HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Kyle Okposo or Patric Hornqvist

Old
08-11-2008, 12:03 PM
go27blue

vCash: 500
Kyle Okposo or Patric Hornqvist

just looking for opinions which do you think has the higher upside and will be the better player, thanks.

go27blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 12:12 PM
ZDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by go27blue View Post
just looking for opinions which do you think has the higher upside and will be the better player, thanks.
definitely Okposo

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 12:21 PM
STL fan in IA

Okposo all the way.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Fantasy Guru

Send a message via AIM to Fantasy Guru Send a message via MSN to Fantasy Guru
Is this a serious question?

Okposo

Fantasy Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Garl

Well Okposo was selcted at #7 and is #1 in Islanders Prospect rankings. Hornqvist was selected where? #230 last in the draft. Is it really needed to ask this question? Okposo obviously not even close, he's lightyears ahead.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 12:58 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
hornqvist will probablystart the season on the Preds 2nd line, so we will see.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 12:59 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Well Okposo was selcted at #7 and is #1 in Islanders Prospect rankings. Hornqvist was selected where? #230 last in the draft. Is it really needed to ask this question? Okposo obviously not even close, he's lightyears ahead.
So I guess Kris Beech was "lightyears ahead" of Henrik Zetterberg? Was Manny Malhotra "lightyears ahead" of Pavel Datsyuk?

Once you sign your entry-level deal, draft position is irrelevant.

I really don't think this is a fair comparison in terms of playstyle, since Okposo is more of a powerforward and Hörnqvist is more of a pure sniper. Both will be good players, it's entirely possible that both score 20+ goals this year. I think Okposo will be the better player but they're both going to be impact forwards.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 08-11-2008 at 01:11 PM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Zetterberg anyone?

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 01:03 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
hornqvist will probably start the season on the Preds 2nd line, so we will see.
So is Fiddler gonna be on the first line again?

We have two successful pairs on our top two lines: Arnott and Dumont on the first line, and Legwand and Erat on the second line. Keeping those two together, it makes sense to put Hörnqvist, the best of the three rookie forwards (Hörnqvist, Antti Pihlström and Ryan Jones), and possibly the best forward outside the base quartet on the top two lines, on the first line and then put Jones or a free agent to be named on the second line.

The way Trotz plays his rookies, though, Fiddler will be on the first line, Peverley on the second, and the 4th line will be Hörnqvist-Nichol-Jones and Pihlström will be in Milwaukee.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
So I guess Kris Beech was "lightyears ahead" of Henrik Zetterberg? Was Manny Malhotra "lightyears ahead" of Pavel Datsyuk?
Hornqvist doesn't even have 1/16th of the hype Zetterberg had when he came over. He may have low draft position in common with Zetterberg, but it ends there. If you're expecting similar success I think you're in for a *****slap of a reality check. I think Preds fans will be lucky if he's Ville Peltonen 2.0.

Okposo for sure has the edge and then some when factoring potential.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post

Once you sign your entry-level deal, draft position is irrelevant.

I really don't think this is a fair comparison in terms of playstyle, since Okposo is more of a powerforward and Hörnqvist is more of a pure sniper. Both will be good players, it's entirely possible that both score 20+ goals this year. I think Okposo will be the better player but they're both going to be impact forwards.
O have seen Hornqvist many times. Actually IMO he's an agressive type of player, he plays physical, can drop the gloves and get under skin. For example Kovalchuk got really stupid penalty because he was mad at small Hornqvist who laid a great hit on him and Kovalchuk attacked Hornqvist from behind.

As for dratft position, it was sarcasm towards posters who made this thing and were saying it's Okposo not even close.

Old
08-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Hornqvist doesn't even have 1/16th of the hype Zetterberg had when he came over. He may have low draft position in common with Zetterberg, but it ends there. If you're expecting similar success I think you're in for a *****slap of a reality check. I think Preds fans will be lucky if he's Ville Peltonen 2.0.

Okposo for sure has the edge and then some when factoring potential.
We are living in America!

If Hornqvist was drafted by Edmonton or Toronto or Rangers he would have been hyped. He is drafted by Nasville so he isn't.

He is not like Peltonen at all. Different type of player. He was arguably Djurgerden's best forward for 2 straight seasons, made WC as a junior, and was probably the best forward for Sweden in Eurotour. Pretty impressive for 21 y.o?

Old
08-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Konk

Quote:
We are living in America!

If Hornqvist was drafted by Edmonton or Toronto or Rangers he would have been hyped. He is drafted by Nasville so he isn't.

He is not like Peltonen at all. Different type of player. He was arguably Djurgerden's best forward for 2 straight seasons, made WC as a junior, and was probably the best forward for Sweden in Eurotour. Pretty impressive for 21 y.o?
Zetterberg never received hype from any American media. He was hyped by Swedish press and Canadian media, first of all. Look at Kristian Huselius, who was more hyped than all in question. Where did he start out? Oh yeah, Florida, you know... the hub of hockey. You think that's where the hype came from? No. He was suppose to come over and dominate the NHL, but he didn't.

Second of all, I wasn't comparing style to Peltonen just statistical performance. Go ahead and list me the number of 20+ year old Swedes who come over and pot 20 goals in their first season from the past 10 years. I know you didn't make the claim, so that's not necessarily for you, but the poster who did can and will see how unlikely it is to happen.

Old
08-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Randall Ritchey
TFP Correspondent

Kyle Okposo way ahead of Hornqvist.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 02:13 PM
LennyV

I like Hörnqvist a lot and have seen him a lot in Djurgården and Team Sweden but I'd be pretty surprised if he turned out better than Okposo.

LennyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 02:28 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

While I'd obviously choose Okposo over Hornqvist based on the "safe" factor alone, a lot of people are talking out their butts simply because they don't know who Hornqvist is, just how good he's been for the last few years, and the kind of numbers he's been putting up. We're talking about a guy who tied Forsberg's rookie scoring record, has out performed "sexier" players like Brunnstrom, and has succeeded in every forum he's tackled. He was one of Sweden's best players at the WC's this year, despite being one of their youngest players. He's very likely to be playing in Nashville's top six this year with PP time on top of that.

You can say that Okposo is the better prospect, and you may be right...but to try to put down Hornqvist while doing so makes you look foolish and uninformed.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 03:25 PM

For next year it's a toss up long term I'd take Okposo.

Okposo should turn out as a 1st line 75 pts power forward whhile Hornqvist becomes a 2nd line pest with 50-60 pts.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 05:27 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
well regardless, they are both going to be very high quality NHLers.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Not a fair comparison at all, IMO. Two totally different style of players.

Upside? I will take a stab at it...

Okposo: 75-80 points
Hornqivst: 55-65

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Definitely see Okposo having higher upside.

Chapin Landvogt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Comparison Ford
i got a star

Okposo

Comparison Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 07:23 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
While I'd obviously choose Okposo over Hornqvist based on the "safe" factor alone, a lot of people are talking out their butts simply because they don't know who Hornqvist is, just how good he's been for the last few years, and the kind of numbers he's been putting up. We're talking about a guy who tied Forsberg's rookie scoring record, has out performed "sexier" players like Brunnstrom, and has succeeded in every forum he's tackled. He was one of Sweden's best players at the WC's this year, despite being one of their youngest players. He's very likely to be playing in Nashville's top six this year with PP time on top of that.

You can say that Okposo is the better prospect, and you may be right...but to try to put down Hornqvist while doing so makes you look foolish and uninformed.
So did Robert Nilsson, and that makes me fail to see your point about that statement.

Kvashinator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12 View Post
So did Robert Nilsson, and that makes me fail to see your point about that statement.
1.Nilsson is a good player.
2. He never scored more that 8 goals in SEL, Hornqvist scored 23 as a junior. He speaks about this record.
3.Once again Nilsson is a skill player, Hornqvist is a gritty sniper-agitator.

Old
08-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
No, you just come off as a Preds fanboy. You can talk up Hornqvist left and right, but facts are facts, and the vast majority of hyped 20+ year olds from the SEL don't exactly come into the NHL setting the world on fire. Kristian Huselius is a perfect example of a kid that was hyped far before he was even signed by the Panthers. The anticipation grew all year long on these forums and by the end of the year he was expected to be the Calder favorite the following season when he signed. He had a solid rookie season, but has not quite lived up to the initial hype.

I wouldn't expect more than what Huselius did his first year for Hornqvist, tops. Anything more would be unrealistic fanboy expectations. So I'm not exactly putting Hornqvist down, I'm just saying SLOW YOUR ROLL. Every year kids on these boards who haven't been out of diapers long enough to realize, the vast majority of prospects don't pan out as expected and to place such lofty expectations on them more often than not leads to huge dissapointments.

Old
08-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
I would take Okposo if I had to pick one, but its closer than a lot of people thinks IMO..

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote