HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008-2009 is NOT Montreal Canadiens' 100th season!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-08-2008, 02:31 PM
  #26
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,321
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Bigras View Post
I am NOT wrong.

2004-2005 does NOT count as a season.

Get your facts straigth.
Well, while you're sitting in your basement, closing your eyes and plugging your ears, the rest of us will be celebrating the Habs' centennial.

Bill McNeal is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 02:33 PM
  #27
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Bigras View Post
I am NOT wrong.

2004-2005 does NOT count as a season.

Get your facts straigth.
So 1919?



How bout the half season of the lockout in 1995? does that count for 1/2?


So is this really only the 98 and 1/2th year?

AD is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 02:35 PM
  #28
Nashy
The Honey Badger
 
Nashy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,914
vCash: 500
Okay Neuman you can have your own Millenium party, we'll have ours.

Nashy is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 02:35 PM
  #29
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,159
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
It's the Centennial of the Habs existence, if that helps you!

Player 61 is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 02:36 PM
  #30
Montrealer
Registered User
 
Montrealer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chambly QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Bigras View Post
Sorry to burst so many bubbles.
You remind me of those people who were railing against celebrating New Year's Eve 2000 and stayed home while people had the party of a lifetime. What's worse is that those people were at least technically right; your only valid point is that it will be the 99th season played by the team, but since the team, the NHL, and 99.9% of fans will be celebrating the 100th year of the team's existence, you're a pretty lone voice trying to convince everyone over to your point of view.

To paraphrase, sorry to burst your bubble, but nobody cares about your argument.

Montrealer is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 02:37 PM
  #31
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Bigras View Post
I am NOT wrong.

2004-2005 does NOT count as a season.

Get your facts straigth.
The team won't postpone for an entire year all its events related to the centennial just because we had a lockout a few seasons ago. These things must be planned in advance; for example, we are getting the All-Star game AND the draft this season, not next year. You just can't change that at the last minute. They won't scrap it all just because a few anal-retentive purists don't like it.

Goldthorpe is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 02:39 PM
  #32
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,582
vCash: 500
The habs will have been found for 100years. Whether they played 4seasons since or 99, they'll have been around for 100years.

Yes, the Canadiens themselves, along all hockey specialist got it all wrong and were just so anxious to celebrate the coming centennial year that they forgot to double-check. Even the NHL didn't verify that fact and it's a pure coincidence MTL will be hosting the All-Star game in 08-09.
They're wrong and a teenage internet forum poster living at his parent's place got it right.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 02:40 PM
  #33
Bullsmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,125
vCash: 500
Most embarrassing thread I've ever seen. So much work to arrive at so little understanding.

It's the team's 100th year.

Bullsmith is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 02:40 PM
  #34
Artyukhin*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
one thing for sure i wont be here for the Habs 200 th season .

Artyukhin* is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 02:42 PM
  #35
Artyukhin*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Bigras View Post
Iím baffled.

I just cannot believe that so many paid journalists are making this ridiculous mistake! A mistake done by most major media, even by the Montreal Canadiens themselves!


The 2008-2009 season will NOT be the Montreal Canadiensí 100th season!


The Club de Hockey Canadien was founded on December 4th 1909. Therefore, on December 4th 2009, the Montreal Canadiens will celebrate their 100th anniversary. On that fact, everyone agrees, no mistakes are made.

December 4th 2009 will occur during the 2009-2010 season, not during the 2008-2009 season. Therefore 2009-2010 will be the 100th anniversary season, not 2008-2009.

Why are we rushing it? Why so many Facebooks group are created? Why so much focus on 2008-2009 when it should be next season?

Are we eager to say: ďHey, Montreal, Happy 100th and letís be done with it!Ē?

Yes, 2009 is the centennial year, the year where the 100th anniversary will occur, but it has NOTHING to do with the 2008-2009 season.

On October 10th 2008, Montreal will start their 99th season, not their 100th.

Did we forget that we lost a season in 2004-2005? Therefore, Montreal will start their 100th season next year, in October 2009.

In a way, itís better like this, because 2009-2010 will be the 100th season celebrating Montrealís 100th anniversary.

So, letís get the facts straight.

2008-2009 is the Montreal Canadiensí 99th season.

2009 is the centennial year, because Montreal will celebrate their anniversary on December 4th 2009.

2009-2010 will be Montrealís 100th season.

Sorry to burst so many bubbles.

The logo 25 for 100 will have to be changed to 25 for 99 or postponed until next year.

This also implies that there shouldn't any fuss made about the fact that Montreal is not getting an outdoor game this season; it should occur next season, and I hope it does!


Examples of these mistakes:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...8/CPSPORTS0101
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/255799.html
http://lcn.canoe.ca/lcn/sports/nouve...05-122505.html
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/...iens_schedule/
http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?s...ticleid=345366
do you know WILDONE26 by anychance?

Artyukhin* is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 02:44 PM
  #36
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,576
vCash: 500
Sad because I like "Dan Bigras" the artist.

AD is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 02:45 PM
  #37
CH4
Registered User
 
CH4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicoutimi
Posts: 1,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
We only lost 1 season.... The 2004-05 lockout year is the only season that has ever been cancelled in the NHL... and is the only season the Montreal Canadiens did not play.

Hockey went on through the World Wars and the other lockout only cost 1/2 season.

One Stanley Cup Final was cancelled because of the flu enfluenza and Montreal and Seattle were tied at 2-2-1 (they had ties in those days)... but the season was still played. Since this was 1919 and the NHL didn't get full control of the Stanley Cup until 1926, the Montreal Canadiens should still be considered the NHL Champions for that season, but not Stanley Cup Champs. Seattle would be WHL Champs (the old WHL, the pro league which was not restricted to junior age players).

And that folks is your history lesson of the day.
Thanks, that is what I was looking for...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I know one thing though, that's why we shouldn't make a big thing out of not getting the outdoor game this year. Since the official birthday is December 2009, how about we close this ceremonial with an outdoor game in December of the season 2009-2010?

Great idea!, it would be an awesome way to finish the centennial!

CH4 is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 02:56 PM
  #38
RussCourtnallsGhost
Registered User
 
RussCourtnallsGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
Okay Neuman you can have your own Millenium party, we'll have ours.

RussCourtnallsGhost is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 03:16 PM
  #39
Peacock
Registered User
 
Peacock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 891
vCash: 500
I know the celebrations are for the 100th anniversary of the club and I understand that the lockout season still counts as a season.

But isn't he right that the 100th season will be 2009-2010? If the canadiens were founded on December 4th 1909 then 100 years later = December 4th 2009 and that's in the 2009-2010 season isn't it?

Honest question here, I could be missing something.

Peacock is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 03:19 PM
  #40
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4THECUP View Post
Thanks, that is what I was looking for...





Great idea!, it would be an awesome way to finish the centennial!
Its also a great argument to use when someone tries to say that our first cup shouldn't count because it was before the NHL.

We have 24 Stanley Cups and 24 NHL Championships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
I know the celebrations are for the 100th anniversary of the club and I understand that the lockout season still counts as a season.

But isn't he right that the 100th season will be 2009-2010? If the canadiens were founded on December 4th 1909 then 100 years later = December 4th 2009 and that's in the 2009-2010 season isn't it?

Honest question here, I could be missing something.
count them... its the 101st season.

Your hundreth birthday is the end, not the beginning of your hundreth year on earth. You start at year 0

Beakermania* is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 03:30 PM
  #41
Peacock
Registered User
 
Peacock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Your hundreth birthday is the end, not the beginning of your hundreth year on earth. You start at year 0
Ohh ok I get it, my bad. Thanks!

It's a bit confusing though, as usually we celebrate the completed previous year as opposed to the year that is currently taking place.

For example, when someone asks me my age I don't say "I'm in my 23rd year" I say "I'm 22"

That's why I find it a bit odd, that's all.

Peacock is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 03:33 PM
  #42
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
Ohh ok I get it, my bad. Thanks!

It's a bit confusing though, as usually we celebrate the completed previous year as opposed to the year that is currently taking place.

For example, when someone asks me my age I don't say "I'm in my 23rd year" I say "I'm 22"

That's why I find it a bit odd, that's all.
True. But that's why its being called the "centennial celebration".

The Habs will be 100 years old in December 2009. But at that time, they'll be in their 101st year.

AD is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 03:36 PM
  #43
Clumsyhab
Registered User
 
Clumsyhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Bigras View Post
I am NOT wrong.

2004-2005 does NOT count as a season.

Get your facts straigth.
It's OK to be wrong, but I hate it when someone knows he's wrong and still argues.

Clumsyhab is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 03:39 PM
  #44
Peacock
Registered User
 
Peacock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
True. But that's why its being called the "centennial celebration".

The Habs will be 100 years old in December 2009. But at that time, they'll be in their 101st year.
I agree

In any case, should be a blast. I hope I'll be able to get tickets to the all-star skills competition

Peacock is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 03:43 PM
  #45
MoonlightGraham
Registered User
 
MoonlightGraham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,474
vCash: 500
Since the Canadiens were founded in December 1909, their 100th year will be from December 2008 to December 2009, and the Club will be exactly 100 years old in December 2009. The celebrations with the draft and the All-Star game and whatnot will take place during the 100th year of existence of the Club.

I do agree there should be an outdoor game in December 2009 around the date of the 100th anniversary. Great idea, hopefully Boivin and Gillette are thinking about that as well.

MoonlightGraham is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 04:22 PM
  #46
Dr. Charles
Registered User
 
Dr. Charles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cracktown
Country: Canada
Posts: 733
vCash: 500
I'm with you here buddy.
You convinced me.
Everybody is wrong

By the way, I believe in the existence of sasquatchs and that you can find a pot of gold under every rainbow.

Dr. Charles is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 04:29 PM
  #47
tollb2
Registered User
 
tollb2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Regina, sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanetzz View Post
You should go to hell for telling us lies like this!!!

tollb2 is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 05:07 PM
  #48
Turbo
Registered User
 
Turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Greys section 325
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,198
vCash: 500
The lesson here is that math is hard as zeros are difficult to understand. How can nothing be something?

Turbo is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 05:11 PM
  #49
Madevilz
Registered User
 
Madevilz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 3,272
vCash: 500
oh man... this thread fails on so many levels

Madevilz is offline  
Old
08-08-2008, 05:12 PM
  #50
Gustave
Registered User
 
Gustave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Here
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 2,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
The lesson here is that math is hard as zeros are difficult to understand. How can nothing be something?
Have you ever seen a math teacher demonstrate that 0 = 1? Pretty serious stuff.

BTW, don't ask me to demonstrate it to you, it's not my shtick.

Gustave is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.