HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

► Free Agents Even More Expensive Next Season (KHL)

Old
08-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
Plekanec, Zherdev, Afinogenov, and Antropov are "kinda bad"? What warped twlight zone assed scale are you living by? lol

edit: unless you mean itd be kinda bad if they left?
You're second thought is what he meant.

Silas Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 10:50 PM
dybbuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500 View Post
Playing infront of 17,000 of which most are suits or getting to play infront of real fans. What sound like more fun?
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan View Post
I never said they could.. I'm saying the teams with the highest average attendance in europe probably has around 13.000 on a good night...

I found a list with some numbers on arena capacity and what not..

according to this list, there are 55 arenas in europe that takes 10.000 or more..

http://www.hockeyarenas.net/?page=0300
Sorry, my bad, I thought you had both those posts. And I don't want to get into an argument over how great euro fans are compared to NA fans.

dybbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 11:03 PM
I Hate You All*

Send a message via AIM to I Hate You All* Send a message via Yahoo to I Hate You All*
In KHL, price drives up YOU.

I Hate You All* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Playing infront of 17,000 of which most are suits or getting to play infront of real fans. What sound like more fun?

And since I'm a Caps fan I have to post a video with Caps fans.

I don't see anybody with suits on.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I don't see anybody with suits on.
And while we're at it, what's wrong with wearing a suit? Some prefer to like the way they look. Maybe some people want to look classy while watching a game they love? I smell a lot of anti-suit partisanship on this board of jersey-wearers.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Brownies

Quote:
Haha, yea, big screens with pulsating light and loud music always seam to get north americans pumped up for a few seconds.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/arrogance

Brownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 01:26 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownies View Post
And proud of it.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Brownies

Quote:
And proud of it.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/acceptance

Brownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Muscle Bob

I actually agree that NHL fans are different from European. Just because the NHL hockey is show and people go there just like they go to cinema, etc. In Europe (at least in Russia) it's not much of a show so only fans who understand and like hockey go there. Though in playoffs there appear a lot of "wow-hockey-is-cool" fans who don't know a thing about hockey but visit games because it's playoff time and it's cool to be at hockey.

Muscle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Hey cool, we're making generalizations about people we've never met and places we've never been.

I hear that when they go to hockey games in Israel, everyone throws their shoes at the ref. Why? It is a mystery.

Old
08-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Muscle Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post
Hey cool, we're making generalizations about people we've never met and places we've never been.

I hear that when they go to hockey games in Israel, everyone throws their shoes at the ref. Why? It is a mystery.
Well I told you why I think so. Don't you agree that hockey in N.A. is a show? And some people go there to have fun like they could have at a party or in cinema?

Old
08-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Bob View Post
Well I told you why I think so. Don't you agree that hockey in N.A. is a show? And some people go there to have fun like they could have at a party or in cinema?
Literally tens of millions of completely unique people (persons) will go to hockey games in North America this year, and it will be foolishness for anyone, including me, to presume to know their motivations.

Guess what, tens of millions of completely unique European people (Euro persons) will go to hockey games, would I claim to understand their feelings when they pay their kroner or whathaveyou?

Old
08-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Muscle Bob

Quote:
Literally tens of millions of completely unique people (persons) will go to hockey games in North America this year, and it will be foolishness for anyone, including me, to presume to know their motivations.

Guess what, tens of millions of completely unique European people (Euro persons) will go to hockey games, would I claim to understand their feelings when they pay their kroner or whathaveyou?
You can clearly see how attendance is increasing when some good player joins the team. It can be Ovechkin and Washington or Jagr and Omsk. The attendance will increase. But with what fans? With the ones who go to watch only Ovechkin and Jagr and not hockey as sport (if they liked hockey before why hadn't they visited games before?).

Old
08-09-2008, 02:12 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Im not here to bash either fan base in europe and NA, just wanna throw my two cents out here. I consider myself a great hockey fan, and I assume most people on these boards consider themselves great fans as well, as more of the hardcore fan people join message boards.

When Im at a hockey game, I cheer a decent amount, but I don't cheer the whole game and here is the reason why. I like to follow the game and watch it intensely and closely, I think what these pro's do is just amazing at the speed and level they do it. I think the crowd really is awesome when it comes to european atmosphere, but just speaking for myself, I dont want to be singing the whole game, I would rather watch more intently. And I know that european fans watch the game intently too, im not saying they don't.

During the actual action of a Sens playoff game live, im usually white knuckled as is, and have that nervous butterfly pit of your stomach feeling during the game. I cheer as much as possible, but a lot of the time im a nervous wreck, that includes at home too.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Quote:
You can clearly see how attendance is increasing when some good player joins the team. It can be Ovechkin and Washington or Jagr and Omsk. The attendance will increase. But with what fans? With the ones who go to watch only Ovechkin and Jagr and not hockey as sport (if they liked hockey before why hadn't they visited games before?).
A good player means the team is more talented means the team is more likely to win games means fans may be more interested in watching their team. Maybe they don't have fans of teams in Europe, they only have fans of the sport of hockey.

Personally, I like hockey, but I prefer my favorite team.

Old
08-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Muscle Bob

Quote:
A good player means the team is more talented means the team is more likely to win games means fans may be more interested in watching their team. Maybe they don't have fans of teams in Europe, they only have fans of the sport of hockey.

Personally, I like hockey, but I prefer my favorite team.
I don't consider "fans more interested in watching their team when their team wins" as true fans. These are just gloryhunters.

Old
08-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Quote:
I don't consider "fans more interested in watching their team when their team wins" as true fans. These are just gloryhunters.
I would consider not wanting to spend hundreds of dollars for a negative result and experience to simply be economical.

Old
08-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Muscle Bob

Quote:
I would consider not wanting to spend hundreds of dollars for a negative result and experience to simply be economical.
And? They are still gloryhunters. I hate them. Stupid idiots who are leaving games when there is 5 minutes left and their team is travelling by 5 goals. And of course you can not expect to see them on the next game because the team is on a cold streak. But you will see them chanting "Go {team} Go" on the arena as only the team gets on a hot streak. It just proves my point of view - they need a show. If there is a show (=team wins) they visit games, if there is no show (=team looses) they visit parties.

Old
08-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Killiecrankie*

Quote:

If I wanted to go to a rave, or be in the pit at a concert I would do those things.

When I am at an NHL game, I want to watch NHL hockey, not dance in the stands and push each other in the stands (watch the guy in the white hoody in the lower middle, horrendous). I fail to see why those are "real" fans? If I was an NHL player I would want to play in front of 20,000 suits who spend 150$+ a ticket rather than a bunch of screaming fans who pay significantly less.

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 03:19 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Gaborik's agent, for example, is already shopping him in Russia.

I'll bet top-dollar that Kovalchuk is going to do the same. (He already did the Russian money song and dance for his current contract.)

Other significant free agents that will use the KHL to pry more money out of their NHL teams (who may or may not afford it):

► Kovalev
► Afinogenov
► Kopitar
► Plekanec
► Fedorov
► Kozlov
► Havlat
► Lang
► Spacek
► Antropov
► Satan
► Fedotenko
► Reinprecht
► Gerber
► Zherdev
► Prucha
► Bonk
► Zednik
► Dvorak

I'd expect quite a few of these players to be gone from the NHL next summer. And a couple of them will be really big names.

So what is the NHL going to do to stop the talent drain? As it is, a 30 team league is watered down quite a bit.

It seems that we're gradually going back towards pre-glasnost days as far as NHL talent is concerned. The Cold War is back. (Unless the KHL is overrated as a money source.)
In your whole post, you mention a mere handful of players that aren't easily replaceable.

Gaborik
Kovalchuk
Plekanec
Kopitar
Zherdev
Maybe Antropov, Havlat (if he could ever stay healthy) and Afinogenov (if he can get back to his 06/07 form).

The KHL will definitely bring in some better talent, I think that's a given. Gaborik is just exploring his options right now because he wants to get out of Minnesota. But the NHL has a bunch of younger talent that is just as good as, if not better than much of the outgoing talent that you mention. Most of those players are third liners, aging veterans or has-beens.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 03:24 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Im not here to bash either fan base in europe and NA, just wanna throw my two cents out here. I consider myself a great hockey fan, and I assume most people on these boards consider themselves great fans as well, as more of the hardcore fan people join message boards.

When Im at a hockey game, I cheer a decent amount, but I don't cheer the whole game and here is the reason why. I like to follow the game and watch it intensely and closely, I think what these pro's do is just amazing at the speed and level they do it. I think the crowd really is awesome when it comes to european atmosphere, but just speaking for myself, I dont want to be singing the whole game, I would rather watch more intently. And I know that european fans watch the game intently too, im not saying they don't.

During the actual action of a Sens playoff game live, im usually white knuckled as is, and have that nervous butterfly pit of your stomach feeling during the game. I cheer as much as possible, but a lot of the time im a nervous wreck, that includes at home too.
I feel exactly the same.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 05:41 PM
TOML

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Is this supposed to be headline news?

I mean - the cap is going to go up next year (even if revenues don't grow, the players have an option to bump it 5% - that's just about $90m across the league), there will be the same number of roster spots and more money available to spend filling them.

More money + same number of players = more expensive players.
Yeah...

But what about the KHL?

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 06:15 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
And? They are still gloryhunters. I hate them. Stupid idiots who are leaving games when there is 5 minutes left and their team is travelling by 5 goals. And of course you can not expect to see them on the next game because the team is on a cold streak. But you will see them chanting "Go {team} Go" on the arena as only the team gets on a hot streak. It just proves my point of view - they need a show. If there is a show (=team wins) they visit games, if there is no show (=team looses) they visit parties.
I dont know how big cities are where you are talking about, but its only practical in LA to leave Staples Center early so that you dont get caught in traffic like those poor saps (I mean dedicated fans)

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Yeah...

But what about the KHL?

If I was a GM and a player was using the KHL in negotiations I would walk away and let him play in the 2nd best league in the world. If he wants to use the KHL to his advantage then he can go play in that league.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Hyperkookeez*

if players want to leave the nhl for more money then w/e. as long as the elite dont leave the nhl is fine and of that list only 2-3 would be considered borderline elite.

if the khl wants to offer exorbitant contracts and potentially handicap their owners then all the power to them

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote