HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best non-Cup winning Habs team you can recall?

Old
08-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Russeltown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
The 2000-2001 team
Peanut

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Netro

In 79-80, LaFleur got injured in Round 1 vs. Hartford. It was a knee on knee hit, I believe in the offensive zone. Might have been by Pat Boutette. He was never the same player after that hit.

IMO, and I have only been watching since the late 70s but that 1989 club was terrific. Even better then the cup winning team of 1986. I was at Game 6 in '89 and it was a tough pill to swallow.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

I was born in 1989. My mom watched the disappointment for me.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 12:00 PM
dcyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
But its strength was in net (Wamsley, Sevigny, Herron)
I think the reason no team from 80-84 should be considered is that Wamsley and Sevigny (don't remember Herron) were sieves. The defense was really strong, the goaltending was really weak. It became obvious when guys like Steve Penney and Doug Soetart put up stellar numbers a little later but had no success elsewhere. With an adequate goaltender those teams could have done some damage in the playoffs.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 09:48 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

I was born is '93 so in my hockey memory (watching since like '00) probably 07-08 Habs lol

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post
I think the reason no team from 80-84 should be considered is that Wamsley and Sevigny (don't remember Herron) were sieves. The defense was really strong, the goaltending was really weak. It became obvious when guys like Steve Penney and Doug Soetart put up stellar numbers a little later but had no success elsewhere. With an adequate goaltender those teams could have done some damage in the playoffs.
I meant regular-season wise. But upon second thought, they were just products of the system. Hell, when the Habs D became weak after 1994, even Roy began to look very ordinary.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 11:10 AM
CrisisInMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
Man I feel sorry for guys of your age. You haven't seen any good hockey in played in Montreal your entire life until last season.
I'm 21 and I sort of look at it in 2 different ways. On one hand, you're right we've basically seen the Habs put together a brutal team, year after year. (I remember abit from the 93 run and going to the parade, but I wasn't able to appreciate the whole thing, but it did kickstart an amazing love for hockey)

In a way though, it's kind of a blessing. This season was a blast, I don't take for granted the wins like some previous generations might have. Also when we do win our next cup (not if but when) is it ever going to be sweet. After growing up watching those terrible teams, getting booed on home ice in the early days of the Molson Centre, the season ending losses to Ottawa and Toronto and not to mention all the teams that didn't even have a sniff at the playoffs it will all taste that much sweeter.

And, NOBODY can accuse me of being a bandwagoner. I grew up during the darkest days of the franchise when everyone became Colorado and Detroit 'fans' and I never wavered. You stick with your team, no matter what.

CrisisInMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 08:58 PM
dzd ncnfzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
You stick with your team, no matter what.
[/B]

+1*.......

To answer the original question... My greatest disapointment was 1967....Guys, have you forgotten that greatest humiliation? Expo '67 year and all that? Thats the year we should have won. (I was only 12 but I remember it well)

dzd ncnfzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 09:57 PM
dcyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
I meant regular-season wise. But upon second thought, they were just products of the system. Hell, when the Habs D became weak after 1994, even Roy began to look very ordinary.
I think the D was underrated so they did not notice how bad the goaltending was. I could be mistaken, I was pretty young back then.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Office View Post
I'm 21 and I sort of look at it in 2 different ways. On one hand, you're right we've basically seen the Habs put together a brutal team, year after year. (I remember abit from the 93 run and going to the parade, but I wasn't able to appreciate the whole thing, but it did kickstart an amazing love for hockey)

In a way though, it's kind of a blessing. This season was a blast, I don't take for granted the wins like some previous generations might have. Also when we do win our next cup (not if but when) is it ever going to be sweet. After growing up watching those terrible teams, getting booed on home ice in the early days of the Molson Centre, the season ending losses to Ottawa and Toronto and not to mention all the teams that didn't even have a sniff at the playoffs it will all taste that much sweeter.

And, NOBODY can accuse me of being a bandwagoner. I grew up during the darkest days of the franchise when everyone became Colorado and Detroit 'fans' and I never wavered. You stick with your team, no matter what.
As one of the Habs fans from this same generation, I gotta say this is one of the best posts ever on this board.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 09:18 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
As one of the Habs fans from this same generation, I gotta say this is one of the best posts ever on this board.
I'm there with you all. It sucked growing up with a bunch of Leafs fans while their team was doing well and we were in the dark days. But now is it ever sweet. But, I don't say anything, I just enjoy my team and they are the ones who make the jokes on themselves so I don't have to.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 01:22 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Can't wait to hear from mcphee about the great teams of the 20s that lost.

I had this discussion with my Dad not so long ago, and he said 75 was the biggest disappointment because they just couldn't get it done on the road. Look at the scoreline over the series:

Code:
Series J                      W  L   GF   GA
  Buffalo Sabres              4  2   21   29
  Montreal Canadiens          2  4   29   21

Apr 27    Montreal Canadiens   5   6  at Buffalo Sabres  00:04:42 OT
  Apr 29    Montreal Canadiens   2   4  at Buffalo Sabres
  May 1         Buffalo Sabres   0   7  at Montreal Canadiens
  May 3         Buffalo Sabres   2   8  at Montreal Canadiens
  May 6     Montreal Canadiens   4   5  at Buffalo Sabres  00:05:56 OT
  May 8         Buffalo Sabres   4   3  at Montreal Canadiens

Buffalo Sabres win series 4 games to 2
Wiseacre. I'll go with 67 as the most disapointed I've ever been. Losing to the Leafs just hurt so much. Guys like Conacher scoring key goals. Bower and Sawchuck with a combined age in 3 figures.

75 was a team that should've won,imo, they just hadn't reached the point where guys like Robinson could take over and impose themselves on the game the way they soon would. I was in Vancouver and the way they played against Buffalo made me think that th eteam might see some big changes. I thought Lemaire might get dealt and Pollock would look to go tougher. Remember, Lemaire hadn't grabbed the spot on the Lafleur line yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Office View Post

The first hf get together, a friend was with me and we were just casually listening to some of the young guys talk. It sort of dawned on us that our histories were different, what we'd seen was different and they couldn't have the same attitudes.

The fact that I've seen them win often, allows me to enjoy the team more as I'm not desperate in the 'just once before I die' way that Red Sox fans were a few years back.

You make good points.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 08-10-2008 at 08:08 PM.
mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote