HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

tendinitis?

Old
07-28-2008, 07:51 PM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

vCash: 500
tendinitis?

Ok, I know asking here isn't the greatest place to ask for medical support. However, some of you may have experience with Tendonitis.

About a month ago, I fell on the ice without my glove on (fell off mid-play) and unfortunately landed on my wrist. The base of my thumb got freakin huge and swollen and felt tougher than leather. Anyway, I thought nothing of it like I usually do with injuries because I'm an idiot (i.e. 3 concussions and a broken wrist not being treated until weeks after it happens) but I iced it when I got home and saw the inflammation go down. Over the next week, I had alot of sharp pain when lifting things and even typing on the computer. Now, a month + later, I still have the same pain in my wrist when lifting things and shooting and what not and the pain has traveled to my elbow and I've even felt some pains in my shoulder. On top of this, the swelling hasn't really gone down mcuh after the first night of icing it.

So my questions are these:

1) Is it tendinitis or something else causing this?
2) Is it possible for tendinitis to "travel" to other parts of the injured appendage?
3) What's the best way to treat this?
4) How much of an idiot am I for continuing to play almost daily after the initial injury and not seeking help until now?

edit: for clarification, when I say travel I mean can a problem with one tendon lead to problems with tendons on the same appendage. I don't mean a physical tear expanding or some sort of alien tendinitis causing creature moving up my arm.

Last edited by SeanL44: 07-28-2008 at 07:56 PM.
SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 08:04 PM
evgeni71

I'm not gonna answer all of your questions because I haven't really had that much experience with tendinitis other than having it in both my shoulders. I usually just go to my physiotherapist whenever my shoulder starts acting up. I always ice it after a hard practice or when it starts acting up.

evgeni71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 08:29 AM
stick9

Tendinitis isn't caused by a fall, it's a a repetitive motion injury.

The problem in your elbow and shoulder is most likely caused by compensating for the injury to you hand/thumb.

Since it hasn't gotten better and is now affecting other areas, it's time to seek medical attention.

My rule of thumb regard injuries is - how much does it hurt, and is it getting better. If the pain is excessive, I don't fart around. I go right to the doctor. If pain really isn't an issue but the injury doesn't seem to be getting better. I'll go to the doctor and have it checked.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 09:42 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Tendonitis is from overuse.

Pitchers get tendonitis. Kayakers get tendonitis in their shoulders/hips. (Pick me! Pick me!)

Go get it checked out. I did that and I ended up spraining my wrist.

07-29-2008, 03:45 PM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

From what I read on webmd, Tendinitis can be caused by repetitive motion or sudden impacts... regardless, I'll be making an appointment to go see my doctor.

Thanks

Old
07-29-2008, 05:41 PM
MikeD

I had something much the same. The pad of the thumb (area below the last knuckle) swelled up to almost triple its normal size. Diagnosis was tendinitis. The remedy was anti-inflammatories for ten days and a brace (worn 24/7) for almost 6 weeks. I then had to take it real easy with that hand for another month. Tendinitis can recure very easily if it is not 100% healed. Repeated set backs from returning to normal use early can cause a chronic condition.

Absolutely see your doctor and in the mean time, if there is no swelling you can apply heat as much as you like, for as long a duration as you like. A damp towel microwaved makes a great moist heat pad. Ice with any noticed swelling, limited to 15 minutes of ice on, 15 minutes off or the body reacts with a hypothermic response, reducing blood flow to the area(not desirable). 1 cup of rubbing alcohol mixed with 3 cups water, doubled ziplock baggie, placed in the freezer makes a great ice pack/slushie that forms to any body part needing iceing. Heat will increase blood flow to the area, speeding healing. If swelling is present, heating will INCREASE inflammmation of the area.

The wrist braces found at the local drug store can help you out prior to getting to your doctor. Select one that has the THUMB SPICA to limit use of that area specifically. You would want to limit the use of that hand, particularly when sleeping. Sucks but not wearing it while sleeping will severely increase recovery time.

Last edited by MikeD: 07-29-2008 at 05:46 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 03:06 PM
nuckss

It's possible that you fractured your hamate (SP?) bone or the hook of the hamate. I did that once and the usual x-rays don't pick it up. The orthorpedic doctor figured it out and ordered the proper x-ray angles and sure enough, the tip was broken off. Just took a few weeks ensuring I didn't jar it to heal although I always tape up the wrist now.

nuckss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 10:20 AM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

In case anyone wants an update, I'm going to get an MRI on monday... It seems I severly busted my nerve and will probably remain numb under my thumb/palm area for the rest of my life (kinda cool... means I can still play at least).

However, the doctor prodded me in some place on my hand that I can't seem to find and the pain was like an 8 on the 1-10 scale... apparently there is a bone you can break in your hand that doesn't show up on x-rays, only MRIs, and doesn't limit your hand movement but if it doesnt get fixed quickly its detrimental, he said I could be in a cast for 6 months, which means missing my whole season!

Doesn't explain the elbow and shoulder hurting though, I guess those could be other injuries.