HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

IF the Sedins become UFAs next summer...

Old
08-10-2008, 06:28 PM
CronoX

vCash: 500
IF the Sedins become UFAs next summer...

Reading this article brought up a few interesting questions:
yahoo article

What might happen IF Daniel and Henrik Sedin decide to become UFAs next summer? Currently, I think they are making $3.6M this coming season and no doubt they're do for a good raise. Former all-stars, 80 point players, twins, and first-line players. Obviously, Vancouver is going to do everything it can to resign them. But, for fun, let's assume that they don't resign during the regular season and become free agents.

Would you expect the twins to be a package deal and sign with the same team? What teams could afford the $10-15 million (rough estimate) it would take to sign both players and retain whatever free agents they have of their own?

CronoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 06:39 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
hopefully they cut the cord, grow up and realise that they dont have to go where ever the other one goes

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

I see the Islanders taking a shot at them IF they become UFA. Only 27.44M commited next season for Islanders.

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
hopefully they cut the cord, grow up and realise that they dont have to go where ever the other one goes
Yea how immature of them to want to play with each other seeing as how they're twins and all.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Peter Griffin

The Canucks and Sedins are apparently working on contract details now so I really doubt they even reach UFA status.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 06:43 PM
CBJSlash

While I'd find it unlikely. Columbus could fit them. We have some salaries coming off.

Sedin - Sedin - Nash
Modin - Umberger - Huselius

If Brassard and Voracek do what we hope they will do, it would mean we wouldn't spend 10+ million on the Sedins. Not that they are as good, but bang for buck.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 07:00 PM
The Puck

It would be interesting to see how each plays if they got separated for a prolonged period of time.

Maybe they should experiment with that - Daniel goes to Pittsburgh and plays with Crosby, Henrik goes to Detroit and plays with Zetterberg. Then they can reunite the following year.

But yeah - they'll just re-sign with the Nucks, and if they don't, I hope Vancouver trades them by the deadline because they cannot afford to lose them for nothing.

The Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Rover*

They're not going to separate. Their agent, jp barry said this summer the chance of them splitting up is 0%.

Rover* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 07:05 PM
fogducker

If they decide to test the FA market. Vancouver is going to trade them..

Sedins (signed long term) to Atlanta for Kovy?

fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1100
Why would you want to split up the Sedins? Not only do they play extremely well together, it's a nice novelty to have twins on a line.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 07:33 PM
CertifiedPublicGuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
Yea how immature of them to want to play with each other seeing as how they're twins and all.
I don't understand the sarcasm... I agree that it seems pretty immature. They're professionals, this isn't a family matter.

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Dugray
No Gifs This Time

vCash: 50
They're both adults and have kids and wives that are happy living in Vancouver, and I'm sure both families are incredibly close. As adults, they have every right to want and decide to play together and keep their families close. Not sure where maturity comes into play.

Dugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 07:40 PM
The Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
They're not going to separate. Their agent, jp barry said this summer the chance of them splitting up is 0%.
What about the chances of them having contract terms that are not the same?

They are great players, but it does seem sort of baby-ish of them to not at least give some consideration to the possibility of playing on different teams. They'd probably do just fine even if they weren't playing together.

It's not at all unusual for twins or family members to do many things together, but hopefully their individual identities have not been compromised along the way.

As long as they don't shower together or boink the same women at the same time, maybe it's not so bad.

The Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckle View Post
I see the Islanders taking a shot at them IF they become UFA. Only 27.44M commited next season for Islanders.
That'd be interesting if they ended up landing Tavares in the draft too.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Peter Griffin

Their style of play is based around the two of them playing together for so long. It makes no sense for them to separate as they probably wouldn't be as effective apart from each other. Money isn't too important to them and as long as they get a fair offer, they'll stay in Vancouver.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 07:49 PM
CertifiedPublicGuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugray View Post
They're both adults and have kids and wives that are happy living in Vancouver, and I'm sure both families are incredibly close. As adults, they have every right to want and decide to play together and keep their families close. Not sure where maturity comes into play.
If they're happy in Vancouver, they'll stay there... if they choose to become unrestricted, then they have no say in whether they'll play together or not, unless a team wants that, or they decide they want to take their show back across the seas. And unless they're living together, which would be a little weird, then their decisions to play together have nothing to do with their relationships with their families.

They have the right to desire that certainly, but in the UFA market, they'll be handcuffing NOBODY if that team doesn't wish to pursue both.

Old
08-10-2008, 07:50 PM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

The fact they won't be split up limits their value. I'd expect to see them both get signed to deals in the 3-4 year range @ 5.75 per.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashJeffHockey19 View Post
If they're happy in Vancouver, they'll stay there... if they choose to become unrestricted, then they have no say in whether they'll play together or not, unless a team wants that, or they decide they want to take their show back across the seas. And unless they're living together, which would be a little weird, then their decisions to play together have nothing to do with their relationships with their families.

They have the right to desire that certainly, but in the UFA market, they'll be handcuffing NOBODY if that team doesn't wish to pursue both.
If you're on the UFA market though I'd assume you'd want both of them, so I don't really see that as a detraction. If anything you're getting two good UFAs who you know have chemistry together for probably a bit of a discount.

Call it a "buying in bulk" UFA discount, lol. The Kings would look pretty interesting with them too.

Frolov Kopitar O'Sullivan
Sedin Sedin Brown

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain of the Ship View Post
What about the chances of them having contract terms that are not the same?
Why would they have different terms? Their career point totals and nearly identical.

Old
08-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckle View Post
That ain't the problem. The problem is what the self-imposed cap limit for the Isles will be - or more precisely, what their cash budget will be (which likely won't be the same as the actual cap hit).

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 08:20 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

they should play on different teams.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 08:31 PM
CertifiedPublicGuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
If you're on the UFA market though I'd assume you'd want both of them, so I don't really see that as a detraction. If anything you're getting two good UFAs who you know have chemistry together for probably a bit of a discount.

Call it a "buying in bulk" UFA discount, lol. The Kings would look pretty interesting with them too.

Frolov Kopitar O'Sullivan
Sedin Sedin Brown
Yea you make good points, and I thought about that too... to contradict myself a bit.

My point, as I'm sure you know and understood, was just that these are professionals, it's a business, and going into the UFA market, they really don't have much of a say (it's dependent on what the teams want) on if they can go to a place together. It's certainly more than likely that at least one team will be willing to go after both, but my overall point is they can't decide how the teams are willing to negotiate. This isn't directed at you, just my overall final cry, but this is business, they're grown men now, there have been plenty of players that have come into this league and I really do think it speaks a bit to their maturity level if they can't cut the cord and move on. (whether or not they do remains to be seen, but if they refuse, it seems a little gay, to speak like the teenagers).

Old
08-10-2008, 08:44 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

ottawa could pull 12-13 Million out for them, but it would likely mean trading vermette/fisher and relying on elliott in goal. Hopefully elliott gives us that option.

or maybe i'm just falling into a wet dream:

Heatley-Spezza-Fisher
Sedin-Sedin-Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
If they decide to test the FA market. Vancouver is going to trade them..

Sedins (signed long term) to Atlanta for Kovy?
read that again and see if it makes sense. If the sedins decide to go open market, they will be traded as the best deadline package ever. They wont be signing an extension before/while being traded.

08-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Rover*

I'd trade the sedins for spezza and heatley.

Old
08-10-2008, 08:49 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
I'd trade the sedins for spezza and heatley.
awesome - so would everyone. They have long term contracts at 7 and 7.5M.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote