HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

► Free Agents Even More Expensive Next Season (KHL)

Old
08-09-2008, 08:48 PM
malkinfan

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMacdonald View Post
Nah, only has beens and old guys go to the KHL.
Has beens that lead their teams in playoff scoring....cough-Jagr...cough-Radulov.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 08:52 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post

I don't see anybody with suits on.
Well then you haven't been to any Toronto games. The leagues biggest market fills its arena with yuppies in suits, most of them haven't a clue what is going on.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyHabFan View Post
How do you figure? 25 years old and just got 69points last season. get your **** straight
I think he meant it would be "kinda bad" if he left for KHL.

Which it would because i would lose one of my favorite players.

Kikizaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Well then you haven't been to any Toronto games. The leagues biggest market fills its arena with yuppies in suits, most of them haven't a clue what is going on.

This kid isn't wearing a suit. That kid seems like a serious fan.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 11:50 PM
sulzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc37 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikFU3TYpL0g

maybe when you talk about a nashville or Florida but when you get into the good markets like the 6 canadian teams plus alot of american teams like San jose they have 10x times the fans and theyre not suits, there fans. Look at the video and that explains it all. NHL fans in good markets>> European fans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4HsOiFoZiY

A group of quiet guys in suits sure looks different than I thought they would.

Last edited by sulzer: 08-10-2008 at 02:23 AM.
sulzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 03:37 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Prucha won't get a cent that he wants out of the Rangers.

****, we'd be glad for him to bolt to Russia.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 03:50 AM
Super Sniper Cele

Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
I don't understand why everybody is so worried about the KHL "stealing" players from the NHL. They got a few good players so far, big deal. Radulov is the only one anybody should really be upset about--unless of course Jozef Stumpel or Johan Holmqvist were favorite players of yours.

The other big name guys they got are Jagr--who was/is nearing the end of his career anyways--and Yashin--money hungry and lazy, no big loss there, IMO.

Also, to be honest, if someone who has the ability to be successful (i.e Radulov) in the NHL but chooses money over playing in the best league in the world, I'd rather them just leave anyways.

Super Sniper Cele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 11:01 AM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc37 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikFU3TYpL0g

maybe when you talk about a nashville or Florida but when you get into the good markets like the 6 canadian teams plus alot of american teams like San jose they have 10x times the fans and theyre not suits, there fans. Look at the video and that explains it all. NHL fans in good markets>> European fans
**** you, even Florida can get 15,000 people when theres basketball football, baseball and many other professional sports teams to watch too. (We even have a pro paintball team...)

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 11:14 AM
drew1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500 View Post
Playing infront of 17,000 of which most are suits or getting to play infront of real fans. What sound like more fun?

Good point. Unfortanately once the salaries go up business have to support it and then the real fans cant afford to see games. Welcome to Toronto's issue. Higher salaries = more suits .

ya and theres a 10 year waiting list in toronto for season tickets.... Thats watching the leafs play too lol.

drew1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Bill_Crosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
It's a shame, but it's the way things are. Most people are concerned with how they are going to afford to get back and forth to work everyday to worry about dropping 200-400 on a couple of hockey tickets.

Bill_Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 12:41 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan View Post

I looked it up.. in the 05/06 season.. Bern of the swiss league had the highest average attendance in europe.. 15.994..
15,994 is the highest attendance?

Contract them, Hockey should never be there anyway, that market is a failure, its obvious to everyone that there are no hockey fans there, move them to Kansas City or Hamilton.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 12:44 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hav-a-lot View Post
Worst case scenario the NHL becomes a league of North American players, of which doesn't worry me much.
Best post in the thread.

Let the Euros who want to go back go.

Plenty will want to stay, and plenty more will be begging to come over, and for the ones that leave, we just get Americans and Canadians to take thier place.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Hab Shark
Better call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I don't want no one in the league that doesn't want to be here.
My thoughts exactly! The League is not watered down. It could easily expanded to 32 teams and be supported just by North America and Europe. Let'm all go if they want!

Hab Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 01:07 PM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
Frankly, if Euros (and for that matter, N.A. players) want to play in Europe to make more money then I wish them all the best.

In my opinion, a hockey player's ultimate goal should be playing in front of 17,000-20,000 people every night amongst the greatest competition in the world in hopes to one day get to win the Stanley Cup.

If money is more important, then good for them. They should go.
God forbid that an athlete who is among the best in the world at what he does want to get as much money as possible during the six years when he'll be most valuable.

These guys aren't like you and me. We expect to get an incremental raise every year and move to better jobs until, at about age 65, we embrace our golden years and bid farewell to the 9-5 life. When many of these guys "retire," they have young children and another 50 years of life to pay for. Sure, they can coach or be a commentator, but this is their one chance to get big money.

We're not just talking about a guy running to Europe for a measley $500,000 more of untaxed salary a year, or maybe an extra $4 million dollars more (again, untaxed) over the length of a contract. Think about your 401k or whatever retirement plan you have the more you put in early, the more you expect to have in the long run. Thanks to compound interest and a league desperate to make a splash, players who go to the KHL could set themselves up to realize tens of millions more in their lifetime, if they invest wisely.

An extra couple million now could grow into some serious cash in 20 or 30 years.

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 01:22 PM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post
And while we're at it, what's wrong with wearing a suit? Some prefer to like the way they look. Maybe some people want to look classy while watching a game they love? I smell a lot of anti-suit partisanship on this board of jersey-wearers.
You must be an idiot if you think that the wealthy, the merely affluent and the upper middle class who wear suits to their downtown jobs (and who, to save either gas or time or both, don't drive home before a game for a wardrobe change) are capable of actually understanding or enjoying the game of hockey.

I mean, just look at Mark Cuban. There's a kajillionaire who obviously don't care if the team he roots for wins or loses.

I'd much rather sit next to that drunk, jerseyed fan who knows that true hockey fans appreciate him yelling "get off your knees, ref you're blowing the game" 20 times a night.

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post
And while we're at it, what's wrong with wearing a suit? Some prefer to like the way they look. Maybe some people want to look classy while watching a game they love? I smell a lot of anti-suit partisanship on this board of jersey-wearers.
The 'suit' reference is a figure of speech; it has nothing to do with what fans actually wear.

The suit wearer is the corporate type who watches from the sky-box...in many instances enjoying the immenities more than the game itself.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 12:02 AM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Is this supposed to be headline news?

I mean - the cap is going to go up next year (even if revenues don't grow, the players have an option to bump it 5% - that's just about $90m across the league), there will be the same number of roster spots and more money available to spend filling them.

More money + same number of players = more expensive players.
Nope. The players do not have an option to bump the cap 5%. What they did have was an option to calculate the cap based on 105% of the previous seasons HRR (Hockey Related Revenue). The NHLPA invoked that in 2007, giving a one time ~5% bump in the cap midpoint (and a bit less in the Upper Limit). The 5% kicker was already factored in last seasons $50.3M cap, next season's $56.3M one, and any future one (unless the NHLPA opts NOT to exercise it - in which case the cap midpoint would drop ~5%). The NHLPA does NOT have any future options to bump the cap. If revenues are flat, the cap will remain flat, end of story.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 09:28 AM
The_Puck_Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
Frankly, if Euros (and for that matter, N.A. players) want to play in Europe to make more money then I wish them all the best.

In my opinion, a hockey player's ultimate goal should be playing in front of 17,000-20,000 people every night amongst the greatest competition in the world in hopes to one day get to win the Stanley Cup.

If money is more important, then good for them. They should go.

Very well put!

The_Puck_Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 09:56 AM
The_Puck_Hog

While putting some thought into this discussion I came across an interesting possibility.

I think on the whole, most will agree that there are just too many teams in the NHL and thus we see watered down talent almost nightly. I think if we went down to 24 Teams we would see better hockey every night. By reducing the Teams to 24 there would be alot of professional hockey players looking for somewhere to play. So if the KHL sticks around and grows strong there would be somewhere for these players to play.

Now......Realizing that the KHL will want the best talent is obvious and they will undoubtably make pitches for alot of the NHL's biggest stars......

But, really what can the NHL do about it???

Simple, NOTHING, they can merely watch and see the League fail and gain back the talent after the league folds. OR, watch it succeed and now force the NHL to make thier brand of hockey....the hockey of choice!

Lastly, there will always be Hockey players who put money first as a priority. Naturally most of us would do the same, however, the big difference is that these players are already making millions of dollars and have very little to worry about financially.... So when they put money first, we have reason to question thier motives, however, they have every right to make thier own choice.....

That being said I would much rather watch a player who's goal is to win Hockey's Holy Grail than that of a player who puts thier priority towards monitary gains.......

So long Radulov and good luck..

The_Puck_Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 08:44 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
The 'suit' reference is a figure of speech; it has nothing to do with what fans actually wear.

The suit wearer is the corporate type who watches from the sky-box...in many instances enjoying the immenities more than the game itself.
Exactly, I my self love wearing fancy clothes but I was referring to corporate ticket holders.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Gaborik's agent, for example, is already shopping him in Russia.

I'll bet top-dollar that Kovalchuk is going to do the same. (He already did the Russian money song and dance for his current contract.)

Other significant free agents that will use the KHL to pry more money out of their NHL teams (who may or may not afford it):

► Kovalev
► Afinogenov
► Kopitar
► Plekanec
► Fedorov
► Kozlov
► Havlat
► Lang
► Spacek
► Antropov
► Satan
► Fedotenko
► Reinprecht
► Gerber
► Zherdev
► Prucha
► Bonk
► Zednik
► Dvorak

I'd expect quite a few of these players to be gone from the NHL next summer. And a couple of them will be really big names.

So what is the NHL going to do to stop the talent drain? As it is, a 30 team league is watered down quite a bit.

It seems that we're gradually going back towards pre-glasnost days as far as NHL talent is concerned. The Cold War is back. (Unless the KHL is overrated as a money source.)
Have any of these players ever not been called soft, lazy, or streaky?

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Sakaarnis

whats wrong with watching hockey wearing suit?

Sakaarnis is offline   Reply With Quote