HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Update on Jagr and Cherepanov/Cherepanov Interview

Old
08-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Turambar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
What I don't understand, is that this kid is doing the right thing and honoring his contract. Wouldn't we want him to do the same if he was with us? I say bravo to any player in any league that mans up and honors the contracts that he signs.
You're right, him honoring the remainder of his contract is a good thing, but what people are questioning, I think, is if that was true motivation, or whether it was just incidental. Did he stay there "to honor his contract" while privately wanting to come to North America? or did he not want to come over this year anyway, so "staying to honor his contract" with simply an easy out?

I tend to think it was the latter. Not that there's anything wrong with that....yet. After all, he's only like 19 years old, he's just a kid. I can't imagine having left my family here when I was 19 to cross the world to play hockey in Siberia, and not knowing a word of their language. Can any of us truly grasp just how terrifying that must be??

I don't think any of us are upset that he decided to stay this year, for whatever reason. The concern is really that Bardin is going to make an absolutely enormous effort to keep Cherepanov over there past this season, and I feel it's more likely than not that he stays over there, for at least a few more years.

All us Ranger fans always talk and question how any hockey play could possibly ever choose not to play in New York, the self-described "greatest city in the world". Yet the reality is that not everyone feels so strongly, and sometimes that's not the most important factor. Think of a triple-beam balance, with different things weighing down each side. Which side weighs more heavily:

If he comes to the NHL:
-Chance to play in New York and possibly become an NHL star in the biggest market in the world.
-Must leave everything he knows behind to come halfway across the world.
-Must try to fit into a strange (to him) culture.
-Must learn to speak our language and overcome any language barrier until such time as he can speak English.
-Would be in the spotlight & subjected to an enormous amount of criticism, something many players don't like and try to actively avoid.

If he stays in Russia:
-Gets to stay in his comfort zone, in his own culture, speaking his own language, around his own family and friends. (you can't discount just how impactful this is for some people)
-Possibility of making more money in the KHL.
-Less possbility of failure and humiliation.
-Gets to play another year with his idol.
-Would easily become a dominant player in the KHL as opposed to the NHL where it's much more difficult to do so.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 06:18 PM
Ola

Johan Åkerman from Sweden played about 10 straight years in the 2nd tier league in Sweden, for a small city team far up north too, then broke through as a 34 y/o in the SEL as a PP QB/offensive D and now got a huge contract in the KHL -- atleast 10x his salary (almost 2m USD per season).

His comment on playing in the KHL -- "its a huge adjustment off the ice to say the least. But on the ice its been ok".

For me knowing the conditions that comment says allot. This is a guy who have harved in the lower divisions in Sweden his entire career. Always travelling by bus. Playing the majority of games with less then 300 souls i the stands. In Skellefteå where he played there is barely 3 hrs of sun in winter time. Basically -20 celsius for month winter time (besides these last warm winters). Down to -40 celsius when its really could.

If he's complaining on the off ice conditions in Russia that much, its probably worse then many on here can imagine. That league will be able to lure home a couple of Russians and maybe a odd forigneer -- but not much more.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Johan Åkerman from Sweden played about 10 straight years in the 2nd tier league in Sweden, for a small city team far up north too, then broke through as a 34 y/o in the SEL as a PP QB/offensive D and now got a huge contract in the KHL -- atleast 10x his salary (almost 2m USD per season).

His comment on playing in the KHL -- "its a huge adjustment off the ice to say the least. But on the ice its been ok".

For me knowing the conditions that comment says allot. This is a guy who have harved in the lower divisions in Sweden his entire career. Always travelling by bus. Playing the majority of games with less then 300 souls i the stands. In Skellefteå where he played there is barely 3 hrs of sun in winter time. Basically -20 celsius for month winter time (besides these last warm winters). Down to -40 celsius when its really could.

If he's complaining on the off ice conditions in Russia that much, its probably worse then many on here can imagine. That league will be able to lure home a couple of Russians and maybe a odd forigneer -- but not much more.
Well considering Cherepanov is Russian and is already playing there, and Zherdev, despite being from Ukraine, grew up in the RSL, I think I'd be somewhat concerned if I were Rangers management.

In 5 years, we can either have a team that includes both Zherdev & Cherepanov, or we can have a team that includes one or neither of them.

The timing of the formation of the new KHL is poor, without a doubt, and it's a cause for concern for Rangers fans, despite the wishful thinking around here.

Old
08-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Avy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

Why you think its about off ice conditions in Akerman case? Jagr is happy, americanized Yashin is happy even gangsta Emery is happy but Johan Akerman from 2nd tier league complain about off ice conditions after he signed with Lokomotiv, team with very good facilities and organization, which placed in good old Yaroslavl? I think you misunderstood him.

Avy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 12:27 AM
Blazephr

In todays President Cup tournament game, the former NYR captain & now Avangard Omsk winger Jaromir Jagr scored a goal & assist for Avangard Omsk against Moscow's Spartacus. Spartacus won 3:2.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 03:53 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
It wasn't about money. He was offered as much, if not more than he's getting in Omsk to play in Edmonton, but again, only for one year. Jagr wanted to know a team was committed to him, and that he wasn't going to have to go through this whole thing again next summer.
It wasn't about the money but you neglect to note that (by all reported accounts) his $4M+ is all tax free so to get equal buck in the USA, he'd have to get a $8M+ contract and I don't know if taxes in Canada are still really high but given the weak dollar it probably evens out up there at $8M+

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 05:31 AM
Avy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
It wasn't about the money but you neglect to note that (by all reported accounts) his $4M+ is all tax free so to get equal buck in the USA, he'd have to get a $8M+ contract and I don't know if taxes in Canada are still really high but given the weak dollar it probably evens out up there at $8M+
Oh my gawd its getting old Radulov just said he is like everybody in Salavat roaster must pay taxes and same with Jagr... and nobody actually know czech law Jagr maybe even paid his taxes in czech rates.

Old
08-08-2008, 06:48 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Jagr was willing to take $4m + bonuses (for targets similar to what his option year was tied to, not a ridiculous "10 games played earns me an extra $2m" bonus like Shanny had last year) but he wanted the security of a 2-year deal. Slats wouldn't budge. So Jagr left.

It wasn't about money. He was offered as much, if not more than he's getting in Omsk to play in Edmonton, but again, only for one year. Jagr wanted to know a team was committed to him, and that he wasn't going to have to go through this whole thing again next summer.

Ultimately, that Jagr's not in NY this season was Sather's decision, not Jagr's. He was more than willing to take a home town discount, he just wanted to know he'd have the same home town for more than a year if he did.

Don't think you can give someone a 2 year deal with bonuses. Has to be a one year deal, so I doubt that he was willing to take a one year, $4 mill deal with bonuses

It was ultimately both of their decisions. Sather obviously wasn't going to do everything it took to keep him, and Jagr obviously wasn't going to do everything it took to stay there.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 06:04 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Don't think you can give someone a 2 year deal with bonuses. Has to be a one year deal, so I doubt that he was willing to take a one year, $4 mill deal with bonuses
Can't even give the bonuses on a 1 year deal right now, not until the NHLPA agrees to extend the CBA.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Bobby Granger

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Granger
Time will tell right?

Bobby Granger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 02:41 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

If Omsk performs well, and JJ is having fun winning he may very well desire Cherepenov to stay with the Russian team.

He could wield as much influence on the kid staying in Russia as he could on encouraging the move to the NHL.

This is the worry about the KHL. Jagr gives them a real bona fide proven elite STAR. If he shows he still has the magic and the team is excited, a young Cherry could prefer more money and playing with his idol over the prestige of the NHL.

I'd say Cherepenovs future is more a mystery now than on draft day 07.

Funny how the web gets weaved sometimes huh?

08-12-2008, 03:21 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post

Funny how the web gets weaved sometimes huh?
Woven, you mean?

And yes, indeed it is. Who'd have thought, back on draft day '07, that after only a single season, Jagr & Cherepanov would indeed be playing together, but that it would be in Russia?

Old
08-12-2008, 09:43 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

oops yes woven....

We all thought how great it was Jagr was his idol. That he would relish playing with JJ so much he might wiggle out of his contract in Omsk.

Now we wonder what advice will Jagr offer the young Cherepenov?

Somehow I don't see Jaromir treating Omsk as an extension of the Rangers farm system. Grooming Cherry for the NHL? I'm sure Jagr would like to have the best team possible with him in Omsk. I know I would.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 12:25 AM
Avy*

Really hate to break it but people should filtrate these extensive interviews

Jagr is not Cherepenov idol Cherepanov is not Omsk superstar and Jagr is not "mentor"

They just trying to be nice in interviews with fans. Ofcourse 1 minutes after the draft Cherepanov immediately become personal fan of Jagr instead of Sakic... oh and Jags with his pieces of wisdom "better start working harder if you want to play in NHL".

Old
08-13-2008, 12:39 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post

Jagr is not Cherepenov idol Cherepanov is not Omsk superstar and Jagr is not "mentor"

They just trying to be nice in interviews with fans. Ofcourse 1 minutes after the draft Cherepanov immediately become personal fan of Jagr instead of Sakic... oh and Jags with his pieces of wisdom "better start working harder if you want to play in NHL".
Good quote IMO!

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 10:49 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Regardless of the past they are teammates now in the present. Jagr is likely to influence his younger teammates.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post

Wow, someone's bitter.

Old
08-13-2008, 11:30 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

i trust jags to give cherry the best advice, and suspect that he will recommend the NHL

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
Wow, someone's bitter.
Bitter about what? Most of what he said is correct. Cherepanov did list Sakic as his favorite player until he was drafted by the Rangers. I'm sure Jagr was a big favorite of his as well and so it's not completely dishonest of him to say he's excited to play on the same team as Jagr.

And yeah, Cherepanov isn't a superstar yet, he has the potential to be a great player, but he's not there yet.

Though I don't doubt that Jagr is working with Cherepanov somewhat, since it was explicitly mentioned and we know from his Ranger days that Jagr will work with younger players on things. Yeah he's probably not a mentor, but just teammates working on things together.

Ultimately Jagr isn't going to make the choice for Cherepanov, and no matter how much he might help him, he's not going to magically make Cherepanov a great player. That's all on Cherepanov. He'll have to work hard, improve all areas of his game, and make up his own mind on whether or not he wants to come play in the NHL.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote