HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008-2009 is NOT Montreal Canadiens' 100th season!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-08-2008, 12:45 PM
  #1
Daniel Bigras
 
Daniel Bigras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
2008-2009 is NOT Montreal Canadiens' 100th season!

Iím baffled.

I just cannot believe that so many paid journalists are making this ridiculous mistake! A mistake done by most major media, even by the Montreal Canadiens themselves!


The 2008-2009 season will NOT be the Montreal Canadiensí 100th season!


The Club de Hockey Canadien was founded on December 4th 1909. Therefore, on December 4th 2009, the Montreal Canadiens will celebrate their 100th anniversary. On that fact, everyone agrees, no mistakes are made.

December 4th 2009 will occur during the 2009-2010 season, not during the 2008-2009 season. Therefore 2009-2010 will be the 100th anniversary season, not 2008-2009.

Why are we rushing it? Why so many Facebooks group are created? Why so much focus on 2008-2009 when it should be next season?

Are we eager to say: ďHey, Montreal, Happy 100th and letís be done with it!Ē?

Yes, 2009 is the centennial year, the year where the 100th anniversary will occur, but it has NOTHING to do with the 2008-2009 season.

On October 10th 2008, Montreal will start their 99th season, not their 100th.

Did we forget that we lost a season in 2004-2005? Therefore, Montreal will start their 100th season next year, in October 2009.

In a way, itís better like this, because 2009-2010 will be the 100th season celebrating Montrealís 100th anniversary.

So, letís get the facts straight.

2008-2009 is the Montreal Canadiensí 99th season.

2009 is the centennial year, because Montreal will celebrate their anniversary on December 4th 2009.

2009-2010 will be Montrealís 100th season.

Sorry to burst so many bubbles.

The logo 25 for 100 will have to be changed to 25 for 99 or postponed until next year.

This also implies that there shouldn't any fuss made about the fact that Montreal is not getting an outdoor game this season; it should occur next season, and I hope it does!


Examples of these mistakes:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...8/CPSPORTS0101
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/255799.html
http://lcn.canoe.ca/lcn/sports/nouve...05-122505.html
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/...iens_schedule/
http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?s...ticleid=345366

Daniel Bigras is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 01:26 PM
  #2
El Wama
Registered User
 
El Wama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Gatineau
Country: Canada
Posts: 674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Bigras View Post
I’m baffled.

I just cannot believe that so many paid journalists are making this ridiculous mistake! A mistake done by most major media, even by the Montreal Canadiens themselves!


The 2008-2009 season will NOT be the Montreal Canadiens’ 100th season!


The Club de Hockey Canadien was founded on December 4th 1909. Therefore, on December 4th 2009, the Montreal Canadiens will celebrate their 100th anniversary. On that fact, everyone agrees, no mistakes are made.

December 4th 2009 will occur during the 2009-2010 season, not during the 2008-2009 season. Therefore 2009-2010 will be the 100th anniversary season, not 2008-2009.

Why are we rushing it? Why so many Facebooks group are created? Why so much focus on 2008-2009 when it should be next season?

Are we eager to say: “Hey, Montreal, Happy 100th and let’s be done with it!”?

Yes, 2009 is the centennial year, the year where the 100th anniversary will occur, but it has NOTHING to do with the 2008-2009 season.

On October 10th 2008, Montreal will start their 99th season, not their 100th.

Did we forget that we lost a season in 2004-2005? Therefore, Montreal will start their 100th season next year, in October 2009.

In a way, it’s better like this, because 2009-2010 will be the 100th season celebrating Montreal’s 100th anniversary.

So, let’s get the facts straight.

2008-2009 is the Montreal Canadiens’ 99th season.

2009 is the centennial year, because Montreal will celebrate their anniversary on December 4th 2009.

2009-2010 will be Montreal’s 100th season.

Sorry to burst so many bubbles.

The logo 25 for 100 will have to be changed to 25 for 99 or postponed until next year.

This also implies that there shouldn't any fuss made about the fact that Montreal is not getting an outdoor game this season; it should occur next season, and I hope it does!


Examples of these mistakes:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...8/CPSPORTS0101
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/255799.html
http://lcn.canoe.ca/lcn/sports/nouve...05-122505.html
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/...iens_schedule/
http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?s...ticleid=345366
1909-1910 was the first season..
1910-1911
1911-1912
1912-1913
1913-1914
1914-1915
1915-1916
1916-1917
1917-1918
1918-1919 was the 10th season.

You have to do this 10 times, and you'll see that it will be in 2008-2009 will be the 100th season..

El Wama is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 01:27 PM
  #3
Nobak
Registered User
 
Nobak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,334
vCash: 500
If you want to nitpick, we lost at least 2 seasons that I know of during that century so...

Nobak is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 01:28 PM
  #4
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Bigras View Post
Iím baffled.

I just cannot believe that so many paid journalists are making this ridiculous mistake! A mistake done by most major media, even by the Montreal Canadiens themselves!


The 2008-2009 season will NOT be the Montreal Canadiensí 100th season!


The Club de Hockey Canadien was founded on December 4th 1909. Therefore, on December 4th 2009, the Montreal Canadiens will celebrate their 100th anniversary. On that fact, everyone agrees, no mistakes are made.

December 4th 2009 will occur during the 2009-2010 season, not during the 2008-2009 season. Therefore 2009-2010 will be the 100th anniversary season, not 2008-2009.

Why are we rushing it? Why so many Facebooks group are created? Why so much focus on 2008-2009 when it should be next season?

Are we eager to say: ďHey, Montreal, Happy 100th and letís be done with it!Ē?

Yes, 2009 is the centennial year, the year where the 100th anniversary will occur, but it has NOTHING to do with the 2008-2009 season.

On October 10th 2008, Montreal will start their 99th season, not their 100th.

Did we forget that we lost a season in 2004-2005? Therefore, Montreal will start their 100th season next year, in October 2009.

In a way, itís better like this, because 2009-2010 will be the 100th season celebrating Montrealís 100th anniversary.

So, letís get the facts straight.

2008-2009 is the Montreal Canadiensí 99th season.

2009 is the centennial year, because Montreal will celebrate their anniversary on December 4th 2009.

2009-2010 will be Montrealís 100th season.

Sorry to burst so many bubbles.

The logo 25 for 100 will have to be changed to 25 for 99 or postponed until next year.

This also implies that there shouldn't any fuss made about the fact that Montreal is not getting an outdoor game this season; it should occur next season, and I hope it does!


Examples of these mistakes:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...8/CPSPORTS0101
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/255799.html
http://lcn.canoe.ca/lcn/sports/nouve...05-122505.html
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/...iens_schedule/
http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?s...ticleid=345366
YOU ARE THE WEAKEST LINK. GOODBYE!

and to think of all the time you wasted putting this post together. You could have been playing Dungeons & Dragons or Doom

shutehinside is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 01:28 PM
  #5
Kel-El
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Ah no you're making a counting error. The 1909-1910 season was their first season not their zero season. Example I was born in '83 So I turn 25 in 2008..but if I was celebrating my 25th year it should have been in 2007, because we count birthdays on years completed not started

Kel-El is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 01:28 PM
  #6
The n00b King ©*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Scatbox-less :(
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKiZO[X] View Post
1909-1910 was the first season..
1910-1911
1911-1912
1912-1913
1913-1914
1914-1915
1915-1916
1916-1917
1917-1918
1918-1919 was the 10th season.

You have to do this 10 times, and you'll see that it will be in 2008-2009 will be the 100th season..
I think he's talking about the lockout.

The n00b King ©* is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 01:30 PM
  #7
El Wama
Registered User
 
El Wama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Gatineau
Country: Canada
Posts: 674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
I think he's talking about the lockout.
The lockout year counted for a season, but without play.

Ask Todd Bertuzzi.

El Wama is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 01:32 PM
  #8
JFB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Quebec city
Posts: 701
vCash: 500
The season when Martin Rucinsky was our best scorer with 49 points should not count either

JFB is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 01:36 PM
  #9
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
YOU ARE THE WEAKEST LINK. GOODBYE!
,I miss that show

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 01:36 PM
  #10
CH4
Registered User
 
CH4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicoutimi
Posts: 1,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKiZO[X] View Post
The lockout year counted for a season, but without play.

Ask Todd Bertuzzi.
good one

But there 1 year if I remember correctly that it was cancelled due to war... not 100% sure tho

CH4 is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 01:42 PM
  #11
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500

Myron Gaines* is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 01:43 PM
  #12
Joey
Registered User
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
As far as I know its not being touted as the 100th SEASON but the 100th YEAR of existence....could be wrong

Joey is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 01:51 PM
  #13
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,310
vCash: 50
Count 'em.

(The lockout still counts)

Bill McNeal is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 01:53 PM
  #14
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,153
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
DUH!!! Fail math? This thread should be nuked...

Player 61 is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 01:56 PM
  #15
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,379
vCash: 500
I know one thing though, that's why we shouldn't make a big thing out of not getting the outdoor game this year. Since the official birthday is December 2009, how about we close this ceremonial with an outdoor game in December of the season 2009-2010?

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 01:58 PM
  #16
zzoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
As far as I know its not being touted as the 100th SEASON but the 100th YEAR of existence....could be wrong
No, the coming season is 100th. It started in 1909
1909-1910: 1st season
1910-1911: 2nd season

Number of season = the current year - 1909 + 1 = 2008 - 1909 + 1 = 100.

Out of curiosity, was NHL active during World War I and II ?


Last edited by Beakermania*: 08-08-2008 at 02:06 PM.
zzoo is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 02:04 PM
  #17
Joey
Registered User
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
No, the coming season is 100th. It started in 1909
1909-1910: 1st season
1910-1911: 2nd season

Number of season = the current year - 1909 + 1 = 2008 - 1909 + 1 = 100.
yeah but im talking to the nitpickers who think lockout seasons should be subtracted from age

just because your in a coma doesnt mean you arent getting older!

Joey is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 02:05 PM
  #18
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobak View Post
If you want to nitpick, we lost at least 2 seasons that I know of during that century so...
We only lost 1 season.... The 2004-05 lockout year is the only season that has ever been cancelled in the NHL... and is the only season the Montreal Canadiens did not play.

Hockey went on through the World Wars and the other lockout only cost 1/2 season.

One Stanley Cup Final was cancelled because of the flu enfluenza and Montreal and Seattle were tied at 2-2-1 (they had ties in those days)... but the season was still played. Since this was 1919 and the NHL didn't get full control of the Stanley Cup until 1926, the Montreal Canadiens should still be considered the NHL Champions for that season, but not Stanley Cup Champs. Seattle would be WHL Champs (the old WHL, the pro league which was not restricted to junior age players).

And that folks is your history lesson of the day.

Beakermania* is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 02:08 PM
  #19
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,460
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Makes me laugh that you write this huge post and you are wrong....ouch.

beowulf is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 02:10 PM
  #20
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,236
vCash: 500
Gainey publicly said he would consider next year to be Montreal 100th season, and that he didn't give a **** about the lockout nor any other calculation that would say otherwise.

It has absolutely nothing to do with journalists collectively making a mistake, and everything to do with the habs management willing to set a specific year for the event and stick with it for very obvious reason.

Consider the Y2K celebrations. Sure, officially the new century began in 2001 and not a day before, but it didn't stop (almost) all the countries in the world to celebrate January 1st 2000 instead, because it was way more convenient this way, purists be damned.

Goldthorpe is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 02:13 PM
  #21
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Bigras View Post
Iím baffled.

I just cannot believe that so many paid journalists are making this ridiculous mistake! A mistake done by most major media, even by the Montreal Canadiens themselves!


The 2008-2009 season will NOT be the Montreal Canadiensí 100th season!


The Club de Hockey Canadien was founded on December 4th 1909. Therefore, on December 4th 2009, the Montreal Canadiens will celebrate their 100th anniversary. On that fact, everyone agrees, no mistakes are made.

December 4th 2009 will occur during the 2009-2010 season, not during the 2008-2009 season. Therefore 2009-2010 will be the 100th anniversary season, not 2008-2009.

Why are we rushing it? Why so many Facebooks group are created? Why so much focus on 2008-2009 when it should be next season?

Are we eager to say: ďHey, Montreal, Happy 100th and letís be done with it!Ē?

Yes, 2009 is the centennial year, the year where the 100th anniversary will occur, but it has NOTHING to do with the 2008-2009 season.

On October 10th 2008, Montreal will start their 99th season, not their 100th.

Did we forget that we lost a season in 2004-2005? Therefore, Montreal will start their 100th season next year, in October 2009.

In a way, itís better like this, because 2009-2010 will be the 100th season celebrating Montrealís 100th anniversary.

So, letís get the facts straight.

2008-2009 is the Montreal Canadiensí 99th season.

2009 is the centennial year, because Montreal will celebrate their anniversary on December 4th 2009.

2009-2010 will be Montrealís 100th season.

Sorry to burst so many bubbles.

The logo 25 for 100 will have to be changed to 25 for 99 or postponed until next year.

This also implies that there shouldn't any fuss made about the fact that Montreal is not getting an outdoor game this season; it should occur next season, and I hope it does!


Examples of these mistakes:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...8/CPSPORTS0101
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/255799.html
http://lcn.canoe.ca/lcn/sports/nouve...05-122505.html
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/...iens_schedule/
http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?s...ticleid=345366
Good grief. It is the 100th year of the teams existence. Count the years.

As for years where there were no games: Are you suggesting the team ceased to exist?

JrHockeyFan is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 02:14 PM
  #22
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,236
vCash: 500
Amusing fact: in the beginning of the 20th century, the forward pass was not allowed in hockey (just like the forward pass isn't allowed in american football today). It's only after a few years that they finally change the rules to allow it. Just imagine how different the game must have been before.

Goldthorpe is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 02:26 PM
  #23
Daniel Bigras
 
Daniel Bigras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
I am NOT wrong.

2004-2005 does NOT count as a season.

Get your facts straigth.

Daniel Bigras is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 02:29 PM
  #24
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,153
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Bigras View Post
I am NOT wrong.

2004-2005 does NOT count as a season.

Get your facts straigth.
The team did not cease operations that year!!!!

Player 61 is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 02:29 PM
  #25
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater Ghost View Post
DUH!!! Fail math?


well said. When i read the title I immediately knew he made that mistake.

Pascal is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.