HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nikolai Zherdev

Old
08-09-2008, 12:12 AM
McMonster

vCash: 500
I liked our opening video... sure you can call it a little corny, but I thought it was cool

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 12:54 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison Ford View Post
Rangers of the Caribbean?
damn right.

and dont make a witty comeback like Butt-Pirate of the Rangers, i know you Harrison Ford.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 10:58 PM
whosbarrybadrinath

Anyone hear anything about Zherdev having an attitude problem?

whosbarrybadrinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 11:04 PM
Harrison Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
damn right.

and dont make a witty comeback like Butt-Pirate of the Rangers, i know you Harrison Ford.
c'mon you know i wouldnt do that...

Harrison Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison Ford View Post
c'mon you know i wouldnt do that...
hahaha, Im always 1 step ahead of the game

Old
08-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Turambar

Here's a great article on Zherdev, it gives quite a bit of insight into what went on during his tenure in Columbus:

Quote:
Almost nothing Nikolai Zherdev does with the puck surprises his Blue Jackets teammates.

He can stick-handle it through defenders. He can rush it from goal line to goal line. He can fire it with deceptive velocity, the backswing of his wrist shot as compact as the stroke of a 3-foot putt.

But early in the season, aboard the team plane headed out west, Zherdev made a move that left some teammates slack-jawed. The 23-year-old Ukrainian asked if he could sit in on a game of cards.

"I couldn't believe it at first," winger Jason Chimera said. "It's the kind of stuff Nik never did in the past. He wasn't a very good poker player, but by making the effort he was showing he wanted to be one of the boys."

It's what a player does without the puck that sometimes matters most to teammates. That's the lesson Zherdev is learning in his fourth NHL season.

Whether it's blocking shots in the defensive end or pulling the occasional prank in the locker room, the reticent right winger has made an effort to step outside his comfort zone.
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...1_4B9GUC1.html

The above is just a small excerpt, the article is definitely worth the read.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 12:23 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
Here's a great article on Zherdev, it gives quite a bit of insight into what went on during his tenure in Columbus:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...1_4B9GUC1.html

The above is just a small excerpt, the article is definitely worth the read.
This is where I get concerned about Zherdev. It took him years to get comfortable in Columbus. Will that translate to NY or not? We'll all just have to wait and see.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
This is where I get concerned about Zherdev. It took him years to get comfortable in Columbus. Will that translate to NY or not? We'll all just have to wait and see.
I hear you, and I'm hoping that Renney can get him to open up right away.

Is it true that the more Hitch played Zherdev, the more he seemed to open up and the better he played? I'm hoping so, because Renney will likely show Zherdev that he's going to be the Rangers most important player, and that he'll want him to get as much icetime as possible.

To me, it seems like the problems Zherdev had with MacLean really hurt him and hindered his development, and I don't anticipate him having any similar problems with either Renney or Sather. They're expecting big things from him, as they said themselves, so that should encourage Nik, no?

Old
08-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Garfinkel1

I'm just happy they broke the language barrier. It's a lot easier to coach a player if the coach and him can communicate without the use of others.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 07:57 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
I hear you, and I'm hoping that Renney can get him to open up right away.

Is it true that the more Hitch played Zherdev, the more he seemed to open up and the better he played? I'm hoping so, because Renney will likely show Zherdev that he's going to be the Rangers most important player, and that he'll want him to get as much icetime as possible.

To me, it seems like the problems Zherdev had with MacLean really hurt him and hindered his development, and I don't anticipate him having any similar problems with either Renney or Sather. They're expecting big things from him, as they said themselves, so that should encourage Nik, no?
I think a lot of Zherdev's problems in 06/07 had to do with his relationship with MacLean. What outsiders (non-CBJ fans) didn't hear about would include the fact that MacLean was the only GM in the league with an office in the lockerroom. MacLean also (allegedly) made Zherdev his personal whipping boy calling him out after games in front of the whole team. Basically, the way MacLean handled Zherdev (or at least the rumors of the situation) would be the complete opposite way that a player / person of Nik's temperment should be handled.

I didn't watch the draft from Columbus (since I was there) but MacLean was part of someone's broadcast team and apparently spent a great deal of time ripping on Zherdev. That would have been soon after MacLean got fired.

I have no personal knowledge about anything, but I'll give my interpretation of things. An employee has two ways to respond when his boss is an ass. 1. Prove him wrong by working your butt off or 2. mentally tell him to go **** himself and not try very hard. It seemed like Zherdev took the latter option with MacLean.

There were also rumors about something in Zherdev's personal life that would be devastating to anyone in that situation. I'm not going to repeat them here, since I don't know how valid they are.

I think Nik needs to feel needed. Whether he needs to be the #1 guy or not, I'm not sure. It did seem like Zherdev and Nash both did better when they were both doing well (a little competive undercurrent maybe?). He also needs to trust his linemates. It was better in 07/08 but in 06/07 it seemed like if he passed you the puck a couple of times and you didn't do anything with it, he would stop passing you the puck and try to do it on his own.

Some more opinion here...
We were doing OK until about the All-Star break, then the wheels came off. It wasn't really clear why. Although the team was extremely bi-polar last year, a great game would be followed by a completely crappy one. Fans could usually tell within the first 5 minutes of the game how it was going to end up - absolutely no consistency what-so-ever.

Once the trade deadline came around and we missed out on the Richards sweepstakes and Feds and Foote got traded, we were still in the race. But with the way the deadline went down, it seemed like Nik gave up (based on his play). Sure, there were injuries and stuff, but his play was less inspired than before. Maybe he's just a pessimistic guy by nature (or a realist considering the circumstances). I don't know.

Ranger fans should be glad to know that playing under Hitch really increased Zherdev's defensive awareness. His play on defense really improved. He actually laid down to block a few shots last season, which was surprising enough that when fans would see that there would be an audible "Was that Zherdev?"

I just hope the trade doesn't lead to a "step backwards" for Zherdev as far as team relations goes. Maybe the apparent maturity related issues (or comfort issues - however you want to phrase it) have already been dealt with and he can just step in NY and continue to move forward.

Old
08-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
I think a lot of Zherdev's problems in 06/07 had to do with his relationship with MacLean. What outsiders (non-CBJ fans) didn't hear about would include the fact that MacLean was the only GM in the league with an office in the lockerroom. MacLean also (allegedly) made Zherdev his personal whipping boy calling him out after games in front of the whole team. Basically, the way MacLean handled Zherdev (or at least the rumors of the situation) would be the complete opposite way that a player / person of Nik's temperment should be handled.

I didn't watch the draft from Columbus (since I was there) but MacLean was part of someone's broadcast team and apparently spent a great deal of time ripping on Zherdev. That would have been soon after MacLean got fired.

I have no personal knowledge about anything, but I'll give my interpretation of things. An employee has two ways to respond when his boss is an ass. 1. Prove him wrong by working your butt off or 2. mentally tell him to go **** himself and not try very hard. It seemed like Zherdev took the latter option with MacLean.

There were also rumors about something in Zherdev's personal life that would be devastating to anyone in that situation. I'm not going to repeat them here, since I don't know how valid they are.

I think Nik needs to feel needed. Whether he needs to be the #1 guy or not, I'm not sure. It did seem like Zherdev and Nash both did better when they were both doing well (a little competive undercurrent maybe?). He also needs to trust his linemates. It was better in 07/08 but in 06/07 it seemed like if he passed you the puck a couple of times and you didn't do anything with it, he would stop passing you the puck and try to do it on his own.

Some more opinion here...
We were doing OK until about the All-Star break, then the wheels came off. It wasn't really clear why. Although the team was extremely bi-polar last year, a great game would be followed by a completely crappy one. Fans could usually tell within the first 5 minutes of the game how it was going to end up - absolutely no consistency what-so-ever.

Once the trade deadline came around and we missed out on the Richards sweepstakes and Feds and Foote got traded, we were still in the race. But with the way the deadline went down, it seemed like Nik gave up (based on his play). Sure, there were injuries and stuff, but his play was less inspired than before. Maybe he's just a pessimistic guy by nature (or a realist considering the circumstances). I don't know.

Ranger fans should be glad to know that playing under Hitch really increased Zherdev's defensive awareness. His play on defense really improved. He actually laid down to block a few shots last season, which was surprising enough that when fans would see that there would be an audible "Was that Zherdev?"

I just hope the trade doesn't lead to a "step backwards" for Zherdev as far as team relations goes. Maybe the apparent maturity related issues (or comfort issues - however you want to phrase it) have already been dealt with and he can just step in NY and continue to move forward.
Thanks for the Write up, and since you know Zherdev more than any one in this thread, do you think that Renny would be a good coach for him(defensive type guy)?

Old
08-10-2008, 08:57 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Thanks for the Write up, and since you know Zherdev more than any one in this thread, do you think that Renny would be a good coach for him(defensive type guy)?
I don't know enough about Renney to comment. I've been a Jackets' season ticket holder since the beginning, but I wasn't really into hockey before that. I've been getting more into it since the lockout, but I don't know much about Eastern conference teams at all.

I don't know if it will be coaching of Zherdev so much as whether he and his linemates are on the same page. Comments were made last season that Hitch was getting frustrated with Nik because he (Hitch) and his teammates didn't know from shift to shift what he (Nik) was going to do.

If Zherdev develops good chemistry with someone (or better yet both linemates) the results will be deadly for the opposition. But with Columbus, he seemed like a round peg in a square hole on a team full of square pegs (east/west player versus north/south). He has all the talent in the world, but he just didn't seem to fit (the style of play).

Old
08-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Levitate

Quote:
May have also just needed to grow up a bit. Sometimes you just learn how to deal with situations better as you get older, and feel more comfortable around people in general. I think it's far to say that he has probably matured over the years

Dunno how he'll turn out in NY, but I think Renney is the kind of coach that will be good with him

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
I don't know enough about Renney to comment. I've been a Jackets' season ticket holder since the beginning, but I wasn't really into hockey before that. I've been getting more into it since the lockout, but I don't know much about Eastern conference teams at all.

I don't know if it will be coaching of Zherdev so much as whether he and his linemates are on the same page. Comments were made last season that Hitch was getting frustrated with Nik because he (Hitch) and his teammates didn't know from shift to shift what he (Nik) was going to do.

If Zherdev develops good chemistry with someone (or better yet both linemates) the results will be deadly for the opposition. But with Columbus, he seemed like a round peg in a square hole on a team full of square pegs (east/west player versus north/south). He has all the talent in the world, but he just didn't seem to fit (the style of play).
thanks alot again. jeez, your getting me anxious for the season to start. and the way your describing how he plays it makes me feel as though Drury or maybe even Dubinsky would be a much better fit for him instead of Gomez (who i used to think would be a good fit).

Old
08-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Turambar

Quote:
thanks alot again. jeez, your getting me anxious for the season to start. and the way your describing how he plays it makes me feel as though Drury or maybe even Dubinsky would be a much better fit for him instead of Gomez (who i used to think would be a good fit).
Sounds quite a bit like Jagr, doesn't it?

Old
08-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
To an extent I think he does sound like Jagr. However, I just have a feeling that he'll be less of a 'go through me' player than Jagr is/was.

I am very excited about the future of our RW position though. Zherdev and Cherepanov (crossing my fingers) could be a very scary one-two-punch for quite a few years.

Regarding Zherdev's personality, I think he'll excel under Renney considering Renney is a player's coach and not a drill sergeant. I have no doubt that we have a very solid core of players who will make Zherdev feel accepted and welcome in NY. Plus, with the handful of Russian players waiting in the wings, he could feel right at home in a year or two and could do a lot for the new guys coming up through the system.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

For a guy like Zherdev, Renney would be the perfect coach. I dont care for Renney, but ill give him this, he gets his players to WANT to work hard for him. Not because of him screaming, but because of respect.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
yeah thats what i was thinking too.

Old
08-11-2008, 06:05 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I haven't seemed Zherdev play too much, but according to almost the entire CBJ media, he has a world of talent but is at times a little aloof and makes you wanna punch him?

Hello? Kovalev Part II anybody? He is certainly capable of putting us through what Kovalev did to us (minus 1994/95 playoffs). I say it's worth a gamble.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote