HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Maltese Neck Guards

Old
07-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Headcoach

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Maltese Neck Guards

I did a review on this product for an international forum and I thought that you guys might be interested in the results.

I would this neck guard the other day that is made by Maltese. It said that it was made out of a space age material, that I was kind of intrigued, so I went out and bought one. Just to see if what they said was true.

Low and behold, I got the product and when I put it on, it was the most comfortable neck guards that I have ever put on. When I bent you head to look in either direction or look down at the puck, the neck guards did not sick me in my collar bone like most neck guards do.

Here, check out thses two videos first...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT4Pe...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjoByuFt1_8&NR=1

Ya, right about now you are saying that both of these were flukes and this could never happen to you. I say why mess with fate. You see this type of thing happen, all the time.

Did you know that it takes 2.5 minutes to bleed out and that doesn't include you skating at full speed for the 20 minutes. You could bleed out in under 45 seconds!

Is there a hospital next to your rink? The average aid unit takes 5 to 10 minutes to get to your rink or location. By that time, you will be gone!

You can check out these custom made neck guards here:
http://www.maltesehockey.com/

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 663
I use one - takes a while to get used to, but it's not too bad. And when I took a knee to the head the other day and the skate blade came about a foot from my neck, I was glad that I had it.

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
I use one - takes a while to get used to, but it's not too bad. And when I took a knee to the head the other day and the skate blade came about a foot from my neck, I was glad that I had it.
Was it a Maltese neck guard?

Head coach

Old
07-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

Yes.

Old
07-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
I never worse a neckguard. We had to when I was playing AAA...so my dad picked up one of the maltese ones.

Last year I was on the bottom of a scrum and got up...and my jersey was sliced up and there was a huge mark on my cage.

Apparently, I got the golaie and defenseman's skate in the chest/neck. And just a small cut in the neckguard.

The ref thought that I was done.

07-23-2008, 03:22 PM
melubsdonna

i use one when i play goalie. its awesome, i dont even feel it and it doesnt make me hot at all. its all gel and super comfortable.

melubsdonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 05:55 PM
Heat McManus

Their Bodega listing is interesting. Not exactly the usual business practice, but ok.

I'm also not sure what the naked woman has to do with neck guards, but again I'm ok with it.

Id see about selling them, but at $42 per guard, I don't see them selling very well. People will just by-pass them and pick up the NikeBauer or A&R neckguard for $15.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 09:03 PM
Headcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Their Bodega listing is interesting. Not exactly the usual business practice, but ok.

I'm also not sure what the naked woman has to do with neck guards, but again I'm ok with it.

Id see about selling them, but at $42 per guard, I don't see them selling very well. People will just by-pass them and pick up the NikeBauer or A&R neckguard for $15.
Well, the hot chic on the main page sure caught your attending and if you as me...sex sells. Look at the commercials you see on TV about shaving cream. Women in bathing suits with containers strapped to their backs, spraying shaving cream on huge hairs. Where's the logic in that? But, yep, sex sells!

As for the $42 per guard. I think this comes into the cost of a custom product. The stuff you get from Nike/Bauer is kind of like a cookie cutter, where one size fits all.

Where as, this neck guard come custom fit and embroidered with whatever you want put on it. I'm not sure Nike/Bauer will do this for you or at this price. Plus, this one is actually comfortable, unlike the one from Nike...just a thought!

Head coach

Old
07-23-2008, 10:08 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

I thought the sexy lady on the front page was mad anorexic at first. Until I realized the best part was just up in the air.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Headcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorme View Post
I thought the sexy lady on the front page was mad anorexic at first. Until I realized the best part was just up in the air.
Ya...sucks doesn't it! I know, dirty old man.

Head coach

Old
07-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Ti-girl

MEN!

*insert exasperated sigh*

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 10:18 PM
deanosaur

hellll yeahhh

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 11:35 PM
Philip Maltese

Hello to the "Board" and thanks for having me Mr. Admin!

I would have been here sooner, but I just now got done reading the list of do's & don'ts.

First let me start off by saying that if anyone has any questions whatsoever regarding any of my products please feel free to ask me.

"The girl" was a choice I made in an effort to be less uptight like others in my industry. As hockey players we like a wide range of things beyond hockey and I'm no different. You also notice that there are car and cycle galleries and other stuff not necessarily related to hockey. If I had my way, all my products would be modeled by attractive women. So ladies, don't be hatin' because I have a woman on my home page--we men adore and respect women.

Like Headcoach pointed out, we're talking custom item here and an effective one too. Comfortable and what other single neck guard can protect you from impacts and lacerations? Of course I realize most have not even seen one let alone wear one. Obviously, some of you here have and understand. If you think $42 is a lot for a Collar, then don't look at the Combo. However, many customers that took the time to share their own stories with me, can not put a price on coming away uninjured from an impact. And if you ever took one to the collarbone, you'd know what I mean. These products exist because I got hurt while playing and I've tested them all myself. if it doesn't work, I'm not going to make it available for the public.

In conclusion, I'm no faceless entity, I'm a small operation that places emphasis on real protection and not just another junk product for you to buy so I can get your money. My name goes on my products and for me to sleep at night, I try to provide to everyone the kind of protection I would want.

PM

Philip Maltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 12:29 AM
BlackAces
Play Your Game

^^^???

Well I've never not worn a neck guard while playing hockey so i don't know what a comforable or uncomforable neck guard would feel like :p $42 a pop isn't bad considering that most people only buy 1 or 2 neckguards total so it would be worth it if the protection is that good.

BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

Welcome, Philip!

I took a deflection to the neck last night and I publicly thanked your product.

Old
07-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Philip Maltese

Thank you for the welcome Dr. No. One of my Favorite James Bond movies!

Does my heart good to know that it works as intended!

I think when things like that happen, it builds one's confidence in a product that allows one to be more aggressive.

Philip Maltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Ti-girl

I agree.

I have both the lace bite pads and the neck guard. Neck guard saved my life at one of our AAA tournaments. Got on the bottom of a scrum and got skated over by one of their big defenseman.

Shredded my jersey and cut my shoulder pad, but just had a small cut in the neckguard. I was winded pretty badly, but the ref saw my jersey shredded and assumed I was cut so the trainer came over. But I'm okay!

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 02:54 PM
Heat McManus

I never said they weren't a good product, or good idea, just that from experience, I don't see people grabbing them off the shelves too often at the price they are at. I don't think they are over-priced, I'm sure the retail numbers are fair when factoring the customization and such.

As for the girl, I'm all for it. But if you're going that route, you should be aware of some of the backlash companies such as Warrior has received within the industry from using sex to sell.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 03:16 PM
Headcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
I never said they weren't a good product, or good idea, just that from experience, I don't see people grabbing them off the shelves too often at the price they are at. I don't think they are over-priced, I'm sure the retail numbers are fair when factoring the customization and such.

As for the girl, I'm all for it. But if you're going that route, you should be aware of some of the backlash companies such as Warrior has received within the industry from using sex to sell.
It's all good. I just wanted to bring up the point of their cost in the customization.

To be honest, originally when I started thinking about designing my web site, sex appeal did cross my mind. It was just hard to wrap a hockey drill around a naked body. However, that was back in 1998 when I started, and back them, they didn't have Flash. Maybe I should revisit that. .......

Head coach

Old
07-25-2008, 03:38 PM
frito

while I've owned a neck guard for years, I never wore it. After Zednik's inceident this year I began wearing it religiously. I have always made my kids wear theirs.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 05:14 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Personally I'm not into it, but from the engineering point of view (graduated from Rutgers!) I have to say this is a really good idea.

Philip, can you please private message me the filed patent number, I'd like to read up on it.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 07:50 PM
MikeD

Playing at Cazanovia Park, South Buffalo NY, a player streaking towards my youngest son and goalie, trying to catch a bad pass by one of ours on the offense, attempting to get a break away. My son covered the puck with a glove, blocker over the glove and head down, like a lot of mites do, near the top of his crease...

The player fell skates first, one of the skates slightly in the air. The skate contacted the side of his neck between his helmet and CA, driving him into the left post, spinning him and the net(unmoored for mites) around into the end boards. The rink went dead silent, the refs didnt even attempt to appproach him as coaches(both benches) began to hop the boards and head for him.

Standing there behind his net looking through the glass I could see his face. Laying body prone and sprawled on the ice, unmoving and head turned toward me, he had this huge grin on his face. End result was a small mark on the material at right about where Malarchuk had been sliced. He popped up to his skates to wave the Coaches off.

That day back in 98 or 99 could have been anything from my sons last, to a few stitches. With the Maltese Neck Guard, it is just another funny hockey story instead of a tragedy that might have prodded USA Hockey into a MANDATE. by the way, the player who ran into him was suspended for the season. Seems there was a history of violent behavior. It was deemed to have been an intentional attempt to injure, using the skate blade as a weapon.

As for cost, its a one time purchase. Starting at mite he has worn the same guard up to bantam minor. Now at bantam major I bought him an actual combo rather than just the slash guard. His old one doesnt look much worse than the day he got it. Mine, purchased at the same time, is like new.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 12:42 AM
night-timer

If I buy the $42 neck guard or the Combo neck guards, exactly how do they vary from any other neck guard on the market?

Early in my hockey playing days, I also did speed skating classes at my local rink. All speed skaters wear a neck guard - usually a Bauer or CCM.

Do Maltese neck guards have to be stretched over your head when putting them on, or is there an opening that can then be sealed?

night-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 04:39 PM
BehindTheMask

They vary in the materials used in their construction and the custom nature of the item. i.e. tailored to your fit and not hoping that a stock size will fit. The material allows the unit to be protective without being obtrusive.

The unit, either the collar or the combo, have an opening at the rear of the unit that is closed with velcro so, no, you don't have to stretch it over your head to put the unit on.

::m

BehindTheMask is offline   Reply With Quote