HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mccabe might be willing to waive.

Old
08-08-2008, 10:13 PM
chef223

vCash: 500
Mccabe might be willing to waive.

Check out this article on faceoff.com. The last line scares me about how Fletcher feels he will won't get back value for Bryan and will have to take back salary with some players. This is the first actual article that states that Mccabe is softening his stance, and I'm curious what team he would be willing to play for .

chef223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

You could link us to said article

Edit: ah screw it, here it is

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Kamina
Amok

Oh lawd.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Fletcher, denied McCabe had been bullied into accepting a move. Instead, he suggested that a change in scenery would benefit both the Leafs and McCabe, who is coming off back-to-back substandard seasons.
Back to back? He had a bad year this year, but had 15 goals and 57 points the year before...

Old
08-08-2008, 10:30 PM
chef223

First off glad to read an actual article from a real source the National Post. Secondly, it's good to see that Bryan is finally considering waiving his NTC. I'm assuming the teams are going to be the usuals Anaheim, Pittsburgh, Detroit , Rangers all those teams have no salary space and minus Anaheim , let the Schneider for Mccabe rumors start, are already full defensively. The odd comment from Fletcher is that he figures he will have to take back similar salary from a team for Bryan, and at 6 million there aren't many players who fit that bill.

Old
08-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
McCabe would be a perfect fit for L.A., too bad he wouldn't waive his NMC for L.A.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 10:40 PM
mkearney913
Bob Ross

Oh my god, freak the **** out, Bryan McCabe may or may not waive his NTC!!!!!!!!!! Start pissing yourself Leaf Land, McCabe may move depending on who would like his services...that makes only him and (almost) every player in the NHL with an NTC at this moment, right?

mkearney913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
McCabe would be a perfect fit for L.A., too bad he wouldn't waive his NMC for L.A.
That would be an interesting combination, because LA has to spare exactly what Toronto needs (youth and picks)

Old
08-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Sneekypete

Has Value is still dog%^ if he will only accept a trade to a couple teams.Low end 2nd round pick would be max but I am seeing more of a 3rd or 4th.

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 10:50 PM
chef223

I see Anaheim trying to ship off Schneider, SJ Marleau, NJ for either Elias or Gionta, and if all the TB crap has any legs whatsoever then mabye for St. Louis. Keep in mind as a Leaf fan I don't really want any of these players I want prospects and picks , but I think that a team will trade to move an upcoming UFA to boot in any trade.

Old
08-08-2008, 10:51 PM
chef223

By the way Boyle waived for two teams as well SJ and Ottawa and his value I believe was better then dog *****.

Old
08-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef223 View Post
I see Anaheim trying to ship off Schneider, SJ Marleau, NJ for either Elias or Gionta, and if all the TB crap has any legs whatsoever then mabye for St. Louis. Keep in mind as a Leaf fan I don't really want any of these players I want prospects and picks , but I think that a team will trade to move an upcoming UFA to boot in any trade.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 10:57 PM
chef223

What are u nodding your little head about Gionta is a UFA next year, and Fletcher said himself he will have to take back similiar salary. That is 5.75 million coming back and I know that Mccabe is everyone's whipping boy , but look at his stats and you will see he is as good as Boyle, Jovo and many other comparable d-men. My guess is that Philly wants Mccabe and ships out Hatcher and one of Hartnell or Knuble, or Washington makes his list and they dump Nylander on toronto with a prospect.

Old
08-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
That would be an interesting combination, because LA has to spare exactly what Toronto needs (youth and picks)
Doesn't mean the Kings would give up anything of real value for Mcabe.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Doesn't mean the Kings would give up anything of real value for Mcabe.
Must not be that much of a "perfect fit" then eh?

Old
08-08-2008, 11:16 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

I continue to believe that McCabe's trade value is going to be even lower than the worst case scenarios speculated on here. His short list is likely to be very small, limited to playoff teams, and maybe to teams in the east. Of those teams, only a small number are likely to have the cap room and need a dman, and of the teams who meet those criteria few will be willing to take a player with a NMC.

This is going to be another one of those situations where the contract issues speak louder than the player's abilities (because no matter what people on this board think - McCabe remains a quality two-way dman).

08-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef223 View Post
What are u nodding your little head about Gionta is a UFA next year, and Fletcher said himself he will have to take back similiar salary. That is 5.75 million coming back and I know that Mccabe is everyone's whipping boy , but look at his stats and you will see he is as good as Boyle, Jovo and many other comparable d-men. My guess is that Philly wants Mccabe and ships out Hatcher and one of Hartnell or Knuble, or Washington makes his list and they dump Nylander on toronto with a prospect.
This is all perfectly reasonable.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 11:23 PM
albathegreat*

Quote:
Fletcher does not expect to get much value back in return for a defenceman who scored five goals and 23 points in 54 games last season.

"With him dictating where he wants to go, probably not much," said Fletcher. "We will probably have to take back a matching contract and some players in the deal."
This is confusing, whats the point in getting rid of him? He is useful and way better than people paint him on these boards.

There must be something that will help Toronto if they want to deal him, not just a contract for contract.

albathegreat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
I continue to believe that McCabe's trade value is going to be even lower than the worst case scenarios speculated on here. His short list is likely to be very small, limited to playoff teams, and maybe to teams in the east. Of those teams, only a small number are likely to have the cap room and need a dman, and of the teams who meet those criteria few will be willing to take a player with a NMC.

This is going to be another one of those situations where the contract issues speak louder than the player's abilities (because no matter what people on this board think - McCabe remains a quality two-way dman).
I was under the impression that if he waived it, it became null for the remainder of the contract?

Old
08-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
I don't know about the two-way aspect, McCabe leaves a lot to be desired defensively. But if he can regain his offensive form than he's a solid PP QB who provides a lot of grit and physical play. I'm in the minority here, but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing the Canucks pick up McCabe and then moving Bieksa for a forward who could play in the top 6. That could still leave the Canucks with $4M or so to add another forward at some point and the Canucks could afford to use McCabe in a less defensive role while having him as fixture on the PP. But if McCabe was playing less minutes, say 20-22 a game instead of the 26/game he's getting with Toronto, and against lesser opponents he could be a solid player.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 11:29 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
I was under the impression that if he waived it, it became null for the remainder of the contract?

Not true (but I can't blame you at all for thinking that).

If a NMC/NTC is active at the time of a trade, the new team inherits the clause even if the player waived it to allow the trade.

if the NMC/NTC is not yet active (as in the case of L. Vishnovsky), the new team does not have to honor the clause.

In McCabe's case, the clause is active, and even if he waives it to allow the trade, it remains a feature of his contract.

Old
08-08-2008, 11:29 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I don't know about the two-way aspect, McCabe leaves a lot to be desired defensively. But if he can regain his offensive form than he's a solid PP QB who provides a lot of grit and physical play. I'm in the minority here, but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing the Canucks pick up McCabe and then moving Bieksa for a forward who could play in the top 6. That could still leave the Canucks with $4M or so to add another forward at some point and the Canucks could afford to use McCabe in a less defensive role while having him as fixture on the PP. But if McCabe was playing less minutes, say 20-22 a game instead of the 26/game he's getting with Toronto, and against lesser opponents he could be a solid player.
I'm not going to imply that this is the case with you, but most HF posters simply say this because of the few big noticeable bads by McCabe (own-goal in Buffalo, OT giveaway to Komi in MTL...etc). Personally, I think McCabe is a the very least average defensively.

Old
08-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by albathegreat View Post
This is confusing, whats the point in getting rid of him? He is useful and way better than people paint him on these boards.

There must be something that will help Toronto if they want to deal him, not just a contract for contract.
So true. Excellent offensive skills, OK defensive skills, and solid physical play. Very useful player.

Old
08-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Not true (but I can't blame you at all for thinking that).

If a NMC/NTC is active at the time of a trade, the new team inherits the clause even if the player waived it to allow the trade.

if the NMC/NTC is not yet active (as in the case of L. Vishnovsky), the new team does not have to honor the clause.

In McCabe's case, the clause is active, and even if he waives it to allow the trade, it remains a feature of his contract.
Ah, thats what it was then. Thanks for clearing that up.

(and rats it doesn't help the Leafs any )

Old
08-08-2008, 11:31 PM
abracanada

Taking salary back does not specifically mean getting one salary back either. It could be several players in a package. And if you can believe Fletcher, the players coming back would not be great acquisitions, more like salary dumps as well. I know it was rumored and I could see the Flames giving up an Aucoin and another player for him. He would make a great partner for Phaneuf.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote