HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Redden Vs McCabe

View Poll Results: Who is better
Redden 83 58.04%
McCabe 60 41.96%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-11-2008, 01:51 PM
SuddentheSwede

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Gerber View Post
He was on pace for 35 points. There's no way he is/was good enough defensively to make him worth 5.75M if he only puts up 35 points.

Maybe 4.5-5... but not almost 6.
With todays market I will gladly pay a 5.75 mil cap hit for a 35 point pace (would have been higher without the adjustment time from injury) a rocik solid effort defensively, leadership and being one of the few guys on an otherwise soft Leaf's squad to dish out a hit or two.

The Leaf's record without McCabe is not a pretty sight...

SuddentheSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Skittles View Post

[B]Redden loses your team games
How exactly does that happen? The Sens looked pretty good to me back in '06-07, or was I imagining things?

Quote:
the Sens will be better without Redden and Emery..
Without Emery, sure. But Redden was nothing more than a scapegoat, and I think the Sens fans are in for a big surprise as to what their offense will look like without Redden's outlet pass.

Quote:
The Leafs **** the bed without McCabe.
The Leafs **** the bed regardless.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 02:34 PM
AirheadPete
G-Dub

close but i say mccabe

AirheadPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 02:38 PM
dangler71

wade redden

dangler71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 03:43 PM
SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
Redden was nothing more than a scapegoat
Ha. Haha.

Perhaps you should have bothered watching Redden play.

SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tooth Grin View Post
Ha. Haha.

Perhaps you should have bothered watching Redden play.
I have, a lot. Regardless of how much his play fell off, one guy doesn't make a team collapse like what happened to the Sens. They just completely fell apart, all that showed was that there was no leadership and little character in the lockerroom. Why else would they bring in Jason Smith?

Pretty soon the Sens and their fans will no longer have Redden & Emery to blame for such things as they did, and they'll have to man-up, like they should've to begin with.

Again, one guy doesn't cause a team to collapse, especially if that team has a shred of character.

Old
08-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Kamina
Amok

Redden's first pass that he has earned so much praise with was usually very bad last season.

Exhibit A:

People question character and all that crap, but the 07-08 team was pretty similar to that of 06-07, their Finals team. It had nothing to do with character, really. Emery and Paddock were parts of the problem, but they did have character.

Last edited by Kamina: 08-11-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadSen View Post
Redden's first pass that he has earned so much praise with was usually very bad last season.

Exhibit A:
That's a single pass, in his worst season. He played for you guys for 11 years. And from what I've seen and what I've heard, his first pass was better more often than not.

It's amazing to me how a guy can play at such a high level for a decade, and yet one bad year can totally define his career for so many people.

Quote:
People question character and all that crap, but the 07-08 team was pretty similar to that of 06-07, their Finals team. It had nothing to do with character, really. They just were bad.
So how was Redden responsible for the team being bad? Wasn't everyone bad?

People seem to think that now that Redden is gone, the Sens are magically just going to go back to being a dominant team, and I find that laughable. The problems obviously ran much deeper than a single player's downward spiral, and now that he's gone, all those other problems (whatever they are) are still there, but now the team is without Redden's talents.

Old
08-11-2008, 06:30 PM
SP

Quote:
That's a single pass, in his worst season. He played for you guys for 11 years. And from what I've seen and what I've heard, his first pass was better more often than not.
Not recently.

Quote:
It's amazing to me how a guy can play at such a high level for a decade, and yet one bad year can totally define his career for so many people.
Two bad years.

Quote:
So how was Redden responsible for the team being bad? Wasn't everyone bad?

People seem to think that now that Redden is gone, the Sens are magically just going to go back to being a dominant team, and I find that laughable. The problems obviously ran much deeper than a single player's downward spiral, and now that he's gone, all those other problems (whatever they are) are still there, but now the team is without Redden's talents.
I don't know what people you're talking about, but if they blame all our problems on Redden, they're wrong. He deserves much more blame than the majority of players, but it wasn't all one player's fault.

Regardless, thinking he's just a scapegoat is just as foolish and thinking he was the only problem.

SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 10:43 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Its useless arguing it now really..

We will see how he plays with the Rangers and how the Sens play without him...that will tell more then what he did in the past.

That was a pretty bad "hospital pass" though from that youtube vid..i'm not gonna lie

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 07:06 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Redden. He may have gotten worse but still much better than McCabe IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadSen View Post
Redden, despite how far he's fallen.
I'm with you guys.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 07:08 AM
Twist and Shout

McCabe is better and the Leafs will be giving him away for a steal if he is traded before the start of the season.

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 07:24 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist And Shout View Post
McCabe is better and the Leafs will be giving him away for a steal if he is traded before the start of the season.
It must be the sheer frequency that these words are seen together that makes it seem so natural...

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 02:18 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Redden only because he's a Ranger.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 02:32 PM
DG

Quote:
I think the Sens fans are in for a big surprise as to what their offense will look like without Redden's outlet pass.
I wouldn't be surprised in the least if you're right about this, despite agreeing about how awful Redden was last year.

I'm hoping clearing/moving the puck doesn't become a horror...

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Quiet Robert

I guess nobody has actually watched Redden over the past two seasons? I used to have him firmly as a top 10 dman in this league,
but there are few things he still does at an elite level. He'd fallen to being Ottawa's 4th defenceman

Where does he actually edge out McCabe at the moment? McCabe produces more, logs more minutes, plays a more physical game and now has a better salary. Redden's supposed calm demeanor and fantastic first pass are rarely seen these days. If he can get back to being an elite puck mover who produces and plays steady defence, I could understand him leading the voting, but right now it doesn't make sense.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 03:02 PM
RingoCalamity

Redden's my favorite player - if I could afford a Sens jersey, it'd be a #6. And I hate - hate, hate, hate - McCabe. In their respective primes, I'd take Redden's smooth, steady, efficient play any day over McCabe. He reminded me of Al MacInnis later in his career (minus the shot - Redden would take an extra step in from the point and let a laser snapshot go instead of the trademarked MacInnis canon slapper).

That said, right now, McCabe's the better player. Watching games last season (and to a lesser extent, the last two seasons), Redden was invisible unless he was making a gaffe of some sort.

McCabe makes more mistakes, but also a lot of good plays that make up for it. He still makes a lot happen on the ice, more of it good than bad.

Man, that was painful. Nobody hopes Redden regains his form more than me. Well, maybe Glen Sather.

RingoCalamity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

My god. McCabe is leaps and bounds better than Redden now, and the last 2 years. McCabe had an off year because of a wrist injury (limiting his shot ie most lethal weapon). Redden has regressed since Chara left the Sens, and hasn't even been top pairing on the Sens.

Redden will be the Rags regret 1 year from now, and McCabe will be coming off a 60 point season (with or without the Leafs)

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post

Redden will be the Rags regret 1 year from now
I think a lot of people are going to be surprised at the kind of year Redden is likely to have, even if he doesn't significantly improve his game.

Now before you freak out, hear me out. The Rangers system did a pretty good job of making Marek Malik look like a passable top pair defenseman for the better part of three years. Renney's "five in the picture" theme really does wonders for their defensemen's images, so to speak. The Rangers were 1st in the East in GAA last year, and 4th in the league, all with a pretty mediocre defensive corp. And yes, of course much of this had to do with Lundqvist, but don't discount the defensive system, and anyway Redden is likely to benefit from playing in front of Lundqvist as much as anyone else.

Old
08-13-2008, 06:40 PM
tony d
The franchise

Wade Redden.

08-14-2008, 09:09 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Wade Redden

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuddentheSwede View Post
McCabe is not overpaid.

This past season (contrary to popular belief) McCabe was a rock defensively, most probably his best season ever defensively. His offense has dropped notably, especially his once so feared shot, but he is still a good d-men offensively.

A few eye-gouging mistakes to start the season clouded what was actually a great season from McCabe. Take a look at the Leafs record with, and without him, you will realize that McCabe is one of the more valuable players for the TML's. In my opinion, he's right behind Mats.

His 5.75 million cap hit is fair value in comparison to what he brings to his team. Especially considering how much the cap has grown recently.
His cap hit may have been 5.75 but his salary was 7+ million last year. He was the highest paid player on the leaves last season. And he's not worth 5 Million let alone 7.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
I think a lot of people are going to be surprised at the kind of year Redden is likely to have, even if he doesn't significantly improve his game.

Now before you freak out, hear me out. The Rangers system did a pretty good job of making Marek Malik look like a passable top pair defenseman for the better part of three years. Renney's "five in the picture" theme really does wonders for their defensemen's images, so to speak. The Rangers were 1st in the East in GAA last year, and 4th in the league, all with a pretty mediocre defensive corp. And yes, of course much of this had to do with Lundqvist, but don't discount the defensive system, and anyway Redden is likely to benefit from playing in front of Lundqvist as much as anyone else.
He might end up servicable, but that was one heck of a deal NYR signed him to, and he's declined every year since the lockout.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 10:14 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
McCabe was always better than Redden.....and that became perfectly clear as soon as Redden lost having Chara soak up all the #1 defenseman minutes.
even after chara left, redden was not given the '#1 d-man minutes". He was allways the third defenceman, after the shutdown pair. All those chara minutes were distributed to volchenkov and meszaros.