HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Short Hansen interview

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-08-2008, 04:27 AM
  #26
Kmaz
Registered User
 
Kmaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey View Post
There's too many NHL caliber players and salaries ahead of Hansen for him to
play on the nucks this year

No room on the top 6 with
Bernier, Wellwood and Raymond

and he's not good enough

No room on the bottom 6
Pettinger
Pyatt
Burrows
Hordichuk
Johnson
Kesler

So unless there's a rash of injuries or they trade someone for his benefit
which is doubtful... its the Moose for him this year.

Don't forget he was the 287th player pick out of 291 players in the
2004 draft. 296 players were picked before him for a reason. The nucks
picked him in the 9th round because... well they had to pick someone

But give him credit... he is beating the odds... at least played a few NHL games a
couple years ago
It sounds like you're ready to write him off based on the fact that we have a good bottom 6. We'll see how he performs at camp; draft position wont matter, and desptite getting some games in he wont be content with his current glory.

Kmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 05:10 AM
  #27
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Huh? Pettinger was one of our decent players down the strech. I think he scored 4 goals or something down that strech as well
I'm not complaining about his play, I just think he hasn't really established a real defined role on this team yet. Just a solid, decent but not great guy at everything. Kinda like Smolinski was except Pettinger was obviously more successful here.

If you get rid of Pettinger, you might not even notice that he's gone-- You get rid of Pyatt, and I easily see it becoming a problem.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 05:49 AM
  #28
Jake
Registered User
 
Jake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oxford, UK
Country: Denmark
Posts: 184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey View Post
Don't forget he was the 287th player pick out of 291 players in the
2004 draft. 296 players were picked before him for a reason. The nucks
picked him in the 9th round because... well they had to pick someone
Meh, I'm biased, I know. Just remember that Hansen were playing in the largely unscouted Danish league when he got drafted. He were ranked a lot higher by the scouting services, but without having seen him play regularly, he were a gamble.

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 07:58 AM
  #29
tantalum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Missouri
Posts: 10,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
He's still got to earn the spot though.
Absolutely. I think that is one of the reasons there are too many bottom 6 guys for the spots. Gillis wants there to be competition in camp for those spots and a continual competition through the year. A bottom 6 guy assured of a position with no one pushing him can be a lazy bottom 6 player.

I don't expect a Pyatt or Pettinger to be moved before camp, unless they complete a good deal. I can see them moved shortly after camp though if a kid or two perform well in camp.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 08:35 AM
  #30
Ajackalit
Registered User
 
Ajackalit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Meh, I'm biased, I know. Just remember that Hansen were playing in the largely unscouted Danish league when he got drafted. He were ranked a lot higher by the scouting services, but without having seen him play regularly, he were a gamble.
You sir, are correct. Kyle Woodlief (red line report) had him rated as one of the potential sleepers of the draft, going so far as to suggest he was worthy of a third round pick.

Quote:
Pittsburgh, PA: We've seen some talk about Jannik Hansen, a very fast and talented skater from Denmark. What do you think about his countryman, Peter Regin? Regin, according to some, may be the highest Dane selected ever in an NHL entry draft, but I haven't seen too much hype about him. Where do you project him to go, where would you take him, and what do you think his upside is in the NHL?

Kyle Woodlief: I love Hansen as one of the real sleepers in this draft. I'd take him as high as the 3rd round. But I really can't stand Regin - he's is a terrific goalscorer with a great shot, but very soft and scared when playing against physical teams. Shies away from contact and is not willing to compete hard for the puck or go to traffic areas. Someone will take him in the top 4-5 rounds, but I hope for his sake the team that drafts him doesn't have a Sutter or Keenan coaching.
http://cgi1.usatoday.com/mchat/20040623004/tscript.htm


http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...woodlief_x.htm

Ajackalit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 10:34 AM
  #31
ItsAllPartOfThePlan
Registered User
 
ItsAllPartOfThePlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2agingmonk View Post
I'm not complaining about his play, I just think he hasn't really established a real defined role on this team yet. Just a solid, decent but not great guy at everything. Kinda like Smolinski was except Pettinger was obviously more successful here.

If you get rid of Pettinger, you might not even notice that he's gone-- You get rid of Pyatt, and I easily see it becoming a problem.
I guess I don't see it that way. At this point, Pyatt is just a big body out there. I might notice it on the PP as he usually sets up a pretty nice screen, but other than that there isn't much I'd miss.

IF he ever starts to play with a bit of a mean streak though...

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 12:38 PM
  #32
RainbowDeathBunny
Registered User
 
RainbowDeathBunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 356
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to RainbowDeathBunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey View Post
Don't forget he was the 287th player pick out of 291 players in the
2004 draft. 296 players were picked before him for a reason. The nucks
picked him in the 9th round because... well they had to pick someone

Right...Henrik Zetterberg was picked 210th in the 7th round in the 1999 draft. I guess 209 players were picked before him for a reason as well.

I'm not saying Hansen is the next coming ofr Zetterberg, but writing someone off simply because of their draft position has to be 1 of the weakest arguments ever.

RainbowDeathBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 02:14 PM
  #33
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
I guess I don't see it that way. At this point, Pyatt is just a big body out there. I might notice it on the PP as he usually sets up a pretty nice screen, but other than that there isn't much I'd miss.

IF he ever starts to play with a bit of a mean streak though...
I think you're selling him short. Outside of the Sedins and Kesler-Burrows, Pyatt was the only catalyst we had on any other line. Without him, Raymond/Shannon couldn't get anything done, neither could Raymond/Jaffray or Cooke-Morrison, or even Kesler to a lesser extent before Burrows caught on fire (That Cooke-Kesler-Burrows line had trouble putting the puck in the net whereas that Pyatt-Kesler-Isbister line seemed to make things much easier for Kesler). In a sense, he's the best complement forward we have, and was in a way even a bigger driving force for this team than Morrison/Naslund (who more or less NEEDED the Sedins/Pyatt/Kesler/Burrows to produce). Pettinger COULD end up being as effective, as technically I wouldn't call him any worse of a player, but he hasn't managed to have a real role or legitimate impact on this team yet. Pyatt, along with Kesler/Burrows are integral to what little secondary scoring we have.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 02:21 PM
  #34
Kid_Roll
Registered User
 
Kid_Roll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,538
vCash: 500
I forgot how good the Shannon/Raymond/Pyatt line looked last year. Though that was before "The Injury" to Pyatt's face that made him regress into a pansy again.



I will say it's a very good argument that Pyatt is a great complimentary player. For his price, I still like him very much as a player, and I think he is very underated defensively, but regardless of all his pros, I don't want him anywhere near our top 6.


So if Pyatt can manage to play with Kesler and Burrows, I would be pretty happy next year, as I think he could give them even more room, and hell, maybe the grit of Kes and Burrows will rub off on Pyatt and force him to play a bit more physical when the other team goes after the Terror Twins in Kes and Burr.

In a perfect world Pyatt finds his game, and decides to play like the monster he did during that 3 week stretch all year next year and all of a sudden we have a 60 point 2nd liner on our hand, but looking at it objectively, the odds of that happening are slim at best.

A Pyatt on top of his game, though, would play nicely with Demitra/Raymond, allowing everyone to have their Kesler/Burrows/Hansen line.


(My end point being if Sundin for some magical leprechaun related reason signs with us, I would rather deal away Pettinger and cut Cowan to make the salary cap room.)

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 02:32 PM
  #35
1strounder
 
1strounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
I hope Hansen is one of the many good young prospects that make an impact with the Canucks!

GO CANUCKS GO!

1strounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 02:42 PM
  #36
hackey
You're Not Bored...
 
hackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: You're Boring
Posts: 2,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonGG View Post
Right...Henrik Zetterberg was picked 210th in the 7th round in the 1999 draft. I guess 209 players were picked before him for a reason as well.

I'm not saying Hansen is the next coming ofr Zetterberg, but writing someone off simply because of their draft position has to be 1 of the weakest arguments ever.
Sure it's good and natural for fans to root for the underdog... but realistically
the odds of Hansen making the team are really stack against him.

There are just too many NHL caliber players, salary and most importantly politics
ahead of him. The only chance he has is he having a killer camp where he is the
best player on the ice every day.

And his draft position is important as it comes down to politics. If he and say...
Grabner were fighting for the last spot on the roster and even if Hansen was
marginally better... Grabner would get the spot, simply because he was a first
round pick. Politics whether you like it or not does come into play.

Also Al Vino is on a short leash this year. If there are drastic injuries, Hansen
will be on the pecking list to fill an injury spot. Otherwise its the Moose for him...
just like last year.

hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 03:31 PM
  #37
sticknrink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,718
vCash: 500
It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that Hansen will play with Burrows and Kesler on the third line. He was all but assured that spot last season but didn't get it due to injury.

The first and third lines are set: Sedins-Bernier, Burr-Kesler-Hansen. Demitra is on the second with Raymond, the center position is up in the air. The fourth line will consist of whoever else impresses.

Pettinger was invisible and a non-factor last year. Pyatt is kind of redundant.

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 08:36 PM
  #38
R0bert0 Lu0ng0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknrink View Post
It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that Hansen will play with Burrows and Kesler on the third line. He was all but assured that spot last season but didn't get it due to injury.
Can you back these claims up with a source of some sort, or are they your opinion/speculation?

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 03:16 AM
  #39
Zorbane
Registered User
 
Zorbane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Can you back these claims up with a source of some sort, or are they your opinion/speculation?
Didn't AV say last year that Burrows wasn't assured a roster spot?

Zorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 03:22 AM
  #40
nuck4life*
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 454
vCash: 500
the problem about having hansen in our lineup is that pyatt/pettinger would be useless

nuck4life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 03:36 AM
  #41
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey View Post
Sure it's good and natural for fans to root for the underdog... but realistically
the odds of Hansen making the team are really stack against him.

There are just too many NHL caliber players, salary and most importantly politics
ahead of him. The only chance he has is he having a killer camp where he is the
best player on the ice every day.

And his draft position is important as it comes down to politics. If he and say...
Grabner were fighting for the last spot on the roster and even if Hansen was
marginally better... Grabner would get the spot, simply because he was a first
round pick. Politics whether you like it or not does come into play.

Also Al Vino is on a short leash this year. If there are drastic injuries, Hansen
will be on the pecking list to fill an injury spot. Otherwise its the Moose for him...
just like last year.
I disagree, the whole first round pick politics thing is a bit moot as Gillis isn't the one who made those picks. He could care less if they pan out accordingly. On top of which, Hansen isn't exactly some talentless scrub who just happened to play out of his mind and impress at camp, who it's pretty much a given that he won't have as much potential as a first rounder-- he's ACTUALLY improved to the point where I honestly think that the organization is every bit as high on him as they are on Grabner, maybe even more-so-- He's widely considered a better prospect. We aren't talking about Rypien or Brown here.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 01:53 PM
  #42
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck
 
ImGoingNucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coquitlam BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Meh, I'm biased, I know. Just remember that Hansen were playing in the largely unscouted Danish league when he got drafted. He were ranked a lot higher by the scouting services, but without having seen him play regularly, he were a gamble.
WAS, WAS, WAAAAS

ImGoingNucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 04:38 PM
  #43
Vector
Registered User
 
Vector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Junktown
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbane View Post
Didn't AV say last year that Burrows wasn't assured a roster spot?
Aye, you're correct. Both AV and Burrows stated that hos job was on the line if he didn't produce more offense.

Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.