik had a rough start - well, to be honest most of us didn't think he was a brilliant signing to begin with and had low expectations. Olli on the other hand was coming off a 91 point season and was expected to lead this club. He didn't.

And as I said, it will likely never be concretely proven either way why he didn't. So I'm not passing judgement - just stating a fact.

Last edited by Acadmus: 08-08-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old
08-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
So it's OK for Olli to have floated out there, then? I mean, since Zednik hadn't scored a goal in 20 games prior to his being injured it makes Olli's streak OK? And who's giving Zednik any slack? He was popped just as hard on here as anyone else over that stretch. He missed almost 30 games and went down when he and the team was getting hot. How much did that play into everything?

All the losses were bad, none are good, obviously. The whole team is responsible for it, the whole team gets the knock for it, though, it's hard to knock the guys like Booth who put a ton of effort into their game.

I've not said much here about Bouw, but he was the one guy on the ice for every one of those late goals. He's also the first guy out of the zone on a turnover, meaning that when we got the puck back, there was noone there at the point. For our top defenseman, there were some obvious times when he was lacking as well.

You guys think we've only knocked Olli (which has happened for longer than many of you realize), but we've also knocked just about everyone else on this team who wasn't giving 100% out there. From Mezei and Salei for their penalties to Stumpel, Olli, and Horton for their lazy play. Seems many are more sensitive to the Olli talk now since he's gone.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote