HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Outside looking in?........Jamtin, Nedved, Korpikoski?

Old
08-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Ok...

Name a free agent that signed with a team and got waived after training camp...Much like how you couldn't name a player that was traded right after signing a contract you won't come up with a guy for this question either...

The Rangers pursued and signed Rissmiller in the first few hours of free agency Do you really think they will waive this player for a bad training camp? You realize that camp isn't the only way a team evaluates a player...They will also take into account ya know..what the player has done in his career...ya know the reasons they signed him in the first place......

You have training camp to see who fits in with who etc.....Do you see ANY real spots open for anybody to advance? Seriously, look at the roster and tell me it isn't set?

Even if Rissmiller bombs their is a 99% chance he is making the team out of camp....To think otherwise is wishful thinking....
Brad Isbister in NY?

Rissmiller came here for 1m gauranteed. Nothing else. He have not earned anything else besides a real shot in camp.

Also this time of year allot of fans is always worried about how these things will play out. But during Renney's tenture here in NY he have never played a kid "too late" so to speak. On the countryary kids like Prucha was rushed into the league. If a kid is good enough he will get to play from the start. Like both Dawes and Dubinsky put vets in the stands.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Brad Isbister in NY?

Rissmiller came here for 1m gauranteed. Nothing else. He have not earned anything else besides a real shot in camp.

Also this time of year allot of fans is always worried about how these things will play out. But during Renney's tenture here in NY he have never played a kid "too late" so to speak. On the countryary kids like Prucha was rushed into the league. If a kid is good enough he will get to play from the start. Like both Dawes and Dubinsky put vets in the stands.
Brad Isbister was traded for mis-season...Not courted and signed two hours after he became a free agent..

what "vets" do the Rangers have to put in the stands? Unless a trade is made or an injury happens in camp the only open spot in camp is the 7th defenseman...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 04:59 PM
RANGERS2448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
So why have training camp? You do realize that since Renney has been here a rookie has made the team out of training camp every year right? And if you really don't believe if Dawes puts up goose eggs across the board in preseason his status for a sure roster spot doesn't go away?

Ok lets say 5 preseason games go by

Dawes- 5gp 0g 0a 0pts
Korpikoski- 5gp 3g 3a 6pts
Nedved- 4gp 1g 3a 4pts
Jessiman 4gp 2g 0a 2pts but plays very physical and has some nice fights.

One roster spot left to give at training camp, who do you give that last spot to? Dawes? If thats the case what kind of message does that send to a guy like Korp? Or you want him to leave like Baranka did also?

I know this is silly but i'm just trying to make a point of why we have training camp and preseason.

so if Zherdev, naslund, gomez, drury, dawes, dubinsky. 5gp 0g 0a 0pts or staal is a -4 we should get rid of them. some players have proven them selfs already and preseason is to see what kids will fill the holes not to kick players who we already know what they can do through out a season

RANGERS2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERS2448 View Post
so if Zherdev, naslund, gomez, drury, dawes, dubinsky. 5gp 0g 0a 0pts or staal is a -4 we should get rid of them. some players have proven them selfs already and preseason is to see what kids will fill the holes not to kick players who we already know what they can do through out a season
How can you put Dawes in the same statement with Naslund, Gomez, and Drury? Those three are proven NHL players, Naslund was a star. Those guys make the team but preseason will decide what roles/lines they will be on. Dawes is anything but a proven NHL player.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 06:18 PM
cccya

Rissmiller signed a 3 year contract, not a one year. Yes a late bloomer, but he did a very good job in San Jose. He did exactly what he asked for. He played in virtually every game, regular season and playoffs, on a far superior Sharks team over the last two seasons. He is very effective penalty killer and I have no doubt that he will earn regular ice time with the Rangers.

cccya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 10:55 PM
Hockey2000nyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccya View Post
Rissmiller signed a 3 year contract, not a one year. Yes a late bloomer, but he did a very good job in San Jose. He did exactly what he asked for. He played in virtually every game, regular season and playoffs, on a far superior Sharks team over the last two seasons. He is very effective penalty killer and I have no doubt that he will earn regular ice time with the Rangers.
wrong voros signed a 3-year deal, riismiller signed a one year deal....

and only the highly paid players are GUARANTEES to make the team, unless of course your overly paid and on the back end of your career.....

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Garfinkel1

If we have so much depth in prospects and Prucha is expendable, why not give him a year with some good ice time, line mates and trade him at draft day when his stock is a lot higher. (assuming he nets 15+). Maybe use him to move up like 5-10 spots in the draft and grab another potential star. We have so much depth, we really should be trying to move up in spots in the first round for a few years. Lets say we Rangers get 30th or 31st pick , we trade prucha, our 1st and a 3rd for a top 10 pick? Maybe even trade Korp, Jessiman and a 1st(25-31st overall) for Mid-level prospect and 1st(top 10)?

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 08:53 PM
cccya

No, you're wrong. Rissmiller signed a 3 year deal. They both signed the same deal.

Old
08-10-2008, 09:24 PM
squishy

Quote:
No, you're wrong. Rissmiller signed a 3 year deal. They both signed the same deal.
According to NHL Numbers, NHLSCap/HockeyBuzz, and Blueshirt Bulletin, Rissmiller is signed for 1 year.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.p...YR&season=0809
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=NYR
http://www.blueshirtbulletin.com/200...tc-not-ac.html

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Argument over, squishy wins

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 12:40 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Argument over, squishy wins
yup, he kicked his ass

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 12:51 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
How many free agents are courted, signed, and then waived after a bad training camp?
There's a thread on the free agent forum discussing this very thing. One poster offered a couple examples:

Jonas Hoglund:

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...p?player=15201

Quote:
Hoglund went on to play four seasons with the Leafs before being acquired by the Florida Panthers in the summer of 2003. However, Hoglund would never see any action with the Panthers and sudsequently found a home with Davos in the Swiss National League.
Quote:
Signed as a free agent by Florida, September 4, 2003. Signed as a free agent by HC Davos (Swiss), October 15, 2003.
Mike Weaver:

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph..._off_the_wire/

Quote:
Canucks Pick Weaver off the Wire
by Alanah McGinley on 10/02/07 at 01:33 PM

The Vancouver Canucks have picked up defenseman Mike Weaver off waivers from the Pittsburgh Penguins. According to the stats at the NHLPA website, Weaver’s salary for this season is $600,000.

**Weaver was only signed by the Penguins on August 8th. A 1-year, 2 way contract.
So it does happen. I'm sure you'll say they're still not the same situation for whatever reason, but IMO Rissmiller is a marginal player, as were both the players mentioned above at the time they were signed. They were both comparable age to Rissmiller as well. Hoglund was 31 and Weaver was 29. Rissmiller will be 30 in 2 months. I'd bet that there are more examples.

None of that is to suggest that Rissmiller won't be on the team this year. It is only to prove that signing a 1 year UFA deal doesn't guarantee him a spot.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 12:52 PM
cccya

I guess you can wait and see, but none of those reports are official and his contract terms are undisclosed from any real sources, I can guarantee that Rissmiller signed a 3 year, $3,000,000 deal on July 1st. This is 100% fact.

Old
08-11-2008, 01:00 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
I guess you can wait and see, but none of those reports are official and his contract terms are undisclosed from any real sources, I can guarantee that Rissmiller signed a 3 year, $3,000,000 deal on July 1st. This is 100% fact.
and the point to sign and old 4th liner is to make the fans i think its 1 year, voros is on a 3 year deal.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 01:32 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It's a fact, yet it hasn't been disclosed? Unless you are his mom, his agent or Rissmiller himself, how do you know, might I ask?

If he did indeed sign a 3 year deal then I'd agree that it does guarantee his spot (big difference between a 1 year and 3 year deal). If so, then it's likely that someone else is out the door.

Whatever the truth, at least some of the 23 spots are up for grabs in training camp. Voros can fight so I'd say Orr is on the bubble. Fritsche may take over 4th line center from Betts. And Prucha is on the bubble, depending on who you ask.

Old
08-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

please, no Nedved

please, no Nedved

please, no Nedved

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubinskyNYR17 View Post
and the point to sign and old 4th liner is to make the fans i think its 1 year, voros is on a 3 year deal.
Voros replaces Orr as he is a FA next yr........then Byers can come up

Rissmiller likely goes and so does Betts which opens the door for Cherapanov and Amisinev or Korpikoski

Plus they have depth they can trade in a 3 for 1 deal this yr

Depth is not a bad thing

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post

Rissmiller likely goes and so does Betts which opens the door for Cherapanov and Amisinev or Korpikoski

Depth is not a bad thing

Depth certainly isn't a bad thing. However, it would seem that the majority of our depth is limited to 3rd and 4th liners.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

Depth is not a bad thing
Betts is not going anywhere. As has been discussed many times, he is a prototypical 4th line center...he accepts that role and relishes it.

What do you want to do? Bring Anisimov up to play 6 minutes a night on the 4th line? I can see Drury moving to the wing in the next couple of years, which would allow the centers to be:
1. Gomez
2. Dubinsky
3. Anisimov
4. Betts

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 02:52 PM
D713B

Quote:
Voros replaces Orr as he is a FA next yr
Theres no way Voros replaces Orr as our heavyweight. Orr will be in there against teams with tough line-ups and legit heavyweights. Voros, while willing to drop the gloves, is a pretty awful fighter. He can hardly handle middleweights. While he brings more offense than Orr he's no replacement for Orr with the gloves off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2MyUQNvmZI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ7me4FPipw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdLSL...eature=related

Last edited by D713B: 08-11-2008 at 02:59 PM.
D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 03:17 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
Theres no way Voros replaces Orr as our heavyweight. Orr will be in there against teams with tough line-ups and legit heavyweights. Voros, while willing to drop the gloves, is a pretty awful fighter. He can hardly handle middleweights. While he brings more offense than Orr he's no replacement for Orr with the gloves off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2MyUQNvmZI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ7me4FPipw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdLSL...eature=related
ok the first video i like, prucha got knocked down and struds comes to the aid, i wonder why we let struds go, will reddan, rozsival or any of our other dman do that? i doubt it. this team needs to stick up for each other more often.

Old
08-11-2008, 03:35 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
ok the first video i like, prucha got knocked down and struds comes to the aid, i wonder why we let struds go, will reddan, rozsival or any of our other dman do that? i doubt it. this team needs to stick up for each other more often.
Not sure who will come to his aid, but you can bet Prucha will still get knocked down

Old
08-11-2008, 04:11 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Not sure who will come to his aid, but you can bet Prucha will still get knocked down
maybe nedved will since both are czech LOL

Old
08-11-2008, 11:22 PM
mti79

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
2 things: First of all, if Voros can't handle Struds, then he sure won't be able to handle Brashear, Laraque, and the other heavyweights that Colton takes on. Maybe it was just that he couldn't handle the power of the stache.....

Secondly, watch the video before you just decide to become the next one to jump on the anti-Prucha bandwagon. The guy didn't go down. He spun out of it and went to the bench for a change cause he lost his stick.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
2 things: First of all, if Voros can't handle Struds, then he sure won't be able to handle Brashear, Laraque, and the other heavyweights that Colton takes on. Maybe it was just that he couldn't handle the power of the stache.....

Secondly, watch the video before you just decide to become the next one to jump on the anti-Prucha bandwagon. The guy didn't go down. He spun out of it and went to the bench for a change cause he lost his stick.
He went down this time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKm57J9JyGo

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote